2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rob O'D Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to bother you all with this but I'm having trouble tracking down some good instrumental piano music.

I like Jordan Rudess (of Dream Theater fame) because (technical prowess aside) his compositions are interesting and take a few listens before you get used to the structure of the tune.

I've always enjoy instrumental rock (heavy and light e.g. Dixie Dregs, Liquid Tension Experiment) so I'd love to dig up a few artists who are doing something similar with the piano. I'm sure are loads out there but I can't find a starting point.

Hope to hear back from one or two of you.
Thanks,

Rob.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Rob: For rock I always loved Roy Bittan's piano -- Springsteen, Bonnie Tyler, Meatloaf, etc... Some of my favs for rockin' out on are:

"All I Know" by Jimmy Webb (Garfunkel covered it)
"Thunder Road" by Springsteen
"Maybe I'm Amazed" by McCartney
"Hey Jude" and "Let it be"
"Classical Gas"
"The Load Out" and "Before the Deluge" by Jackson Browne

Since I don't know Jordan Rudess or LTE, and don't listen to Dixie Dregs, this stuff might not be of interest to you, but it works for me!

I'll look for the stuff you mentioned -- any particular favorites you might recommend for an intermediate amateur who plays chorded rock?

Best,
Steve

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
R
Rob O'D Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the recommendations. To be honest, I'm looking for more solo instrumental piano (or a trio like Esbjorn Svensson Trio).

Liquid Tension Experiment and Dixie Dregs are not really for the intermediate. Steve Morse was the guitarist band leader in the Dregs and he was John Petrucci's inspiration who formed Dream Theater and the Liquid Tension Experiment. All of these bands do alot of instrumental work and I love their tunes because they take a while for the ear to get used to the time signiture changes and the general complexity of the pieces.

Alot of people would argue that much of their music disappears up their own arses and I wouldn't argue against that point too much because alot of it boils down to personal taste.

Cheers Steve ...

Rob.

Hi,
Some of the very good keyboardists in my area that do rock music have websites and cd's, but few people are doing what jordan has been doing. Jordan is very talented and did amazing solo gigs for Korg at the NAMM show for years, don't know if he still is.
Other rock guys around here you might find interesting are David Garfield, Jan Hammer, and Lyle Mays. All of those guys play music other than rock, so you will have to sort through the discographies to find what you like. You could also see who is playing with Steve Vai and Sting these days and check their websites. I also heard that Brand X got back together a couple years ago and did some very good recording.

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission