Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1121574 - 11/25/08 05:23 PM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Peyton:
We should have a "Drama Alert Network". When real drama/soap opera stuff starts happening on the forum an alert gets e-mailed out so we can catch it before it's deleted. [/b]
Count me in!

Cathy

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1121575 - 11/25/08 08:08 PM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
Hey JF!,

I just got back from my piano lesson and I see that the Hunkster wants a copy of the "friendly" exchange between you and me. [/b]
Well, like you, not too sure about that "friendly" part - more like "semi-civil, but nevertheless pithy" I would think ;\)

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving to you, my favorite adversary,

Lisztener [/b]
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to you too (and to all) - we have a lot to be thankful for - like deleted posts, etc. \:\)

Regards, JF

P.S. "favorite adversary" :p Reminds me of my step-daughter, who claims she's my favorite step-daughter (hoping that I'll forget that she's my only one).

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1121576 - 11/25/08 09:53 PM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Haha. That dimm buzz is ME \:D .

I just love how at one point or another everybody seems to get in a fight with someone. Heck, I'm sure that at one point or another everybody has fought with everyone else; probably about something stupid too!

I've had it out with both John Frank AND Listener as well as constantly make cheap cracks at our lovely Monica!. WHO CARES! It just shows how reasonable people CAN get along even when they don't agree..... eventually! ;\)

I think everyone is stupid including myself.

Just think if you get into an argument with me and later your spouse askes why your in such a ****y mood and you have to tell them that you were on some internet forum arguing with a Mr Super-Hunky!

Someone has just got to look like a moron here! \:D

#1121577 - 11/25/08 09:58 PM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hey Listener, I thought *I* was your favorite adversary!. Did you dump me?

#1121578 - 11/25/08 11:59 PM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hunk,

I've given up on you because I can't convince you that the star rating system is the greatest thing since sliced fingers in the sandwich shop.

Seriously, :p it has been awhile since I've turned your neck red hasn't it. :rolleyes:

Well, to tell the truth (Hmmm) I've come to think of you like an older brother, so our disagreements have become family matters and not for public display.

Sound like a reasonable cop-out? \:D

Good luck acquiring your desired transcript of my discussion with JF. If you find a copy, please send me one, OK?

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend,

Lisztener

#1121579 - 11/26/08 04:22 AM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
I just love how at one point or another everybody seems to get in a fight with someone. Heck, I'm sure that at one point or another everybody has fought with everyone else; probably about something stupid too!
[/b]
At the risk of getting into a fight with you \:D the reality is that it's only a few of us that are once in awhile "squabbling" (like a band of real brothers) and it's never over something stupid - quite to the contrary our "gentlemanly disagreements" are always concerning key issues that are vitally important to the ongoing welfare of this Forum community - you, of course, would not "dispute" that, would you?

And I would prefer to believe that we arrive at these points of contention precisely because of our high intelligence which is always aided and abetted by our very sensitive artistic temperament. \:\)

Regards, JF

P.S. Just re-read what I wrote above and it sounds so good even I might believe it sooner or later! :p

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1121580 - 11/26/08 07:10 AM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:

Just think if you get into an argument with me and later your spouse askes why your in such a ****y mood and you have to tell them that you were on some internet forum arguing with a Mr Super-Hunky!
\:D \:D \:D [/b]

#1121581 - 11/26/08 11:28 AM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Theowne,

I just finished listening to your Ravel, and then watching the video. I sure as heck couldn't play like that after three years training.

It's too bad the video chops you off at the forearms, but I can understand wanting to preserve anonymity. You appear to have a very relaxed technique, which is such a blessing in a piece like that. Tense wrist and forearm would make that kind of light and rapid movement a torture. [/b]
Thanks for the comments! I can't think of anything critical to say about your performance, which was excellent, so instead I'll comment on the splicing, which was a tad too audible, you could eliminate that by fading between the two halves so that it sounds less abrupt. \:\)

#1121582 - 11/26/08 12:57 PM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

JF, I'll let you have the last word this time......

This time......Mu-wah-ha ha ha

#1121583 - 11/28/08 10:53 AM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Schubertian,

I commented in the general thread that your thirds (at least I think they were thirds!) were very evenly played and round toned. They sang.

Two small comments.

I think that even a prelude as stately and song-like as this one could benefit from a touch more articulation in the phrasing. Perhaps because it is so song-like the phrasing assumes even more importance. My second point is related. I don't have the score in front of me, so I don't know what pedal markings Chopin placed in there (or what the editors of your urtext edition did with it), but I wonder what the piece would sound like with a somewhat lighter approach taken to pedaling. That might allow you to go to the expressive high points of each musical idea and essentially take a small breath of separation.

I don't happen to own a copy of the preludes. What a silly lapse on my part! Therefore, take everything that I say with a huge pinch of proverbial salt. Staring at the text makes for better understanding.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1121584 - 11/28/08 11:52 AM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
AdagioM,

My son's teacher is always harping on "go to there." [See above comment to Schubertian!] That's her shorthand for finding the high point in a major musical idea and letting the listener know that you have arrived there.

You might have some fun experimenting with that process. This piece has that wonderful repeated rising theme, Dum da da da da Dee, which might be a good candidate for a small crescendo to the final Dee (the arrival note). Other possibilities also suggest themselves in this very beautiful and lyrical piece.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1121585 - 11/29/08 09:54 PM Re: Recital 12 -- Critical Discussion Room
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
AdagioM,

My son's teacher is always harping on "go to there." [See above comment to Schubertian!] That's her shorthand for finding the high point in a major musical idea and letting the listener know that you have arrived there.

You might have some fun experimenting with that process. This piece has that wonderful repeated rising theme, Dum da da da da Dee, which might be a good candidate for a small crescendo to the final Dee (the arrival note). Other possibilities also suggest themselves in this very beautiful and lyrical piece. [/b]
Piano*Dad, you are absolutely right. I need to decide which Dee is THE Dee, and make that clear! I was pleased to just get the notes (big chords in the LH, not my forte), but having gotten them, there is a lot of room for more expressiveness with both dynamics and rubato here. I will be working on it! Thanks for your comment.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
feux d'artifice
by dolce sfogato
10/23/14 06:04 PM
impossibly possible
by dolce sfogato
10/23/14 05:57 PM
Frederic Chiu - Oct. 30, Columbia University
by Piano World
10/23/14 05:50 PM
The Beat This Dead Horse Thread
by JimF
10/23/14 05:41 PM
From the NY Times online. In performance:Frederic Chiu
by pianoloverus
10/23/14 05:41 PM
Who's Online
148 registered (Anne'sson, 36251, ajames, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1485 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76631 Members
42 Forums
158452 Topics
2326910 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission