Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1126135 - 09/10/03 10:30 AM Re: Tenor break
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest U.S.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Opus31no2:
...couldn't an experienced rebuilder do some "after market" work, and improve things? It IS possible right? I mean you're not giving up are you? What if a rebuilder COULD improve all the tenor break problems for those brands that have them, and make quite a name for him/herself! I know I'd pay whatever it took to make the piano "complete". Can it be done?
[/b]
Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. Some of the "after market" work that has been suggested here is in the realm of voicing and tidying up where inconsistency of build may emphasize the problem break. Rescaling a portion of the string may not even be considered drastic and may minimize the problem to an acceptable extent. If it gets beyond that, into the bridge design or bridge placement though, or into that further realm of the rebuilder's art, to correct a problem, I'd think the place to have gotten drastic would have been during the comparison shopping phase. Most customers do not expect to buy a new piano only to have to call in the rebuilder to correct design problems. They buy the nearest to satisfactory for their budget at the outset and try to avoid design problems. Even if a rebuilder could redesign the piano to correct the problem, there probably will not be sufficient customers willing to make that kind of outlay to permit the rebuilder to "make a name for himself". Someone could probably take an old Kimball spinet and make it sound good with drastic redesign innovation and make a name, too. Is it reasonable to consider financially? Would anyone care? The place to deal with this issue is on the sales floor at the time of purchase. If you have unfortunately bought a piano where the break is just unbearable, even after the reasonable steps that have been suggested here to temper it, you'd be better off trading in the piano and a bit more cash for another make and model without the inherent design problem, rather than get into the unknown cost and outcome of a significant rebuild.

Still curious what make and model we're talking about.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1126136 - 09/10/03 10:31 AM Re: Tenor break
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
 Quote:
Gads! What have I started? Dropped in to see if any new replies, and was flabbergasted to see so many people took this to be a serious issue.

Well, now my question is this...from what I've read, the tenor break problem is due to scaling design, and the manufacturer has most likely tried everything to correct it, and if they can't fix it nobody can. That's what I'm hearing here.

Surely some "custom" work could still be done, either by making custom strings, or repositioning the string, etc., that could make the break acceptable, right? The manufacturer isn't about to do this and in doing so admit there's a design problem, but couldn't an experienced rebuilder do some "after market" work, and improve things? It IS possible right? I mean you're not giving up are you? What if a rebuilder COULD improve all the tenor break problems for those brands that have them, and make quite a name for him/herself! I know I'd pay whatever it took to make the piano "complete". Can it be done?

Thanks again for all the response! [/b]
-------------
Possibly. E-mail me privately with some details and I might be able to give you a better answer.

Del
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1126137 - 09/10/03 11:11 AM Re: Tenor break
Opus31no2 Offline

This reply is for chickgrand.

Yes, I agree that this could all have been avoided before the purchase, but unfortunately, some of us customers still (again unfortunately) trust the dealer, and believe a simple voicing is all that's needed. I've owned approximately 15 different pianos since 1970, used and new grands, and never had an issue that voicing couldn't correct. In the mid 70's I played on a concert grand that was "my" ultimate sound, and this year, that same brand had that sound, save the tenor break which I didn't think was a concern, because due to previous experience, I assumed it could be voiced out.

For those of you intent on buying an expensive grand, learn from this...be careful...be vewy vewy careful that your instrument sounds and plays the way you want AT THE STORE, before accepting delivery, and going through an awkward, frustrating, embarrassing and possibly expensive rectification.

#1126138 - 09/10/03 12:28 PM Re: Tenor break
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest U.S.
 Quote:
This reply is for chickgrand.

Yes, I agree that this could all have been avoided before the purchase, but unfortunately, some of us customers still (again unfortunately) trust the dealer, and believe a simple voicing is all that's needed. I've owned approximately 15 different pianos since 1970, used and new grands, and never had an issue that voicing couldn't correct. In the mid 70's I played on a concert grand that was "my" ultimate sound, and this year, that same brand had that sound, save the tenor break which I didn't think was a concern, because due to previous experience, I assumed it could be voiced out.

For those of you intent on buying an expensive grand, learn from this...be careful...be vewy vewy careful that your instrument sounds and plays the way you want AT THE STORE, before accepting delivery, and going through an awkward, frustrating, embarrassing and possibly expensive rectification. [/b]
Your advice is good advice. I understand the perspective you had going into this purchase. I may perhaps also put too much faith in the possibilities of voicing, also based on my own personal experience. Hopefully the manufacturer and dealer will continue to work with you to find an ultimate solution that will give you an instrument that will make you happy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (A Guy, Atrys, Anticlock, Austin D, 23 invisible), 1260 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155778 Topics
2287332 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Emergency help!
by Parks
07/10/14 11:36 PM
Pain in my lower back, help!!
by rov
07/10/14 10:55 PM
If there were only 2 choices..
by ChopinFan66
07/10/14 08:04 PM
symphonic pianomusic
by dolce sfogato
07/10/14 06:16 PM
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
07/10/14 02:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission