2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have been a saxophone player for 26 years and have played with the same band in manhattan for the past 12 years. I have limited piano experience but now want to take formal lessons. I know that most people start with classical and then work up to jazz. Although my theory is ok on saxophone, I realize that with the piano I will need to focus on chord structure more.

Are there teachers around that will start a new student on a jazz-based repertoire?

Bösendorfer 290
N
N
I think most people start with classical because 99.9999999999999% of music teachers aren't jazz musicians. Personally, I see no reason not to begin with jazz (modern or whatever).

nick

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
nicd,

You don't see any reason not to start with jazz, etc., because there isn't any. Jazz is a sophisticated genre, which can be as simple or as complicated as anyone could ever want.

DavidH

Hi,
Call David Budway, he is a great teacher in Manhattan and a lot of fun to be around. I'm sure the union has his number-he is the keyboardist for Tain Watts.

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor
N
N
Hi DavidH,

I couldn't agree more.

I played classical from 7-14 years old, and then hit the big boredom with Mozart etc. My music teacher only knew classical music, there were no non-classical teachers around, so I started teaching myself "modern" music (anything and everything non-classical).

I've had many discussions about the subject, and a common argument is that you shouldn't start with "jazz" as you need to do scales, arpeggios etc first. I try to explain that the scale of C is the scale of C in both classical and jazz, but many people seem to associate jazz with anarchy and free improvisation and can't accept that there is discipline behind jazz and that it is structured.

Another argument says you should learn "real" theory before learning jazz theory. Again, I'm not sure what the difference is (a crotchet isn't a crotchet? a 9th isn't a 9th?...). I agree that once you go deeper into the subject they diverge or become parallel paths leading to different places, but the roots are the same.

Another argument I recently heard is that sight reading is an essential discipline and you should master it before doing jazz. I couldn't agree more about sight reading - but why can't I sight-read non-classical?

nick

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think the most important thing for an adult learner is to be doing something you're excited about. If you're excited about jazz then play jazz.

But, as mentioned, the basic theory of any kind of music is the same. What is accepted stylistically (parallel fifths for example) might be different.

Haywood
-------------
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
hg,

That's it! And everytthing else is just teachers who don't know jazz!

DavidH

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Based on your recent posts I'd suggest
you start with classical rather than jazz, for
a number of reasons:

-A classical teacher would be much
easier to find.

-You've already been into jazz for so
many years that plunging into it anew
with a completely different instrument
may be too much of the same thing.

-A brand new Boesendorfer is just made for
classical.

-All jazz teachers started with classical
themselves.

-There are certain basics of playing that
you learn in classical that any jazz teacher
would expect you to have before you plunge
into jazz piano--and which he can't be
bothered taking the time to teach you.

-Classical lessons in the early stages are
fun, while jazz lessons have a "seriousness"
to them from the start, which isn't.

-And so forth.

K
K
Strictly speaking, I started with jazz... Let me quality by saying that I did come from a musical-ish background, and I worked on my own at learning piano (focusing on classical) prior to getting a teacher. However, my only formal piano instruction has been in jazz. Some of my teacher's students have a strong background of classical piano training, but others don't. Every once in awhile, my teacher will have me read something, and I'll not execute it exactly correctly, and he'll have to teach me something basic that someone with extensive classical training would have known, but it's not a big deal. We get past it, and I learn something in the process. As far as scales go, my teacher has me do scales (and Hanon) as part of my weekly work. If I'm missing something crucial that is going to hamper my ability as a jazz pianist because I didn't get a firm foundation in classical piano first, it's not apparent to me at this point. I worried a little about it in the beginning, and it's becoming less of a concern for me as I progress. Since I want to play jazz, I'm glad I found a solid jazz teacher. I want to progress in this genre as quickly (but solidly) as I can, and I think the route I've taken is working out very well.

S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I've started to look into finding a jazz-oriented intructor.

As far as the Bosie being made for classical, the CS series is voiced more towards the "American" sound which will make it fine for jazz. There are many jazz pianists who use Bosendorfers (granted, they're larger models).

Bösendorfer 290
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This teacher can help you with both jazz and classical: smile

www.rosscarnegie.com

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
-A brand new Boesendorfer is just made for
classical.
Or jazz...

-All jazz teachers started with classical
themselves.
Oh really? And you know this because...?

-There are certain basics of playing that
you learn in classical that any jazz teacher
would expect you to have before you plunge
into jazz piano--and which he can't be
bothered taking the time to teach you.
Can't be bothered??? What kind of sorry jazz teachers have you had?

-Classical lessons in the early stages are
fun, while jazz lessons have a "seriousness"
to them from the start, which isn't.
Wow! I guess I'd better get a refund. I always thought jazz was fun!!!

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I started my lessons in jazz and have never taken classical lessons. The biggest disadvantage that I notice in my experiance is that I still cannot read music. I can play pretty well and can read lead charts but set a score in front of me and I am hopeless. I don't know, but it seems to me that starting lessons in the classics would at least give you some reading skills. Besides giving you a different perspective. What's wrong with doing both? Find a teacher versed in both genres and learn both at the same time.

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission