2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Hi All,

I got a comment on one of my YouTube piano videos that said they liked my piano playing but not my singing. Should I stop trying to sing and just play the piano? I know I’m not that good at either, but when somebody flat-out tells you they don’t like your playing or singing, that smarts a little. I don't know, maybe I’m spoiled from all the positive complements that I get from other members of this great forum and my friends and relatives. Or, maybe my playing and singing really does stink altogether and no one has had the courage to tell me (except the guy on YouTube).

I don’t mind constructive criticism when there is something positive to be gained that can be used to make improvements but to be told point-blank they don’t like your musical endeavors (or at least a portion of it) kind of stings a little.

Okay, thanks for listening. I feel better now smile . I guess it just goes to show that there is a lot of truth to the old saying that “you can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can’t please all the people all the time”. smile

Take care, (and don’t let anyone discourage you from learning, improving and enjoying your music thumb )

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Rick--I see totally ridiculous comments on YouTube. Some of those people must stay up late every night trying to think of rude things to say, and I think a lot of forums and blog comments are like that too. I guess we live in a bubble here on the ABF. You continue doing whatever you want to do and try not to pay attention to the comments. Clearly, their only real talent is being negative, so they are looking for an opportunity to showcase that. I think the best thing is never to respond; it only lets them know they've hit their mark and can pile it on more.

Nancy

Estonia 168
D
D
If you go to other you tube video's done by different people you will always see some bonehead making a comment and some of them are pretty ignorant in what they say. I often visit members of PW who have posted on you tube and file download sites, including yours and I enjoy them immensely even though I rarely make any comments. If you want to sing go for it if you just want to play go for it or a combination of the two.

OP Online Content
Thanks, Nancy and Dave.

And, ditto on the statement about the ABF and the bubble; but the bubble (ABF) is indeed a nice, friendly place to be compared to a cold, cruel world out there (YouTube smile ).

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Rick, you are going to get that no matter what you do or say...(or play).

Especially in this computer environment where people can hide under their desks behind their computers and lob insults at folks who are brave enough to put their stuff out there...insults that they would never have the nerve to say to you face to face.

I have been playing blues and boogie-woogie music professionally since 1973, and have come to regard input in the following way:

If someone is a recognized expert in the field that they are commenting upon, then I will take their input and see if there is any truth to it, and adjust myself accordingly, if possible.

(Sometimes there is truth to what those folks say, but sometimes they are protecting their own turf, and putting down the competition).

If someone is a drunk in a bar (where I play the blues all the time), their input has very little value.

If someone has nothing positive to say, and they are not a accomplished performer, then I assume that they are a frustrated person lashing out at someone who actually is doing something.

Bottom line...if you put yourself out there, people will praise you, others will criticize you, and most will just walk on by, ignoring you.

The only thing you can do is develop a think skin, which I am still working on!!

What I do do is keep a log in my heart of postive comments that more accomplished people have said about me, who's input, due to their more accomplished stature, actually means something.

Their input is golden, and is a perfect antidote to any and all unconstructive criticism.

ps...I like your music...don't stop!

pps...Ask those folks how they would compare your singing to that of Howling Wolf, whose voice is a hard-to-describe mix of sandpaper, growling, etc, and nevertheless is a blues great. (I met him shortly before he died...a very gracious man.)

Here is a clip of Chester Arthur Burnett aka "The Howling Wolf":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ou-6A3MKow&feature=related

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rickster, you can't let clowns like that get you down. Being able to play the piano *at all* is an accomplishment in itself, this is the "king of instruments" after all! Add to that the fact that you are singing *and* playing simultaneously, I just don't know how you do that! Give yourself a big pat on the back and ignore what internet-trolls have to say. I doubt most of them could play so much as Mary Had a Little Lamb if asked to do so.

Anyways, the bottom line is, just do what you enjoy and be happy in the knowledge that you *are* doing it and doing it well. That's my 2 cents anyways. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rickster - even Pavarotti had his critics - forget about it - keep on playing and singing - the only critic who really matters is you - if you like what you're doing and are having lots of fun why should you care at all what some illiterate, thoughtless moron on YT says?

You're musical efforts are always enjoyable thumb

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
As a teacher, I get my share of criticism from parents, teachers, and students. There always seems to be a better way to teach, albeit few are willing to step into my classroom and show me that better way. Performing in any capacity is the same way. How many of us overweight, lethargic, Sunday afternoon quarterbacks sit around and tell ripped 250lb men how to play football? It is natural. The greats are those who rise above the criticism and it is also part of the reason that many of the greats, in anything field, develop those arrogant/holier than though attitudes. In many cases, if they did not, they would be eaten up inside by their detractors.

In the spirit of Albert Einstein, it is all relative. Remember, you are opening yourself up to everyone in the world with a computer. They are comparing you not to me or the average Joe trying to learn how to play. You are being compared to the greatest performers of all times. When they say your singing is not up to par, they are comparing you to the George Straits and Garth Brookes of the world. Or in my generation, Charlie Prides and Johnny Cashs. Compared to these folks, you probably do have a ways to go.

But compared to me and most people, you are way ahead of the game. So I am with the others, shrug it off, keep doing what you enjoy doing, and keep getting better. I appreciate your music and your effort. Many of us aspire to play as well as you do and most of us know we will never sing as well as you do.

Casio PX-320, Fabers' Adult Piano Adventures 1
"If you drive faster than I do, you are a maniac. If you drive slower than I do, you are are an idiot."
F
F
Please don't stop singing. I think you have a good voice and it goes particularly well with the style of music that you're playing.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi Rickster,

Nice playing, nice singing, keep it up. I enjoy your music.

David

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rick,

I think it just goes with the territory. Especially YouTube. Not everyone knows how to give "constructive critisism" and some are just plain out to hurt your feelings and/or be rude. As a fellow singer and song writer who has had his share of "pans" I hope you keep at it.

Actually, you know you will keep at it, it's in your blood. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There is much adolescence on youtube, regards of their real age.
If you enjoy doing it, who care’s what some anonymous knucklehead says?
I wonder how many videos the knucklehead has posted of his/herself!!

I think it is awesome when people share their talents so openly.

Originally posted by Peyton:
Actually, you know you will keep at it, it's in your blood. smile
What he said!! thumb

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
We live in a "put down raise myself up by stepping on you" society. It's how cretins get to feel good about themselves. If every pianist/singer that got a cheap shot aimed at him stopped playing/singing we'd never hear a peep out of anyone and that would be a real shame. Keep on singing and playing!

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
OP Online Content
Wow! I never realized I would get such gracious, articulate, professional, courteous, kind, sensible, and fantastic comments regarding my thread. All you folks are better than a paid therapist… how much do I owe you all? laugh Not only that, but everything you all had to say is so true and shows a great deal of wisdom.

Now I feel guilty for spending so much time on the piano forum; this is the best forum on all of PW. thumb

In all honesty, I do have a tendency to wear my feelings on my shoulders to an extent. I wish I didn’t but there are some things about us that we can’t simply alter or change in the snap of a finger. We all know our own strengths and weaknesses deep down in our heart. Sometimes, over time, we can improve/strengthen our weaknesses just like we can improve on our piano playing (and singing wink ) if we work at it.

I’m going to permanently document these comments in my heart and mind and keep on attempting to play the piano and sing… after all, it’s in my blood. smile

Many thanks to all…

Best regards,

Rick

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I like your singing, rickster. smile

I've learned through 21 years of handing out teacher evaluations that you really can't please everybody. I'll have some students in a class write that I'm the best professor they've ever had and have inspired them to choose psychology as a career... when other students in the exact same class, receiving the exact same teaching, say I'm horrible. Go figure. It used to bother me but now I realize that it's to be expected, and I just try to live up to my own standards.

...and I think this would be a most excellent time for you to record and post "Garden Party" with the immortal chorus of "But it's all right now/ I learned my lesson well./ You see, ya can't please everyone/ so ya got to please yourself." laugh

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Rickvis... er, Rickster,
Keep singing. For your style of music it makes your videos much more entertaining. I wish I could sing as well as you (or play for that matter). Keep 'em coming. They are both fun and instructional. thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rick-

No matter who you are, there is going to be someone out there who does not like your singing. As someone above said, there are those who didn't particularly like Pavarotti's voice. Count me as one of them, actually. But the man had talent, no denying that. If someone says they don't like your singing, it doesn't mean you "can't" or "shouldn't" sing, just that your particular vocal timbre or style does not appeal to that one person. And they are just that, one person. Don't worry about it, don't dwell on it. Don't try to "make" them like your singing, or change. Play and sing for those who do enjoy what you do. Those who don't can find someone else to listen to- there's plenty out there.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Rick, are you really considering quitting your day job for a music career?
thumb

Mike

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
B
B
The best way to be happy in this world is to develop some sort of rude people-blindness. Just ignore them, don't "see" them.
Internet allows that kind of behaviour where people post comments totally out of place because of some people's sense of anonimity.
Just ignore them.

OP Online Content
Rick, are you really considering quitting your day job for a music career? thumb

Mike
No, but when I emailed some of my YouTube music videos to my boss at work he emailed me back and asked me if I was going to quit my job and move to Nashville. laugh

Thanks for the comments, All!! smile

Take care,

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission