2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,170 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1119527 06/19/05 08:27 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Short Long story.
Playing just over four years. Stopped playing in March, 2005. Finally found a piano that works for my hearing sensitivy. Had it for two weeks now, sounds lovely, feels lovely nothing wrong with the piano, but I can't seem to bring myself to practice. Can't concentrate, totally bored. I used to practice 2 - 4 hours a day, got really good, but have totally lost any desire to play. It's not the weather, it's not that I'm too busy, I just can't seem to get back with it. My teacher comes over for private lessons and I'm still not excited. Couldn't it be possible that it's just not for me anymore? I can't even fathom putting in any more time. I've given it a break and actually got better. Music comes pretty easy to me, but I'm truly resisting playing old stuff or learning new stuff.

It's been a hard road, used to be rewarding, but don't really want to work hard anymore.

There's a part of me that thinks my practice and hard work was somewhat of an OCD thing and since I've been away for some time, I've lost that focus and it's wierd, but it kind of feels good not to have that obligation anymore.

Thank God my piano is a rent to buy. I used to think I would "DIE" if I couldnt play and when I had to sell my piano in March I actually went into a serious depression, but now I can't imagine putting that much stress on myself to practice. I've tried the lax approach and practive an hour or so, have fun thing, but it's not very rewarding.

Any opinions? Kind ones please.

#1119528 06/19/05 08:45 AM
It could be that you are just not ready to commit to all of the emotion of practicing and learning again. When you sold the other piano, there is a grieving period associated with a major change in your life.

#1119529 06/19/05 09:58 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Stop practicing and start playing.

#1119530 06/19/05 10:28 AM
Your story sounds similar to when i was younger and hated practicing and then my mom stopped the lessons, much to my satisfaction. I have since taken it up again, but between those times i still played whenever i felt like it. Perhaps you simply don't want to play the type of music you are learning. Ask youself what do you want to play. Maybe a break might be a good idea too. Stop the lessons and simply play when you feel like it and what you feel like.

"There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between." -- Thomas Beecham

My blog: pianotrek.blogspot.com
#1119531 06/19/05 01:50 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
sometimes, if you try too hard to do something, you'd get exhausted at some point and loose interest, unless you really like what you are doing. maybe, just taking a short break and contemplating for a while about music and yourself would do you some good, but come back to play again later.

#1119532 06/19/05 03:12 PM
S
S
It sounds like you dont love it as much as you thought you did

I try to live, love and laugh as much as I can every day, because every day may be my last
#1119533 06/19/05 04:39 PM
How old are you?

What sort of drivel are you playing?

Do you have any passions about music, or are you just passively accepting the "next page" in that lock-step lesson book?

Do you CARE about music?

Because the big RUSH with piano is to bring something marvelous to life under your hands.

I am into Myra Hess's "Jesu" and am intoxicated with it and can't let it go.

I play it for a week or so. Put it back in the piano bench. Drag it out again a month later. Play it to death. and so on . . . . and on and on.

People need a passion for it. Maybe you need to spend less time playing, and more time researching to find some music that you really can get UP about.

BTW, if you are closing out that new piano at fire sale prices, be sure to give me a chance to bid.

Good luck to you, fellow -- -

the Glyptodont
#1119534 06/19/05 04:39 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dear Perfection:

Perhaps it would be a good idea put your piano studies aside for now.

There are many wonderful activites in the world that vie for our attention - and life is just too short to persist with an activity that has genuinely ceased to satisfy.

The music will always be there should you ever desire to return to it.

Best wishes to you . . . Linda

#1119535 06/19/05 10:10 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think I agree with Linda. Unless you're a music major (and even then..) there is no reason to force yourself to play. If you want to play, play. If you don't want to play, go for a walk or whatever.

A piano is a huge contraption of wood and metal and felt etc, weighs a ton and costs a fortune. Even if you're just renting one, it's pretty hard to justify given up practicing after such a commitment. But if practicing/playing does not give you joy, then it shouldn't be so wrong to stop.

I practiced a martial art for 10 years, but stopped because it was taking time away from the piano. (and also I became worried about injuring my hands) friends and family would sometimes ask me why I stopped (I really loved it when I first started etc etc) and shouldn't I keep it up since I'd gotten a black belt and all that. But whenever I would go to practice, I was always keenly aware that where I really wanted to be was in front of the keyboard. So I chose piano over that, and I don't regret it. There is only so much time in the day, and after work and other obligations, your free time should be spent doing something you love.

now, if you still feel like "oh, I wish I could just sometimes sit down at the piano and belt out a tune" then you have to think about what it is that's making you not want to play right now, and what your pianistic goals are.

Especially for ABs, there are many ways to "do piano." You can take lessons, practice for a short amount of time, do classical or popular etctec. If you decide to continue with music, you need to find a way that is enjoyable and sustainable. Perhaps you just need to change your approach.

Whatever you decide, don't let "obligation" sway you. Do what your heart requires. Good luck.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1119536 06/20/05 04:48 AM
P
OP Offline
P
ShiroKuro, It's not a matter of time. I have a ton of it. I have a very leisure life. I appreciate all your opinions. I'm 42 and have been playing for four years. I arrange all my tunes and am really not stuck to any type of music. I really don't know what's wrong, if indeed something is. Don't people just give up things like this for lack of motivation? I am a very driven, motivated person. I am extremly disciplined and have no problem with commitment. I am goal oriented and if I'm not learning something new on the piano, then it's really boring, but right now I have no passion to learn ANYTHING new. I even put a statue of Beethoven next to my piano for motivation, but nothing...

#1119537 06/20/05 04:49 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Linda for your advice, I think that feels right!

#1119538 06/20/05 05:13 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If it's not a financial hardship, hang onto the piano. (I wish I had done that). Some day you will walk past it and decide to play for a few minutes. Those few minutes will be very rewarding (my estimate) even if you don't spiral into a new obsession with extreme amounts of practice.

There are probably other things calling you. You need to listen to them too. Piano is wonderful, but not the only thing in life.

Phil
#1119539 06/20/05 05:58 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Palley. It's hard to justify a 7k piano to sit and have me play the "same old songs, whenever", but I understand what you mean. I don't want to be the kind of person that has it for pretty. Besides, I'll have to maintain it and that too costs. It's brand new and since I'm renting it, I think it's best I send it back for now. If in a few years or whenever, I might want to get back, I'll get one then.

For the life of me, I just don't understand how I could loose that passion. I have begun oil painting and really enjoy it, but it's nothing like the passion I used to had for music. It's really fun and makes time go buy fast. I mean really fast.

Thank you all for your opinions.

#1119540 06/20/05 06:13 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
1) Invite some friends over and play for them
2) Sit in with a band or practice with one
3) Go to the local college and try out for the jazz band
4) Go play (volunteer) in a retirement home
5) Teach a friend how to play a tune.
8) Don't give it up whatever you do. I have been away from music for too long and getting back to my prior form (with a different instrument) is a struggle! You will surely regret letting such a beautiful talent go by the wayside.

Haywood
-------------
#1119541 06/20/05 06:14 AM
L
L
I've noticed as I age that I just don't get "on fire" for a lot of things anymore - it doesn't mean I don't enjoy them, or won't continue to pursue them, but life gets in the way and demands a lot of time and energy that was once used for other, more fun things.

This summer has been extremely busy for me due to unexpected family commitments that are very wearing, both physically and emotionally. Some days, piano becomes less an outlet for me and it and lesson days are just another obligation. But next week, or next month, I can't wait to get to the bench and let the music take me away...

Don't beat yourself up too badly - like the other poster said, the music will always be there and may call you back down the road a ways...Liz

#1119542 06/20/05 08:03 AM
Please think about why you started playing in the first place. Try to rekindle your love for piano if you can. If you can't, well, maybe you need to take a break. But don't be afraid to come back to it some day, when you're ready. thumb

And remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.

Remember, I'm pullin for you, we're all in this together
-From a TV Show
#1119543 06/20/05 06:44 PM
S
S
AH....

NOW i got it.. What we have here is a silver spoon person who never had to work for anything, thinking that being an accomplished pianist would fill some kind of hole in their life, and now he's bored.. tear tear. cry cry.
Get serious about your music and stop feeling sorry for yourself and stop looking for sympathy
from those who have something you dont

I try to live, love and laugh as much as I can every day, because every day may be my last
#1119544 06/21/05 05:33 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sweep88, that is some tough love!

Pefection (no 'r'), my wife says I have too many hobbies that I get into and out of too often. In fact many have said this about me. Maybe it's true. What is fact is that I get out of things when I feel satisfied in knowing that I know more/can do more on the subject than 99.44% of the people I know/meet.

Music is another thing. My exposure has been with some great educators AND practitioners. I know I will never feel satisfied with myself musically, but I can still get pleasure from my smallest of accomplishments. I think the drive for music comes from knowing that I am not even close to where I want to be/where I could be.

I guess, what I am suggesting to you is to find an inspiring environment of talented musicians to have them challenge you. Then you can determine whether you have any fight left in you.

Haywood
-------------
#1119545 06/21/05 07:00 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Sweep you know nothing about me. I've been homeless, sick with cancer but in remission, both parents are dead. Had a son that died at an early age and...without an education have worked myself up to a Business Manager's position of a multi million dollar company through hard, hard work. Keep your judgements to yourself. People like you are what makes this world hard to live in.

Yep, I guess I qualify for feeling sorry for myself huh?

Keep of my thread you bully!!!

#1119546 06/21/05 07:46 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i remember that we had a thread some time last year, where a guy asked how to get motivation to continue playing piano. according to him, he'd been worked very hard on some very difficult pieces (couldn't remember the names now), and then suddenly, exhausted, he didn't want to play anything anymore. so, it's a similar situation. the advices anyone else could give at the time was similar: take a break and come back later.

the point is that there's no one else who could motivate you unless you have that within yourself. piano playing is like dancing or sports, which is about love. you just have to love what you do or you won't last. usually, trying too hard or beyond certain point would do the opposite - breaking your love for doing it. so, at such a case, one shall stop or step back a bit, think over it and see what you really want to do next.

you'll come back, Pefection!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission