Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1121779 - 06/10/08 08:43 AM OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I realize my question has nothing to do with music, but it does with my ability to log on to this forum, which is a life-line for me.

I have to get a new ISP because the rate I will be charged by our cable company (we're dropping them) will be doubled.

I was told that Sprint offers a great wireless service for $40 a month. I like the idea of wireless even though I have a desktop. Presently, my computer is sitting in my family room, complete with oodles of cables and a router and a black box. All this makes for such a mess.

Sprint offers a wireless, which means I will just have to plug into a USB port with a aircord.

My question is....do any of you have Sprint? Are you happy with it? Or can you recommend another ISP that is more reasonable and offers the same service. Oh, I will be getting 40 mg of dowload whatever. And it is high speed.

Many thanks for your help, and I hope Frank doesn't get angry with me for using the forum for promotion of a product. If he does, perhaps you can just PM me, if you don't mind.

My best,
Kathleen

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1121780 - 06/10/08 08:57 AM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I do not have the wireless Sprint service but know people who do and they are happy with it, but they have a business need for it. Typically, not sure if this is for sure the case with you, you would be paying extra for the mobility.
I am guessing you ISP is Comcast?
Do you have a landline for your phone from a different company like AT&T? If so, you may be able to get DSL for cheaper thru them. You could also check if AT&T U-Verse is in your area.
Another thing you could try is the costumer retention department from your current services. Sometimes they will roll you into another promotion to keep you from switching to a competitor.

Good luck, I know how much of a pain it can be.

#1121781 - 06/10/08 09:24 AM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Triryche, for responding so quickly. You are not too far from me, so I think you will be having a day of sunshine as is predicted for our area.

You are correct!! We do have Comcast (originally Insight). But we are going for the Dish for our TV...a great promotion going on right now.

We got rid of our landline last year as AT&T went crazy with their prices. My husband and I each have our own cell phone, which we love. Both of us are seniors, so it is almost a necessity to be able to get to a phone easily.

Good idea about calling the cutomer retention department. I might give that a try. But good news that the people you know who have Sprint are happy with it. Someday I think I will move my computer upstairs to my office, so then that mobility will be desirable. And, I have been seriously thinking about buying a laptop in the near future. I really made a mistake buying a desktop this time around...and boy, do I hate VISTA!

Again, many thanks...and yes...what a pain!
Kathleen

#1121782 - 06/10/08 10:51 AM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Kathleen,

Incase you do not already know, you can have wireless internet in your house regardless of your ISP. The Sprint wireless is not really indented as wireless solution for within the home but for total mobility, so you could have internet access when taking your laptop on the train, in the park...

Yes, after the clobbering we took over the weekend we really need the sunshine!!

#1121783 - 06/10/08 01:07 PM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
polostrings Offline

Loc: Hawaii
We have Sprint. Had it for years. Used to be pretty good, now I can't wait to get off the contract to switch. I can't get reception at work or home, pretty worthless. I imagine service with the different companies is fairly regional. I would ask my neighbors.
I'm switching to Cingulair, so I can get the Iphone. I'm an Apple person, always been happy with Apple. Good luck.

#1121784 - 06/10/08 01:12 PM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
I personally never had a good relationship with Sprint (back when they used to be my cell provider).

As far as ISP - what do you mean by wireless? How does the signal get to your house? If it's by air, then I find it hard to believe it would be cheaper than through cable. And you certainly can't expect the bandwidth to be as high as through cable.

Cable is usually the most economical (and reliable) way of going about getting internet to your house, especially if you get a package with cable programming.

#1121785 - 06/10/08 01:24 PM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It is not generally known, but things like
home wireless internet, cable modems, and
dsl have become pretty much obsolete recently,
because technology has bypassed them, and you
can now get fast internet from the phone jack
on your wall, that is, dial-up is now almost
as fast as cable modems and dsl and at
a fraction of the cost, something like
$15.00 per mo.

#1121786 - 06/10/08 02:14 PM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
miaeih Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gyro:
It is not generally known, but things like
home wireless internet, cable modems, and
dsl have become pretty much obsolete recently,
because technology has bypassed them, and you
can now get fast internet from the phone jack
on your wall, that is, dial-up is now almost
as fast as cable modems and dsl and at
a fraction of the cost, something like
$15.00 per mo. [/b]
OMG I can't stop laughing.

#1121787 - 06/11/08 09:19 AM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
4000 Post Club Member

First of all, thank you all for responding with such good information. \:\)

Secondly, I feel like a fool :rolleyes: because after I called several ISP companies and got their rates, my husband decided it was worth the cost of sticking with Comcast as the increase in price for our cable TV and my internet connection would be worth the hassle of changing.

Again, thank you,
Kathleen

#1121788 - 06/11/08 02:19 PM Re: OT- Way Off - ISP help needed
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
A wise decision. Like I said, cable is usually the best choice. The only exception is if you need some channels that are only offered on satellite (usually international). Also very fast FIOS has been becoming more widespread lately, but it doesn't apply to your situation.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
27 minutes 58 seconds ago
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
54 minutes 2 seconds ago
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Today at 05:19 PM
Does anybody know about Hayes London?
by Sam4
Today at 05:16 PM
Mason & Hamlin Opinions
by Hunt
Today at 03:23 PM
Who's Online
133 registered (accordeur, acortot, antony, 43 invisible), 1193 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157634 Topics
2315348 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission