Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1129073 - 07/21/07 10:50 AM Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Does anyone play Floyd Cramer style of piano? If so, please share his slip note style with me? How to play his style in theory. Sandy B

Piano & Music Accessories
#1129074 - 07/21/07 10:59 AM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Here's some info from WikiPedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_chords

EDIT: Whoops, wrong guy. \:D

Floyd Cramer style is like playing grace notes under the melody tone and a harmonizing note above it. So if the melody tone is E and we're in the key of C major, you'd play a D grace note followed by E melody note and a G above it to add some extra harmony.

#1129075 - 07/21/07 11:59 AM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
paul milando Offline

Loc: westfield Indiana
His style is called slipnote. It was a technique
of emulating a steel guitar. This style is easier to do in some keys than others. You slip from a 1/2 step or whole step above your intended target note.

#1129076 - 07/21/07 02:19 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you both so much... Paul and Mahlzeit...Sandy B

#1129077 - 08/10/07 09:00 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Does anyone play Floyd Cramer style of piano? If so, please share his slip note style with me[/b]

Yes, I play his style, and he plays in thirds mostly. I think someone mentioned this already, but he usually will start in a fifth position and run the tonic to the second to the third (fast) and end up with a third and the fifth played together.

LH is octave root and chord followed with the fifth and back to the octave root (swing bass).

Easier to show you at the piano, than put into words.

Hope this helps.

Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher

#1129078 - 08/10/07 09:01 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Okay I double posted so might just add that his original scores are exactly as he plays his music.

Diane

#1129079 - 08/10/07 10:34 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dear Diane W, Thank you so much. I printed your info and will refer to this in my continued attempt to play his style, Floyd Cramer. Are you saying in your 2nd post that his original music will help me play his style too. I will go soon to purchase some of his arranged style if so. Thank you again. Not too many women teach piano in, Jazz, Blues and Boogie. You must be very blessed with musical talent.
Thank you again for your sharing with me and other members. Sandy B

#1129080 - 08/10/07 11:16 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by 193866
Are you saying in your 2nd post that his original music will help me play his style too. [/b]

Yes, in his "Floyd Cramer Great Piano Hits" transcribed from the Floyd Cramer recordings by Bill McElhiney, his music is perfectly written. He is one of the few that has his music written exactly as he plays it in recording! I have to say in pieces like "Last Date" and "Losers Weepers" I use octaves for the walking bass, swing the base in the LH just to give it a fuller sound, but you will definitely play exactly like him with this written music.

Also, I do tend to use the swing bass alot because the chords are there as well, and in his videos, I believe his is swinging the bass.

Take a heart pill before you look at the music, it may look really hard, but just work at it slowly, and you will get it.

Have to add that his music is my absolute favorite, and worth ever bit of your time to learn it.

All the best!

Diane

#1129081 - 08/11/07 05:41 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Funky_Fred Offline

Actually, I attempted to do a video on the Floyd Cramer technique, using the Willie Nelson Christmas song, Pretty Paper. Roy Orbison had a hit with this song. Anyway, here is the video, but keep in mind, I'm not a piano teacher, but hopefully you get something from the video:

Pretty Paper Video http://www.box.net/shared/kc35p8i4v1

Pretty Paper mp3 http://www.box.net/shared/q2oziq5exk

#1129082 - 08/11/07 06:16 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Diane, Thank you for your imput. You are a very talented pianist-teacher. Sandy B

#1129083 - 08/11/07 06:27 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Been trying to "google" Floyd Cramer sheet music, but just seem to come up with easy arrangements. So for those who want to order his original music, looks like you can order by having the following information.

Floyd Cramer
Great Piano Hits

Copyright @ 1960 by: Acuff-Rose Music Inc.
P.O Box 121900, 66 Music Square West,
Nashville, Tn 37212-1900
This arrangement Copyright @ 1971
by Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.

And the numbers on the back of the book are;
P0756P9X (CPP/Belwin, Inc.)

Addition info on the book are:
CPP/Belwin Inc.
15800 N.W. 48th Avenue
Miami, FL 33014

Songs in the book are:
- Last Date
- Fancy Pants
- The First Hurt
- Losers Weepers
- On the Rebound
and many others,

I'd say the numbers on the back of the book are the most important.

Hope this book is not out of publication!
Have Fun!

Diane

#1129084 - 08/11/07 06:41 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Funky_Fred, Your video is a treasure and thank you so much for sharing with me and the other members too. I am excited to learn this from the video. I have wanted to play this for years. I studied with Ralph Lomax, Lexington, NC , in the 1980's for a few months while he was off tour. He was about 35 years old in 1985 so he is getting on in years now. He played the Floyd Cramer style, gospel piano on the Southern Baptist Gospel Curcuit. He did not read music but knew theory and played in all 12 keys on demand. He is fabulous to say the least. I had classical piano studies and I could not learn from him as he was all theory related and I was classical related. I was not ready but I am now after a year of jazz studies with two jazz pros\ a few years back... the way he had a heart operation at 11 years old and had to stay home and his grandfather bought him by a Play By Ear Piano set, with many cassettes, maybe 24 cassettes, I saw them... or so... with instrustions. He listened to Floyd Cramer tapes he said and this became his style. He was very successful, mid - level gospel curcuit...Bus going from town to town... on the curcuit and Ralph paid cash for his house in 7 years in his 30's with his piano playing. Oh,he had another heart operation, as a child... after the first ...and studied more and more Cramer style he said.I sounds exactly like Cramer with upbeat gospel style. His style is so great. Thank you again for sharing with me and the other members... Sandy B

#1129085 - 08/11/07 06:53 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you again Diane, I have printed all your info Diane and Funky_Fred, his too, and, put his video in my favorites. I am so happy and thank you both for making me very, very happy lady today and forever with my continued attempts to play the Floyd Cramer style. We will do this together. Chuckles... Sandy B

#1129086 - 08/11/07 07:28 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Grateful for all input concerning the Floyd Cramer style.. I Thank Paul Milando and Mahlzeit again too... All imput is very helpful. Thank you both again. Sandy B.

#1129087 - 08/12/07 06:37 AM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
His technique is also called hammer on, or at least that's what I have been taught. Try this- hand position in a first inversion C chord e-g-c,and nail g-c together and move the lower voice up to a and back to g and down to e in 16th notes all the while holding the c (5-6-5-3 with the root above). Then move down to root position C chord and nail d and g together and move up to e and back to d to c (2-3-2-1 with the 5th being held above). Start high and come down 1st inversion to root, 1st inversion to root while running the hammer ons in 16ths and you get a nice pentatonic lick.
If you want to move to a more jazzy Floyd sound try the same C lick against an F maj7 chord and you start sounding more like Nora Jones meets Floyd.

#1129088 - 08/13/07 03:55 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pete The bean...Thank you for your input... and I am more determined to learn this style than ever with all of this Piano World moral support. I so appreciate all input. I refer to the video Funky_Fred sent every day now ...I will learn this style. Thinking of bringing my kepboard to the computer to practice from the video. Our piano is too big to bring. Need a small keyboard for study at the computer ... Thank you so much for sharing info...Sandy B

#1129089 - 08/13/07 03:57 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

How do I edit when I make a spelling mistake please? Cannot find this option for some reason. Thank you in advance. Sandy B

#1129090 - 08/13/07 04:24 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by 193866:
How do I edit when I make a spelling mistake please?[/b]
Just click on the paper/pencil figure above your message you want to correct. It will put your message up in a box, and you can change spelling mistakes. Make your change, then press the "edit post" button, and you will have corrected the error.

Diane

#1129091 - 08/13/07 06:53 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dear Diane W...Thank you so much and I recorded this for future reference. Sandy B

#1129092 - 08/14/07 02:22 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Funky_Fred Offline

Sandra,

Go to Youtube and search on Floyd Cramer. There are several great videos, but you might be very interested in this one- How to play Floyd Cramer's Last Date:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40EW6ARVBw

#1129093 - 08/14/07 07:15 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you Funky_Fred so much. I have a file filled with all the members input ... info...There is no excuse of me now not to play his style, Cramer ...Sandy B

#1129094 - 08/23/07 05:13 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Funky_Fred...The video of your teaching the Floyd Cramer style slip note and blended notes, etc. you sent me is working slowly. I refer to it everyday and I am finally getting it. Between your video and by ear, inspired from your video. Thank you again. I studied with a gospel player 6 months, every week for an hour... and... never got it for some reason and I have now thanks to you. He did not read music and maybe if I had referred to the music in his by ear key? Well... Through the years I would give it a shot again and never got it until now... I feel good.
Thanks to you Funky_Fred... Most grateful to Piano World and proving you can teach an old, 68 year old, dog new tricks with enough talented input from members,etc. Thanks to you too Frank B for your wonderful Piano World. Thank you so much again members. Sandy B

#1129095 - 08/23/07 05:59 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

To Diane W. You helped me so much with your professional input on the Floyd Cramer style of piano playing recently. The idea to buy the sheet music was a new thought to me as I never thought about the sheet music teaching me his style. Why not I do not know? Now I know because of you and I am excited to go find this sheet music. You have given me much information to study in his style and to think over. I printed every word you wrote to me for reference and I treasure your input so much. I am finally getting the Cramer flavor at least ...if not... style. I am so happy and grateful to you. Sandy B

#1129096 - 08/24/07 03:45 AM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
Funky_Fred Offline

Sandra,

I came across yet another explanation on YouTube. Bradley Sowash plays an excellent version of CRAZY for the Piano Guy. At about the 3 minute mark of the video, there is an excellent explanation of the "slip note" technique. I hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBFGrFDiV7c

#1129097 - 08/24/07 08:54 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Funky_Fred, Thank you and I will follow your suggestion. Scott The Piano Guy? I follow his career. I have written to him as a fan and he writes back to me. Crazy the song that Willie Nelson wrote for Patsy Kline. I read this song came to him in the back set of a car and that he, Willie, wrote it out on a brown paper bag. Open to input. Sandy B

#1129098 - 08/25/07 07:11 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Last night I played a Floyd Cramer tape. His sound is really in my mind now...as, I woke up and played his tape again. Cannot wait to get to the music store, Diane W suggestion,to buy the sheet music. Diane said that the sheet music is written in his actual style of playing.I can study from the sheet music. Thank you again so much Diane. Going out Monday and should be able to find it in the local music store or at least order a copy or so. I am so excited to get this sheet music and get busy reading the music and study his style more. My main style of playing is improv of Big Band. I love learning different styles of piano playing though. Anyone else learn bar room style piano playing? Joanne Castle style. Sandy B

#1129099 - 08/29/07 06:05 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dear Diane W. Thank you for the tip about the easy to play sheet music, etc, that it might not have his style in the notation of the sheet music, Floyd Cramer. I will wait and go order in person at the local music store, to be certain it is what I want and not by phone. Other members might be interested in this info too so I am posting your message here Diane for them. Thank you so much for your excellent advice and suggestions. I so appreciate all of your input to help me with the Floyd Cramer style.. I will learn, maybe 6 months ,to get good enough as not at all my style.I have a cassette of his playing but not Last Date. I am all about classical and big band improv from fake sheets...and that is about it really. Love this challenge. Thanking you so much Diane W... Sandy B

#1129100 - 08/29/07 09:15 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
rtark Offline

Loc: Dardanelle,Ar
Sandra. I am also a big Cramer fan. Look at this Last Date sheet music. It is written almost exactly as Floyd plays it. http://sheetmusicdigital.com/scorchitem.asp?id=HL00018020&Scorch=Selected As you will see , it looks complicated.My friend owns a piano store here and he has been a Cramer fan for 40 years. He can play exactly as Floyd and he cant read a single note of music. I am always picking his brain. He came to my house the other day to tune my piano and I wouldn't pay him untill he played a few songs for me. You can hear those cramer licks in all his music. I wish you was close enough to stop by his store, he loves playing for people and showing them things. Hope this helps. Ray

#1129101 - 08/30/07 07:19 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

rtark... Thank you for sharing your story with us and I chuckled the part you would not pay him until he played for you. Fun. Wish I could visit his shop too and hear him play. Yu have helped me as I will access the web site you gave me. Thank you again. Funky Fred sent me a video he made showing Floyd Cramer style and after listening many time and watching Funky Fred on the video I am beginning to play Floyd Cramer by ear.Fun. We really learn from each other on the Piano World Forums. Thank you Frank B ...our founder and leader. Sandy B

#1129102 - 09/30/07 02:54 PM Re: Does anyone play Floyd Cramer Style Piano ?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you Diane W for your information about Floyd Cramer recently in August. I had the chance to order his sheet music very recently. Remembering to not order the simple arrangement as you suggested that it would not have his full style. I am so excited to read and play his style from the sheet music when it comes in and thank so much again Diane for all of your excellent information. Thank you Again, Sandy B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Besides Evenness, Any other tips for good Trilling?
by Paul678
10 minutes 24 seconds ago
October Piano Bar
by ladypayne
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Kimbal Viennese
by Jennymomofboys
Yesterday at 10:40 PM
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Who's Online
111 registered (aceydawg, Abby Pianoman, A Guy, 36 invisible), 1447 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157901 Topics
2319020 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission