Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1128747 - 12/12/08 06:26 PM Why jazz?
PianoPlayerMan1994 Offline

So really why? Jazz has always seemed to me quite vulgar and even impotent in comparision to real classical music. I am wondering what is it that drives people to keep playing it. I understand there is heavy aspect of improv- but what I dont understand is why restrict yourself to the general schematics of jazz. I think there are plenty of wonderful jazz musicians(thelonius, tatum, etc..) but I can't understand how they never broke out of their jazz shells. In my opinion jazz is a cancerous blemish on the body of classical piano, though I'd be interested in hearing others idea(especially if you actually play jazz in a somewhat competant manner).

Piano & Music Accessories
#1128748 - 12/12/08 06:32 PM Re: Why jazz?
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah! Elitism at it's penultimate finest \:\)
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1128749 - 12/12/08 06:39 PM Re: Why jazz?
quiescen Offline

Loc: San Diego
Hi Pianoplayerman,

Perhaps I can put this whole issue into perspective by comparing what happens in the music world with the art world.

For example, suppose I'm a watercolorist. I love watercolor and have always enjoyed paniting in this style. Now, along comes an oil painter and says, "I can't understant what anyone sees in watercolor painting. It's not really art."

Do you see how inane this comparison is? The real reason many classical pianists fall into this comparison/put down trap is that they feel threatened by something that isn't "sophisticated." This isn't to say Jazz isn't sophisiticated. It is to say that judging an art form is a purely subjective and therefore relative act.

You like classical piano. Good for you. Now, can you allow for other forms of expression without feeling the need to defend your own idea of what "good" is?

The world is big enough to contain many forms and styles of music.

--------------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

#1128750 - 12/12/08 06:40 PM Re: Why jazz?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
This reads like a very well-done parody. Good job, PPM!

#1128751 - 12/12/08 07:13 PM Re: Why jazz?

Quote:
Originally posted by quiescen:
Hi Pianoplayerman,

Perhaps I can put this whole issue into perspective by comparing what happens in the music world with the art world.

For example, suppose I'm a watercolorist. I love watercolor and have always enjoyed paniting in this style. Now, along comes an oil painter and says, "I can't understant what anyone sees in watercolor painting. It's not really art."

Do you see how inane this comparison is? The real reason many classical pianists fall into this comparison/put down trap is that they feel threatened by something that isn't "sophisticated." This isn't to say Jazz isn't sophisiticated. It is to say that judging an art form is a purely subjective and therefore relative act.

You like classical piano. Good for you. Now, can you allow for other forms of expression without feeling the need to defend your own idea of what "good" is?

Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com [/b]
Perhaps if the watercolorist restricted himself to only the few colors which he liked it, the analogy would be more accurite.

#1128752 - 12/12/08 08:11 PM Re: Why jazz?
knotty Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
 Quote:

. In my opinion jazz is a cancerous blemish on the body of classical piano,
Are you for real?
This is awesome!

90 years ago you might have had an argument. Just like Rock&Roll coulss have been called a cancerous on jazz 60 years ago. And Rap on Rock 20 years ago.
But to think that today Jazz is hurting classical music... come on...

#1128753 - 12/12/08 08:34 PM Re: Why jazz?
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by PianoPlayerMan1994:
So really why? Jazz has always seemed to me quite vulgar and even impotent in comparision to real classical music.
In my opinion jazz is a cancerous blemish on the body of classical piano[/b]
And you, sir, are an ignorant, cancerous blemish on this forum.

#1128754 - 12/12/08 08:42 PM Re: Why jazz?
Larisa Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Did my old piano teacher get a PianoWorld account somehow? Sheesh.

#1128755 - 12/12/08 09:06 PM Re: Why jazz?

Perhaps some of you misunderstand my words. What I am saying goes beyond mere opinion, I happen to be stating the obvious:

Jazz piano, is a restrictive artistic medium. An individual jazz piece cannot escape the grasp of the medium of jazz as a whole- thus all jazx pieces end up sounding like variatoins of one another(at least in terms of color and a general sense of tonality).

In addition I can't imagine you could find a single person on this board whom would contend that jazz, as a medium, uses the most vulgar of human impulses as a foundation. With this in mind, how, in goo consciousnse,could anyone tolerate such music(or rather loosely connected noise in the opinions of many).

#1128756 - 12/12/08 09:17 PM Re: Why jazz?
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
 Quote:
all jazx pieces end up sounding like variatoins of one another(at least in terms of color and a general sense of tonality).
With this in mind, how, in goo consciousnse,could anyone tolerate such music(or rather loosely connected noise in the opinions of many). [/b]
How, in good conscience, could anyone tolerate such atrocious spelling?

#1128757 - 12/12/08 09:34 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

This idiot is really going to town isn't he?

#1128758 - 12/12/08 09:38 PM Re: Why jazz?
apianostudent Offline

Loc: CA
Quote..." An individual jazz piece cannot escape the grasp of the medium of jazz as a whole- thus all jazx pieces end up sounding like variatoins of one another(at least in terms of color and a general sense of tonality"

I'm betting that you don't have a thorough understanding of jazz music and/or it's history. Jazz, like classical music has changed through the decades and it's change is a VERY audible. Try googling it or find some videos in Youtube.

Additionally, your previous comment reminds me of people that state all classical music sounds alike. Surely you don't agree with that assessment.

#1128759 - 12/12/08 09:45 PM Re: Why jazz?
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by quiescen:
Hi Pianoplayerman,

Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com [/b]
Surprise, Quiescen...I agree with you completely. Good explanation. \:\)

#1128760 - 12/12/08 09:45 PM Re: Why jazz?
FlipSpiceland Offline

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Successful troll is successful

#1128761 - 12/12/08 10:14 PM Re: Why jazz?
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
 Quote:
Perhaps some of you misunderstand my words. What I am saying goes beyond mere opinion, I happen to be stating the obvious:

In addition I can't imagine you could find a single person on this board whom would contend that jazz, as a medium, uses the most vulgar of human impulses as a foundation. [/b]
Well, I think he means contest, but hey - I say:
YEAH!!! Vulgar is good! Especially as a "human impulse".
No wonder I love jazz!

#1128762 - 12/12/08 10:39 PM Re: Why jazz?
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm betting the "1994" in the OP's username is a birth year?

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)

#1128763 - 12/12/08 10:42 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

That's everyone's best guess. Makes him a juvenile delinquent. :rolleyes:

#1128764 - 12/12/08 10:49 PM Re: Why jazz?
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

LOL!!

Characterizing jazz as 'cancerous' is about as ridiculous as dismissing classical as "that longhair music", one I've heard all my life (well, not so much recently...).

On a more constructive note, I would urge OP to visit the following link, and peruse especially the "Musician to Musician" and "Theory and Analysis" rooms.

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/index.php

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)

#1128765 - 12/12/08 10:53 PM Re: Why jazz?
Rob Mullins Offline

Loc: LA CA
1994...number of neuron firings per year maybe?

#1128766 - 12/12/08 10:58 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
 Quote:
In addition I can't imagine you could find a single person on this board whom would contend that jazz, as a medium, uses the most vulgar of human impulses as a foundation....[/b]
Confusing "contest" and "contend" is kind of hilarious, given that it creates a statement that's the opposite of what's intended. Good thing he's not a lawyer; cases have been lost—and malpractice suits won—over less.

It reminds me of a lawyer I once knew who confused "prescribe" and "proscribe." 'Nuff said. ;\)

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1128767 - 12/12/08 10:59 PM Re: Why jazz?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
An individual jazz piece cannot escape the grasp of the medium of jazz as a whole- thus all jazx pieces end up sounding like variatoins of one another(at least in terms of color and a general sense of tonality).
This is really quite silly. All genres are "restrictive" and have elements which sound similar. All Baroque music share similar elements of color and tonality. Are you going to critique Baroque music now?

Quote:
In addition I can't imagine you could find a single person on this board whom would contend that jazz, as a medium, uses the most vulgar of human impulses as a foundation.
You'll have to explain this one for me. For example, here are two jazz pieces I came across today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V9VSxn2F9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpuR09s_mQ

I'd like your opinion on how these pieces use the "most vulgar of human impulses as a foundation".

I'm sorry to jump to conclusions, but your very fuzzy language seems to imply that you don't know anything about jazz, rather, you might have read something on the internet which sounded convincing and thus now take it as an opinion.

I would love to be proven wrong, though....

#1128768 - 12/12/08 11:09 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Would a troll in any other forum smell as bad?

I recommend that anyone check his posting history before casting their pearls before swine.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128769 - 12/12/08 11:09 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Mullins:
1994...number of neuron firings per year maybe? [/b]
NICE!

#1128770 - 12/12/08 11:09 PM Re: Why jazz?

Quote:
Originally posted by sotto voce:
 Quote:
In addition I can't imagine you could find a single person on this board whom would contend that jazz, as a medium, uses the most vulgar of human impulses as a foundation....[/b]
Confusing "contest" and "contend" is kind of hilarious, given that it creates a statement that's the opposite of what's intended. Good thing he's not a lawyer; cases have been lost—and malpractice suits won—over less.

It reminds me of a lawyer I once knew who confused "prescribe" and "proscribe." 'Nuff said. ;\)

Steven [/b]
my darling, you are quite mistaken. For the word contend has several different uses, here are just a few:

1)struggle to surmount
2)engage in a competition or campaign in order to win or achieve
3)assert something in a position in an argument

It should be evident that I was using the third usage. Feel free to verify what I have said.

Sotto, perhaps you should add a bit of deliberation and thoughtfulness to your posts so that you don't go making errors such as this in the future. I'm glad I could clear up your misunderstanding :3hearts:

#1128771 - 12/12/08 11:12 PM Re: Why jazz?

Sotto, I just notocided in your post that your name is Steven. I believed you to be an elderly female from because of your earlier posts- so I obviously wouldn't have called your darling or used the heart emote if I had known your were a male(which I now assume you to be due to your signature)please let me know if im wrong as to your sex.

#1128772 - 12/12/08 11:12 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Oh, damn. Now Steven is a darling. What next from this seemingly bottomless cesspool?

#1128773 - 12/12/08 11:14 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Sotto, I just notocided in your post that your name is Steven. I believed you to be an elderly female from because of your earlier posts- so I obviously wouldn't have called your darling or used the heart emote if I had known your were a male(which I now assume you to be due to your signature)please let me know if im wrong as to your sex. [/b]
I thought you hated old ladies ;\)

#1128774 - 12/12/08 11:15 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I quote [not properly -- the quote feature doesn't work on closed threads]

"You really are acting like a horrible old lady. Perhaps their is an angry dissaffected old lady's forum that you can join that would allow you to denounce us all more effectively, and with like minded disaffected grumpy old women."

Also, "Sotto, I just notocided in your post..."

Notocided? Notocided????

#1128775 - 12/12/08 11:17 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I hate to admit it, but this has become far more amusing than vexing.

But the target is so easy that it's practically unsportsmanlike to engage the person.

Don't you love that simultaneously high and mighty yet pathetic and thoroughly wrong defense of "contend"?

You can't make this stuff up.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128776 - 12/12/08 11:19 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm always up for a good round of semantic jousting!

#1128777 - 12/12/08 11:20 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I know, our former (excluding Gyro, of course) resident troll is well on his way to being the current resident laughingstock.

#1128778 - 12/12/08 11:21 PM Re: Why jazz?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ha, it's like I didn't even post at all.

#1128779 - 12/12/08 11:25 PM Re: Why jazz?

Quote:

But the target is so easy that it's practically unsportsmanlike to engage the person.

Don't you love that simultaneously high and mighty yet pathetic and thoroughly wrong defense of "contend"?

Steven [/b]
I guess my point did not come across. Let me be crystal clear:

the word contend has a number of different usages...
... one usage of the word contend is the way you though I meant it, "to engage in a competition or campaign in order to win or achieve".

However, this is not how i meant it.

The usage I was reffering to can be found in ANY dictionary under the word in question(content):

and i quote "to assert something as a position in an argument"

ex: "he contends that the judge was wrong"

here's the sentence I used:

"In addition I can't imagine you could find a single person on this board whom would contend that jazz, as a medium, uses the most vulgar of human impulses as a foundation...."

I hope it is all clear for you now sotto, you seem a bit confused on this matter even after my initial attempt to clear it up for you.

#1128780 - 12/12/08 11:26 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The most vulgar of human impulses? Obviously -- to seek pleasure!

Jazz is very pleasurable, as is most good music!

#1128781 - 12/12/08 11:27 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
I know, our former (excluding Gyro, of course) resident troll is well on his way to being the current resident laughingstock. [/b]
Given that the intent is to anger and harass, it really might burst his bubble when he can no longer elicit that reaction.

He's already a laughworthy parody of himself. How long before we all become inured to the pestilence altogether?

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128782 - 12/12/08 11:28 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

You CANNOT make this stuff up!

#1128783 - 12/12/08 11:28 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

The usage I was reffering to can be found in ANY dictionary under the word in question(content):
[/b]
The CONTENT of your post is a load of confusing uselessness.

#1128784 - 12/12/08 11:37 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
I know, our former (excluding Gyro, of course) resident troll is well on his way to being the current resident laughingstock. [/b]
Given that the intent is to anger and harass, it really might burst his bubble when he can no longer elicit that reaction.

He's already a laughworthy parody of himself. How long before we all become inured to the pestilence altogether?

Steven [/b]
PPM might actually be the smartest one of us all! He's secretly plotting to kill gyro!

#1128785 - 12/12/08 11:39 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hey, I'm feeling a vulgar human impulse coming on right now. I guess all this talk of jazz got me all worked up and flustered!

PPM, I'm so sorry you're disappointed that I'm not an elderly female. But if you'll confirm that you're a young male—and at least four years older than your screen name suggests—well, I'm wondering what you look like at least.

So what are your stats? They say opposites attract, and surely that applies to the intelligence spectrum as well as age. Besides, I like 'em young and stupid. So what do you say?

Steven (same way I've always signed my posts - don't be ashamed or embarrassed to admit you knew that all along - it's okay to be ... well, you know!)

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128786 - 12/12/08 11:41 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Steven (same way I've always signed my posts - don't be ashamed or embarrassed to admit you knew that all along - it's okay to be ... well, you know!) [/b]
Not that there's anything wrong with that!

#1128787 - 12/12/08 11:45 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by playadom:
PM might actually be the smartest one of us all! He's secretly plotting to kill gyro! [/b]
And to think that Gyro was already sweet on him. The two outcasts might have been friends—maybe even more:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/19668/2.html#000049

Well, who am I to complain? Gyro's loss might be my gain, after all!

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128788 - 12/12/08 11:46 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

\:D This guy is so dumb, it's unreal. Wait till he and Gyro go head-to-head.

#1128789 - 12/12/08 11:47 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Another beautiful relationship destroyed by an argument over digital pianos. What a shame.

#1128790 - 12/12/08 11:50 PM Re: Why jazz?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Gosh guys, what's going on in this place? I'm gone for a few months, and this is the kind of stuff that happens?

I've been missing out! \:D

Matt

#1128791 - 12/12/08 11:50 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128792 - 12/12/08 11:50 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Another beautiful relationship destroyed by an argument over digital pianos. What a shame. [/b]
:D \:D As far as I know, Gyro hasn't responded yet.

#1128793 - 12/12/08 11:50 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

WHAT AN AWESOME THREAD!

#1128794 - 12/12/08 11:54 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Hey, at least we've foisted this turkey on the poor people in PC- Non Classical. \:D \:D

#1128795 - 12/12/08 11:54 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
WHAT AN AWESOME THREAD! [/b]

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128796 - 12/12/08 11:58 PM Re: Why jazz?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Guys, actually PPM makes some really good points...

This is part of a documentary about how much jazz sucks. Take a look. Jazz - A world of delusion

Matt

#1128797 - 12/12/08 11:59 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:

This is part of a documentary about how much jazz sucks. Take a look. Jazz - A world of dilusion

Matt [/b]
Let's sit back and

#1128798 - 12/13/08 12:00 AM Re: Why jazz?
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cor, blimey...

#1128799 - 12/13/08 12:02 AM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

#1128800 - 12/13/08 12:02 AM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:

This is part of a documentary about how much jazz sucks. Take a look. Jazz - A world of delusion

Matt [/b]
Hey Matt,

It didn't take you long to get up to speed, did it? \:D

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128801 - 12/13/08 12:04 AM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kKoIwNryKs

The question is: Jazz? Or a salad of notes, acting as a cancerous growth on the very fiber of classical music?

Alternatively, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN0xQL4JhEY&feature=related
A jazz etude!

It sounds like Ravel inside a washing machine!

#1128802 - 12/13/08 12:08 AM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Oh dang, that increases my heart rate! (Look out, I'm feeling them vulgar impulses coming on again....)

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128803 - 12/13/08 12:08 AM Re: Why jazz?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

It sounds like Ravel inside a washing machine! [/b]
More like Mendelssohn getting a little buzzed and meeting Gershwin on a hot summer night on a dimly lit alleyway.

#1128804 - 12/13/08 12:11 AM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Oh dang, that increases my heart rate! (Look out, I'm feeling them vulgar impulses coming on again....)

Steven [/b]

These are so scary.

Send these to PPM94 for me, will you?

#1128805 - 12/13/08 12:12 AM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:

More like Mendelssohn getting a little buzzed and meeting Gershwin on a hot summer night on a dimly lit alleyway. [/b]

Matt, you are wise beyond your years!

Steven

p.s. You too, playadom! ;\)

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128806 - 12/13/08 12:13 AM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kKoIwNryKs

The question is: Jazz? Or a salad of notes, acting as a cancerous growth on the very fiber of classical music?

Alternatively, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN0xQL4JhEY&feature=related
A jazz etude!

I've heard those before. Quite mind blowing.

#1128807 - 12/13/08 12:14 AM Re: Why jazz?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

More like Mendelssohn getting a little buzzed and meeting Gershwin on a hot summer night on a dimly lit alleyway. [/b]

Steven [/b]
Beyond??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
\:D

#1128808 - 12/13/08 12:14 AM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:

#1128809 - 12/13/08 12:15 AM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
quote:

Steven [/b]

Heck, I'm younger than Matt \:D

#1128810 - 12/13/08 12:19 AM Re: Why jazz?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
quote:
quote:

Steven [/b]

And Dakota and I party it up while listening to Tatum. It's how we roll.

#1128811 - 12/13/08 12:22 AM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Y'all need some stride pie-annah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wi54rRt3xg

#1128812 - 12/13/08 12:34 AM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Steven [/b]

And Dakota and I party it up while listening to Tatum. It's how we roll.

legit... tru dat broski

[these nested quotes look as bad as the faerie's aire and death waltz]

#1128813 - 12/13/08 07:25 AM Re: Why jazz?
JustAnotherPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
HAHAHAH

That piece is incredibly cool.
What a great player too! Who is that guy?

#1128814 - 12/13/08 12:01 PM Re: Why jazz?
Larisa Offline

Quote:

Steven [/b]
Yeah. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. What was it about getting into a battle of wits with the unarmed?

#1128815 - 12/13/08 12:21 PM Re: Why jazz?
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Yes, he is very good. It may be the English, Neville Dickie of which I have 3 or 4 of his CD's.

Dick Hyman. Ralph Sutton. Cannot recall other stride players right now,apart from Fats Waller, Willy the Lion-Smith. Don Lambert.

I think it is called 'Finger Buster'

swingal

PS I was absolutely appalled at PPM's abuse of jazz. He needs to read the history of it and if he can't understand it. Learn about it. It of course is unrelated in structure to Classical Music and can be appreciated by people who understand both genres.

#1128816 - 12/13/08 12:32 PM Re: Why jazz?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Are you talking about the stride piece? That's The Lion's FingerBuster. A personal favorite of mine. The pianist in that is Jim Hession.

Dick Wellstood is also really good stride composer and player. I'm quite fond of his arrangement of "Bill Bailey won't you please come home".

The other videos I posted were by Nikolai Kapustin. The jazz etude is quite interesting indeed.

#1128817 - 12/13/08 04:06 PM Re: Why jazz?
WillisWill Offline

Loc: Charlottesville, VA
 Quote:
In my opinion jazz is a cancerous blemish...[/b]
No, Jazz is like gonorrhea, one of the easiest ways to get it is by spending a lot of time in seedy clubs with a lot of questionable characters

#1128818 - 12/13/08 05:48 PM Re: Why jazz?
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Well and so it goes on...... Is somebody trying to wind up the true jazz enthusiasts. We jazz lovers do not spend our time putting down classical enthusiasts. Either this is a load of bull .....or serious criticism. I do not find jazz enthusiasts comparing us with classical music.

The two genres are incomparable.

swingal

#1128819 - 12/13/08 09:14 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Rest assured that this is load of bull****. PPM1994 is a troll.

#1128820 - 12/13/08 09:59 PM Re: Why jazz?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Alright guys, as fun as this is, can we let this topic die? Just kinda tired of all this haha.

#1128821 - 12/13/08 10:04 PM Re: Why jazz?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Agreed. :rolleyes:

#1128822 - 12/13/08 10:06 PM Re: Why jazz?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yeah, and besides, everybody knows gonorrhea comes from toilet seats anyhow.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1128823 - 12/16/08 06:09 PM Re: Why jazz?
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
 Quote:
Would a troll in any other forum smell as bad?

I recommend that anyone check his posting history before casting their pearls before swine.

Steven [/b]
Checked it. It appears he gets his jollies by getting people stirred up so that he can insult them.

#1128824 - 12/20/08 01:51 AM Re: Why jazz?
Ken. Offline

Quote:
I understand there is heavy aspect of improv- but what I dont understand is why restrict yourself to the general schematics of jazz. I think there are plenty of wonderful jazz musicians(thelonius, tatum, etc..) but I can't understand how they never broke out of their jazz shells.[/b]
I sometimes wonder the same thing about classical musicians. Why don't they learn to improvise, and improvise in classical as well like they used to in Bach's time.

I remember hearing Mary McPartland on PBS's Piano Jazz saying how she would ask a classical pianist to improvise with her, and the pianist would look at her in horror and say no I couldn't do that. They were scared to stray from the written note.

#1128825 - 12/20/08 01:08 PM Re: Why jazz?
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ken.:
 Quote:
I understand there is heavy aspect of improv- but what I dont understand is why restrict yourself to the general schematics of jazz. I think there are plenty of wonderful jazz musicians(thelonius, tatum, etc..) but I can't understand how they never broke out of their jazz shells.[/b]
I sometimes wonder the same thing about classical musicians. Why don't they learn to improvise, and improvise in classical as well like they used to in Bach's time.

I remember hearing Mary McPartland on PBS's Piano Jazz saying how she would ask a classical pianist to improvise with her, and the pianist would look at her in horror and say no I couldn't do that. They were scared to stray from the written note. [/b]
Ken,

Here is one magnificent exception:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUqhPoA5bIY

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1128826 - 12/24/08 01:32 AM Re: Why jazz?
Larisa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Riddler:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ken.:
 Quote:

I remember hearing Mary McPartland on PBS's Piano Jazz saying how she would ask a classical pianist to improvise with her, and the pianist would look at her in horror and say no I couldn't do that. They were scared to stray from the written note. [/b]
Ken,

Here is one magnificent exception:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUqhPoA5bIY

Ed [/b]
This is fairly jazzy, though - more jazz improvisation than classical improvisation. One other magnificent exception is Robert Levin, whom I heard in concert when I was a teenager. He would get the audience to write musical themes on scraps of paper, then pull a few out of the box and improvise on those, in the Classical style. (and at that concert, the very first theme he picked out was mine... I was so excited)

#1128827 - 12/24/08 11:00 AM Re: Why jazz?
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Larisa,

I have enjoyed listening to your compositions and other video performances.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1128828 - 12/26/08 06:08 PM Re: Why jazz?
Larisa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Riddler:
Larisa,

I have enjoyed listening to your compositions and other video performances.

Ed [/b]
Thanks so much!

#1128829 - 12/29/08 01:30 PM Re: Why jazz?
Mark Eisenman Offline

Loc: Toronto ON. Canada
I could just as easily dismiss all of classical music because it doesn't have the rhythmic vitality so unique to jazz. By that I mean that insanely elusive quality known as "swing". Yes if I were an ignorant[/b] jazz musician I might say "That music's useless, it doesn't swing , it's SO LIMITED!"

Of course, I have haven't met any jazz musicians THAT ignorant.
But I have met classical musicians (at least THIS one time) that ARE that ignorant

One other point jazz is not a style... it's a process.

Mark Eisenman

www.jazzpiano.ca

http://ca.youtube.com/profile?user=MarkEisenman

#1128830 - 01/01/09 11:04 PM Re: Why jazz?
MonksDream Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Eisenman:

One other point jazz is not a style... it's a process.
[/b]
Effin' brilliant! Consider yourself quoted, Mark

#1128831 - 01/05/09 05:46 PM Re: Why jazz?
Jack3491 Offline

Loc: UK
I think someones already said it, but Jazz has definetely not had as long to develop as classical music. Plus how can you say someones music like Bill Evans, can sound like a variation on Fats Waller or Art Tatum, maybe to a very very superficial kind of listener, but would the same listener be able to tell the difference between Bach and Handel, or even Bachs own works?

Ps. just got Nat Adderly's Work Song album. WOW!!!

#1128832 - 01/05/09 05:55 PM Re: Why jazz?
WillisWill Offline

Loc: Charlottesville, VA
Here is a nice article in the WSJ regarding the inroads improvisation is making in the classical community.

#1128833 - 01/05/09 08:36 PM Re: Why jazz?
BigZ Offline

A large part of the appeal of many of the great classical composers was their reportedly amazing ability to compose, or improvise, on-the-fly at the keyboard.

#1128834 - 01/05/09 11:38 PM Re: Why jazz?
Larisa Offline

Oh, I really hope improvisation comes back for classical music. Classical improvising is so much fun.

#1128835 - 01/06/09 10:44 AM Re: Why jazz?
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
It would be nice if classical music had not come to halt in the 20th century. Modern classical music is quite different.

#1128836 - 01/09/09 11:54 AM Re: Why jazz?
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

All I know is that Horowitz had a great admiration for Art Tatum's ability and Glenn Gould actually made a personal call to Bill Evans, to tell Bill that he was a great admirer of Bill's works.

Jazz and Classical music requires very different sets of skills, and they are both very demanding to play well.

The problem is that sometimes people can love what they do so much that they don't take time to take a look at other things with the same kind of attention and scrutiny as what they love. W

e can say that about DJ's in scratching contest, skaters, clowns, you name it.. once you learn more about it you realize there is a craft, an art in what they do and that it takes a lot of dedication and talent to be able to do what they do.

#1128837 - 01/13/09 11:52 AM Re: Why jazz?
pianojazz Offline

Loc: dearborn, mi
Oh boy, here we are again... classical v jazz - the battle lines have been drawn and away we go... So here's my take on all of this... If you can listen to Bill Evans play My Foolish Heart and not be moved, or at least affected - you are probably deaf and missing something truly beautiful. Likewise, every time I hear Mozart's 40th Symphony I'm awestruck - same with Stravinsky’s Firebird or Beethoven's Pathetique - and the list goes on. All of this music makes the world a far better place. On the other hand, I can also say beyond a doubt, there are types of music I deplore - e.g. Dixieland jazz makes me want to cover my ears and run. It's just not for me. So I say, to each their own.

#1128838 - 01/26/09 11:50 AM Re: Why jazz?
dpvjazz Offline

Loc: phoenix az
Check the link out and listen how both worlds Classical and Jazz can be combined together and be enjoyed by all. DPVJAZZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl6C8WTnnPQ

#1128839 - 02/06/09 04:43 PM Re: Why jazz?
delirium Offline

why jazz???
maybe because we can't play anything else?

#1128840 - 02/06/09 10:26 PM Re: Why jazz?
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Because we like it.

#1490675 - 08/08/10 03:22 AM Re: Why jazz? [Re: Jazz+]
Jeffrey Preston Offline

Loc: Elma NY
Jazz is a fun way to communicate with others in the universal language of music.

Edited by geoff preston (08/08/10 03:22 AM)

#1490793 - 08/08/10 11:17 AM Re: Why jazz? [Re: Jeffrey Preston]
Lalala Offline

Loc: portugal
I don't like modern jazz... it makes me sick D:
the other day I was in a shop when for no reason I stared feeling weird, i wa snervous, anxious, my chest stated to hurt... it was really weird, and then I noticed A band was playing jazz just outside of it. I walked for more then 15m to my car and was very nervous all the time...
jazz and new age music are really not for me.

#1491256 - 08/08/10 10:40 PM Re: Why jazz? [Re: Lalala]
AJF Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Lalala
the other day I was in a shop when for no reason I stared feeling weird, i wa snervous, anxious, my chest stated to hurt... it was really weird, and then I noticed A band was playing jazz just outside of it. I walked for more then 15m to my car and was very nervous all the time...

Great. Good thing there are lots of different types of music to listen to. Thanks for sharing....

#1491305 - 08/09/10 12:10 AM Re: Why jazz? [Re: Lalala]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: Lalala

So it's not just me! I've had that reaction to some things like Donna Lee. Very disorienting, like riding backwards in a bus. Not all jazz, though.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1491341 - 08/09/10 01:51 AM Re: Why jazz? [Re: ten left thumbs]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

What happened to the OP? Maybe he converted and now loves jazz and is too embarrassed to admit it!

I've never heard jazz making someone physically sick! That's pretty funny (ok maybe not).

There was that experiment where retail stores would play classical music out in the front to prevent teens from loitering and causing trouble. Apparently most teens hate classical.

Jazz encompasses such a wide variety that even fans probably don't like certain styles of jazz. I don't like the old era stuff, like Dixieland or Boogie Woogie, or anything with Wynton Marsalis. Nor do I like "smooth" jazz, the watered down stuff you hear at the dentist. Or most free or avant-garde jazz, like Cecil Taylor.

But there's enough jazz that I do like to keep me satisfied.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, AEMontoya, 89grand, 36251, 49 invisible), 1245 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157097 Topics
2307149 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
Today at 03:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission