2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Howdy all,
In November I bought a Kawai K60 (Varitouch) that is 52 inches high and cannot find an adequate piano lamp. Can anyone give me some advice. It is 18 inches from the top of my piano to the music desk located (unfortunately) inside my keyboard cover. I'm beginning to believe that none of the people who designed these lamps for piano ever played one. My old lamp was adequate for my original rental piano because the piano was shorter and hence the light didn't have to travel as far. I'm coming to the conclusion that a really good lamp must be able to adjust in two separate places not just one; at the base where the arm meets, and also at the point where the lamp light bulbs are placed at the end of the arm . Otherwise the light does not shine on the music properly. Does anyone else have this problem? Can you recommend some particular models, manufacturers, and on-line stores? Even the bad ones are too expensive it seems.

Patrick Toomey
Charlottesville, Virginia USA
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I agree. I use a grand piano and have the same problem. I have ended up with a floor standing halogen spotlight on a flexible neck, standing beside the piano.

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
I
ilm Offline
I
Hi - I have a lamp where the poll goes up and is attached to the wall and then the lamp swings out. Does that make sense? I got it at lampsplus.com

It works because you can adjust the poll to the position you need it. I have a fluorescent bulb in the lamp.

I hope you can picture my description.

Suz Offline
You are right--I can't believe how much lamps can cost. However, I like to LOOK at the lamps sold at levenger.com, and think if I had unlimited $$$, some would be really nice to have around the house. smile

Sometimes they have sales. Maybe you could find one in their outlet section that would meet your needs (and your budget!). Their Mars floor and desk lamps are on sale, and look pretty adjustable.

On the other hand, I just use a cheap halogen floor lamp that lights up the entire room pretty well.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have this one:

piano lamp

[img]http://images.lampsplus.com/images/47884.fpx?cell=330,330&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg[/img]

It sounds like it might fit your needs. You can adjust it where the S curve thingy meets the main body of the lamp, and again at the shade. Mine is adjusted so the light fixture itself is dropped down low, almost to the base of the stand, and the shade is angled so it lands on the music stand. It's sturdy, and the base is weighted so it doesn't tilt or fall over. I have it on a 51 inch upright, also.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello,

If you want an inexpensive option, Home Depot usually has one or two traditional style piano lamps in stock for under $30.

I bought one that looks very similar to this:
[Linked Image]

but HD doesn't seem to carry it anymore. I still had to buy the optional 1-12 inch height ttachment as shown below...
[Linked Image]

I'm serious, everyone I know (3 people) who have a piano have a brass lamp sitting on a stack of old books. You can't beat simplicity.

If you do want something adjustable for real, home depot has an adjustable piano lamp that might be promising. It adjusts height up to 22 inches. I've never seen it in person, but it looks nice from the pics. Note: I can't hotlink to it, but if you are interested, it is Alsy lighting HD item# HD2507 under the lighting section of HD's site. It's just over $30
[Linked Image]

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
I found that none of the traditional piano lamps gave me enough light where I needed it - and I bought and returned a half dozen.

What worked for me was an inexpensive, flexible goose neck halogen light - the kind they sell for student desks. It ain't pretty, but it saves my eyes.

Dorrie
Dorrie

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
"House of Troy" offers a very wide assortment of lights. If you can't find one that will work on this web site then do a search. I have one that works on my old upright but will also work on a piano such as yours. "House of Troy" lamps are not cheap but they sure are a quality build. I have a two bulb version and I use 40 watts, they last me a very long time.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have a House of Troy piano lamp.
[Linked Image]

It was expensive. It looks nice. It provides good light when it works.

But it buzzes, and the bulbs work themselves loose and flicker. This is maddening. The bulbs are expensive.

I cannot recommend it.

I have a wonderful table lamp from Levenger. It uses a standard incandescent in the hooded brass top, and a halogen in the adjustable, pivoting arm. It sits on top of my upright. I've found the halogen arm adjustable enough to get it within 8 inches of my music, and it's bright enough to let me read tiny notes for hours with no eye fatigue. It was, however, $198!

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Cindysphinx,

But you have a florescent lamp. Most lamps are incandescent. Incandescent bulbs don't buzz and they are not expensive.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Quite some time ago, another poster suggested this brand in a previous piano lamp post. Maybe this isn't quite the style you're looking for, but it's worth a peek:

Koncept Technologies

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's not a florescent lamp.

The buzzing is from the loose light bulbs that rattle when I play loudly. I grind my teeth and deal with it until the light flickers. Then I try to tighten the bulb, burning my fingers.

The bulbs are these tiny things I couldn't find anywhere but the Internet. They'd last longer if my kids would turn off the piano light when they're finished. Grrrrrrrrr.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I stand corrected but I have had good luck with my House of Troy.

anon

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission