2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1125750 08/06/04 01:08 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
It sounds like the 'full perimeter plate' is more of a selling point then a buying point.

Eric Frankson
"Music comes first from my heart, and then goes upstairs to my head where I check it out." - Roberta Flack
#1125751 08/06/04 10:59 PM
This is my first posting to PW and it couldn't have come at a better time. With regards to the tonal and/or any other effects of a full perimeter plate, I recently purchased a Mason & Hamlin "CC-1", and have started restoring the piano.

The piano is 9'4" but has a second, triangle-shaped, iron plate starting just behind the bass dampers. As other members have posted, I also believe the plate should act as a damper between the hitch pins and the soundboard, however, the purpose for this second plate is the opposite. Apparently, the designers at Mason & Hamlin used this second plate to change the piano's overall tone and volume characteristics.

The second plate is still made of the same metal and the piano was built with a tension-resonator.

This is the first piano I had ever seen with two plates and when I saw the original question posted regarding Mason & Hamlins' full perimeter plates, I wondered if anyone knew more about this model of piano?

Thanks for any help.

John

Pianos Wholesale, Tudor & Co.
(626)442-1150
Complete In-house Rebuilder.
New August Forster & Bohemia Pianos, also personally rebuilt instruments of high quality.
#1125752 08/07/04 05:11 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome aboard, John. I'd particularly love to see pictures of before, during and after on this restoration. The CC is one of the greats. thumb

#1125753 08/03/06 08:50 AM
R
R
Hi Del and all,

I've been giving more thought to the idea of heavy plates also, and their implications to overall energy loss. The earlier Bösendorfer 6'2" was a piano that also had a full perimeter plate after the style of the Masons.

Thanks for the link to the early CC Chickgrand. The current CC is a significantly better layout than the old model. That earlier CC rim looks like it would make a perfect rim shape for a new Boston concert grand, its got all the hallmarks of the Boston wide bodied back end, and you'd need a packed lunch to take the trip from the rim to the high end of the bass bridge. I'll bet that crossover was a shocker, as a consequence of the widely differing distance of the crossover bridge-ends from the rim. When I visited Mason and Hamlin after Rochester I saw the new AA. These pianos stylistically might look like their earlier pianos but they also have incorporated some very good contemporary thinking. Gone is the hockey stick treble bridge and the cross over is moved up to D30 from memory. The nice new log style treble scale is a welcome addition to the instrument. This piano is a big scaling improvement over the opposition in that size of instrument - Walter accepted.

During the mid 70's, there was a full-perimeter-plate 6'2" Böse in a Sydney studio called United Sound (before they built the Sydney Entertainment Centre, which was preceded by the demolition of the United Sound building). It was quite a nice instrument in spite of its B27 break. For those of you who might remember the Dudley Moore Trio LP, Song for Suzy, that LP was recorded on the above mentioned 6'2" in Sydney. The LP was quite a good recording with the exception of an annoying flutter which persisted throughout the entire album. Clearly one of their tape machines, for the production process, wasn't exactly in good shape.

Back to plate weights. Ever since I rebuilt an SD-10 Baldwin back in 1988, the plate issue has been hovering around in my head as a possible factor which might aid sustain in a piano.

Something I've been doing, as an anecdotal experiment in recent times, is to place a hand lightly on the plate while striking a thick chord with the other hand. I've found that pianos such as Yamaha, Steinway and the RX Kawai, with their very lightly built plates, tend to be noticeably more active in the plate than heavier plated pianos such as the SD-10 and our own 225 piano. Bösendorfers also have a slightly heavier plate which tends to be a little more inert. Now while I understand what Del is saying about the hi-hysteresis characteristics of grey iron, I can't help thinking that, despite the lossy nature of the metal, a higher mass, higher web thickness plate should lose less energy if it is vibrating a lot less than a relative light flimsy plate. Another piano which would seem to lend support to this idea is the Welmar or Marshall and Rose grand (both made out of the UK Whelpdale Maxwell and Codd factory - now closed). These pianos had quite massive plates and a relatively light rims like a Bösendorfer, yet they were known for their good sustaining qualities. The Welmar plate-belt between the bass and treble bridges was around 1" thick.

Anyhow, its just one more idea thrown into the mix. The jury may be still out on this one but for me, the heavier plate giving better sustain is gaining cred' as I get older.

I realise that soundboard design, ie. mass/stiffness and radiating area will also influence sustain and impedance, but the plates do seem to be contributing to the overall result as well.

Ron O.

ARPT, Australasian Piano Tuners and Technicians Association.
Grand Piano manufacturers.
Sydney, Australia
web: http://overspianos.com.au
#1125754 08/18/06 05:02 PM
I saw an old (~1900) Boesendorfer with a full perimeter plate. A smaller piano, under 2 meters. The reason for the full perimeter plate seemd to be that it lacked any beams underneath. So probably they thought that the plate could stiffen the rim in the absence of beam support.

Calin

The Bechstein piano discussion group: https://groups.yahoo.com/Bechstein
The historical Schweighofer piano site: http://schweighofer.tripod.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission