2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Theowne:
I think there's some confusion here. I haven't uploaded my recital piece onto Youtube yet, but people keep complimenting me for the video version of my piece, which doesn't exist yet confused
Well, heck, there's a YouTube link in your recital profile, and that's what I clicked on and watched... it must have been you playing some other piece.

[have I mentioned that I know very little about classical music yet??? laugh ]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A few more to add....

37. Monster M&H /Les – Oh my! This is one of my big favorites! Love the spunk, and the trills are awesome! Your piano sounds just gorgeous, too.

38. Schubertian – That’s 2 hands full of music-playing right there! As I’ve said, those who can play Bach – and to play it so well, as you have – is quite impressive to me. I admire your ability to play so clearly and beautifully.

39. Van – Well, I know I’ve shared with you my thoughts in The Bar and in listening again, it stands - your emotion is still felt well with this piece. Alongside the slight sadness, there is a gentle sweetness to it that I enjoy very much. Also, that you have taught yourself to improvise this well in the short amount of time you’ve been playing is something you should really feel good about!

40. Euan Morrison – I would like to hear more by Max Richter. Thank you for introducing me to his work. You obviously mastered your newly-learned technique well.

41. Piano*Dad AKA David Feldman – Wow, you really had me with every note. There are many elements to this piece that held my attention – some of which I can describe and know the terms one would use, but most I do not, so I will save myself the embarrassment! Just know that this blew me away, seriously.

42. IrishMak/Mary Alice – you gotta love the “ah-ha!” moments of figuring out all this techy stuff, huh? I know how you feel – my first recording took HOURS! Very well done and your piece sounds great!

43. DramaQueen – wow, more pristinely-played Bach! I’m glad to hear your injury is on the mend and how wonderful you are able to use the piano to your healing benefit.

44. Mistaya – Caroline – relaxing piece yet sounds technically pretty difficult. You play with very nice emotion. I like this one quite a bit.

Tina

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
joangolfing and rustyfingers - thanks for the list - I just cut and pasted so I had the whole recital list -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
6th and final group of comments:

51 — chopin952 — Nocturne Op. 32 No. 2 — Chopin

Chopin952, this is a beautifully played nocturne. It sounds every bit as good to me as any professionally played Chopin Nocturne I’ve ever heard. Because you are so good should not keep you from entering your wonderful music in the future. I’ll sure be Lisztening. Thank you.

52 — Mark… — I Do Fiumi — Einaudi

Mark…you have really come a long way in a short time. You are displaying a depth of feeling in your play that must make you feel proud. Your hard work and dedication is showing wonderful results. Keep up the good work.

53 — rocky — Angels Among Us — Hobbs/Goodman

rocky, you’ve taken a song for easy piano and made it more with your tender touch. While listening, I only hear the beautiful melody that you give us. If it had been any more complex, it may well have lost the lovely line that you express. This is easy so on the ear.

54 — LaValse — Vision Fugitives 1 (Lentamente) and 10 (Ridicolosamente) — Prokofiev

LaValse, I’m sure glad you changed your mind and submitted these. I’m not a super fan of Prokofiev, but these are some exceptional miniatures that are pleasantly musical. You do a beautiful job of bringing out the playfulness in these pieces. Sensitive play.

55 — joangolfing — Poem — George

Joangolfing, you play a very beautiful poem that is very soothing and peaceful. Your soft touch highlights the relaxing tones. Very nicely played.

56 — Mike A — Autumn in New York — Duke

Mike, I really enjoy this old pop standard. I have two versions of sheets in my piano bench. I played one of them many years ago. Your rendition from lead sheets is even better than my full sheets. You sound good enough to have your own gigs in Manhattan. Smooth as silk.

57 —cscl — Sonatina in G Major, K.A. 5, No. 1, I. Moderato — Beethoven

cscl, your Adagio digital sounds great and you have done a tremendous job learning on it. You will have no problems with this piece for your recital. You’ve nailed it here. I know you must be anxious to record your Estonia. I hope that we’ll all hear it during the next recital.

This has been a fun recital with much beautiful music played for the enjoyment of all. We’ve had the most entries, the most diversity in background and sound and, I believe, the best quarterly recital, yet. Many thanks go to all the participants who made it so good. A special thank you goes to Monica and Mahlzeit for simplifying the entry process. That was a big accomplishment. Also, thanks to Copper for his zips and stats.

My humble thank you goes to each of you who has commented on my play. You are beautiful people.

This is the best community on the web and I’m proud to be a part of it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by IrishMak:
42: IrishMak: Members of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to the Music of Grieg will be contacting you shortly....
Mary Alice, I really never heard of this Society..... laugh

I am so sure Edvard Grieg himself would be nothing but thrilled by the fact that his music is played and admired in a 2007 web-recital.
Grieg deliberately made a lot of his piano music for amateurs to play and to share among friends -not for concert halls.
He, as I, would love that his beautiful "Morgenstemning" was played in a sweet and tender way for us in New Hampshire, as much as he would appreciate "Hjemve" from Texas and "For dine Føtter" from Ohio !

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher has just assigned me Grieg's Nocturne Op 54 which I am looking forward to learning...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=24shW29Hv_A&feature=related

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LaValse, I'm looking forward to hearing "Notturno" in the next recital.... wink

It's indeed beautiful, I can not play it (one day maybe...), but the best performance I've heard of this was live about a week ago by Sveinung Bjelland.

Ragnhild

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Ragnhild,

I think I heard him play it via the Bergen International Festival broadcast on BBC Radio 3 recently! - do you know if there is a recording available...? I couldn't find one...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LaValse, as far as i know has mr Bjelland never recorded Grieg.

If you don't have a recording of Notturno or others of the Lyric pieces there are many to choose from, if you ask C7 player he would say Eva Knardahl, I like Einar Steen-Nøkleberg, but I think I would recommend Leif Ove Andsnes playing Grieg's piano at Troldhaugen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grieg-Lyric-Pieces-Edvard/dp/B00005UUOC

He also plays "Bådnlåt" - in a quite sad, melancholic version. I wanted to make mine a joyful one like you would sing to a baby. His "Homesickness", though, is magnifique !

(I don't know which concert you heard from Bergen, but you might have heard Grieg's 3rd violin sonata with Andsnes and Julian Rachlin ?)

Ragn-child

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Ragnhild, I'll look at those CDs. This is what was on the radio from Bergen:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/afternoonon3/pip/n1odj/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/afternoonon3/pip/olkdu/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I see this is what you heard

Grieg: 3 Lyric Pieces (Gangar; Notturno; Trolltog)
Sveinung Bjelland (piano)

It's exactly the same as we heard in Falnes church on the 11th - but the piano is probably better in Grieghallen wink (But he really made the upright in the church sound wonderfully).

He also played Griegs last violinsonata with Arve Tellefsen. (or the other way around would probably be more correct to say...)

I's a pity Bjelland has not recorded Grieg, probably he will, but this is all I found on his website :

http://www.sveinungbjelland.com/ramme.htm

Now we have almost made a whole page about Grieg and I'm not sure if I shall be ashamed or happy laugh

Ragnchild
(from a wet, windy green place with lots of sheep, almost like Wales....)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Jotur, Have you printed out a copy of ddh's CD Cover for Recital 8 along with my list? It makes a nice folder when stapled together.

I am interested in comparing the recording methods and I'm jotting down comments on my printout. I found 20 acoustic pianos recorded with Zoom H4 (14), Zoom H2(2),Edirol R09 (1), or MP3 players(3) and 37 digital recordings. This recital included so many very professional sounding pieces that it is a source for learning about quality MP3 production.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
> (from a wet, windy green place with
> lots of sheep, almost like Wales....)

smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
joangolfing,

I used the Roland (Edirol) equiv of the Zoom.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=757

Warning - noisy link!

smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks LaValse, I'll edit my post.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jotur:
joangolfing and rustyfingers - thanks for the list - I just cut and pasted so I had the whole recital list -

Cathy
I was thinking about asking mahlzeit if he could preserve the list on the submission site after the recital submissions are closed so that we can cut and paste from it and use that to do our reviews. --This wouldn't include the recording methods that joangolfing
added, however.

But then I didn't want to seem ungrateful for all the fine work on the program. smile

As it was, I copied the text from Monica's recital thread into Word and did some search and replacing to get it down to the basic elements.

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
I was thinking about asking mahlzeit if he could preserve the list on the submission site after the recital submissions are closed so that we can cut and paste from it and use that to do our reviews.
Interesting idea, a response template. I can add something like that.

(Heh heh, I could even have it fill in the reviews automatically by choosing randomly from "Nice work!", "Loved your playing!", "Pretty good!". Nah, let's not do that. laugh )

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Or, in my case, "Don't quit your day job"! laugh laugh laugh

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
(Heh heh, I could even have it fill in the reviews automatically by choosing randomly from "Nice work!", "Loved your playing!", "Pretty good!". Nah, let's not do that. laugh )
LOL

Yes, I've also printed out the cd cover - great fun.

And now I've even gotten techy enough that I put the recital on a flash drive at work, downloaded it to my Sony software, and made a mini disc I can take with me on the road this Thanksgiving. Wowzer!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, here's a sneak-peak of a new feature that I've added for the next recital. I imported the submissions from this recital (except for #57 which wasn't in the database).

Check it out smile

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission