Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1117729 - 11/26/08 02:14 AM Yamaha C2 vs. Kemble KC173
Roxy Offline

Loc: Whittier, Calif
Hello everyone! I am new to the piano forum but have been looking at it for some time. I am a music teacher constantly keeping my eye out for pianos for my pupils so that they have something worth practicing on. I went to a couple of piano stores shopping for a student and was looking at Yamaha grand pianos. I started narrowing my search to a Yamaha C2 however when I went to the next store the sales person said that their Kemble KC173 was made by Yamaha. Is this true? He then proceeded to say that the Kemble KC173 was a better piano. When I asked what made it a better piano he said that it was prepped for European voicing and hence that made it more valuable than the Yamaha C2. Does anyone know anything about the Kemble KC173 versus the Yamaha C2? What are your thoughts on this? Also what should they both be going for price wise? I look forward to any and all input on these questions.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1117730 - 11/26/08 08:27 AM Re: Yamaha C2 vs. Kemble KC173
Donna R. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Roxy,

I can't comment about the Kemble vs Yamaha grands, but I can confirm that there's a difference in sound and build quality for the uprights. When I bought my Kemble Empire I also played the corresponding Yamaha (which was less expensive even though the showroom was dropping Kemble and consequently had slashed their prices on the Kemble pianos). Anyway, the pianos were in the same showroom and were no more than 10 ft away from each other. To my ears the Yamaha sounded thin and shrill compared to the Kemble. My husband, who's an engineer, also pointed out that there was less bracing on the Yamaha soundboard and that it was generally not finished to as high a standard as the Kemble.

My tuner, who looks after many fine grands, always remarks on what an amazing sound my piano has for a small upright, especially the bass, which she describes as 'buttery'. And I'm very pleased with my piano, I've had it for two years, it has very stable tuning and I love the way it sounds. So from my own experience I'd recommend Kemble, with a couple of caveats: their pianos are built in England, so import costs ramp up the price, and there aren't many people who've heard of Kemble over here so in terms of resale you could lose value because of the unfamiliar name.

Having said that, I'd add the usual advice: buy the piano that sounds best to you and feels best under your fingers (and fits your budget, of course).

EDIT: Forgot to say that Kemble is a part of Yamaha Europe and builds Yamahas for the European market. You can check them out on their web site: Kemble pianos

#1117731 - 11/26/08 10:42 AM Re: Yamaha C2 vs. Kemble KC173
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
You would get more info and input in the "piano area" of this web site.

Piano Area

#1117732 - 11/26/08 10:59 AM Re: Yamaha C2 vs. Kemble KC173
Wombat66 Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
I second the suggestion to post your query on the piano forum, where you're more likely to get a reply from someone who actually knows what they're talking about, rather than the likes of me.
I have never played a Kemble 173 so can't comment on whether it's a better piano than the C2 (which I have the honour of owning). It sounds plausible that they are similar, being produced by the same company, but then again I doubt if a 5'8" Bosendorfer is the same as my C2.
The suggestion that the K173 "was prepped for European voicing and hence that made it more valuable than the Yamaha C2" sounds strongly as if a four legged creature with horns on had just sullied the showroom floor.
Any posters who ask about price are usually told to buy a copy of Fine and DYOR.
Most importantly, having played both pianos what did you think of the differences in tone and touch?

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (BB Player, AliAlkhiro, 22 invisible), 1147 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76053 Members
42 Forums
157256 Topics
2309775 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
European Piano Party 2015 in Switzerland!
by SwissMS
09/03/14 03:40 AM
Should I pursue piano?
by arpan70
09/03/14 01:05 AM
An edifying challenge
by BDB
09/02/14 11:44 PM
Steinway or Porsche?
by Jennymomofboys
09/02/14 10:16 PM
Shostakovich Prelude 4 (E minor)
by johnlewisgrant
09/02/14 09:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission