2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1124031 08/01/04 05:33 PM
apple* Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I asked Ryan from the gifted room about the practice techniques he uses (and teaches maybe)..

I feel a bit like a traitor. What are some of the practice techniques you have been taught... why do you like them (if you do)

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#1124032 08/01/04 05:37 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hmm - Techniques for technique, working on a difficult part or starting a new piece? Could you be more specific?

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
#1124033 08/01/04 05:47 PM
apple* Offline OP
OP Offline
just looking for ways to practice more efficiently... fishing for suggestions... entertaining the notion of studying with a serious rigorous teacher...

#1124034 08/01/04 06:19 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I have been trying to divide my serious "practice time" into 3 parts: 1. technical exercises my teacher has "suggested" 2. sight-reading practice
3.work on repetoire. I usually finish by choosing a couple of pieces I already know or by playing something I am working on from start to finish, ignoring any mistakes. I pretend I have an audience and that I have to keep going no-matter-what. During my repetoire time I usually pick parts of a new piece that are giving me trouble and really limit myself into working on just that part until I am satisfied that I have made real, permanent improvements on it. If I don't structure myself, I tend to get scattered and just play a bunch of different things without really "working" anything. Or worse, spending my time on things that are too hard for me and getting discouraged. Having a teacher really helps keep me on course. I am a "pleaser" and I want to be able to show progress when I go for my lesson.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

#1124035 08/01/04 07:06 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Apple - How much theory do you have under your belt? Many years ago when I started college I was a music major for a short while - voice not piano, although I took class piano at that time. I sometimes feel I have just enough theory knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to really be able to apply it. My teacher said it would be great if I could take a theory class, but I can't do that because they only hold them during the school-year at 8:00 a.m.and I am a teacher. I get lost when she starts talking tonics, dominants, subdominants and all that stuff. I know it technically, but I don't recognize it and apply it. Same with chord structures. I wish there was a way to get up to speed on all this really fast. I feel it holds me back from becoming a much better sight-reader. She has had me doing scales, which I have never done a lot of and it is helping in recognizing arpeggios and scales in Bach and Clementi, especially.

#1124036 08/02/04 07:22 AM
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
When I got back to the piano after a 17-year break, I was determined to work on my technique even if it meant playing nothing but exercises. I know from previous playing that my interpretation is pretty good, but my technique (or lack of it) had always kept me back.

I have at least 2 technical exercises at any time: one specifically for the right hand (lots of these abound), and one for the left hand (Czerny mostly). As I child I hated exercises, to my detriment. But now I derive much pleasure from practising these (the Czerny exercises are quite tuneful) because I could really see myself improving steadily. Exercises are important because they isolate specific areas and allow you to practise these in a far more effective manner.

Now that I have worked on exercises for close to 3 years, playing normal pieces have become so much easier because I have already practised most of the patterns and motifs before and all I have to do is to concentrate on the music and its interpretation.

As adults, we can be much more disciplined than children when it comes to exercises. However, we live in a culture of instant gratification and people want to run before they can walk. Just playing lots of pieces, even difficult ones, may be fun but one may also pick up a lot of bad habits which become very difficult to undo later. Without proper foundation, one will also be limited in the repetoire that one can play well. Although many of us have no aspiration to be a concert artist, I, for one, find much satisfaction in taking on challenges and facing them with a good arsenal instead of heading in armed with nothing but hope. In the end, the only one who is deluded is ourselves.

Btw, my piano teacher wishes more of her students could be like me and see the value of exercises! laugh

#1124037 08/02/04 07:29 AM
apple* Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by teachum:
Apple - How much theory do you have under your belt?
\
Absolutely none. I've taught myself. I am a church musician (on the side)and so much of what I need to do, consists of skills that demand theory knowledge... changing keys, transcribing organ for piano and vice versa, creating piano arrangements from orchestrated or guitar accompanied pieces. I just bought an Estonia, all my children will be in school full time for the first time come fall, and I get to take lessons, get another piano job and be little miss pianist.

My search for a teacher includes theory acquisition.... which I'm not really looking for forward to but.......

#1124038 08/02/04 07:42 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Wow! I really hate and admire people like you! If feels like everything I know about music I've had to really work at. I do have good ears, but I don't trust myself enough to improvise or get away from the sheet music. I would be willing to bet you "understand" way more than you think you do about theory - you just don't have the offical "learning" of it. I dug out my theory books last night from college and it's amazing how much I did "learn", but have not used for years. A good book is Theory for Practical People by Ed Roseman. My sister recommended it to me and she is way more accomplished that me. I believe she heard about it from Sonata in Vermont. It presents theory in a very fun, interesting way and is intended for everyone from those who can't "read" at all to much more accomplished musicians. I think it's worth the investment. http://www.edly.com is his website.

#1124039 08/02/04 03:02 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
From Roxane:
As adults, we can be much more disciplined than children when it comes to exercises. However, we live in a culture of instant gratification and people want to run before they can walk. Just playing lots of pieces, even difficult ones, may be fun but one may also pick up a lot of bad habits which become very difficult to undo later. Without proper foundation, one will also be limited in the repetoire that one can play well. Although many of us have no aspiration to be a concert artist, I, for one, find much satisfaction in taking on challenges and facing them with a good arsenal instead of heading in armed with nothing but hope. In the end, the only one who is deluded is ourselves.
Roxane,

Thank you for this. I keep reading about people that are playing original scores of level 5/6, rather than simplified arrangements when they have been playing for only a short time. My teacher has told me several times exactly what you have expressed above. I appreciate the reenforcement. Although many of the pieces I have worked through are arrangements and not as pleasing to the ear or as satisfying as the original, I know that the work being done is for for a reason and not to build repertoire. Hopefully, the long term results will payoff. Thanks again. thumb

Keep a song in your heart!

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!
#1124040 08/02/04 03:16 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Great post, Roxanne. I too need to do more technical exercises. I fit a lot of what you described. I need to apply my student abilities to piano in the same way I did to finishing my college degree as an adult!

#1124041 08/02/04 03:26 PM
Originally posted by teachum:
My teacher said it would be great if I could take a theory class, but I can't do that because they only hold them during the school-year at 8:00 a.m.and I am a teacher.
Funny.. I'll be starting as a music major this fall and the theory classes are offered at the same time. I wonder if this is to punish us for not doing "real" majors. laugh

"His name is John Brown!" - the DH.
#1124042 08/02/04 06:04 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Yeah - too bad I was convinced many years ago that Music wasn't a real major that would take me anywhere. Not good enough to be a pro in anything and who would want to "just teach". Ironically, here I am all these years later "just teaching." Not music, however. Oh well - at least I still have music in my life!

#1124043 08/02/04 06:07 PM
apple* Offline OP
OP Offline
(I assure you teachum) I have put in zillions of practice hours. That's what I do if I can.

#1124044 08/03/04 09:28 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't do techical exercises. I asked my current teacher at my first lesson with her if i needed to, and she said my technique was fine.

In terms of practice, I do pretty much what Ryan posted. Lots of slow practice, small sections, hands seperate, put the two hands together, put the sections together, lots of repitition. Sometimes I memorize as I go along, sometimes I don't - depends on the piece. I practice with a metronome about 1% of the time.

Once the piece is learned, I finish up memorizing it, work out any rough spots by practicing in rhythms, or hs, or whatever works.

#1124045 08/03/04 11:17 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Had to e-mail Ryan's response to Apple to my teacher. He will definitely appreciate it. He pounds on this exact stuff on a regular basis. Every time I am having a problem with a difficult part in a piece he gives me, "THAT LOOK" and the conversation is pretty much over. Slow practice, counting until it's CLEAN. It works every time. Why do I fight it? confused

Keep a song in your heart!

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!
#1124046 08/03/04 12:27 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I hope I'm not duplicating what others have said too much, but I think I'm falling in love with my metronome!

When I first began playing, I considered the metronome an annoying nuisance -- it forced me to play things slowly even if I could be flashy and play them fast.

Lately, though, I've been using the metronome for some very effective polishing of pieces. I set it for a somewhat slow speed (say, 88 for eighth notes for my current piece, which is still under performance tempo). Then I start the piece. Each place I have a bobble means I stop, crank the metronome way down (say, 50) and play the problem spot at 50. When I get it, I go to 52, then 54, and so on, back to 88. Then I keep going and attack the next problem spot.

A good hunk of a practice session can be spent on one phrase, but I will knock it out eventually. I like not having to keep guess whether I've mastered a trouble spot.

#1124047 08/03/04 12:41 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Cindy, what you are describing is exactly what my piano teacher recommends. I rarely use my metronome, which is bad. I broke it out for my son the other day and it worked wonders on his timing.
As far as practice techniques, I warm up with scales, arpeggios, and some Hanon like drills. Then I practice repetoire and finish with sightreading.
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
#1124048 08/03/04 01:19 PM
Teachum, that is great advice. I just started taking up the piano again (just bought a new one last week and took my first lesson in 20 years yesterday) and I am very psyched. Your recommendation to break practice up into three segments is a great idea. I am anxious to give it a shot tonight.

#1124049 08/03/04 03:26 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Nycebo - I can't take credit for the great idea. I got it from Charles Cooke's book Playing Piano for Pleasure. HE got it from all the great pianists he interviewed over the years. Great ideas should be shared!

Today my teacher limited me to just FOUR measures of a the Bach Prelude in D Major we are working on. The rhythm is so tricky and I have a hard time doing it hands separately because I need one hand to be the metronome and timing agent for the other. GRRRR!!!On the other hand the Chopin Nocturne is coming beautifully.

Apple - persistence is 95% of success! Those zillions of hours pay off. Just wish I hadn't wasted so many the past few years. But I guess you can't really call starting a new career and a whole new life-style a waste. Time to make up for lost time now!

#1124050 08/03/04 06:54 PM
T
T
One thing about practising i learned the hard way when i was young, was to never stop and replay parts when you lost your way!

This is of course when you've learned the piece fairly good and are practising perfecting it, when you try to memorize it and so on.

From when i started at the age of seven until the age of eleven or so, i had always stopped when i didn't remember a part or played something really wrong.
While performing a piece for 400 people (my teacher was a member of a pianoteacher society, and twice a year we held concert with all theese students) i suddenly got lost and couldn't for my life remember a certain part of the piece.
I stopped playing and went back a bit and tried again...

Well, it ended with me leaving the piano without finishing the piece!
We had a long talk about this, my teacher and i, and she then learned that i always stopped and replayed parts i played wrong.

This is the worst thing you can do!!
Make sure to ALWAYS continue playing in theese situation, just remember where you played wrong and then go back and practise that part after you finish.

Stopping like this while practising will become a habit that is very hard to break even when performing.
It took my a long time to really break this habit, but once i did i felt much more secure while performing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission