Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
71 registered (AZNpiano, Almaviva, AmateurBob, Anticlock, 20 invisible), 1154 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1129349 - 08/17/07 03:29 PM How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Dear Frank B and Members, HOW DOES PIANO WORLD FORUMS INSPIRE YOU AND IMPROVE YOUR WORLD? Here is how it has inspired me and improved my world... Piano World has really made my world in general happier. Piano World is a big part of my life now as I am retired in assisted living. I am here because of short term memory loss due to stroke damage. I need to keep my brain active, according to the professional medical doctors, as, I am prone to early dementia as a result of the strokes, so the medical Dr's tell me. This forum really improves my world and makes it fun to keep my damaged brain on overdrive. Piano keeps the brain very busy as all of you know. I want to thank you Frank B for your inspiration and work to build Piano World Forum for us. The members are creative talented people I really enjoy interacting with them. I am so constantly inspired by Piano World to go back to classical piano and composing too... 40 years I have been away from this and only played popular piano, etc the last 40 years. The members have been so supportive when I ask questions, the Teachers Forum has been wonderful to me. Also, I enjoy being a mentor to others who need me and I am always learning from members too. Bonus for you humanitarians out there... the residents here in assisted living... where I reside... so enjoy my piano music and spoil me with their praise...All of you are helping them too ,by inspiring me, as, they love the live piano music every day for about an hour... or more... where I perform on our new small black baby grand piano for them... Thank you again Frank B and members for making our world brighter here as elders in assisted living. Many elders are lonely and away from family, or have outlived their family. I enjoy performing for the elders and they smile, and the music brings back memories to them. They talk about their life, etc. Happy talk. The average age here is 85 years old. I am 68 years old. So... all of you and your young sharp minds inspire my world beyond description to stay young at heart at the piano for myself and the elders here. Thank you again...Forever Grateful... to all of you...My memory is much better, not worse, as a result of Piano World Forums.The Piano World Forums inspire me at the piano and beyond. Grandma...The Beautiful World of Music at Piano World Forums... Respectfully. You have earned my respect... Sandy B

Piano & Music Accessories
#1129350 - 08/17/07 03:41 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
1.) PW provides a huge source of social support from people who care as passionately about piano as I do.

2.) PW has introduced me to a huge range of composers and music I never would've found on my own. I doubt I would've discovered Einaudi by myself, and that one composer alone has made my life more beautiful and rewarding. \:\)

3.) The on-line recitals and piano bars give me the opportunity to share my playing with others besides my (captive) family members.

4.) Some of the writing here just can't be beat. Whenever I'm feeling depressed, I go back and read the "First Act" thread and have a good laugh. \:D

5.) Because I'm self-teaching, PW provides me with a useful source of quick answers to questions like "what fingering should I use in this measure".

#1129351 - 08/17/07 04:30 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I had piano lesson from 1995-2000. In 2006, I discovered PianoWorld and I was back at the piano. It's really fun to chat with people like me who enjoy learning the piano.

PW is the place to get support and inspiration when I need it.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1129352 - 08/17/07 04:45 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
I've enjoyed at least three benefits of PW:

I've learned, and am learning, so much about pianos. When I walk into a piano store now I feel like an educated consumer, not, as before, an idiot. That new-found confidence hasn't led me to take the plunge yet and buy a grand piano, but someday it surely will.

It's been great listening to the music of other recreational players, both for its own sake and for how it helps me to better assess and understand my own strengths, weaknesses and slow progress at the piano.

I've especially liked reading how others feel about the process of making music at the piano -- the joys and frustrations, the fumblings and the fingerings, the discoveries and the revelations. Again, this has been enjoyable in its own right. But I've also found it a great aid to self-discovery, evolving my own perspectives as the experiences of others resonate in my head.

Thanks to all.

#1129353 - 08/17/07 08:41 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Tony V Offline

1) PW is a great learning place and is probably the best place on the entire world wide web to get information on pianos and piano-playing.

2) I don't think I have ever been in a forum with 99-100% nice person rate. This place gives me the heebie-jeebies now that I think about it... Is that how heaven will be? Like Piano World, lol. \:D

:3hearts:

#1129354 - 08/17/07 09:03 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tuan Vo are telling us Piano World is renewing your faith in mankind? The world of the dedicated piano student is rather lonely? It has been for me. I am 68 years old. Anyone else think this way too? It is wonderful to share thoughts with the members of Piano World. Piano is more to me than I could ever describe... it is my world. Always has been since my first lesson. Sandy B

#1129355 - 08/17/07 09:14 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
I am grateful that I discovered Piano World Forum. It's my first experience in having "conversations" with people I don't know and can't see and can't hear. However, I get to know them well through their writings, what they are interested in and concerned about. It really adds to my knowledge bass of what happens in piano study and music making at the personal level. If helps me understand my students concerns and attitudes better. I have never heard this kind of spontaneity and such a fast pace of changing subjects before.

I think that I am improving my responses to think quickly and relate the key points about music teaching and learning while writing about it. I have always meant to improve in this area, and now I am getting the thinking and writing exercise with which to make those improvements.

It is both a "playground" and an "academic vortex" as far as I'm concerned. It's great! I don't think people would be participating if it was not meeting our needs.

Thanks, Frank, and all!

Betty

#1129356 - 08/18/07 08:58 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Monica and Betty and Frank B... Your kindness and intelligent input really is so appreciated. I heard on TV, the news, recently. When someone is kind and helpful to another person, according to research studies, that both people release something in their brain that comforts them and makes them feel content, happy. Not only those two benefit but all the people who are present and witness this also. All win situation for us at Piano World when you mentor us.Thank you.I love reading posts from both of you. Also Frank B ... what wisdom and kindness there also. There are many others other members who are wonderful too but you three stand out to me. I appreciate input from all of the members. My dad taught me young how we treat others in this life is NUMBER ONE...he stated that if we do not get this right we are a failure in this life. I believe that. Sandy B

#1129357 - 08/21/07 06:56 AM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
To Sandra and all.

I agree with the sentiments of this topic and have found great inspiration for playing the piano even more. In general terms, by far the most people here are pleasant and helpful. Talking (writing) as we do, it is easy to read someone else's mind and this is a great comfort.

Piano players as we are, are 99% genuine folk who are soulful and friendly. The debates are uplifting and make us want to better our playing, so I'm aways very keen to practice as soon as I can from the inspirations here.

Talking about posts, have you noticed the very high number of posts some members have reached like over 8000 ? Anyone like to work out what that represents in average daily time? Relative to the years they have been a member.

Alan (swingal)

#1129358 - 08/21/07 01:18 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
In addition to the benefits others have discussed -- learning about pianos, new music, new friends, interesting writing -- I can add a selfish one ....

This place has allowed me to access the generous expertise of people like Elena, Jeff Biegel, Kreisler, BruceD and a host of others, who have helped my son (and me too!) by offering serious comments and suggestions for improving his playing and musicianship.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1129359 - 08/21/07 02:16 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Loc: Kailua-Kona, HI
Hi everyone,

I just love[/b] these forums!

Playing piano, to me, means that although I'm a teacher, I'm always a student. I'm always trying to learn more, grow more, become more expressive at the piano, and of course play better and better! I learn from my students every day, and I learn both from all the great questions asked and from the answers given on these forums.

Simply reading how others perceive a question or problem, or how others think outside the box, is always inspiring and thought-provoking!

I also feel really inspired and challenged by the master teachers and players here -- wow!

There are really very few active forums on the 'net that are this friendly, helpful, well-moderated, and just plain fun. I'm grateful to be a part of this community!

Best,

Kim

#1129360 - 08/21/07 02:36 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Sandra, your post describes feelings I'm sure many of us share about Piano World.

In 2005-2006, I experienced a painful dislocation in my personal and professional life from which I'm still recovering. I made the decision to reconnect with piano—and to resume practicing my lifelong devotion to Chopin—last year on my 50th birthday.

Piano World has played a big role in keeping me true to the dedication and commitment to music that were lacking during earlier periods of my life. I feel certain I've found friends for life in some of the social contacts I've made here. And the process of participating in virtual discussions about music made me realize that I enjoy the craft of written communication enough to build a new career around it!

Thanks for sharing what PW has meant to you. For personal reasons, I had been having some similar thoughts lately—and you've provided a thread in which to express them.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1129361 - 08/21/07 07:53 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle-ish, WA
If it weren't for pianoworld,
I'd have never gone to a piano teacher.
Instead of being a computer programmer AND musician, I'd still just be a computer programmer interested in being a musician.

pianoworld is responsible for me becoming an actual musician.

that's high praise for a website.

most don't create artists.

I absolutely loooooove pianoworld !!

...Steve

#1129362 - 08/21/07 08:27 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
h2obuff Offline

Loc: kansas city area
Pianoworld is definitely a motivator. I read a lot and comment or post very little. As with most things the more I get involved and learn the heavier the questions. Pretty much this is the place for heavy music questions and sometimes heated and entertaining answers (in addition to the real meaty answers you get).

#1129363 - 08/24/07 02:58 AM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Musictuary Offline

Loc: Aurora, Illinois, USA
Like h2obuff I also read a lot but post very little. Although I am a very junior member, I visit PW very often almost everyday. There is so much to learn from the various posters. Many of the posters are very generous in sharing their knowledge and experiences in their various musical journeys. The world of the adult piano amateur is a very lonely one. It is truly a joy to be around (even if it is virtual and not in person or realtime) other persons who share similar interests and passions in music. PW certainly gives me a sense of community among similar musically minded persons.

Thanks Frank for hosting these forums.

Suzanne

#1129364 - 08/24/07 09:08 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wonderful to hear how grateful people are to Frank B founder of Piano World. The members have become my musical family. Chicken Soup for the Pianist and Piano Players Soul is how I would describe Piano World. Sandy B

#1129365 - 08/24/07 11:20 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
It brings a sense of community to an otherwise solitary craft, filling a long unfilled void.

#1129366 - 08/25/07 12:41 AM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Liberace agreed with you Akira... in his autobiography he said he had a choice as he was trained to be a concert pianist, but, it was much too lonely for him. He became an entertainer instead and one of the most successful ever as we know. Sandy B

#1129367 - 08/25/07 04:26 AM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I joined PW because I discovered there were a great many positive, dedicated and helpful people here. Now I read and post just about every day. It's a great way to take a break from practicing the piano.

#1129368 - 08/25/07 06:34 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tenuto agreed... Piano World members, in general, are very grateful people. We know we are so fortunate. We entered the beautiful world of piano playing and stayed there. The world can go mad around us and we stay focused on our piano and Piano World Forums. Who has time for negative behavior with all these notes to organize on these pianos around the world? We have a mission. Sandy B

#1129369 - 11/01/07 09:58 PM Re: How does Piano World inspire you and improve your world?
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I wanted to bump this topic up because there is a new college student (crazypianolover) on the "Pianist Corner" who would like to write about the PW community for one of his class assignments.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
Yesterday at 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
Yesterday at 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
Yesterday at 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160047 Topics
2350334 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission