Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1119103 - 02/07/06 06:39 PM Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Listen2Coldplay Offline

Loc: Riverview, MI
Okay, so as you can tell from my name, I love Coldplay. The piano included in their music doesn't quite blow you away, but I love it. I am also really considering learning how to play the piano.

If I were to receive lessons, about how much would I be looking to spend you think?

Also, should I start heavily considering buying a piano as well? It seems like lessons just once or twice a week wouldn't be enough practice. I change my mind a lot, but what I'm asking is: Should I bother getting lessons if I don't have a piano I can play with regularity? For instance, if I go to a music store for piano lessons once a week, and that's the only time I play the piano, would I progress rather slowly? I just thought I'd get some honest opinions from you friendly fellows on here.

I have been looking around on sites. www.guitarcenter.com being the main site. There is a Guitar Center store that opened up around my house.

Are there any other sites to check out pianos AND the prices? I've found some digital pianos

Casio Privia PX-400CS Digital Piano-$599.99 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/118039

Kurzweil Refurb SP-76 Stage Piano-$499.99 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/56824

Williams Concerto 88H Digital Console Piano-$699.99 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/113184

Casio CDP100 Digital Piano with Stand-$499.99 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/142275

Are any of these pianos ones I should avoid?

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1119104 - 02/07/06 07:16 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I pay $18/week for a half hour lesson. In my area, that's about average- there are some teachers as low as $15, some as high as $25. If you are really serious about learning to play, IMO, yes, you need a piano to practice on. Once or twice a week will not give you enough to really progress at any rate.

As for digitals, any of the Casio Privias are nice. I don't know a lot about the CDP100, tho it looks like a good deal, as it comes with stand and pedal. Many don't. I tend to like the feel of the Yamaha P series a lot- the P70 would fit the price range of the list you posted. As would the Kurzweil sp-88 or the sp-76, tho those don't give you fully weighted keys. The Kurzweil sp-**X line has fully weighted keys but are a bit pricier new. (Musician's Friend (a very good place to deal with, btw) has a refurb sp-88x that falls into the price range of the others.) And I have always like Kurzweil's piano sounds. I run my cheapy Casio thru a Kurzweil MicroPiano, just because I love the way it sounds much better that way. Guitar Center is also a very good place to deal with and, at least, around here, they tend to have a very good selection of keys, so that you can try a lot of different ones side by side. Another online place to check out is http://www.sweetwater.com/

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1119105 - 02/07/06 09:08 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
if you want to play piano, you have to have one to practice on regularly. so, maybe you could go to some music store to try out some of those models of digital pianos to see which one you like.

piano lessons, which most people take once a week, are only for instructions and practice time is not included. usually, teacher would give you some assignments to take home for practicing and you'd have responsibility of practicing and doing assignments yourself after lesson.

#1119106 - 02/07/06 09:22 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Listen2Coldplay,

Welcome to the forum! I heartily concur with the others: To make progress on the piano, you really need a piano of some sort at home to practice. Besides, you will WANT to practice...or, to put it this way, if you DON'T find yourself wanting to practice most days, you probably should drop the piano.

That doesn't mean you have to make a huge investment. A digital piano is not a bad choice for a beginner. If you go that route, follow IrishMak's advice and make sure you get one with fully weighted keys. Another option is to rent a piano for a few months, and if you're still just as excited and committed to learning, then you can buy. Some places allow you to rent-to-own, as well, so you're not just throwing the money away.

p.s. I love "Clocks", and that has some cool keyboard runs in it.

#1119107 - 02/07/06 09:29 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
You definitely need a piano. The Casio Privia's are probably the cheapest and aren't bad for the money. Hopefully, like Monica said, you will find that you will WANT to practice "alot"!! I can't get enough!!

Good Luck!

#1119108 - 02/07/06 10:04 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
I also agree with the earlier comments. For a beginner, weekly lessons are fine; but you need to practice between lessons to make real progress.

One other thing to keep in mind: since you are interested in pop rather than classical music, you should probably look around for a teacher who is comfortable taking you in that direction.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1119109 - 02/07/06 11:04 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Listen2Coldplay Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Hi Listen2Coldplay,

Welcome to the forum! I heartily concur with the others: To make progress on the piano, you really need a piano of some sort at home to practice. Besides, you will WANT to practice...or, to put it this way, if you DON'T find yourself wanting to practice most days, you probably should drop the piano.

That doesn't mean you have to make a huge investment. A digital piano is not a bad choice for a beginner. If you go that route, follow IrishMak's advice and make sure you get one with fully weighted keys. Another option is to rent a piano for a few months, and if you're still just as excited and committed to learning, then you can buy. Some places allow you to rent-to-own, as well, so you're not just throwing the money away.

p.s. I love "Clocks", and that has some cool keyboard runs in it. [/b]
Thanks for the input everyone.

I chatted a bit with a fellow Michigandeer on the Coldplay forums, and he recommended getting one used. He plays the drums, and he said it took 5 years to convince his parents to let him get a pro drum kit.

I'd probably be best to make some calls, but any direction on how to go about getting a used piano OR renting? Simply calling up stores for the former, but not sure about the latter.

Secondly, a keyboard is probably not the best option? Can anyone outline the main differences between a piano and a keyboard. It seems as if weighted keys are a big one, and keyboards probably come with little extras, but it also seems as if not all dig. pianos come with weighted keys.

Also, what do you mean by "Clocks" has some cool keyboard runs in it? Is the song played on a keyboard on the disc? Either way...it was GREAT in concert. They really picked up the tempo at the end. That's the song that really started to get me into them, but I heard "Yellow" and "Trouble" prior to "Clocks".

Quote:
Originally posted by packa:
I also agree with the earlier comments. For a beginner, weekly lessons are fine; but you need to practice between lessons to make real progress.

One other thing to keep in mind: since you are interested in pop rather than classical music, you should probably look around for a teacher who is comfortable taking you in that direction. [/b]
Yeah, that might be tough. The member from the CP forums mentioned this..a direct quote: "My sister took piano lessons for 7 years, and she's very good, but she was a little disappointed that she only got to learn classical. CAUTION: PIANO TEACHERS LOVE CLASSICAL MUSIC AND HATE YOURS. Just thought I'd warn you." There is a music store in a mall only about a 10 minute drive from my house. Iíll start looking in the phone book though for more music stores around here too though.

Wish me luck!!!

Also, I think it'd be fun to play classical as well, and some church hymns too.

#1119110 - 02/07/06 11:39 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
geek in the pink Offline

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by Listen2Coldplay:
Also, what do you mean by "Clocks" has some cool keyboard runs in it? Is the song played on a keyboard on the disc?[/b]
The song is played on a keyboard all the time--it was written on one. And, by keyboard I mean a piano, which has a board full of keys, hence keyboard. Sorry if I sound a little sarcastic, no harm meant.

As far a digitals go, I can vouch for the Casio Px-400 because I have one--it's a great value for the price.

#1119111 - 02/07/06 11:42 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
geek in the pink Offline

Loc: New Jersey
double post: edited by user

#1119112 - 02/08/06 11:05 AM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Monica K. Offline

Actually, I probably should have said arpeggios or riff rather than run, because that part of the song really isn't a run. And I said "keyboard" because I couldn't tell if it was a piano or a synthesizer. But it was definitely produced by something with keys... \:\)

I would probably recommend the digital over renting an acoustic. If you rent for more than a few months you could've bought the digital for the same amount, and besides, if you upgrade to acoustic later, you might appreciate having the digital for recording or late night practice sessions.

Another place to scout for teachers would be to go to the music department of your local college. You might be able to find a fairly hip and sympathetic grad student who'd like to pick up extra money teaching and would be more likely to accommodate your playing interest.

#1119113 - 02/08/06 11:23 AM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Secondly, a keyboard is probably not the best option? Can anyone outline the main differences between a piano and a keyboard. It seems as if weighted keys are a big one, and keyboards probably come with little extras, but it also seems as if not all dig. pianos come with weighted keys.
Well, not everybody agrees on definitions, but, in general, the term keyboard can encompass anything from a (relatively) cheap, consumer-oriented instrument with lots of bells and whistles (kinda like what I have, but that's what I wanted- toys! LOL) to a full-blown synthesizer, MIDI controller or workstation. A piano, on the other hand, is exactly what you think of when someone says "piano," and it can be either acoustic or digital, large or portable. Some digital pianos have some extras- different instrument voices, for example, but most are oriented toward playing piano without a lot of other stuff.

As for the value of a digital versus acoustic, it depends. Certainly you can get a nice digital piano for less than an acoustic piano. And there is some value in doing so- as was pointed out above, you will have it, if and when you do get an acoustic, for late nite/early morning practice without disturbing anyone else. And you can certainly use the different voices and other capabiities of a digital to "spice up" your practicing a little- adds to the fun, so to speak.

And, yes, not all digital pianos come with fully weighted keys. Some have semi-weighted keys, and some synth-like keyboards have keys that are practically unweighted. I would not recommend something like that, if your goal is to learn to play piano- it's a wholly different feel and technique. Semi-weighted keys are better than non-weighted, but I'd go for fully weighted, if the digital were to be the main instrument.

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1119114 - 02/08/06 03:56 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire
 Quote:
It's a wholly different feel and technique. Semi-weighted keys are better than non-weighted, but I'd go for fully weighted, if the digital were to be the main instrument.
This is good advice. I had a Casio keyboard for several years of piano lessons and it heavily impeded my progress. I now how a Casio Digital Piano and it made a big difference. I can transition to a real acoustic piano with no problem.

I recommend you steer clear of traditional "keyboards" entirely. If you want a cheap digital piano option, the Casio Privia line is excellent for the price. The keys are realistically weighted and the sound is good for the money. If you want something better, I can recommend my model the AP38. It twice the price ($1000) but it's worth it if you can invest the money.

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

#1119115 - 02/08/06 06:36 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Listen2Coldplay Offline

I don't know if I want to invest $500+ on a piano right now. Maybe down the road. Any advice on getting a piano used? Do stores sell them? For a used piano not from, any advice

Here is the letter I want to post up, and I'll probably go to the main office in the music department at my school as well to see if I can forgo putting up a sign and see if there are any teachers available.

" ATTENTION:[/b] Any WSU music grad students or those with high experience in playing the piano,

I am a fellow WSU student who is interested in learning how to play the piano. If you (or someone you know) think you might even be slightly interested in giving lessons (of course for a fee) please, do not hesitate to call.

Also, if you or anyone you know has a used piano they are looking to sell, please let me know as well.

Do not hesitate to call for either reason mentioned above.

My home phone number is 1-734-479-****

Sincerely,

David"

Seem OK? If not, input is always welcomed. I could put my e-mail address as well OR instead.

#1119116 - 02/08/06 10:16 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
I don't know if I want to invest $500+ on a piano right now. Maybe down the road. Any advice on getting a piano used? Do stores sell them? [/b]
It will be hard for you to get a serviceable used upright for $500 from a piano dealership (they have to make a profit, and they have to fix up the pianos they take in trade or buy from the public). On the other hand, you're likely to get a piano that sounds better and has been maintained from a dealer, and the dealer is more likely to give you a warranty.

You can try looking in the want ads for a used piano from a private party. I occasionally see some listed for $300-$500, but it's rare...and I suspect they're not very good. You might have to be very patient if you want to score a good used piano that cheaply. You could also probably buy a cheap used digital on e-Bay, but that has risks of its own.

Perhaps another alternative is to look around for neighbors, acquaintances, or elderly relatives who might have a piano sitting in their homes that they're not using. You could ask to "borrow" it for a few months, so you can tell whether you're going to stick with it before buying a piano of your own, and you could volunteer to pay delivery costs both ways and a tuning. But even that would set you back $200-$300.

I dunno...that $500 digital is looking better and better to me as an option. \:\)

#1119117 - 02/08/06 10:45 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Listen2Coldplay Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
 Quote:
I don't know if I want to invest $500+ on a piano right now. Maybe down the road. Any advice on getting a piano used? Do stores sell them? [/b]
It will be hard for you to get a serviceable used upright for $500 from a piano dealership (they have to make a profit, and they have to fix up the pianos they take in trade or buy from the public). On the other hand, you're likely to get a piano that sounds better and has been maintained from a dealer, and the dealer is more likely to give you a warranty.

You can try looking in the want ads for a used piano from a private party. I occasionally see some listed for $300-$500, but it's rare...and I suspect they're not very good. You might have to be very patient if you want to score a good used piano that cheaply. You could also probably buy a cheap used digital on e-Bay, but that has risks of its own.

Perhaps another alternative is to look around for neighbors, acquaintances, or elderly relatives who might have a piano sitting in their homes that they're not using. You could ask to "borrow" it for a few months, so you can tell whether you're going to stick with it before buying a piano of your own, and you could volunteer to pay delivery costs both ways and a tuning. But even that would set you back $200-$300.

I dunno...that $500 digital is looking better and better to me as an option. \:\) [/b]
Are you referring to the Casio CDP100? Or the Kurzeil refurbished? The CDP seems like a good buy. It seems very basic. I still like the idea of buying a used piano though.

Here are the specs for each:

Kurzweil Refurb SP-76 Stage Piano Features:

76 semi-weighted keys
Light weight
Award winning Kurzweil sounds
32 programs
32 voice polyphony
9 preset effects
8 different reverbs
Chorus
2 user-selectable MIDI channels
2 independent external MIDI zones plus 1 internal MIDI zone
32 user MIDI setups, with 2 independent zones
Remote setup on any MIDI channel
Pitch ribbon
Modulation ribbon
Front panel control slider
Continuous control pedal input
Dual footswitch input (for 2 pedals)
2 - 1/4" outputs
Headphone jack
12V DC power
47-1/4"W x 3-1/2"H x 11-1/2"D
27-1/2 lbs.

Price-$499

Casio CDP100 with stand and pedal

Keyboard - 88 Keys
Action - Hammer Action Keyboard
Touch Response - 3 Sensitivity Levels, Off
Maximum Polyphony - 32-Note
Tones - 5 Tone
Sound Source - HL Sound Source
Stereo Piano - Yes
Layer - Yes
Demo/Songs - 5
Transpose - Yes
Tuning - Yes
MIDI - In-Out
I/O - Phones, Sustain
Audio System - (6 x 12cm oval) x 2
Output - 8W+8W
Power - DC12V
Weight - Less Than 12.0 kg
Pedal - SP-3

Price-$499

#1119118 - 02/08/06 11:24 PM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Monica K. Offline

You've exhausted my (non)expertise on the topic. Sorry! I just don't know the various digital brands. You can try putting your post on the digital forum, though, and you'll get more advice than you'll know what to do with.

Go ahead and make the rounds of the piano dealers in your area, and then check the local newspaper. You may stumble onto a good used piano... but then again, you might not. ;\)

#1119119 - 02/09/06 12:04 AM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I would go with the Casio, especially if what you want is to learn to play piano. Unless you are really interested in exploring MIDI and/or synthesis. Monica is right- you are going to have a tough time finding a really decent used and properly rebuilt piano for under $500. The Casio will get you what you need to get started, and you can upgrade from there in the future. And you get the stand and pedal included, which is a bonus. Tho I would look into what exactly the pedal is- you really want a more piano-like pedal, and some of the ones that are included are more foot switch type. But a good piano type pedal can be added later, and at not a great additional cost.

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1119120 - 02/09/06 12:39 AM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire
I agree with the last two comments, You're better off witht he Casio. The first option you mentioned sounds more suited to someone who is mixing music/sequences for on-stage performance rather than playing music.

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

#1119121 - 02/09/06 11:18 AM Re: Totally new to the piano..so go easy on me..I have a few questions
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
The first option you mentioned sounds more suited to someone who is mixing music/sequences for on-stage performance
\

Exactly. The Kurzweil, while it can be just played and would probably be a very good instrument, has additional "stuff" onboard that you really don't need if what you want is to learn to play. It was designed so that it can be used as a piano and/or a controller.

The Casio, OTOH, does give you the stand and pedal, both of which you would need to add to the Kurzweil. You will probably want to replace the pedal, tho. It is a foot switch type, and you will want a more piano style pedal. You can get those for $20-25, tho.

Kawai MP-4 digital

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (36251, AmateurBob, accordeur, Alux, ADWyatt, 31 invisible), 1312 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153567 Topics
2250642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
04/18/14 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
04/18/14 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
04/18/14 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission