Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1125663 - 03/29/04 11:27 AM What makes the tone of a piano?
enescu Offline

How much is it the strings and the hammers, the scale design, the materials?
Thanks.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1125664 - 03/29/04 12:16 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
If you don't have strings, you don't have any tone!

#1125665 - 03/29/04 12:48 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
fuoco Offline

The player. \:D

#1125666 - 03/29/04 01:21 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
RealPlayer Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
They're all interrelated, of course, but I'd guess the biggest influence comes from the scale design (including strike point), followed by hammers, and then the rest...

Just my non-technical POV...

www.josephkubera.com

#1125667 - 03/29/04 02:02 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
enescu Offline

BDB, are you suggesting that if you change the set of strings with one built to slightly different specs, the tone will change drastically?
I'm just learning...
Fuoco, from what I have read, players don't seem to be able to change the tone much more beyond a relative change that happens with change in sound volume.
Thanks.

#1125668 - 03/29/04 02:03 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
cht Offline

Loc: Coeur d'Alene, ID
enescu,

In answer to your question, everyting determines the tone of the piano, and no one component is more important than the other. A world class piano won't sound right with hard hammers. New strings won't sound right with a lousy scale design or poor bridge construction. It all works as one.

#1125669 - 03/29/04 03:41 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
Steve R Offline

Loc: El Cajon, California
 Quote:
Originally posted by enescu:
Thanks. [/b]
Design is everything. That includes the selection of string types and sizes and hammer weight. The factor I see mentioned most frequently by techs as affecting tone is hammer strike points.

All of these factors are part of a piano's design. Tweaking hammers or changing the brand of string may change the tone somewhat but they won't change the fundamental design limitations of an instrument.

#1125670 - 03/29/04 08:08 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
Which part of the cake is it that makes it taste good - the flour, the eggs, the butter, or the sugar?

#1125671 - 03/29/04 09:26 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
Toddler2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hillsborough, NC
Duh Larry,
It's the icing. Every kid under the age of 10 knows that one.
;\)

#1125672 - 03/30/04 01:00 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
 Quote:
Thanks. [/b]
Any realistic answer to this question probably depends on your perspective.

As a piano tuner/technician about the only tools I have to work with are the hammers and the action. So the pianoís voice depends on the physical characteristics of the hammers and my ability to voice them to the clients pleasure. So the tone, or voice, of the piano is a function of the piano hammer. Of course, the hammer must be chosen to compliment the existing scaling of the piano ó the string scale, the soundboard assembly, the rim, etc. So my hammer options for any given piano are some limited.

As a piano rebuilder/remanufacturer I have a few more options open to me. I can change the string scale somewhat, I can change the design and structure of the soundboard assembly. And to a limited extent I can change the plate. So now the voice of the piano is dependent on the string scale and the soundboard and on my ability to manipulate their characteristics within some very fixed parameters and I can tailor the sound of the piano a bit more. So, now the voice of the piano is determined by the string scale, the soundboard and the hammers. More options.

Still, Iím not going to be able to really change the string lengths all that much. And, while I can change the soundboard ribbing and shape, there is not much I can do with things like bridge placement or backscales, etc. As well, even though I still have a variety of hammers at my disposal they are going to be chosen with an eye toward the fixed-length scaling and the overall design elements of the piano that are beyond my ability to control. So my overall options are still limited.

Now, as a designer I (sometimes) have complete freedom to find my own way among a veritable maze of options. If you tell me you want a bright, powerful sound from a 7í piano I know immediately where to begin. Iíll start by drawing a medium to long string scale and load it heavily. Or, if you tell me you want a 5í 2Ē piano appropriate for use by an advanced player with limited space Iíll start by drawing a mid-length scale with relatively low tensions. In both cases Iíll follow up by matching an appropriate soundboard assembly to the chosen scale. Then Iíll develop a suitable rim assembly and plate. Finally Iíll specify appropriate hammers.

So, while all of the working elements of the piano are interdependent, it all starts with the string scale. If that is not suitable for the type of sound you want from the piano there are a limited number of things that can be done. (Iíve written on the difference among various string scale choices in other posts.)

And this is true whether you are an end user or a manufacture. I was once asked to ďbrighten upĒ the Baldwin L (a 6í 3Ē grand) and ďmake it more powerful.Ē Now, this piano was designed to be a warm and dynamic chamber piano. It very appropriately has a relatively short, low-tension scale. With suitable hammers and nicely voiced it is one of the nicest solo and small ensemble pianos around. The only thing that can be done to make it brighter and more powerful without unacceptably distorting the sound is to make the scale longer. This would have called for a new, or at least significantly redesigned, plate and that was beyond the budget for the project. So, to satisfy the powers that were, we tried simply increasing wire diameters and smoothing out the scale. Needless to say, it didnít work. The sound simply became hard and nasal.

The failure of this project illustrates just how important the string scale is in determining the overall performance of the piano. Once the characteristic of the string scale is chosen, the rest of the design is developed to suit. But that is where it starts.

Del
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1125673 - 03/30/04 04:07 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
enescu Offline

Del, thank you for taking the time to write this detailed answer.
On a given scale can one change the tone to a more "nazal" or the opposite, "throaty" voice just by working on hammers?

#1125674 - 03/30/04 04:49 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Del, thank you for taking the time to write this detailed answer.
On a given scale can one change the tone to a more "nazal" or the opposite, "throaty" voice just by working on hammers? [/b]
Only within the (sometimes narrow) limits prescribed by the scaling, the soundboard design and construction, the rim or back structure, etc., of the piano in question.

To attempt to go beyond those limits will result in ruined hammers and an even worse sound.

This question often comes up when folks find themselves in possession of a piano that does not suit their taste. (Whether this is because their taste has changed over time or because the purchased the wrong piano is irrelevant to the discussion. It happens.) A good tuner/technician can work wonders in matching a good set of hammers to a given piano and finding its inherent voice. He or she can also usually voice up or down from this point with some success. But no one can radically alter that basic voice without endangering the overall performance of the piano.

Iíve discussed before the problems involved when someone asks to have their Yamaha voiced to sound like a Steinway. Or, as also happens, to have their Steinway voiced to sound more like a Yamaha. It canít be done. The scaling and construction details of the two pianos are just too dissimilar.

The idea is to purchase the piano that has the voice you want first. If you find yourself in possession of a piano whose voice you no longer like check with a good tuner/technician to see if something has gone wrong that can be fixed. If not, itís time to start looking for another piano.

Del

Del

#1125675 - 03/30/04 05:27 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
enescu Offline

Del, thanks again.
You are right. My piano has broken in somewhat and the tone is not as pleasant as before. At low level it's the sweetest and clearest, I wouldn't change it, but at loud levels it becomes somewhat nasal and thin. It has a good attack, but soon it feels as if there is not enough sustain in the body of the sound... Maybe there is more contrast between the attack and sustain, now. I'm not sure I describe this correctly.
This did not happen when the piano was new...

#1125676 - 03/30/04 06:09 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
If it sounded the way you like it once, chances are that it could sound that way again. Although the strings change slightly as they stretch out to equilibrium, most of the changes are in the hammers. Until there is no more felt to work with, you can get hammers to sound pretty much they sounded before they wore.

#1125677 - 03/30/04 06:51 PM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Del, thanks again.
You are right. My piano has broken in somewhat and the tone is not as pleasant as before. At low level it's the sweetest and clearest, I wouldn't change it, but at loud levels it becomes somewhat nasal and thin. It has a good attack, but soon it feels as if there is not enough sustain in the body of the sound... Maybe there is more contrast between the attack and sustain, now. I'm not sure I describe this correctly.
This did not happen when the piano was new... [/b]
Well, just like car maintainance is more involved than simply putting gas in it from time to time, piano maintainance is more than tuning it from time to time. Talk to your piano tuner/technician about touch-up voicing and regulating.

ddf

#1125678 - 04/03/04 12:05 AM Re: What makes the tone of a piano?
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by Del:
Now, [the Baldwin L (a 6'3" grand)] was designed to be a warm and dynamic chamber piano. It very appropriately has a relatively short, low-tension scale. With suitable hammers and nicely voiced it is one of the nicest solo and small ensemble pianos around.[/b]
I'll vouch for that. I own a Baldwin L (made in 1967). Among other things, it has new Abel hammers and has been voiced nicely by a very good tech. It has a really great sound; this is one nice piano!

Chris

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, Alex1, ajames, AmateurBob, 38 invisible), 1885 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75516 Members
42 Forums
156163 Topics
2293320 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bored kid at Cosco..
by Norbert
2 minutes 14 seconds ago
Need help and advice please!
by Pover
3 minutes 47 seconds ago
Kawai K200
by Vidsin
Today at 02:46 PM
Medelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 01:52 PM
Correcting Heavy Piano Touchweight in Grand Pianos
by Paul678
Today at 01:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission