2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Many of you have purchased the Alfred book: "Chopin: An Introduction to His Piano Works."

The waltz on page 48, Op 69, #1 is so heart-breakingly beautiful. Chopin dedicated it to Marie Wodzinska, whom most believe was Chopin true and only love. His 'engagement' to her was broken because her parents did not think Chopin's prospects of providing for their daughter was very good, considering his state of health and his desire to become a successful composer.

Although she seemed upset at first, she soon got over her attraction to Chopin and eventually married a wealthy man.

However, Chopin did not "get over" his love for this young woman and to say he was deeply affected would be an understatement. He pined for her for many, many years. After his death, his sister found the letters he had saved from Maria, carefully tied together with a ribbon. And on top he wrote (in Polish): "My Sorrow"

So, I am just putting a feeler out here to see if anyone is interested in learning this waltz. If you have the CD, you know how lovely it is. It is rated as a 7. Not exactly easy in a few parts, but the melody line is relatively simple.

Just respond to this topic and we'll see how many people we get who would like to learn this waltz as a study group.

I can offer some "technical" assistance because I bought the book by Eleanor Bailie, which gives some very explicit details on how to play the piece and some practical advice on fingering, phrasing, dynamics, timing, etc.

And, of course, there will be no time limit. We'll just progress as individuals and share our insights as we go along.

Thanks,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Hi Kathleen,

I'm interested in this, as I am any Chopin piece!

However, I'm looking at it now it looks pretty tough. I'm just finishing learning the A-Minor Waltz, and that has taken about 1.5 months.

If I can play the A-Minor waltz (posth) pretty well do you think I can handle this?

When I finish working for the day I'll noodle on it at the piano.

My concern is that I'm tackling too few pieces and playing a bit above my level rather than building repertoire more firmly in my grasp. I'm also working on the Mozart K545 first movement (just started).

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi HH:

If you are just finishing the A minor, it would probably be wise if you wait a bit. The A minor is graded at a 4 (although I thought a few measures were difficult), and the Ab is a 7. That's a big difference.

Congrats that you learned the A minor in just 1.5 months. It took me much longer.

Noddle around with it when you have a chance, but I'm thinking it will take me about 2-3 months to get it to flow smoothly. I have two other newer pieces I'm learning and then trying to keep up with those I've already learned hoping that I won't forget them.

Sometimes I get the feeling I losing ground.

Regards,
Kathleen

P
P
I just looked at the sheet music for this waltz... I would absolutely love to learn it. I hear it on the radio all the time, and I think it's embedded in my subconscious now. It's also short enough that I should be able to commit to it. If you have enough interest for a group, then count me in! (If not, I'll learn it anyway wink .)

Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
(although I thought a few measures were difficult)
My guess is you'd be referencing the triplet, quintuplet run? I finally nailed that a few days ago. Best. Feeling. Ever. laugh

I'll take a look at this Ab waltz and let you know what I think.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Pianolina:

If it's just the two of us (and maybe HH) that will be just fine. How many consititutes a group anyhow??

HH: Yes, you are right about that run. I tried for a long time doing the thumb under thing. It didn't work. My teacher clued me in on just lifting the fingers off the keys, taking aim and flying upward to the next octave. (They call this the "thumb-over" method. It took me about 2 days of 30 minute sessions and I finally got it. Yes...it was a great feeling.

We'll leave the post up for a while to see if we get any others who are interested. Then, we can begin...what? in about a week?

Kathleen

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Count me in...

I've just finished 2 major pieces:
Fantasia in D minor - Mozart
Sonata Op. 49 No. 2 Movt. 1

I need a new side project.

How about starting the first of May?

Matt

J
J
Although I have a recording of this waltz at thread: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/3727.html#000000
I still have many questions about interpretation of various phrases. So please count me in.
Joe

Be happy while there is still time.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Count me in too Kathleen. I have the Palmer Intro and I've learned the Waltz in A minor. This looks like an excellent next step. It doesn't look too difficult although that "13let" as the alternate to the "8thlet" in the 12th measure looks like it might be a showstopper. I've also participated in The Entertainer Study Group and enjoyed it a lot. I've actually learned to play the thing as a result.

Doesn't everyone alternate between Chopin and Joplin? :rolleyes:

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, and I just got my Zoom today so I'll be able to post recordings. I've opened it up but haven't tried it yet. Will probably wait until Saturday to figure it out. Looks a little scary at this point but everyone says it's easy...

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This sounds like fun!!, and what a wonderful piece to study. Count me in, my progress may be a bit slower though, as I've got two of Chopin's nocturnes on the agenda also, but whats the rush right!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Count me in, too. I will not be "totally devoted" since I have some other projects. But I guess you are used to me beeing a little off and on, Kathleen wink

(I have played through the Waltz in Ab, but never put some decent work into it)

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Wow!!! Welcome...all of you. I never expected to get such a great response so quickly, or (for that matter) at all.

We certainly have enough to form a great group. I like Matt's idea of "officially" starting on May 1st.

Joe: You play it beautifully! We will be relying on both you and Ragnhild (hi, dear) to get us over some rough spots, like fingering.

Joe: I noticed that in the 11th measure you play the "ossia" differently (more notes) than the version I have. You are using the Fontana version, I believe.

Starting Over: I am been seriously thinking about buying that Zoom Mic. Please let us know how you like it. I certainly have to do something to improve the quality of my recording.

I will be using the edition posted in the Alfred book. This version is autographed by Chopin, himself, and is faithfully reproduced from the "real" one, which is now in the National Library at Warsaw. A distincly different autograph at the Paris Conservatoire is considered to be a less refined version. The post-humous edition of Jules Fontana presents a 3rd version, not substantiated by any known autograph. (However, the majority of publishers have adopted the Fontana version.) Why??

I would like to add that Fontana's version is full of embellishments that are NOT in the original version. He adds more notes in several measures.

I don't know about you, but I would like to learn the "Chopin" waltz, not the "Fontana" one.

I will be happy to send a copy of this version to anyone who needs it. That way we can all be working on the same one.

But if any of you would prefer the Fontana, that's fine. There are enough similarities that we can work with both.

Let me know...by a PM.

I look forward to starting.

Regards,
Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, this is such a lovely piece of music that I'm not waiting till May 1 to start. I'm starting now. I've got the first bit memorized now and starting to practice it. I'm playing the alternate Ossia with the 13 notes. (Kathleen, does your version show this alternate? I am using the Alfred book as well but it's probably 15 years old, or more. Obviously, it didn't come with a CD when I bought it. The scores should be the same but you never know...) The alternate Ossia is just a chromatic scale so it's actually not as hard as it looked at first. Getting it all worked in without messing up the timing is going to be a bit of a challenge though.

Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Starting Over:

Please do start right now! I have been practicing it for the last few days, putting in fingering, etc.

Yes, my version does show the Ossia with 13 notes. I will attempt to play it, but as you say, the timing will be the thing.

This really isn't an easy piece at all. Tricky, at best, but worth the trouble.

Good luck. I will be out of town from Thursday through Monday, so that's why I am trying to get a little head start on it. And for all others who want to start early, please do.

When I get back, I will comment on "how to play Chopin's waltzes" in general, from the Bailie book, which I hope will be helpful. Then gradually interject her advice and comments for specific sections. However, she is not using the same version...darn. Well, we'll work around it, someway.

Good luck to all,
Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Me too, I could not resist starting on the waltz. I also play the alternate "ossia" with 13 notes - just thought it sounded nicest.
I like the "Chopin" version, I already prefer it from the Fontana. The most surprising difference was the LH in 17 and 24, first I thought it sounded weird, but now it makes sense.
The part from 50 gave meaning in he "Chopin" version - I have always found it unlogical before.
smile

Househead78 : I find the posthumus walz in A minor about as difficult as this one, even if it is shorter. If you don't have problems with the Ab key signature you could give this one a try. I am not sure the grades always gives the right picture.

Ragnhild

J
J
Excuse my ignorance but what is Ossia?
Joe

Be happy while there is still time.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ossia is Italian and it just means "or". The version we are referring to has two possible ways of playing measure 11 : A figure with 8 notes or the "ossia" above with 13 notes.

Fontana version has 5 notes + a triplet in the same measure smile

Ragnhild

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Now that I know that Ossia means "alternate" I won't refer to that part as the "alternate Ossia" any more. That would translate to "alternate alternate" wouldn't it? Dumb me. confused

Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
wow, it has fingering. so i might be able to do it.

actually, i probably won't.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission