2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1125504 08/04/04 08:54 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Del,

I suspect what you call "compression set" is what wood technologists call "stress related deformation" (SRD). I have suspected this (SRD) to have something to do with tone deterioration in old pianos from stressful climates, and of course it hurts pianos in many mechanical ways as well.

This is the first I have read the same SRD might occur in new sound boards. It's an interesting subject and it would be great if someone really gets a handle on it and can get the rest of the industry acting on the knowledge.

What is the "design feature" you are writing about that is overstressing sounbdboards?

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
#1125505 08/04/04 12:56 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Rick Clark:
Del,

I suspect what you call "compression set" is what wood technologists call "stress related deformation" (SRD). I have suspected this (SRD) to have something to do with tone deterioration in old pianos from stressful climates, and of course it hurts pianos in many mechanical ways as well.

This is the first I have read the same SRD might occur in new sound boards. It's an interesting subject and it would be great if someone really gets a handle on it and can get the rest of the industry acting on the knowledge.

What is the "design feature" you are writing about that is overstressing sounbdboards?

Regards,

Rick Clark
Wood technologists call compression set, well, compression set. It is the result of stress related deformation. This latter phase can also be applied to tension deformation. This is the term used primarily by R. Bruce Hoadley in his book, Understanding Wood.

The USDA Forest Service’s Wood Handbook deals more with the concept of ‘creep.’ When a stress is applied to wood it deforms elastically. In the case of the compression-crowned soundboard panel it creates its own load as it expands by taking on moisture after being ribbed. If this load is maintained (as it is in the compression-crowned soundboard panel) additional time-dependent deformation occurs. This is called creep. It occurs even at very low stresses, particularly when those stresses are perpendicular-to-grain compressive stresses.

If a constant deformation is imposed and maintained on the wood member (in this case, the soundboard panel) the initial stress relaxes at a decreasing rate to about 60% to 70% of its original value within a few months. This is called ‘stress-relaxation,’ or compression set. This stress relaxation continues until some equilibrium is reached and there is no longer enough compression stress to matter. Obviously, if the soundboard system was relying on this compression to form and maintain crown there is going to be a problem.

In general, wood can sustain perpendicular-to-grain compression levels up to about 1% without instantaneous wood fiber failure. Above this and the wood fibers begin to deform quickly and often catastrophically. The typical compressive stress levels within a compression-crown soundboard panel can start as high as 1.5% to 2.0%. This level of compression drops rather rapidly as compression stress takes its toll. Along with it goes some of the crown that was initially built into the system. The rate at which the compression level drops is dependent on a number of factors, including:
— The strength characteristics of the specific wood samples.
— The specific amount of initial compression.
— The range of temperature and, more importantly, humidity the wood sample is exposed to.
— The peak level of compression realized during the highest humidity peaks.

Obviously, there are a number of variables and a system has evolved which works reasonably well most of the time. I suspect, however, it has worked some better in the past as we chewed our way through those wonderful old Sitka spruce giants that were able to grow to enormous heights and impressive ages within the protected confines of the old-growth temperate rain forests. Most of which are now history. Such wood is becoming increasingly rare and we are now working on what is left. And what is left would have been rejected out of hand even as recently as half a century back. Times change.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
#1125506 08/05/04 12:35 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In general, wood can sustain perpendicular-to-grain compression levels up to about 1% without instantaneous wood fiber failure. Above this and the wood fibers begin to deform quickly and often catastrophically. The typical compressive stress levels within a compression-crown soundboard panel can start as high as 1.5% to 2.0%.
If a soundboard is 1 meter wide, 1% compression would be squashing from side to side until it is 1 cm. narrower. That's quite a bit. If that's the difference in width from the top of the soundboard to the bottom, that would make quite a curve in it. How do you figure that much stress?

Semipro Tech
#1125507 08/05/04 09:26 AM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by BDB:
In general, wood can sustain perpendicular-to-grain compression levels up to about 1% without instantaneous wood fiber failure. Above this and the wood fibers begin to deform quickly and often catastrophically. The typical compressive stress levels within a compression-crown soundboard panel can start as high as 1.5% to 2.0%.
If a soundboard is 1 meter wide, 1% compression would be squashing from side to side until it is 1 cm. narrower. That's quite a bit. If that's the difference in width from the top of the soundboard to the bottom, that would make quite a curve in it. How do you figure that much stress?
But not exceptional. I once took an unribbed Baldwin 743/5 (the designation for the Hamilton back assembly) soundboard panel and drew a line across it diagonally (perpendicular to grain), dried it down to 4.0% MC (as weighed and compared to an oven-dry sample), placed two marks on it exactly 60” apart and left it to sit in the Trumann, Arkansas plant warehouse for 48 hours (during August). It took about that long for the marks to be just shy of 61.2” apart. That’s an expansion of about 2%. Just about what the books predict.

Putting the same panel back in the conditioning room soon brought it back to 4% MC at which point it was taken to the rib press and immediately ribbed (with flat ribs). Once the glue was dry it was taken back to the warehouse and allowed to reach equilibrium. I don’t recall the exact distance between the two marks but it was something like 60.2” and the assembly was highly crowned. This soundboard assembly was allowed to sit, undisturbed, in that same warehouse for a year. At the end of this year the crown was down to about three-quarters of the original amount (with similar temperature and humidity readings in the warehouse). Even without being glued to a back assembly and held down by any string bearing the soundboard panels internal compression was dissipating.

While this was not the most scientific of tests it was still a graphic illustration of the process and what happens to the wood as a consequence.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

#1125508 08/05/04 09:43 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
However, the stress in a soundboard that wants to be 61.2" wide when it is being held at 60" doesn't depend on how the soundboard is crowned. That is a result of gluing ribs across its grain, no matter how the soundboard is formed. It is how compression ridges get formed.

Semipro Tech
#1125509 08/05/04 11:56 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by BDB:
However, the stress in a soundboard that wants to be 61.2" wide when it is being held at 60" doesn't depend on how the soundboard is crowned. That is a result of gluing ribs across its grain, no matter how the soundboard is formed. It is how compression ridges get formed.
I'm not sure I understand your point here. The only reason for taking a soundboard panel down to 4.0% MC at ribbing is so that it will subsequently form the crown that results from the resultant stress interface between the (now-compressed) soundboard panel and the ribs. A high level of internal compression is necessary both to form and maintain this crown and that is (usually) how it is developed. That is how the design works and that is why they are called 'compression-crowned' soundboards.

If the soundboard system crown is formed by machining the requisite curve into the rib it is not necessary to reduce the panel’s MC to 4.0%. The system is designed such that there will be little or no internal compression during normal climatic conditions. In general, internal compression is considered to be counterproductive and the system is designed to reduce it as much as possible. We control the MC of our both our soundboard panels and our ribs to between 6.5% and 7% MC as the ribs are glued on. This figure is fairly typical for most rib-crowned soundboard designs.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

#1125510 08/06/04 08:46 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Del,

I appreciate your writings on this. You know from past threads I have a skeptical thought process so I may probe your assertions or bring up a counterpoint sometimes, but please don't mistake that for criticism. Mostly I'm just trying to get a grasp on these things myself.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician
#1125511 05/04/06 04:59 PM
S
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
S
I found this two year old thread in the archives and I thought I would "light it up". There is a lot of good information in the archives.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission