Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
72 registered (AZNpiano, 36251, A Guy, Almaviva, accordeur, 17 invisible), 1204 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1131717 - 08/12/05 05:13 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Just a couple of comments. On our satelite TV we have a program called 'Performance' and from time to time they do some very interesting Jazz items. I caught one on Keith Jarret that brought up the situation where he had a very strange medical condition that took him some 2 years to combat. He has rehabilitated and recovered but it was very dramatic. I do like live video/DVD recordings of jazz pianists as they are inspirational to my own playing, which is completely by ear.

The other point is if anyone is keen to buy a set of 4 CD's of Bud Powell they are on offer at Amazon US location and hopefully in the UK too.

I'am afraid I missed his name on my list but should have had it on. He was said to have been able to copy Art Tatum's style and I do see what they mean as I played a tape from a radio program today mentioning that very subject. I had forgotten what he was like which is very remiss of me. Hope to get these Powell CDs.

Alan

Piano & Music Accessories
#1131718 - 08/13/05 10:34 AM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
dpvjazz Offline

Loc: phoenix az
Interesting observation but there are only four or so women named as favorites. I thought I would add some names that added to history of jazz piano.
1 Mary Lou Williams
2 Shirly Scott
3 Melba Liston
4 Nadine Jansen
5 Marion McPartland
6 Joanne Brackeen
7 Toshiko Akiyoshi
8 Carla Bley
9 Renee Rosnes
10 Diana Krall
Also I notice two players not mention but worth listening if you can find their music
Denny Zeitlin and Dodo Marmarosa. I remember watching my piano teachers hands as he played the blues and being astounded as he worked the keyboard. When I was younger I went to see Earl Fatha Hines and that guy had some long digits he was 80 when I saw him and his playing was wonderful. That brings up another point times change and so do favorites when i was young Fats Waller would have been on the lists as Fatha Hines, Count Basie and Duke Ellington. Check out Money Jungle with Max Roach Charles Mingus and the DUKE at the piano and then lets talk about Dukes lack of technique.

#1131719 - 08/13/05 05:20 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
 Quote:
Originally posted by dpvjazz:
Interesting observation but there are only four or so women named as favorites. I thought I would add some names that added to history of jazz piano.
1 Mary Lou Williams
2 Shirly Scott
3 Melba Liston
4 Nadine Jansen
5 Marion McPartland
6 Joanne Brackeen
7 Toshiko Akiyoshi
8 Carla Bley
9 Renee Rosnes
10 Diana Krall
Also I notice two players not mention but worth listening if you can find their music
Denny Zeitlin and Dodo Marmarosa. I remember watching my piano teachers hands as he played the blues and being astounded as he worked the keyboard. When I was younger I went to see Earl Fatha Hines and that guy had some long digits he was 80 when I saw him and his playing was wonderful. That brings up another point times change and so do favorites when i was young Fats Waller would have been on the lists as Fatha Hines, Count Basie and Duke Ellington. Check out Money Jungle with Max Roach Charles Mingus and the DUKE at the piano and then lets talk about Dukes lack of technique. [/b]
Danny Zeitlin is an interesting performer. I believe he's a psychiatrist by training and perhaps he still practices medicine, because he does tend to drop out of the scene for years at a time. If you are in a place where you can hear him perform, do make haste to get to this rare treat.

Women jazz players are also a rare commodity, and this is unfortunate. Here in the Denver area, we have a very talented keyboard artist, Ellyn Rucker who is at home playing with a 12 piece jazz band, or in a cocktail lounge.

I would venture to add another name to that list, Sarah Vaughn. I don't know if you've heard her accompany herself, but it can be great.

And don't forget Shirley Horn.

Until recently, I would not have included Diane Krall in your list, as I had heard only her latest effort singing old standards. I felt she was just another sex symbol trying to make it in a crossover world. Not so. I picked up a copy of her first solo recording at the library last month, Stepping Out. Nice album! Her playing exhibits excellent timing, tasty phrasing and touch, and she sings a bit like Carmen Macrae. I like her. It's a shame what they've done to her, though I'm sure it's put some big bucks in her bank account.

#1131720 - 08/14/05 10:27 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nobody likes Red Garland and Monty Alexander?

#1131721 - 08/14/05 10:41 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Denny Zeitlin is amazing. I've seen him several times.

As for women jazz players, I used to study with Joyce Collins, who is a very fine pianist in the Los Angeles area.

#1131722 - 08/15/05 01:35 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
ipgrunt Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rintincop:
Nobody likes Red Garland and Monty Alexander? [/b]
Red's great, but I wouldn't put him on my top 10 list. His playing, for me, is too repetitive and stylized--too many of the same Red Garland tricks heard on too many solos, I guess is my problem. Though some of those tricks, like harmonizing thirds in the left hand, are great ideas.

Again, Monty Alexander is another great player, but not in my top ten. I don't listen to him very much, probably because I'm a purist at heart (my favorite flavor of ice cream is vanilla), and his "innovations" with sound and instrumentation put me off.

Just my humble opinion--everyone has one and all have value. Thanks for bringing their names into the discussion.

#1131723 - 08/15/05 02:11 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
dpvjazz Offline

Both Red and Monty have solo books out there with some great arrangements as do alot of other players posted here. I had a chance to see Diana Krall twice and her concerts were some of the best I ever saw. Another cross over pianist not mention Andre Previn who has both feet in the classics and jazz. Who else in the classical arena has made a successful transition. dpvjazz

#1131724 - 08/15/05 06:05 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
ipgrunt Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dpvjazz:
Both Red and Monty have solo books out there with some great arrangements as do alot of other players posted here. I had a chance to see Diana Krall twice and her concerts were some of the best I ever saw. Another cross over pianist not mention Andre Previn who has both feet in the classics and jazz. Who else in the classical arena has made a successful transition. dpvjazz [/b]
Crossover is tough, and Previn is the best, hands down. I have a recording of Handel Sonatas made by Keith Jarrett. Surprisingly good stuff. Jazz players, at least those who haven't been trained classically, have trouble with their legato playing. Not so for Mr. J.

I've also heard a blistering rendition of the CPE Bach Solfeggio played by Bud Powell. While the performance is impressively virtuosic and gets a large hand from the club audience (in Paris, I believe), it sounds quite rough around the edges. It sounds too much like someone playing a classical "style", and not a real classical performance. Impressive, none-the-less.

#1131725 - 08/24/05 03:27 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Riddler,

Interesting thing about 'Tea for Two' with which I bore my wife and the family. And must have done, more so than any other number. So have left it more recently. The Art Tatum version is stunning, IMO.

Also talking of classical muscicians apart from piano. Stephan Grappelli persuded Yehudi Menuin (Spelling?) to play T-4-2 once, as he said he would like to try jazz.

It sounds a simple song but with the inevitable key changes in a jazz version it always becomes less than straight forward to me. But I get there ok.

Alan

#1131726 - 08/24/05 11:06 PM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
dpvjazz Offline

Yeah Ipgrunt I would love to hear BUD playing that. Saw Keith Jarrett live twice with the trio and I think I enjoy him in that setting the most. Talk about interplay. Just can't get in to his classical. Tea for two then what is the cut tune now?

#1131727 - 08/27/05 02:18 AM Re: Who are your favorite top ten jazz pianists?
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Piano is really my world - but wouldn't swop my Grappelli/Menuhin CD "Strictly for the Birds" for half the Gates Empire. There is special appeal in the enchantment of these two consummate violinists (from such different backgrounds) strutting their unique jazz improvisations through, amongst others, the likes of

Sweet Georgia Brown
A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square - Manning Sherwin
Laura - David Raksin
Lullaby of Birdland - George Shearing
Rosetta - EArl Hines
Skylark - Hoagy Carmichael
Sweet Sue - Victor Herbert
Bye Bye Birdland - Ray Hendersen

Glad the company approves of piano greats Ahmad Jamal and Teddy Wilson.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
3 minutes 19 seconds ago
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
Yesterday at 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160005 Topics
2349670 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission