2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1123231 05/24/07 02:05 PM
R
Rodney Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
I find myself in a constant state of frustration; feeling that I'm not really making much progress. This obviously occurs because as the skill grows, so does the difficulty of the repertoire. Last night I figured it was time to see how much progress I've made these last few years.

When I started learning piano, I didn't have a teacher so I worked through the Alfred's All-In-One Adult course on my own. I remember struggling (especially getting past the initial inertia with volume one) since this was a completely new skill. Some of the pieces would take many days/weeks of practice to get under the fingers. It's been a few years since I've even looked at these volumes so last night I blew the dust off them for a little refresher/test.

Well,...... I must have learned something these past few years since I could sight read (at tempo) the entire first volume in less than an hour (that's every exercise and piece). A couple of the pieces were familiar but most have been LONG forgotten. I'm going to attack volume 2 and 3 over the next couple of days and then they're going to be sacrificed on a flaming alter to the music gods (I really disliked most of the music/arrangements in this series).

Sometimes it's worthwhile looking back to see how far we've come.

Rodney

#1123232 05/24/07 02:17 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Excellent (and inspiring) post, Rodney! I agree that it is often very hard to determine how much progress we're making, because it happens in small increments. That's a major reason I decided to put together an annual CD. Although I've only done one so far, I'm hoping that Volume 2 will show a definite improvement in difficulty level and technique. (Er, if not Volume 2, maybe Volume 3? whome )

Your post also suggests a great exercise for anybody who ever feels discouraged or stuck in a plateau: Dig out some pieces you worked on 2 or 3 years previously and discover how easy they are to sight read now. I imagine it is a wonderful morale-booster indeed.

#1123233 05/24/07 02:40 PM
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You should donate them to the local library, Rodney, the music gods are always looking for more victims...uhh...worshippers.

[Linked Image]
#1123234 05/24/07 03:26 PM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Well Rodney, you must be doing something right. I have spent the last six months working on Alfred book one, and you were able to go back and do it again in an hour...

I bet you really missed on Top of old Smokey... laugh

#1123235 05/25/07 12:41 PM
F
F
My teacher will have her students go back to something they worked even 6 months ago for that very reason. If she feels that the student is getting frustrated or just needs a break, she'll dig out the old book and actually assign a piece that the student really struggled with a while back. She's done it to me and it really has helped me break out of a funk.

I have a deep and satisfying relationship with my Yamaha U1...
#1123236 05/25/07 03:03 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
as we're still learning techniques, pieces and getting busy with all that stuff, we don't usually realize how far we've gone since the time we started. but once you look back and compare what you're now and then, it's hard not to see what a huge leap we have actually achieved. i'm sometimes even amazed at what i can play now, which used to be something quite impossible.

of course, there're always some frustrations down the road, when some technique hurdels are still there. but looking back, it feels great at what we have done with piano!

#1123237 05/28/07 10:36 PM
M
M
This is one of the things that I find most frustrating about being a begining piano player. I am always at the level of not being able to play the music in front of me. As soon as I learn a piece it's time to move on to a new more challenging piece, so there's a very short window of feeling like I'm competent.

Also, I'm at a level that even if I have "learned" a piece, I have to play it everyday to retain that comptenece level. If I go even a few days without playing through it I would not be able to place that piece in front of anybody. So I am mostly never in the position of spur of the moment, "I heard you're taking piano lessons, play something for me," demonstrations.

#1123238 05/29/07 01:22 AM
mrpod:

I would advice you to take the "demonstrations" opertunity as much as they are presented.. Playing for a audience is very different then playing for yourself, and even for your teacher. When I started lessons, I shaked around the keyboard that playing wasn't possible anymore, she was very clever and started some small-talk bringing me at ease, and after that asking me to play the song again. Be upfrond to your friends tell them you can't sight read and due to stress memory won't serve you well so you might play a bit "funky". If they are you'r friends they will applaud even if you didn't strike a note right. You will know it sucked they know... but if they come back after a year, you can amaze them with your progress.

About the short window.. if you completed a piece and you like it ask your teacher to keep it in for 1 or 2 weeks extra polishing on some articulation or timing. It will improve your "musical" capabilities, and you get the feeling working on music instead of hammering notes. And if you do this simultaniously with the study of a new piece you can switch between them if you need a "powerboost" in your own competence.

these are all just my experiences no guarantees on this wink

Kawai K6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission