Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
118 registered (ando, anamnesis, accordeur, anotherscott, Anita Potter, 35 invisible), 1590 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1119230 - 08/01/06 11:42 AM August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I'm sure everybody is busy preparing for the upcoming recital, but I thought I take the initiative to start the thread for the August Piano Bar. \:\)

This piece is called "The Vigil". It's not perfect since I just picked up learning this piece 2 days ago. It's still in the refining process.

http://www.box.net/public/guskamov1d

flickr

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1119231 - 08/01/06 12:08 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Two days?! From sheet music?! sputter WOW! You're good!

#1119232 - 08/01/06 12:10 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
....2 days ago? No wonder the chicks won the Practice Log!

What an absolutely marvelous recording! Your use of dynamics was spot on, as was the tune as a whole. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to all of it, it was hauntingly beautiful.

One thing which I noticed in particular was the way you never let the bass notes drown out the melody. If I had been playing the piece, I would have thumped those notes and probably ruined the piece, but you kept everything at the perfect level.

What a great start to the month!

#1119233 - 08/01/06 12:44 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Great piece, fully enjoyed it kawaigirl1 ya set the bar high to start..nice job, really nice.
PTG Associate

#1119234 - 08/01/06 12:52 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
[falls back in dead faint] I'm here sputtering with Bob, kawaigirl! You did a fantastic[/b] job on this piece... and you've only had it for TWO DAYS????

The thing is, I have that sheet music, too, so I know just how hard it really is. Two days. WOW.

#1119235 - 08/01/06 12:54 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Txs to all for listening & the feedback

\:\)

flickr

#1119236 - 08/01/06 01:02 PM Re: August Piano Bar
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
Rocky <----bows down before kawaigirl

Most excellent job!!! As everyone else has already said!!

The piano sounds awesome also!

#1119237 - 08/01/06 01:08 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Frank_W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United States
WOW!!!!! Incredible piece, Kawaigirl!! Utterly phenomenal... *standing ovation*

#1119238 - 08/01/06 01:13 PM Re: August Piano Bar
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Two days!! WOW!! *major applause* That was lovely.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1119239 - 08/01/06 02:18 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yea...the piano does sound awsome!!!![/b]
PTG Associate

#1119240 - 08/01/06 02:34 PM Re: August Piano Bar
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

2 days and you can play this!!!!! oh my you must be piano master!!! this is excellent!!!! sitting in awe!!!WOW!!!

#1119241 - 08/01/06 02:56 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

U guys are all great!..Txs again.. \:\)

This is what happens when I'm on vacation with nothing else to do and hubby is at work!! (wohooo) house all to myself and play my heart out...lol \:D

flickr

#1119242 - 08/01/06 07:27 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Kawaigirl:

Yes, I am just as amazed as everyone else is with your playing; it was incredible.

You see, you currently have the "whole package" going for you. Not only did you choose a beautiful song, you played it VERY well, your piano sounds fantastic and your recording was almost, if not proffessional sounding- possibly perfect!

We may possibly have one thing in common (through VERY different means), and that is the ability to learn a new song very quickly. For me, after a day or two, I really won't get any better at playing the song since I'm making most of it up to begin with! (trust me, this IS the "easy way")

I believe that you are actually reading most, if not every note played which puts you in your own category of talent!

I have never not been "blown away" by your music and I really mean that.

Everyone has posted up some really super stuff, and you need to put out something very extra special for me to remember it over time.

The very first song to "blow me away" was Monica's "christofori's Dream". Her performance was incredible.

Next came Balladeer's "Phantom of the Opera" several songs from Seeside Lee, Roger Ransom, Mike White and Stephenc's Jim Brickman songs.

This song performed by you will also "stick" with me as one of the AB forum very best.

I really, REALLY enjoyed it

#1119243 - 08/01/06 09:19 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Txs S-H for listening, what you said was very touching and I'm glad to have made it on the S-H honour roll... \:\)

flickr

#1119244 - 08/01/06 11:48 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma
, and you were asking for help! Now I do not know what to play for the recital, that is what I was going to play!

Just joking. Great job, I wish I could do that in two days. I'll still play it for the recital though.

#1119245 - 08/02/06 05:21 AM Re: August Piano Bar
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Another vote for awesome here. ;\)

#1119246 - 08/02/06 07:38 AM Re: August Piano Bar
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
That was really great Kawaigirl, thanks!!..

I say spend more time on vacation and send your husband off to work more often if it means you can play more and post more wonderful songs for us to listen to!!

#1119247 - 08/02/06 09:34 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psychopianoman:
, and you were asking for help! Now I do not know what to play for the recital, that is what I was going to play!

Just joking. Great job, I wish I could do that in two days. I'll still play it for the recital though. [/b]
Hey Psychopianoman, I have to give you credit for helping me with the fingering in that one section that I was having problems with. \:\)
I can't wait to hear your version of this piece.

Txs mahlzeit & Stephenc for listening.

flickr

#1119248 - 08/02/06 10:45 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Hobie Offline

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Kawaigirl
I am with everyone who is clapping and shouting, "Bravo!"

Out of curiousity...how's your theory? Do you know what chords you are playing? The reason I ask is that a song like this one would be fun to re-arrange and do some variations on. As a teacher, if one of my students played like you did I would help them analyze the piece and try changing something stylistically about it. This can be very educational and often can lead to composing your own songs and developing your own unique style.

Just a suggestion...some people are perfectly happy playing written arrangements note-for-note. If this is you disregard the above advice!!

Thanks for sharing. Good job.
Hobie

#1119249 - 08/02/06 11:03 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobie:
Kawaigirl
I am with everyone who is clapping and shouting, "Bravo!"

Out of curiousity...how's your theory? Do you know what chords you are playing? The reason I ask is that a song like this one would be fun to re-arrange and do some variations on. As a teacher, if one of my students played like you did I would help them analyze the piece and try changing something stylistically about it. This can be very educational and often can lead to composing your own songs and developing your own unique style.

Just a suggestion...some people are perfectly happy playing written arrangements note-for-note. If this is you disregard the above advice!!

Thanks for sharing. Good job.
Hobie [/b]
Hi Hobie,

Txs for listening. Theory wise I did take harmony and counterpoint in my teenage years. I've always love & admire people who can improvise but I never really got into it and not even sure where to start. But you're absolutely right about this piece where it'll be fun to do variations on.

P.S. Good to know you're a teacher I know who to come to for help.. \:\)

flickr

#1119250 - 08/02/06 12:00 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Hobie Offline

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Kawaigirl

Glad to be of help. Yes, feel free to ask me questions. I'll do my best to assist you.

But I wanted to say that I have no feedback to give you regarding your performance...it was...perfect!

As musicians we are constantly growing and changing how we play. One direction you may choose to take involves getting creative with musical concepts. Some people really enjoy doing this while others are quite content to play the works of great composers. Since I do not know you, I have no idea what your desires are as a musician.

I am really good at helping people figure out what their next challenge will be. I would be interested in knowing what your long-term projects/goals are.

You play beautifully.

Hobie

#1119251 - 08/02/06 05:30 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Please enjoy Scott Joplin's Palm Leaf Rag.

http://www.box.net/public/2zkq3m4837

Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1119252 - 08/02/06 05:54 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Love the rag. I have never had an interest in playing them but I do love to listen to them. They have such a happy feeling to them and they are so bouncy. Great stuff.

#1119253 - 08/02/06 07:12 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

They're not that hard to play, but difficult to make a recording without mistakes, as you are well aware from listening.

I spent more than two days on this one for sure.
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1119254 - 08/02/06 09:15 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Psychopianoman is back!!! I watched a thread the other day with a man by the name of Einaudi. He is the best!

I guess I really do not want to be like any one artist but I am at a point where I am trying to find myself as a musician. His music gave me a few ideas.

I only have one song done for now. It is labled as #6. Let me know what you think. This is a common chord progression and is used in tons and tons of songs so I chose to use it. This is also the longest one I have improvised so far and I put a bit more time into it as well.

http://www.box.net/public/cprhs8dj8h

Hope you all enjoy.

#1119255 - 08/02/06 09:35 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Psycho, I love that tune!! What's your secret?? I thought it was fantastic!!

OKAY...i'm lining up to buy your sheet music... \:D

flickr

#1119256 - 08/02/06 09:37 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mike, I'm not familiar with rag time pieces other than the entertainer; however, you put a nice touch to the piece \:\)

flickr

#1119257 - 08/02/06 09:55 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kawaigirl1:
Hey Psycho, I love that tune!! What's your secret?? I thought it was fantastic!!

OKAY...i'm lining up to buy your sheet music... \:D [/b]
The secret came through 5 different piano courses and two teachers at the same time. I have one gospel teacher and one newage teacher.

One teacher has even started to give me DVD's. I have to pay for them but they are worth every penny! She told me to get a cam-corder and she would let me tape my lessons so I can see what she does to a song and she wants to start recording styles and patterns for me to use in music. Taped lessons are paid so I get these for free, yeah!!!

The other secret is to listen to tons of newage music as well as try to see what they are doing. This is easy to get started as it is only a pattern in the left hand. It has taken awhile to learn the ins and outs of how the melody works and how to get a good sound but it gets easier as you go.

I am glad you enjoyed. I also hope to one day get as good as my favorite new agers and make music and sell it but I have recently gotten scared when I heard the reply on the ask nevue thread. I just got to keep trying and maybe someday it will come.

#1119258 - 08/02/06 11:08 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Monica K. Offline

Mike, great[/b] job on Pineapple Rag! I had never heard that one before, but I like it a lot. And I don't believe you when you say that it's "not hard to play." I heard a tremendous number of grace notes, rolled chords and other embellishments.

[wonders what Mike could possibly be submitting for the recital if this was consigned to the piano bar...]

#1119259 - 08/02/06 11:14 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Monica K. Offline

psychopianoman, I'm second in line for buying your sheet music. Your piece was lovely. Keep composing. I believe you have real talent.

#1119260 - 08/02/06 11:14 PM Re: August Piano Bar
ARIAS Offline

Loc: Tampa Bay
  • Kawaiigirl:[/b] Weren't you the one that posted a few days ago that you needed help with a couple of the bars in the song Vigil? :p It didn't sound to me like you needed any help at all! You did SENSATIONAL! I am proud of you and you did that in 2 days! What can you do in 5 days??!

• yamaha[/b] great job on that rag! Is that Scott Joplin? Those rags are awfully hard to play too! ;\)

• Psychpianoman[/b] I am impressed! How long did it take you to compose that? You may find me also in line one day waiting to buy your music! So relaxing too! I almost fell asleep with my head on my laptop just listening to you beautiful touch. Just what I need before I close for the night!

#1119261 - 08/02/06 11:28 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

quote:
Originally posted by ARIAS:

[*]Kawaiigirl:[/b] Weren't you the one that posted a few days ago that you needed help with a couple of the bars in the song Vigil? :p It didn't sound to me like you needed any help at all! You did SENSATIONAL! I am proud of you and you did that in 2 days!

I hope I can get my other one done soon as well. I have fun playing it but it is only about 1 min. long right now. It needs more.

Thanks for all the great words everyone.

#1119262 - 08/03/06 05:41 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oops..., please forgive me. I had to edit my previous post. The name of the piece that I submitted is Palm Leaf, not Pine Apple Rag. I was concentrating so hard on playing it without mistakes that I assigned the wrong name to it. I also play Pine Apple Rag and many others, but they are not up to speed, so-to-speak. I have been devoting most of my time to classical music lately.

Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1119263 - 08/03/06 06:43 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ARIAS:

[*]Kawaiigirl:[/b] Weren't you the one that posted a few days ago that you needed help with a couple of the bars in the song Vigil? :p It didn't sound to me like you needed any help at all! You did SENSATIONAL! I am proud of you and you did that in 2 days! What can you do in 5 days??!

Txs Arias. It was one of those sections that just drove me crazy until Psycho suggested the fingering and then everything just clicked \:\)

flickr

#1119264 - 08/03/06 07:53 AM Re: August Piano Bar
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mike, nice, I enjoyed that!

Psycho....very beautiful, I'll join the others and say I'll be buying your sheet music one day!

#1119265 - 08/03/06 12:16 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Kawaigirl: that piece was stunning \:D ..I am totally blown away...you play beautifully and in only 2 days!!

How do you follow that?

regards

Lee \:\)

#1119266 - 08/03/06 12:26 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:
Kawaigirl: that piece was stunning \:D ..I am totally blown away...you play beautifully and in only 2 days!!

How do you follow that?

regards

Lee \:\) [/b]
Txs Lee. In those 2 days I played nothing but this piece.. \:\( My hubby was ready to put his ear plugs on...lmao

flickr

#1119267 - 08/03/06 12:35 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mike:

Quote:
They're not that hard to play, but difficult to make a recording without mistakes, as you are well aware from listening.
I can imagine that is waay difficult to record without a few bloopers ;\) , I think I only noticed one spot but on the whole it was some incredible playing.

To be honest not my favourite style of piano music...but, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to you play as always

Lee: I'm dreaming of a Mike White Christmas \:D

#1119268 - 08/03/06 12:39 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

This will be my first Christmas that I can actually read the music, instead of just chords!
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1119269 - 08/03/06 12:57 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
My hubby was ready to put his ear plugs on...lmao
at least he listened \:\) , my "better half" refuses to listen to me playing full stop, I have to play with headphones on at all times (she even complains I thump to loud....good grief!)

Lee \:\)

#1119270 - 08/03/06 12:59 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
This will be my first Christmas that I can actually read the music, instead of just chords!
Yes, you are building quite an arsenal of talent there...Mike \:\)

very cool indeedy

#1119271 - 08/03/06 01:03 PM Re: August Piano Bar
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Lee - my lovely bride wanders by my office every once in a while. I am trying to get ready for the recital, so she offers her support to me this morning by saying "perhaps you should learn another song, it might be easier than the same one over and over. How come you only play that one song?"....I'm thinking headsets might be a good thing....

#1119272 - 08/03/06 01:08 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

psycho

You need to be thinking about recording your first album!! ;\)

David Nevue...look out!!!

In a word "awesome"!

Lee \:D

#1119273 - 08/03/06 01:14 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I'm thinking headsets might be a good thing....
and...I'm thinking..."I wonder how much I could sell my beloved on "Ebay" for"? ;\)

#1119274 - 08/12/06 01:44 AM Re: August Piano Bar
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

After hearing Shirokuro play this piece, I had to learn it for myself. It really is a pretty piece to play - River Flows In You by Yiruma.

BTW The last few measures are not quite as written, not quite improv though, just a main theme an octave higher!

http://www.box.net/public/mnflj76bko

#1119275 - 08/12/06 08:05 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Stephenc - that was a beautiful recording! I very much enjoyed listening to it. The tone of the piano was really nice (what piano do you play?). I thought the ending worked well!

#1119276 - 08/12/06 08:18 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Since the Bar is open to recordings of pieces which aren't finished yet, I tried a couple of them which I'm currently working on. Plenty of mistakes!

http://www.box.net/public/4c09t0pxn8 - Mother's Journey by Yann Tiersen (a bit slower)

http://www.box.net/public/uf34257a41 - Le Onde, by Ludovico Einaudi (incomplete).

(please don't kill me for posting it, Monica!) It feels wrong to listen to my attempts compared with the fantastic original recording, but hey, this the Piano Bar and it's an open session! Anything goes. \:\)

#1119277 - 08/12/06 08:23 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Monica K. Offline

I'm not going to kill you, Euan. Rather, I lift a glass to toast you. You have accomplished something that I have tried but not succeeded in doing, which is to make that top melody line sing out clearly.

It's such a lovely piece, and I have gotten so far on it, that I'm not going to give up, and your recording gives me inspiration that I can get there at some point. \:\)

#1119278 - 08/12/06 08:48 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Monica, and congatulations on the 4000th post! So I raise my glass back to you in return \:\)

#1119279 - 08/12/06 09:12 AM Re: August Piano Bar
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Euan

thanks, recorded it on the roland 107 digital.

Really enjoyed your pieces also... is there a lot of repetition in Le Onde, or is it that annoying repetition where its basically the same but for a few minor note differences?

#1119280 - 08/12/06 09:32 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Stephenc[/b] , that was BRAVO!! I had really enjoyed listening to it

Euan[/b] , my wish finally came true and that was to here you play "Le Onde". You did a fantastic job bringing out the melody of this piece. \:\)

Monica[/b] , CONGRATS to your 4000th post!!!

flickr

#1119281 - 08/12/06 10:29 AM Re: August Piano Bar
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Stevenc - almost forgot ya.... very nice job - with all the great music here in the bar, I am getting very worried about my recital submission...if this is "not worthy", boy.......you guys amaze me - I know how hard this "banging the keys" is, and you and Euan make it sound so easy.....

Would you guys be willing to quit playing for a few years to let me catch up??? OK OK, a few decades, then????

#1119282 - 08/12/06 03:04 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Monica K. Offline

Okay, maybe I can't play "Le Onde," but here is Una Mattina. It's also by Einaudi, and it is a very simple, spare piece. It's one of the most minimalist of his works that I've heard so far. It also looks a lot easier to play than it is. Most of the time the left hand is just hitting single notes on the downbeat. But getting it to sound good is a different story.

This is not a recital-worthy recording, for two reasons: (a) I messed up big time around 2:45, and (b) if you listen closely, toward the end you will hear my son opening and closing his door and--I believe--a toilet flush.

Monica\'s recording of "Una Mattina" by Ludovico Einaudi

p.s. You may be wondering what I was doing recording today. I had a last-second case of the nerves and was trying to come up with a better recording of my recital piece. It wasn't to be, but at least I got this and a couple of others down.

#1119283 - 08/12/06 03:25 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Monica, again I loved how you brought out the melody and played it delicately. \:\)

flickr

#1119284 - 08/12/06 03:43 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Monica, that was lovely to listen to! I have been playing around with that piece and the end section does look tricky - it sounded great on your piano. Were you playing from memory, or did you have the sheet music?

I don't think you have to worry about the background noise - apart from a single creak after you had hit the last note, I didn't hear anything else. I was expecting a *whoosh* sound as the toilet flushed, but it never came. You must have great hearing to pick up those sounds!

#1119285 - 08/12/06 03:47 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Monica K. Offline

Well, I heard it going on while I was recording and was thinking to myself, "drat, there goes my decent take!" I guess my condenser mic does a good job of picking up mainly the piano noise, whew!

I was playing off the sheet music, Euan; I photocopy it and spread it across the music desk so I don't have to turn pages. \:\)

This piece has too many subtle variations that it's going to take me a very long time to memorize it.

#1119286 - 08/12/06 05:28 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am loving the einaudi music! You peaps are doing great.

I am somewhat upset at my digital. It really lacks in the resonance area. I can not get the tones to resonate the way they should or sustain as long as they should on my digital. I have been happy with it up to now but the expression of it just does not cut it for music like this.

I need to look into getting an acoustic but have no idea of what would be more exressive than a digital Yamaha Clavinova or if I could even afford a real piano.

I just got my book and cd and the song I want to play last a whopping 12 min. I do not sight read very well and I do not think I can remember that many pages. I might just give it a try though.

I want to thank everyone for turning me on to this dudes music, he rocks! I have been listening to the CD for 2 hours straight. I have not been so moved since my first encounter with George Winston music.

#1119287 - 08/13/06 03:30 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

This piece is called "I DO" by Rob Costlow. There are a mistakes so please excuse those.

http://www.box.net/public/guutccplnd

flickr

#1119288 - 08/13/06 05:32 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Kawaigirl - that was stunning! I know you haven't been working on this one long, so I have to ask - how many MINUTES did it take to get the piece sounding like that?!

Didn't hear a single mistake anywhere, it flowed brilliantly and sounded great!

Definately have to add that one to the 'sheet music stacked beside the piano' collection!

Well done \:\)
Euan.

#1119289 - 08/13/06 05:44 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Monica K. Offline

That was beautiful, kawaigirl. I agree with Euan; I didn't hear any mistakes. And whatever secret mic setup recipe you have used to make your recordings, keep it up... the sound quality was awesome.

The intro part was reminiscent of "Overcome."

Too much great music to learn... too little time.

psychopianoman, only you know what your budget and spending comfort zone is. But there is some ineffable quality to acoustics you just don't get with a digital, although digitals have their own advantages over acoustics. Having both would be ideal, I think, and I would hazard a guess that anybody who is "affiliated with music through my hands, ears, mind, and dreams" probably has an acoustic somewhere in his future... \:\)

#1119290 - 08/13/06 05:53 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh great, another artist I might end up having to get into. I have been discovering so much great music lately but do not have the time to learn it all or listen to it all.

Sounded perfect to me!

#1119291 - 08/13/06 10:50 PM Re: August Piano Bar
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

wow! what a recital Kawaigirl!

This is a really great piece.

You're on a bit of a recording roll at the moment hey!

#1119292 - 08/13/06 10:55 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

She has been vacating on the piano bench for hours at a time. She goes back to work tomorrow.

I think I need to take some vacation to spend some time at the keys! I am envious.

#1119293 - 08/13/06 11:11 PM Re: August Piano Bar
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Kawai Girl. Two days!!! Wow. Sounds gorgeous. You are gooooood. Standing ovation. Gaby Tu

#1119294 - 08/13/06 11:23 PM Re: August Piano Bar
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Kawaigirl--Two days on the other piece--played fantastically well, and now "I Do" also played superbly.
What mistakes??. If there were any you blended them in beautifully. Me, when I make a mistake, I come to a dead halt, fumble around a bit and then get on with the rest of the piece.
So far I am unable to participate---don't have any recording setup yet. Hope to get one, but for the present, just get to listen to all the wonderful music recorded by all of you. Gaby Tu

#1119295 - 08/14/06 09:41 AM Re: August Piano Bar
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Absolutely fantastic piano playing, kawaigirl1.

Thanks so much for posting it.

And the recorded sound of your piano is wonderful.

My only suggestion would be to set your mp3 encoder to a higher bit rate than 128kbps, such as 224 or 320 to capture all of the great depth of sound of your piano. To cut down the file size, you could use variable bit rate, set to a current bit rate of 192 or 224 with a max of 320, perhaps.

Again, terrific job!

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1119296 - 08/14/06 10:34 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Guys

I have finally sent my recital piece in (it has taken about 1 billion takes and I still am not happy with the rhythm but hey?)

So, I am free to catch up on this thread...this is turning into the best piano bar ever!!
(I daren't post any thing this month you are all just unbelievable!!)

StephenC...that is just beautiful (words aren't enough)

Euan...La Onde, okay so its not finished but, it may aswell be the man himself playing. I honestly have no idea what to tell you to make it sound any more like the original...simply gorgeous

Monica...I find most of Ludovicos music rather haunting and your version of "Una Mattina" was as haunting as it was beautiful to my ears, well played

Kawaigirl...If you and I are ever shipwrecked together on a desert island just as long as there was a grand piano washed up along with us...I would be in heaven, your playing touches my soul, so beautiful...WOW!

regards

#1119297 - 08/14/06 12:53 PM Re: August Piano Bar
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow!! :::standing ovation::: each of the recordings in this thread are simply excellent. I think you all can remove the beginner part and just call yourselves adult pianists.

All of your playing was very inspiring and I appreciate you sharing your music with us. I can only hope some day I can advance beyond the beginner stage, but it's not looking very likely at this point \:\(

Y'all are great!!

#1119298 - 08/14/06 06:57 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks guys for listening. All the kind words are so encouraging. \:\)

Stephenc[/b] : I'm trying to overcome the "Red Dot" phobia

Dannylux[/b] : Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that.

Seaside Lee[/b] : Okay, I serenade you on this deserted island but only if you got lots of wine with ya. \:D

flickr

#1119299 - 08/21/06 04:26 AM Re: August Piano Bar
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Recorded this one using a Steinway D piano sample, it really suits this piece perfectly. This was one of those recordings where i just had the record button on and realised at the end I'd played the piece in its entirety almost spot on (wish that happened more often)!

Comptine D'un Autre Ete by Yann Tiersen

http://www.box.net/public/s3b1e6j45k

Thanks to Euan for bringing this wonderful piece of music to our attention!!

#1119300 - 08/21/06 12:09 PM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Very nice, that piano sound fits it perfect.

#1119301 - 08/25/06 09:53 PM Re: August Piano Bar
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"Life" happened as it sometime does and I wasn't able to get anything submitted for the recent recital. I had recorded this a month or so ago but wasn't happy with it. Then I decided what the heck. I'm an adult beginner....I'm not very good and may never be, but I'm ok with that. I really hesitated posting in this thread because all of the other recordings have been outstanding and far from what I would call "beginner". However, I decided it was ok that mine isn't as good. The piece of music is David Nevue's "Deep Heaven". David would probably run from the room screaming if he ever hears this. It really doesn't sound very much like his piece at all...I really messed his music up!! But for me, in the end, after only playing for 1 and 1/2 years I am satisfied.

So, for what it's worth, here it is:

"Deep Heaven" - David Nevue - my *beginner* attempt

#1119302 - 08/25/06 10:01 PM Re: August Piano Bar
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rocky, i am listening to this as i type, i must say this is beautiful and moving!!! i wish you had submitted this to the recital, i really really really like it!!!!

#1119303 - 08/25/06 10:32 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Frank_W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United States
OMG... Rocky, this is exquisite... Really really nice, man. Phenomenal!

#1119304 - 08/25/06 10:51 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm just catching up in the forum.

StephenC[/b] That was fantastic! I had been tempted to learn this piece for awhile now and it's definitely going to be one of my to be learned pieces. \:\)

Rocky[/b] You recorded this a month ago? You should have submitted this piece to the recital. You played it very smoothly and beautifully. That was GREAT and enjoyed very much listening to it!

BRAVO to the two of you.!

flickr

#1119305 - 08/26/06 01:18 AM Re: August Piano Bar
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky, sounds great to me! You need to be more positive about your playing. You are doing very good!

#1119306 - 08/26/06 06:28 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Rocky \:\)

I have to agree with everyone else...that is simply beautiful .

I have listened a few times and I can't hear any of the problems you mention in your post. I think we all can (at times) be hyper-critcal of our own playing (I know I am for sure) and because of this I am sure we don't always hear the good things we are doing and the improvements we are making in our playing.

This is so smooth and sounds so easy for you to play I don't think you have really noticed how well you are actually playing and how your playing is improving in such a short space of time...to my ears your playing is coming on in leaps and bounds!!

well played rocky

More!!

#1119307 - 08/26/06 09:19 AM Re: August Piano Bar
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
kawaigirl1 :

I can only add the WOW factor to your already highly-praised performance.

It would take me two days just to get the fingering done on any new piece! \:\(

So proud of you, CHICK. \:D

Brava,
Kathleen

#1119308 - 08/26/06 12:22 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Rocky ...

What a terrific nice flow you are developing! \:D From this will come all sorts of additional things you may be looking for. This is very good work!

Balladeer

#1119309 - 08/26/06 02:50 PM Re: August Piano Bar
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Rocky, I loved this piece! You did a great job!

#1119310 - 08/26/06 06:58 PM Re: August Piano Bar
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks y'all ! Even if you are being way too kind. Your support helps, cuz at times lately I've been wondering why I keep trying, to me it seems like I've made no progress in a long time. It's a shame this dang piano is so tough to learn!!

Thanks again!

#1119311 - 08/26/06 09:40 PM Re: August Piano Bar
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Rocky - please - take a walk with me. Let's talk. Our heads are together and I'm talking close of your face.... Turn to me, Rocky. Rocky - standing squarely facing each other - I want you to repeat to yourself, I am a piano player, I am a piano player. This song is beautiful. I don't know what happened, why you didn't submit this piece for our recital - but I'm glad to hear it now.. - it's like an ocean.... water moving... waves moving... it's so beautiful... and clean... a wave of music...enchanting even.

Rocky - you're a piano player! It's romantic and I love it - it's a beautiful song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1119312 - 08/27/06 09:45 AM Re: August Piano Bar
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Rocky, that's a beautiful, sensitive performance.

Thanks very much for posting it for us.

I believe very strongly that for me to post a piece that I'm not completely happy with is a wonderful way to heal from perfectionism and shame.

It's me affirming that this is as good as I can play it today, and it's fine. Next month it will be even better.

It really does one's spirit good.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1119313 - 08/27/06 11:19 AM Re: August Piano Bar
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks again y'all!!

And Sharon...umm.... :2hearts: \:D

#1119314 - 08/27/06 05:52 PM Re: August Piano Bar
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Oh Rocky! *giggle* Check out the new little addition to our family on show us your picture thread. Little tiny Hue!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1119315 - 08/28/06 11:32 AM Re: August Piano Bar
Monica K. Offline

rocky, I just caught up with this thread... I'm with everybody else; I thought your piece was simply lovely and should've been part of the recital!

And you have now persuaded me that my next David Nevue piece to learn should be "Deep Heaven." \:\)

#1119316 - 08/28/06 02:12 PM Re: August Piano Bar
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Nice job Rocky

I really need to put Over The Rainbow down on track (hey, does that make me sound to techie?), I've been procrastinating tooooooo looooong...need to get some quite time on the home front, wife has YOGA a couple of times this week...just maybe
PTG Associate

#1119317 - 08/30/06 10:57 AM Re: August Piano Bar
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Just catching up here, myself- spent far too much time this month away... All I can say is: WOW! to all of you!! I enjoyed all of your pieces. *applause* (Where was that tip jar, again??? \:\) )

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Clarifying arm weight technique
by pianolearnerstride
12/21/14 12:20 PM
Piano Magic Fakebook
by dlovull1
12/21/14 11:31 AM
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
12/21/14 09:29 AM
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Forum Stats
77382 Members
42 Forums
160035 Topics
2350158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission