Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1124521 - 08/30/04 11:02 PM [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Piano World Member's Recording Compilation Project

Volume 1

The idea originated from this thread .

The Piano World Member's Recording Compilation Project (PW-MRCP) aims to create a compilation of recordings by Piano World members. The deliverable of this project will be a set of professionally pressed CD's containing recordings submitted by Piano World members.

(Please see Project Plan Outline for an overview of the Project.)

CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work

OK... so we want to publish a set of CD's. It would be really nice if we can have a few things to go with it:
  • Beautiful CD label.
  • A Booklet containing information about the recordings stored on the CD's.
  • Nice art work to go with the CD booklet.

Each recording submitted by a member will likely include these: Name (real name and/or screen name) of the member, name of composer, title and/or opus number of the piece, optional text description to go with the piece (up to half a page), optional graphics/picture to go with the piece. It would be nice if we can allocate one page of the booklet to each member/submission and layout the information in a consistent format.

Also, to keep cost low, the "booklet" will be converted into a PDF file that we can include with the CD (the idea is that we don't have to pay for hard-copies to be printed upfront, and members can print their own hard-copy using the PDF file).

The above is just an idea. Creating visual art work and putting together a CD booklet are outside my skill set. I will certainly appreciate your input -- or better yet, a volunteer who knows book design, CD label design, cover design and such can step up to the plate and take charge of these aspects of the Project -- that would be great. \:\)

Please post your thoughts/suggestion/comments related to CD Booklet, Cover Art, and Label Art Work here.

#1124522 - 08/31/04 01:53 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...
Axtremus, I have had a bit of experience making artwork and formats for CD covers, inserts, trays and labels as I have done this all for both my CD and my duo's. I would be happy to volunteer my time in making this. I just saw this thread so let me think about the design.

Elena
http://www.pianofourhands.com

#1124523 - 08/31/04 02:59 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Joy designs book covers. Contact her!

penny

#1124524 - 09/01/04 03:30 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
I've also done similar work and I have been a typesetter and desktop publisher. Let me know if I can do anything to help here.

Maybe we should have a design contest?

#1124525 - 09/01/04 05:28 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

my first career was as a graphic designer, mostly posters and books. i still run into my work from 20 years ago sometimes in people's homes!

i'm happy to help with design and typography suggestions. i think a contest is a good idea, the whole community can vote on which design they want.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#1124526 - 09/02/04 08:58 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Yea.. I like the idea of presenting different mockups and then having folks vote. They could be presented w/out reference to who made 'em, if that's even a concern for any.

#1124527 - 09/02/04 12:00 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i think they should definitely be presented anonymously, so that there won't be any hurt feelings among friends. and so that we avoid choosing on the basis of personal feelings rather than design talent.

now in paperback:

#1124528 - 09/02/04 12:21 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

OK, I know for sure I won't be submitting an entry for the design contest... so if you guys want a contest, I will be happy to accept design candidates and post them for a vote using my username. This will achieve the goal of presenting the design candidates anonymously. \:\)

Keep in mind we have only about three months to get a CD booklet and cover out... so let's move quickly. (E.g., Set a deadline for designs to be submitted by, say, October 15th, and leave one week for people to cast votes?)

(And I will be very happy if one of you folks can volunteer to take charge of this booklet/cover design sub-project since I know next to nothing about putting a booklet together or designing cover. Any one? ;\) )

#1124529 - 09/04/04 12:32 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Anonymous PW submission with voting? Can't be more fair.

#1124530 - 09/06/04 10:36 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
lucian Offline

Loc: Belgium
If You feel You need translations in some European languages (does my frase implies that English is not european ),I and some friends would be glad to help.

piano tuner/technician (sort of..... ;\) )

#1124531 - 09/09/04 11:18 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
paulie567 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've "produced," if you want to call it that, a couple CDs of more or less informal recitals of my teacher and her students. I have software that will arrange the tracks, do the MP3->WAV conversion, clean up audio, etc. I also have DTP s/w for doing the CD artwork. For the CD covers I used some pictures of a lake I took in Yosemite; kind of cliche but still looked pretty good. So I'd be willing to contribute any of those tools/skills to the effort...

#1124532 - 09/09/04 11:30 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

lucian, paulie567,

THANK YOU, I will keep in mind you offers to help.

#1124533 - 09/21/04 08:04 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Diarmuid2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Jodi is a superb artist. I'd really love to see one of her works on the cover.

#1124534 - 09/21/04 10:46 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Diarmuid's comment is certainly correct, as is Ax's concern about the short lead-time.

Might a possible solution be to photo-shop Frank's face onto one of Jodi's existing horse portraits? :rolleyes:

( As far as I know, Jodi always paints from the "front", so Frank wouldn't need to worry about possible "political statements". ) \:\)

Just a thought,
Bob

#1124535 - 09/23/04 01:01 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Is everyone aware we have a design contest running for the CD cover/backcover and booklet? As Axtremus writes above, the deadline for submitting deisgn concepts is October 15. He will then post the submissions he receives and everyone will get a chance to vote on the design they like.

#1124536 - 09/23/04 03:47 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Bernard, for bumping this up for attention -- I was beginning to think that no one was really interested in having a contest!

Please send your CD cover art and booklet design concepts to me by October 15 -- I'll post all submissions and allow one week for the voting to take place. Thanks. \:\)

Just in case you haven't read the posts above -- it was suggested that we hold a design contest. Please read the 4th to 8th posts of this thread.

#1124537 - 10/10/04 06:21 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

* bump*

FIVE days to go...

Please send your CD cover art and booklet design concepts to me by October 15 -- I'll post all submissions and allow one week for the voting to take place.

So far, I've got ONE entry. If no one else submit anything between now and Oct. 15, the one entry I've got will win by default and we can skip the voting. ;\)

#1124538 - 10/10/04 02:10 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I'm not much of an artist, but I am developing algorithmic art programmes which are showing signs of producing an infinite variety of interesting pictures. If their products are suitable, feel free to use them. I attached them to an email to Frank.

That's the only way I could contribute to this part of the project.

#1124539 - 10/15/04 02:33 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

OK... it's October 15. I'll post whatever submissions for cover art/booklet designs I've received by mid-night tonight (EST).

#1124540 - 10/16/04 08:45 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

OK, it's now Oct. 16 - and aside from Ted's algorithmic art generation software, I have received only one entry for booklet/CD cover art design concept, so I guess that one won by default.

Here it is:

Front:

Back:

And the winner is ... Bernard[/b] !

Congratulations![/b]

#1124541 - 10/16/04 10:30 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] CD Booklet, Cover Art, Label Art Work
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

hey, great design!!! congrats, bernard! very clever.

now in paperback:

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (Atrys, 36251, accordeur, ando, 49 invisible), 1614 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153530 Topics
2249951 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
13 minutes 15 seconds ago
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
Today at 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
Today at 12:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission