2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
This is a brand new study group for, possibly the most emotional and beautiful, nocturne Chopin wrote. But it's a "biggie" as far as technical ability goes. eek

The following (gosh, I hope he doesn't mind) is our own LisztAddict's version of this magnificient nocturne, and I must say he plays it WONDERFULLY. wow

Don't be deceived by the first part, as it seems relatively easy.

Nocture 48.1 by LisztAddict

The first two pages aren't too very difficult, albeit you will need to stretch those fingers in your left hand.

If you are interested in joining this group, just log on.

Warning: For most of us, this will be a major project, so be forewarned. wink

If you need the sheet music, let me know.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm in. I've started the first two pages. I see this as a major long term project for me. The second half is tres difficult.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The octave part is the most difficult, but it's all technique. The last part where the main theme comes back is not as hard as the octave part, but you have to bring out the melody.

I spent only about 5 years to learn this particular piece as you hear I play. So if you don't quite get there after a year or 2, don't give up.

If you have any question for me, ask away. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LisztAddict, that was BREATHTAKING!

D
D
This is my favorite nocturne !!

I think I should wait until I buy a new piano before attempting this though, I feel like my 40" 1960 Mason & Risch wouldn't be worthy of having this beautiful piece played on it wink

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Warning: For most of us, this will be a major project, so be forewarned. [Wink]
That's an understatement for sure!
Yes, it was beautifully played.
Mike

D
D
Just finished listening to LisztAddict'S recording a second time in a row and I can't find a better word than AnotherSchmoe : BREATHTAKING !

You play it really fast, I have a Naxos recording of it which lasts one full minute longer, but yours is really.. woah.. full of energy, I really felt the torment of the composer in your playing.

N
N
Wow!! That was great LisztAddict! Just beautiful!! You are certainly a talented pianist.
Hope everyone has fun learning this and I look forward to hearing the recordings.

"If you are going through heck, keep going." Winston Churchill
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you for all the comments on my recording.

Most pianists play this piece from around 5:30 to 6:30. But I think the overall time is not as important as how you take the tempo in each section. Tempo for the first 2 pages is Lento so be sure you don't rush through this part. It's very slow here so hitting the correct notes/keys is no problem. The really hard part here is phrasing. No matter how slow you play, you (and the listeners) must be able to hear where the music is going. I'll get into details when you have all the notes in your fingers. smile

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
LA...It took you 5 years!! eek Yikes, but good to know because then we can expect to spend at least that much time learning it. I personally think it's well worth the effort.

Here is what Huneker has to say about this piece:
The Nocturne in C minor, op. 48, has its despairing moments, but it is the broadest, most imposing andmost dramatic of teh series; its middle movement is a departure from the form. Biggest in conception, it is a miniature music-drama. Adequately to interpret it demands the grand manner. The doppio movimentio is dramatically exciting....along with the C sharp nocture, both works display the heroic quality, both are free from mawkishness, and are Chopin in the mode masculine.

Lennox Berkeley says: The nocturne in C minor, Op 48, 1 stands out as a word of major significance, surpassing in breath and grandeur all its predecessors.

Ashkenazy plays the first two pages LARGO confused not Lento. So slowly that I thought something was wrong with my stereo at first. Even Rubinstein plays it faster. And most of the time Ashkenazy plays Chopin too quickly. So I was suprised.

Anyhow, this will be a challenge. And we're happy to have LA here to help and, of course, Hershey.

I am using the Schirmer edition (for now) edited, revised and fingered by Joseffy. I don't think (at least I hope not) that Joseffy changed anything of significance.

Ready, set, go and go and go and go and go...well, you get the idea. thumb

Kathleen

J
J
LA. This is a beautiful piece and played with a lot of emotion. It is inspiring. If the time timeline is 5 years then I am interested. Where can I find the score?

Be happy while there is still time.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Joemoshi:

Here is a site that lets you download (for free) two compositions (by Chopin) a day.
Free Chopin Sheet Music

Glad you are with us. Hope we are all still together 5 years from now. thumb

Kathleen

J
J
Thank you Kathleen. At least the beginning is Lento. Should be interesting.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Actually, Joemoshi, as I think I mentioned previously. You can "get by" with playing it Largo, as Ashkenazy does. But it is sssssooooooo ssssslllllooooowwwwww that it's almost imposible to play at that tempo.

Kathleen

I just listened to your recording LisztA. It's very nice, very professional!

You guys don't take it easy do you? You all went from a very difficult nocturne to the most difficult one! I would consider trying it but I've already bitten off more than I can chew with my current pieces. I might join in late but it all depends.

Anyway, gotta get back to work. frown

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The first section could almost stand alone as a prelude. But then...Chopin always has to go and make it DIFFICULT! laugh

J
J
I have started. The first 8 measures were not too difficult. From here on it is going to be more and more difficult. There is still 5 years to go so I am optimistic.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Whenever you get the chance to join us, Sarah, you will be most welcomed.

Yeah, Peyton, why does Chopin do that? But let's face it, it's the difficult part that has the allure for us. There's no one who can do "drama" as Chopin can.

Joe: You're making good progress, and I hope you keep your optimstic attitude and spread it out a little for the rest of us. Because I KNOW we are going to need it.

I'm not certan about it, but it seemed to happen right after I started playing the first page. My pinkie on the LH developed a mind of its own. It refuses to join the rest of my hand. I can pull it to line up with the other fingers. When I hold it in place and then let go, it just pops out of place and stays about 2 inches from the rest of the hand. Strange, but doesn't hurt. But I've discovered it hasn't improved my span of my reach any. What I think it has done is decrease the strength of my 4th and 5th finger. Oh well, Hanon everyday!!

Kathleen

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just listened to Ashkenazy recording of this piece.

Just for the fun of it, not that it really matters any in the interpretation of the piece, I divide the piece into 4 sections: the opening, the hymn, the octave, and the triplet final section. And here are his timing vs. mine:

Section 1: Ashkenazy played 2:24, I played 2:02
Section 2: 1:17 vs 1:22
Section 3: 0:48 vs 0:45
Section 4: 1:49 vs 1:47

With the Nocturne No 20 in C# minor, he played 3:56, I played 3:58.
(Pat self on the back) laugh

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
LA: You most certainly deserve a pat on the back with enough force to send you sailing to Chicago in April to hear Kissin. laugh

Don't you think he plays the first section extremely slow? Not that I don't like it, I do. It takes time to get your hands/finger around those chords. But I was surprised at his tempo here, for he normally everything else (Chopin) a tad too fast for my taste.

You did a spectacular job even if it did take you 5 years. That time was extremely well spent. And you deserve to be very proud of yourself (we're proud of you, also). smile yippie

Kathleen

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission