Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1129994 - 02/03/09 01:42 PM Remembering music(aural memory)
morrism3571 Offline

Any tips beside repeated listening for memorizing sons. Not talking about lyrics but melody lines. It seems as though when trying to figure out a song(melody line) by ear I seem to sometime forget where the melodic phrase starts. I'm usually a 2 or 3 whole steps off sometimes. I had the same problem when I was taking singing lessons. My teacher told me to try and here the singers voice in my head. It seems to made an improvement. Anyone else have any idead. I have struggled for years to figure out simple 1 octave melodies for years. Now I'm finally to the point where I'm getting close

Piano & Music Accessories
#1129995 - 02/04/09 09:21 AM Re: Remembering music(aural memory)
Guy Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I had some training at the New England Conservatory in Boston, that has a method for exactly this, and the method is well-integrated into their entire program.

The "method" is jump-started by memorizing a series of short snippets of different pieces. You memorize, and eventually internalize, them by listening to recordings of them over and over. Eventually, you start singing along with the snippet, then you start to turn down the volume until it is just you singing. Singing back a melodic fragment is sort of like proof that you have internalized it. Then one takes it to their instrument, whichever one that might be.

Over time this becomes much easier to do, and it eventually gets to the point where you can hear something once and then immediately sing it back (perfectly).

In some ways, this is a mechanical process. It is a skill that can be practiced and developed. It doesn't happen automatically.

Guy

#1129996 - 02/06/09 10:39 PM Re: Remembering music(aural memory)
delirium Offline

transcribing is great for memorizing. You start with short phrases and after a while you can remember a whole lotta more.

#1129997 - 02/09/09 08:15 PM Re: Remembering music(aural memory)
monkmonk Offline

Loc: Osaka, Japan
I feel like a broken record here, but you gotta put in the time for Ear Training. Guy's post sounds interesting. But you also have to build a solid foundation of key centered hearing.

#1129998 - 02/10/09 08:13 AM Re: Remembering music(aural memory)
Guy Offline

Monkmonk -- the basis of the New England Conservatory method is ear training at it's fundamental core. I remember someone asking Ran Blake (my instructor) "when are we going to learn intervals?" (thinking that was what ear training is all about). Ran answered, "oh, you mean the specific skill of recognizing certain intervals?"

The point being that there is, in fact, a foundation of training one's ear. That foundation, for me at least, directly led to improved recognition, recall and memorization (internalization), which then led to easier transcribing.

Imagine this scenario: that you know a piece of music so well, and perhaps a solo so well, that you can sing it back note-for-note. Writing it down note-for-note is almost a routine exercise at that point. But the real value came from internalizing that fragment.

When I took that course, it was only the introductory course taught through their extension division. The method, though, is fully integrated into the NEC curriculum. For me, it was pretty easy to see how useful it could be.

Here's an article from Ran Blake:
Primacy of the Ear

Guy

#1129999 - 02/10/09 08:39 AM Re: Remembering music(aural memory)
monkmonk Offline

Loc: Osaka, Japan
Cool! \:\)
That sounds like a really great exercise. So it's taught as a foundation for other growth and development? I in no way doubt Ran Blake's approach. I only briefly met the man once, but he's inspired some people that I greatly admire.

It seems like you would also[/b] have to be doing some heavy key centered ear-training simultaneously to get the full benefit of that exercise.

Happy ear training!

#1130000 - 02/10/09 12:36 PM Re: Remembering music(aural memory)
pianojazz Offline

Loc: dearborn, mi
Another thing you can try is taking a simple song - one that you know the melody line by ear and playing the melody line in key of C. Then transpose it to another key - say up a 4th. Don't write it out, just do it by sound. As you get better at this, start taking more complex songs - songs that are not strictly diatonic.

#1130001 - 02/10/09 02:02 PM Re: Remembering music(aural memory)
Guy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by monkmonk:
So it's taught as a foundation for other growth and development?[/b]
Yeah -- I reread Primacy of the Ear this morning, and it outlines exactly what the foundation is all about, and it hints at where it goes from there.

I sort of did a gig with Ran a couple of years before I took his beginner's course (called Earobics). This was with a college jazz ensemble and Ran was hired as a guest artist (I was long out of college -- the band would hire "ringers" like me to fill out the band for concerts). We did a dress rehearsal where we were struggling through all sorts of charts of Ran's tunes. Ran kept saying to the director "play them the recording". It wasn't until I took his course that I understood why that was so important to him.

About a simple melody in all keys: my jazz mentor tells a story of one college where an ear training instructor would exempt any student from the first course if they could play "Happy Birthday" in all keys.

Guy

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (AlanSanDiego, anotherscott, Aviram, accordeur, 37 invisible), 1365 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157224 Topics
2309197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
soviet upright piano "LIRICS"
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission