Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1124866 - 08/30/04 10:20 PM [PW-MRCP] Legal/Copyright Issues
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Piano World Member's Recording Compilation Project

Volume 1

The idea originated from this thread .

The Piano World Member's Recording Compilation Project (PW-MRCP) aims to create a compilation of recordings by Piano World members. The deliverable of this project will be a set of professionally pressed CD's containing recordings submitted by Piano World members.

(Please see Project Plan Outline for an overview of the Project.)

Legal/Copyright Issues

This thread is setup to address the legal and copyright issues related to the Project.

There are two issues that need to be addressed:
  1. A "Release Form" that members who submit recordings need to sign to allow their recordings to be included in the Compilation CD's. I can provide a draft that I used for a similar project in the past. But I can also use some help.[/b] If a lawyer-member can help take a look at it (pro-bono) to ensure fairness to members and adequate protection for Piano World, so much the better. Please contact me if you can help. I am thinking that, bascially, the "Release Form" should be simple, should acknowledge that the member who made the submission retain all rights to the material he/she submitted, and states that the member allows the submitted material to be used royalty-free, once, for the Project.
  2. Copyright concerns -- while most classical published more than 75 years ago are in the public domain, more modern works may still be protected by copyrights and may not be suitable for inclusion in the Compilation. This thread is setup so that PW members can query and discuss such copyright issues.

I can point to http://www.ascap.com/ as a resource. But I know little else beyond that. People who know more please chime in.

#1124867 - 08/30/04 10:27 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] Legal/Copyright Issues
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Note: The "Release Form" will need to contain your real name and signature because it is a piece of legal document. However, that does not mean your real name will be made public if you submit a recording. Unless you want your real name to appear in the CD or the booklet, I see no reason why we cannot simply list your Piano World screen-name and not disclose your real name.

#1124868 - 09/29/04 08:30 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] Legal/Copyright Issues
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

http://logosfoundation.org/copyleft/public_domain_composers.html

Aftrer googling around a bit, I believe music is copywright protected for 70 years after the compsers death, not 70 years after the work is published.

I looked up Maurice Ravel in the ASCAP link that Axtremus provided.
His work is still under protection.
So is the work of Rachmaninoff, Bartok, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, and Shoenberg. \:\(

#1124869 - 10/04/04 01:16 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] Legal/Copyright Issues
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
While I am always careful to respect other musicians' rights to their works I must admit to being very blase about my own. I have hundreds of original scores and recordings which I have always dished out to anyone who wanted them. I earn my living through other means, and I consider it highly unlikely anything of mine is going to set the world on fire.

What on earth constitutes proof of originality anyway ? A published score ? An old handwritten score signed by me with a little "c" in a circle on it ? A recording ? Somebody else's statement that I wrote something back in goodness knows when ?

I remember once asking my solicitor in passing about these things and his answer was so complicated and nebulous that unless somebody brazenly made a hell of a lot of money out of something of mine I'd be better to forget it all and share my music, which is more or less what I have done.

#1124870 - 10/04/04 02:54 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] Legal/Copyright Issues
cziffra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kenny:
http://logosfoundation.org/copyleft/public_domain_composers.html
I looked up Maurice Ravel in the ASCAP link that Axtremus provided. His work is still under protection. So is the work of Rachmaninoff, Bartok, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, and Shoenberg. \:\( [/b]
Not necessarily. Copyright terms aren't consistent. The current copyright terms only apply to works dating back so far. I can't remember the exact date, but I want to say it is in the seventies. Earlier works could be public domain. I'm pretty sure most, if not all, music by Rachmaninoff and Ravel is public domain. Various works by the other composers are definitely public domain. Anything written before 1922 is public domain and those composers certainly had works written during that time.

Woah! I just checked out that site before I submitted my post. The site is totally wrong about most of those composers. I think Mahler died in 1911, which means everything he wrote predates the 1922 cutoff point.

I should mention that I'm not a lawyer.

#1124871 - 10/04/04 03:01 PM Re: [PW-MRCP] Legal/Copyright Issues
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Hmm, I was thinking about submitting Gershwins "Rhapsody in blue" with my school orchestra, but I guess that if the works of Ravel, Schoenberg etc are protected, then so are Gershwins \:\(

#1124872 - 10/07/04 12:12 AM Re: [PW-MRCP] Legal/Copyright Issues
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Some one sent a private message asking whether his copyrights will be protected if he submits a recording of his original composition. The answer is YES[/b].

When you submit a recording, you give Piano World ONLY a one-time, royalty-free right to include that recording (just the recording, not the composition) in the Piano World CD compilation.

Some one else asked about whether he can include the score of his original composition (say, as a PDF file). The answer is also YES[/b]. You will then be giving Piano World ONLY a one-time, royalty-free right to include that PDF file (just the file, not the composition) in the Piano World CD compilation.

So, yeah, your rights are protected. \:\)

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
09/17/14 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
09/17/14 09:04 PM
Who's Online
99 registered (3times2, Abby Pianoman, Al LaPorte, AliAlkhiro, alexbergauer, 28 invisible), 1060 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157598 Topics
2314907 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission