Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
70 registered (ando, angga888, AZNpiano, Anne H, 22 invisible), 1159 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1126201 - 05/08/04 11:37 AM Re: Scale Design - tension
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
 Quote:
Originally posted by Grotriman:
 Quote:
Originally posted by JPM:

Del, please do write that book some day. Undoubtedly, it will be of great interest to all that love pianos and an enduring legacy that will remain useful and relevant for a very long time to come. [/b]
If only so you don't have to spend so much time responding to our requests for more information!

BTW - Where are your seminars given?

Thanks. [/b]
Mostly at various Piano Technicians Guild conferences and conventions. But I have also done a number of one-day events organized by individual PTG chapters. I've also done seminars in Europe, Asia and Australia. (I'm always open to suggestions.)

These are generally promoted primarily to piano technicians but they are always open to anyone (including non-technicians) who hears about them and wants to attend. And who is willing to pay the registration fee which varies depending on the type of event. Registration at the annual PTG convention is several hundred dollars whereas a one-day seminar is generally $50 to $75. (Depending on projected attendance.) Sometimes including lunch.

Del
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Piano & Music Accessories
#1126202 - 05/08/04 11:45 AM Re: Scale Design - tension
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest U.S.
Del,

I understand your point that no one met the challenge of "musical" at 5'3" or under, but would be curious what make or model you think came closest--how close did they come to musically acceptible? What did they do right, and, more interestingly, where did they made their mistake or compromise--or what do you think they should have explored and experimented with to even out their design?

#1126203 - 05/08/04 01:27 PM Re: Scale Design - tension
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chickgrand:
Del,

I understand your point that no one met the challenge of "musical" at 5'3" or under, but would be curious what make or model you think came closest--how close did they come to musically acceptible? What did they do right, and, more interestingly, where did they made their mistake or compromise--or what do you think they should have explored and experimented with to even out their design? [/b]
There are a lot of questions up there. Way more than I have time or space to answer here — besides, that is what the book is all about.

I haven't yet come across any very small grands that I've thought really fit the criteria. Even in so-called high-end piano lines the very small piano has been considered an afterthought. An instrument no real musician would purchase and use. Yet increasingly good pianists are finding it necessary to look for smaller instruments as homes become smaller and other stuff intrudes.

Del

#1126204 - 05/08/04 01:34 PM Re: Scale Design - tension
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest U.S.
Then I'll just look forward to your book. Keep us updated on its progress toward release and about the distibutor. There doesn't seem to be much on-line nor in book form discussing issues of design differences between makes and how they benefit/detract/compromise in any kind of systematic and meaningful way. \:\)

#1126205 - 05/08/04 03:31 PM Re: Scale Design - tension
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
 Quote:
t was prompted by a little book I pulled, wet and mangled, out of a trash pile at a company I used to work for. Titled “Piano Scale Making” it was published in 1927 and in about 80 pages of sparse, but mostly concise prose, it explains how to ‘design’ and build a 5-foot piano. “A sample of which has been built and pronounced good.”
An obscure book indeed! I was able to find it in the Library of Congress catalog, but that's about it.

I wonder if the piano described was like one that I restrung some years ago. That particular one was an Everett, with 32 bass notes, although I later saw an identical piano marked Story & Clark. It stood out because you could see exactly where the wire gauges changed by the notching in the bridge, which to me, is as it should be. It was a fine little piano.

#1126206 - 05/08/04 04:15 PM Re: Scale Design - tension
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BDB:

An obscure book indeed! I was able to find it in the Library of Congress catalog, but that's about it.

I wonder if the piano described was like one that I restrung some years ago. That particular one was an Everett, with 32 bass notes, although I later saw an identical piano marked Story & Clark. It stood out because you could see exactly where the wire gauges changed by the notching in the bridge, which to me, is as it should be. It was a fine little piano. [/b]
Not exactly but probably close. This instrument had a 30 note bass section with three sections overall. It was 4' 11 3/8" long (the lid would have a 5/8" overhang bringing it up to an even 5'). I expect its intended market was just a bit below either the Everett or the Story & Clark.

The design is very generic but functional. And it has most of the design weaknesses of most of the small pianos of the era. Which makes it a good starting point for discussion.

Del

#1126207 - 05/09/04 01:45 PM Re: Scale Design - tension
dbm Offline

Del,

A belated thank-you for explaining so patiently to my naive questions on sustain. It is people like you who make this forum so educational and valuable --- from parents who simply want to buy a starter piano for their children to professional pianists to people like me who are just intrigued by the magnificent instrument. I am so glad that a book is in the works and am looking forward to its publication.

#1126208 - 05/10/04 10:59 AM Re: Scale Design - tension
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BDB:

One should never underestimate the cheapness of manufacturers. Wound strings are more expensive than plain strings!

It's ridiculous in some respects. Piano strings, even the wound ones, are dirt cheap compared to other stringed instruments.

That's speculation on my part! [/b]
BDB,

I found the quote I was thinking of over the weekend. On page 23 of “A Treatise on the Ari of Pianoforte Construction” (1916 edition), Samuel Wolfenden writes:
“The thickness of the covered strings below this point [the highest wrapped string on the bass bridge] often depends upon the number of pounds of copper the maker can afford to use.”

With the price of copper now considerably lower than it was during WW I labor makes up a much higher proportion of the cost of wrapped strings and they are more likely priced on a per-string basis rather than on the actual amount of copper used. But still....

Del

#1126209 - 05/10/04 11:09 AM Re: Scale Design - tension
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It's like steel pillars in automobile design. Whether the pillars at the corners of the top were wider "for more strength" or narrower "for better vision" depended on the relative price of glass versus steel.

I was intrigued by the information about longitudinal resonance of bass strings in Five Lectures on the Acoustics of the Piano. Mr. Conklin had criteria for bass string design which his recordings backed up as making an audible difference.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160048 Topics
2350342 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission