2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1125768 03/07/05 05:32 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I'm wondering if anyone out there can suggest a simple method for learning to hear beats. I'm having great difficulty with this and know that it takes time. I know that there is a device that can be purchased however I would prefer if I could manage to learn this skill without having to buy the machine.

If there's anyone who can suggest a system for getting a "jump start" on this I would be forever grateful.

I plan to purchase an Electronic Tuner at some time in the future, however I do not want to become too dependent on the ET and would like to enhance my aural skills.

With appreciation

Derek Byrne (oneliner)

Reblitz has excercises in his book on learning to detect beats. Have you tried that method?

S
S
This may have worked only for me, or it may be what everybody does, but I'll put in my two cents anyway. (The following should be considered an amateur opinion.)

The best way to hear beats is to know what note you should be listening for when you try to hear the beats.

If, for example, you are tuning a fifth -- say middle C and the G above middle C -- the "pure" ratio is 3 to 2. So you figure out which note has 3 times the frequency of the bottom note (middle C) and 2 times the frequency of the top note (G above middle C). The desired note is then, of course, the G an octave above.

Listen for this note when you strike your C-G combination. Do not actually strike the G an octave above. If you can hear this high G when you strike the other two notes, you should also be able to hear the beats you are looking for.

Or, suppose you are tuning a major third, such as middle C and the E just above. (I would not recommend tuning by thirds if you are tuning equal temperament, but it works well for meantone.) A pure third is a 5 to 4 ratio, so the note you should be listening for is the E two octaves above the E you are tuning (5 times the middle C, and 4 times the middle E). If you can hear this two-octave E when you strike the middle C and middle E, you should be able to hear the beats as well.

Bill Smythe

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
I have designed a band pass filter that will pin point the beats. The power in this device is that it produces exactly what the trained tuner's ear hears. However, I have stumbled upon this crazy trick that actually creates a band pass filter with your hand.

Cup your hand over your ear while playing an interval. Move the hand in and out, back and forth, slowly, changing the cupped volume of your hand. You will be able to hear all the partials from about A5 to E6 or thereabouts. You can "tune" your hand so the beating coincidental partial is enhanced.

You must know where the coincidental partial is supposed to be beating.

Here is an article I wrote that has some more concrete tricks you can use to make hearing beats easier. http://howtotunepianos.com/2014/04/14/how-to-hear-beats-when-tuning/

The key is not just technique. You must keep practicing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission