2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 39 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Exactly! And after you've played it from the sheet music 1,000 times, you know just where each section is...so you have no trouble glancing up and finding it on the sheet music. laugh

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
MaryRose: I never thought of myself as an "inspiration" to others...but thank you very much.
You are an inspriation to everyone, Kathleen. And your love of music and dedication is contagious! (In a good way, of course!)

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
shocked but heart heart for your kind words.

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I was just wondering what you are playing now. I know at least 3/4 of you are finished with the 55.1.

What are you now learning?

Thanks (actually, this is a post to get even with the page one thread)

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Me again, for the same reason.

Are any of you going to participate in the recital in Feb.? If so, what do you plan on playing.

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Guess who??

I vowed I wasn't going to take part in the recital because my recording equipment (well, in a word) stinks. I CAN'T sound that bad.

I'll play around with it some more. It takes almost a day to figure out the best place to put the mic and how to set Audacity. Then when it works for one song, it doesn't for another!!

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hmmm.

I would like to record on my grand because I like the sound and the touch, but when I record, you can hear the sound board shimmying (sp?). I am having it tuned in Feb. on the 9th, so maybe that will help.

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Kathleen, those time capsule recordings sounded OK, didn't they? I think your recording technique improved.

I got given some money for my birthday so hope to buy a Zoom very soon! Whether or not I can then get it to work is another matter.

Technophobic of somewhere near London

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
That's sounds great, MaryRose. You are one very smart lady, and I have no doubt you'll have yours up and running in no time. So anxious to hear you play.

Kathleen

I was just wondering what you are playing now. I know at least 3/4 of you are finished with the 55.1.

What are you now learning?

Thanks (actually, this is a post to get even with the page one thread)

Kathleen
I've been working on the funburger challenge piece (black keys) since mid-December.

The Feb recital will be my first 'recital' in... I don't know, 8-9 years. I'm hoping to have black keys done since it's short, but that might be too tough technically. So I'm preparing some Chopin waltzes too.

What about you?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Gosh, Sarah, you must be really talented. I love the way you casually throw in "I'm preparing some Chopin waltzes too." For me that would be a six-month event, not a quick last-minute filler! I'm really looking forward to hearing what you play, whatever it is (so long as it's Chopin).

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Ditto for me, Sarah. Ah, to be at that point in our piano prowess that we can "throw in" anything would be a dream come true for me and I'm certain, others. smile

I have a piece that I HOPE I will have ready. It's a "modified" version of Rach's Variation on Paginni's 18th. It is not difficult to play at all. Any second year student could probably handle it. For for some weird reason (I think it's the broken chords and arpeggios in the LH that throw me off). Some sections are somewhat alike and that's where I get mixed up as to what arpeggios goes where!! confused

I started learning this last May, would you believe? eek Of course, I was learning about 8 other pieces also. But, I knew I had to memorize it to play it better. And that's what is giving me such a headache!!

Last Monday, I said to myself: "Self, this is the week you are going to do nothing but memorize that Rach composition." And, I glad to say that I've finally have. laugh

However, if/when I submit it to the recital, I am still going to have the sheet music in front of me.

Also, I do so love to play it on my grand, but the recording quality sounds TERRIBLE. So I have to play it on my Clavinova, which...since I haven't played it in a long time, is in serious need of some adjustments. The lower register just BOOMS bah at the slightest touch.

Oh well, did I write this once before? It all seems so familiar.

Kathleen

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Last Monday, I said to myself: "Self, this is the week you are going to do nothing but memorize that Rach composition." And, I glad to say that I've finally have. laugh
Well done, Kathleen! You are a determined and focused lady.

Originally posted by maryrose:
Gosh, Sarah, you must be really talented. I love the way you casually throw in "I'm preparing some Chopin waltzes too." For me that would be a six-month event, not a quick last-minute filler! I'm really looking forward to hearing what you play, whatever it is (so long as it's Chopin).
Well, actually, they are the same ones that I played as a kid. I'm kind of resucitating (sp?)them in case I need them for the recital.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm resuscitating my kid stuff too. Only in my case I've regressed to grade six frown

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I can't even remember what I played as a kid!! laugh

Oh, I take that back. I do remember playing Fur Elise. There is not enough money in the world to pay me to resuscitate that one. eek

On second thought, I might do it for a million but not a dollar less. wink And with permission that I can wear ear plugs.

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I got the Zoom yesterday. I'm going to have to play around with it a bit so I may not have time to do a decent recording of the Nocturne until the weekend, but it seems pretty easy to use. I did a quick test -- and what I noticed was that my pedaling is not very consistent. Sometimes I lift the pedal too soon at the end of a phrase and the result is a choppy sound. Sigh.

BTW, the SD card that comes with the Zoom doesn't hold a lot of data. It looks like it has room for about 12 minutes of music recording in MP3 mode. Recording in one of the WAV options, there's only room for about 4 minutes.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for you Zoom report, Piano again. I am wondering if one of my digital camera cards will fit when I get my Zoom ... anyway I can't play more than 12 mins worth of music!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's easy to get more cards, though prices can vary. I've seen them priced from about $35 to about $90 for the 2GB cards. Here's what the blurb says about it:

"The H4 records on to Secure Digital (SD) media, a 128MB SD card is included with the unit. With a 2GB SD memory card, the H4 provides up to 380 minutes of recording in 16-bit mode (CD Quality), and 34 hours in MP3 stereo mode."

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Well, MaryRose...can't you just see us recording 34 hours of music? laugh

Kathleen

Page 35 of 39 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission