Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1130598 - 07/17/07 05:46 PM Keiko Matsui
bergmanngirl Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hello, All!

Say, does anyone know if Keiko Matsui's music has been published? I'd love an MMO set to play along with her ethereal new-age band . . . but, doubt that would have many takers, so they'll probably never put that together. Anyway, I thought maybe someone knew of a resource that had published some of her work. I am in love with her piano stylings - so much more imaginative, and with some obvious classical training behind her, than standard new-age tinkling at the keys or regurgitated themes on a standard chord progression.

Thanks!!!

Piano & Music Accessories
#1130599 - 07/18/07 10:46 AM Re: Keiko Matsui
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
This is why I love this forum! I was unfamiliar with Keiko Matsui, so I looked her up in Rhapsody, and it seems they have most of her albums. I'm sitting here listening to "White Owl" right now and loving it. Very beautiful blend of new age and soft jazz.

I did a quick google of "Keiko Matsui piano sheet music" and found that she has FREE sheet music for a few of her pieces on her website:

Keiko Matsui sheet music

Some of it is scans of what appears to be her handwritten scores!

#1130600 - 07/18/07 08:52 PM Re: Keiko Matsui
bergmanngirl Offline

Monica,

THANKS!!!! I appreciate the link. I've been enjoying her music for a couple of years, and only with the recent acquisition of her "MOYO" disc did it occur to me that I might try to find sheet music. If you have the chance, take a listen to the first and second cuts from "MOYO" - they are "MOYO (Heart and Soul)" and "A Great Romance."

On Keiko's "DEEP BLUE" disc from several years ago, she has an amazingly beautiful, haunting song - can't recall the title right off hand - but, it is just gorgeous, and has always reminded me of a little Tarantela song I played as a young girl. It's playful, but in a minor key - so it has this almost gypsy feel to it. Both discs are fabulous, and some day I hope to complete my collection.

Thanks to your link, I looked up a few other facts, and see Keiko is playing in Seattle over the Labor Day weekend . . . just seven hours north of me. Hmmmmm. :-)

Thanks again!!!

#1130601 - 07/18/07 09:08 PM Re: Keiko Matsui
bergmanngirl Offline

Monica,

Just did a little more searching - and thought you might like the MOYO link to listen to Heart and Soul.

http://www.flashenhanced.com/keiko/

#1130602 - 07/19/07 07:22 AM Re: Keiko Matsui
Maxximum Offline

Loc: Istanbul
There was a book of her called "Compositions" but it is out of print. I couldn't find it anywhere

#1130603 - 07/19/07 11:14 AM Re: Keiko Matsui
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bergmanngirl:
Thanks to your link, I looked up a few other facts, and see Keiko is playing in Seattle over the Labor Day weekend . . . just seven hours north of me. Hmmmmm. :-)
[/b]
Sounds like a GREAT way to spend a holiday weekend, and you could even combine it with piano shopping and a trip to Classical Grands. \:\)

#1130604 - 07/19/07 01:13 PM Re: Keiko Matsui
txpianist Offline

I love the song "Forever Forever". I bought it from iTunes. There are a few videos of her playing in YouTube. I think (not 100% sure) she played on a Steinway "D" and it got to be one of the best sounding piano I've ever heard (IMO).

#1130605 - 07/19/07 01:21 PM Re: Keiko Matsui
Monica K. Offline

txpianist, "Forever Forever" is one of the pieces she gives the sheet music away free on her website. I downloaded it, and while it doesn't look to be an exact transcription of how she plays it on her album, it's pretty close.

#1130606 - 07/19/07 02:31 PM Re: Keiko Matsui
txpianist Offline

Thanks Monica. I downloaded that sheet music a while ago \:\) )

#1130607 - 08/09/07 09:44 PM Re: Keiko Matsui
krypt0 Offline

I'm a HUGE Keiko Matsui fan and I own nearly all her CDs! Two of her CDs - White Owl & Walls of Akendora - include bonus DVDs with concert footage and videos. The White Owl CD is particularly good - it's a live recording of a concert she did in Tokyo and the bonus DVD that's included contains the entire concert in all it's glory. Some of her best songs are performed here including "Wind and the Wolf", "Light Above the Trees", "Kappa", "Forever, Forever" and one of my absolute favorites, "Steps of Maya".

There's also a nice DVD concert available of a performance she put on for the Jazz Channel. It's only $9.99 at Amazon and it's great (although I personally think the White Owl concert is a bit better). The Jazz Channel DVD contains some nice extras including an interview with Keiko that I really enjoyed.

I love absolutely every track on the CD called 'Wildflower'! I spin this disc constantly. Her CD called 'The Piano' contains piano solos of many of her most popular songs including an absolutely beautiful version of 'Water Lily', a song she wrote for her father after he passed away.

I actually emailed Keiko a few months ago asking how I might purchase her sheet music book. I received a reply in broken English that indicated I had been added to her email list - I guess her agent (or whoever it was that actually responded to my message) didn't understand my question.

Regarding the pianos that Keiko plays - in her Tokyo concert (White Owl DVD), she was playing a Yamaha grand. In her Jazz Channel concert, she plays a Steinway. Keiko also has a Yamaha digital piano/synthesizer (I can't remember which model it was) that she plays on about half the songs during each concert (she switches back and forth playing some songs on the acoustic and others on the digital).

Anyway, I'm glad to see there are other Keiko fans on these boards. For those who haven't discovered Keiko yet, I highly recommend checking her out.

-krypt0

#1130608 - 08/09/07 10:09 PM Re: Keiko Matsui
new_2_piano Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi all,

I love Keiko Matsui's music, she is a marvelous pianist and composer, and have been listening to her smooth Jazz hits since 1998. I have purchased several albums. Her latest hit "Black River" is one of the top hits at Smooth Jazz CD 101.9 in New York City.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (Adam Coleman, accordeur, ando, 26 invisible), 1443 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153537 Topics
2250034 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
04/17/14 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
04/17/14 10:07 PM
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
04/17/14 09:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission