2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1125534 03/26/04 03:33 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by jdsher:
Thanks Del... The only thing I'm confused about is how is it possible to voice a high tension scaled piano if the desire is to have a "warmer" sound? In other words, if someone has a nice bright sounding Yamaha, can they really expect a technician to voice a mellower sound out of it. I apologize if this should be in the Piano technicians section.
If this is the only thing you’re confused about…my hat is off!

No. It is not possible to voice a piano with a high-tension scale to have the 'same' voice as a piano having a low-tension scale. Nor is it possible to achieve this result by simply replacing the hammers, for example installing Steinway hammers on a Yamaha to make it sound like a Steinway. The scale (in combination with the soundboard assembly) is what it is.

It is, however, possible to voice each of these within some reasonable range of brightness and/or softness.

But this question brings up one of my standard points about piano buying. If you have a developed or developing taste in piano sound you should spend enough time with each instrument you are considering to be sure the voice it delivers falls within the range that excites you. You may be certain about a piano within minutes or it may take several hours, but you should be sure before you buy and it is delivered to your home. Do not believe any dealer who tells you this Yamaha can be voiced to sound just like a Steinway once it is paid for and delivered. Or for that, the dealer who tells you a Steinway can be voiced to sound just like a Yamaha. Neither attempt will be successful. The Yamaha is what it is and the Steinway is what it is. Now, the Yamaha can be voiced to sound a bit warmer than the norm just like the Steinway can be voiced to sound a bit brighter than its norm but each is built to a different design philosophy and never the twain shall meet.

During the 1970s and early 1980s I received many calls from folks owning relatively new Yamaha pianos with the common request to “make my piano sound like a Steinway.” More than a few of them did not take kindly to the news that it couldn’t be done. Seems their dealer had assured them it would be no problem. Just buy the piano, play it for a few months and call in the piano tuner. Quite a few of these folks were of the impression they were purchasing a piano that was essentially a copy of the Steinway but at half the price. And who was I to tell them otherwise?

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
#1125535 03/26/04 04:11 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jodi:

laugh Jodi (queen of the naked mangos :p )

[/QB]
Jodi, I too eat mangos while naked. They are soooooo messy! smile

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
#1125536 03/26/04 04:52 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Maybe someone can answer something that has been plaguing me since my last visit to one of my local piano dealers. I played a Shigeru Kawai 5'10"(sk1?)about a month ago at an authorized Kawai dealer and just loved it. I played a repossesed one last week at a different dealer with the same size and found the sound to be lacking. At first I thought maybe it was the room acoustics, but the Estonia 190 sitting 10ft. away sounded great. Is this a situation where the prep was better at the authorized dealer, or could there be this much variation from one piano to the next?

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
#1125537 03/26/04 05:01 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
jdsher,

I ran into the same thing with two Boston 5' 10" pianos. The new one sounded okay but the one which was a few years old next to it sounded dreadful, with very short sustain. The dealer's tech was very highly regarded; he is my tech as well. I concluded that it wasn't prep, but rather that the piano deteriorated in a few years.

#1125538 03/26/04 07:48 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There are formula for both.
I suspect if weight were used instead of diameter, the formula would be about the same. In any case, I'm not interested in winding my own strings, so it's academic for me. I'm just interested in doing the best with what I have to work with. Mostly I'm concerned with not having big leaps in tension. There's usually a big drop in tension at the break, which I try to minimize.

Semipro Tech
#1125539 03/27/04 02:50 AM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by BDB:
There are formula for both.
I suspect if weight were used instead of diameter, the formula would be about the same. In any case, I'm not interested in winding my own strings, so it's academic for me. I'm just interested in doing the best with what I have to work with. Mostly I'm concerned with not having big leaps in tension. There's usually a big drop in tension at the break, which I try to minimize.
They work with diameters.

And it's not necessary to wrap your own strings to take advantage of them. Most, if not all, string makers will now work to specified numbers. That is, you supply the numbers and they will wrap the strings. If you supply desired core wire diameters and desired overall diameters they will work out the appropriate wrap wire to give you a string very close to that diameter. Or you can do as we do and specify both the core diameter and the diameter of the wrap wire (or wires in the case of a double-wrapped string) and they will wrap the strings using those specific wires. In this case, of course, we must accept full responsibility for the overall diameter of the string so we best be right.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

#1125540 03/27/04 03:27 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
Interestingly enough, a little searching on the Internet turned up a paper on the design of the scale for a medium-sized Estonia grand: PDF file on scale design.

Semipro Tech
#1125541 03/27/04 12:12 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oooh, good one BDB.

The piano is my drug of choice.
Why are you reading this? Go play the piano! Why am I writing this? ARGGG!
#1125542 03/27/04 03:10 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Interestingly enough, a little searching on the Internet turned up a paper on the design of the scale for a medium-sized Estonia grand: PDF file on scale design.
This article has been around for a while. Interesting, but based on a number of assumptions and conclusions of dubious validity and value. The scale developed in this article would certainly never appear in any piano I had anything to do with. Good math, though.

Another source of scaling information is “The Calculating Technician” which was published by (and might still be available from) the Piano Technicians Guild.

And, of course, the various formulas worked out by Al Sanderson are among the best ever developed for anyone interested in learning about or evaluating piano strings scales. They are (relatively) simple and accurate.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

#1125543 03/27/04 05:47 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
So what are the characteristics of the Estonia 190 that you don't like, Del?

Semipro Tech
#1125544 03/27/04 06:41 PM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by KlavierBauer:
jdsher:
I think you heard what happens when technical terms make it into a sales person's head.

There are all sorts of manufacturers of varying quality levels designing scales differently, some with higher, and some with lower tension.

Del just mentioned a Sohmer with a very high tension scale, but it wasn't a Steinway.

First it's important to understand why differnet tensions are needed/desired in relation to scale design.
I don't even want to touch on it with Del lurking around here. smile He certainly can explain the relationships between string tension, diameter, length, and so on better than I can.
This would be fascinating info to know KlavierBauer (scale designs vs. tension). Is this info available anywhere on the 'net? Do higher tension scales have a larger dynamic range by any chance?

Thanks

Regards,

Grotriman
#1125545 03/27/04 06:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Del, where does downbearing fit in? I've heard before that downbearing can actually be much more important a measure than scale tension. Is this true? What is an optimal amount of downbearing pressure, and what effects can it have if off?

#1125546 03/27/04 07:07 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would guess that dynamic range is limited by

A) How quietly a piano let's you play
B) How hard you can hit the strings.

Both depend on the design of the action. I wouldn't guess that scale has much to do with it, except for perceptive dynamic range. A piano that excites more higher harmonics on loud than on soft will have a higher perception of dynamic range I would guess.

All pianos give off more harmonics on louder, but to differing degrees.

Originally posted by Grotriman:
Originally posted by KlavierBauer:
[b] jdsher:
I think you heard what happens when technical terms make it into a sales person's head.

There are all sorts of manufacturers of varying quality levels designing scales differently, some with higher, and some with lower tension.

Del just mentioned a Sohmer with a very high tension scale, but it wasn't a Steinway.

First it's important to understand why differnet tensions are needed/desired in relation to scale design.
I don't even want to touch on it with Del lurking around here. smile He certainly can explain the relationships between string tension, diameter, length, and so on better than I can.
This would be fascinating info to know KlavierBauer (scale designs vs. tension). Is this info available anywhere on the 'net? Do higher tension scales have a larger dynamic range by any chance?

Thanks [/b]

#1125547 03/28/04 02:16 AM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
So what are the characteristics of the Estonia 190 that you don't like, Del?
It's not that I don't like the piano — I do. It's just that it could easily be some better. I find it a bit weak. Especially in the high treble and the mid to lower tenor. Though this is a reasonably long scale — at least down until it starts the tenor bridge hook — it is a very low tension scale. Now I generally like lower tension scaling but this one, I think, is a bit too low. And that hook down at the lower end of the tenor bridge both loads up the diameters and drops tensions even further. The bass is a bit erratic and inharmonicity is all over the place making the poor tuner fight to get some semblance of clean octaves and intervals.

Sometimes good is the enemy of better.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

#1125548 03/28/04 02:25 AM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
[/qb][/QUOTE]This would be fascinating info to know KlavierBauer (scale designs vs. tension). Is this info available anywhere on the 'net? Do higher tension scales have a larger dynamic range by any chance?

Thanks [/QB][/QUOTE]

It depends on what you mean by "dynamic range." In very broad and general terms higher tension scales are capable of moderately greater absolute power. However, this comes at the expense of tonal dynamics. That is, the voice characteristic is more linear from pianissimo to forte — more of the acoustic power is concentrated in the higher harmonics.

The lower tension scales may not have quite as much absolute power potential but their voice range is generally greater and there is more tone quality change between pianissimo and forte. Often, when there is no other piano nearby for direct comparison this gives the illusion of greater power.

Obviously, many other design and structural characteristics also affect the voice mix.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

#1125549 03/28/04 02:32 AM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Luke's Dad:
Del, where does downbearing fit in? I've heard before that downbearing can actually be much more important a measure than scale tension. Is this true? What is an optimal amount of downbearing pressure, and what effects can it have if off?
It's not just the string bearing. The ideal amount of string bearing is a function of the overall string tensions, the backscale length and the soundboard assembly crown and stiffness characteristic.

Designs with longer backscale lengths can handle a bit more bearing. As can scales with lower tensions. Soundboards with a lot of crown but low stiffness can handle quite a lot of string bearing. Stiffer soundboards need less.

It’s all relative.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

#1125550 03/28/04 02:49 AM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Dan M:
I would guess that dynamic range is limited by

A) How quietly a piano let's you play
B) How hard you can hit the strings.

Both depend on the design of the action. I wouldn't guess that scale has much to do with it, except for perceptive dynamic range. A piano that excites more higher harmonics on loud than on soft will have a higher perception of dynamic range I would guess.

All pianos give off more harmonics on louder, but to differing degrees.

The maximum power potential of any piano is limited by action saturation — that is, the point at which hitting the key harder no longer any increase in hammer velocity. This being the case our perception of any given piano's relative loudness is determined by its dynamic range, or the difference between how softly it can be played and how loud it is at action saturation.

Action saturation is a function of how stiff the various levers are and how compliant the various felts and leathers are. In any given action this is a fixed point and can only be changed with some difficulty (and expense). It is relatively unaffected by action regulation.

As you say, how softly the piano can be played is a function of action design and (mostly) its regulation.

Our perception of both extremes is shaped by the characteristic voice of the piano and by our perception of piano sound. Even though the sound pressure level meter tells us otherwise, our ears tell us the piano with the warmer, more fundamental sound can be played more quietly — more softly — than the harder, brighter piano. As well, even though in most cases the SPL meter tells us the absolute power levels are about the same, our ears tell us the harder, brighter piano is also the louder, more powerful piano.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

#1125551 03/28/04 04:25 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
As well, even though in most cases the SPL meter tells us the absolute power levels are about the same, our ears tell us the harder, brighter piano is also the louder, more powerful piano.
My perception is that this is true close to the piano, especially where the pianist sits, but that it is less of an effect farther away. It's probably because the higher harmonics don't travel as well.

Semipro Tech
#1125552 03/28/04 10:21 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What do you mean by the higher harmonics don't travel as well? They should attenuate just as much or as little as the fundamental.

I would guess that the piano, having a larger sound source (top reflected and bottom reflected soundboard) would sound more different farther away, then say a trumpet, which acts more like a point source.

As well, even though in most cases the SPL meter tells us the absolute power levels are about the same, our ears tell us the harder, brighter piano is also the louder, more powerful piano.
My perception is that this is true close to the piano, especially where the pianist sits, but that it is less of an effect farther away. It's probably because the higher harmonics don't travel as well.

#1125553 03/28/04 11:12 AM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Dan M:

I would guess that the piano, having a larger sound source (top reflected and bottom reflected soundboard) would sound more different farther away, then say a trumpet, which acts more like a point source.

Hmmm...now that's an interesting thought. I've been working on generally reducing the excess size of the piano soundboard for efficiency and resonance control reasons -- never thought of it in terms of projection.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission