2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 11 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1132068 10/22/05 11:22 PM
H
OP Offline
H
ok heres a thing thats been bothering me. how the heck do you make solos for jazz music? i can never get a straight answer and its bugging me. so if there anyone out there that can take time to explain it or give me a link to somewhere that will it would be very nice

Chopin
Hancock
Debussy
Charles

The greatest composers in the world
#1132069 10/23/05 10:35 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You listen a lot and emulate others. You learn a lot of tunes and get to know the patterns and melodic shapes that people use. You ornament and improvise around those melodies, learning how to use consonance and dissonance to manage the buildup and release of tension in a tune.

There are some things out there that will help you understand soloing. Many people like Aebersold play-a-longs. ( www.jazzbooks.com ) It's also very helpful to play in a big band. Many parts are written-out, and it can help you get an idea for what an improvised solo feels like.

Also, solo jazz piano is more difficult than trio, and trio is harder than quartet/quintet work. I always suggest to my students that they get ensemble experience right away - that way you get a chance to interact with other musicians.

I do a lot of exercises in my classes with improvising pitches to a set rhythm, playing back short phrases by ear, and improvising from one guide note to another.

Also, when learning how to do it, repertoire choice is important. Get comfortable with blues first, then move on to easier swing tunes and cool jazz. Save the fast bop for later. laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#1132070 10/23/05 11:00 AM
Kreisler hit the nail on the head.
The Jamey Abersold books have some useful information, and the key here is listening. Jazz chords aside, the solos are a mish-mash of different scales, depending on the tune, may times a modal scale works well, but mixing it up with other conventions...runs of minor thirds or whole tone scales....lots of other ways to break up the predictability of the scale. I often look at the structure of the chords and choose a scale which reflects the notes of the chords. As the chords change, so do the scales. This should help a ton...just don't play scales that contradict the harmonies of the chords.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx
#1132071 10/24/05 11:13 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

#1132072 10/25/05 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Hazard2010:
ok heres a thing thats been bothering me. how the heck do you make solos for jazz music? i can never get a straight answer and its bugging me. so if there anyone out there that can take time to explain it or give me a link to somewhere that will it would be very nice
In a nutshell, there are a few basic scales and chord progressions that most jazz tunes are built upon, and jazz improvisation involves using those scales as a pool of notes for weaving new melodies for a given tune.

You've been given the best advice here....listen.

Have fun,

-- ipgrunt

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
#1132073 10/26/05 08:26 PM
CSG Offline
ipgrunt's suggestion is the heart of it IMO.

Pramberger JP-185 Bubinga
Kawai CP155
Yamaha P-120
#1132074 10/27/05 12:55 AM
Z
Z
For starters, have a look at a book called "Jazz Keyboard Toolbox" by Bill Cunliffe, published by Alfred.

I use the "Jazz Piano Book" by Mark Levine to teach scale and chord theory.

Z
www.UpbeatMusicStudio.com

#1132075 10/27/05 05:46 PM
Originally posted by zorrodepiano:
For starters, have a look at a book called "Jazz Keyboard Toolbox" by Bill Cunliffe, published by Alfred.

Z
Mark's book is good. I too use the book and it has filled in quite a few gaps in my knowledge of jazz piano techniques. However, I've heard more than one experienced classical player complain that the book seems to begin a discussion in the middle, and cut it short before the end.

Mark also wrote a book titled the Jazz Theory book which has more material, but does not strictly focus on the piano. My advice would be to take a look at both books.

-- ipgrunt
#1132076 10/27/05 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ipgrunt:
[b] For starters, have a look at a book called "Jazz Keyboard Toolbox" by Bill Cunliffe, published by Alfred.

Z
Mark's book is good. I too use the book and it has filled in quite a few gaps in my knowledge of jazz piano techniques. However, I've heard more than one experienced classical player complain that the book seems to pick up the discussion somewhere in the middle, and cut it short before the end.

Mark also wrote a book titled the Jazz Theory book which has more material, but does not strictly focus on the piano. My advice would be to take a look at both books. [/b]

-- ipgrunt
#1132077 10/29/05 12:31 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally posted by Hobie:
just don't play scales that contradict the harmonies of the chords.
...unless you have a strong, innate sense of hearing linear harmonic counterpoint in a consistantly lyrical way!

#1132078 10/29/05 12:47 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
In a nutshell, there are a few basic scales and chord progressions that most jazz tunes are built upon, and jazz improvisation involves using those scales as a pool of notes for weaving new melodies for a given tune.

You've been given the best advice here....listen.

Have fun,

-- ipgrunt
I tend to view phrasing as paramountly significant, of equal importance to the individual components that compromise any linear stretch. The notes themselves each having their own life within the context of the phrase. Their own dynamic. It's this accentuation of dynamics that gives a "jazz" stretch its atypical propulsion. It's "swing", without resorting to "pushing" every other eight note.

Where you place the emphasis, on which note, will shape, then reshape your line, helping it evolve along an "instant composition" state of mind rather than a predictably patterned, cliched one.

The greater the dynamic control exercised of each individual note of a phrase, the more interest, punch, and propulsive energy the stretches will have.

#1132079 10/29/05 12:56 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
[b] For starters, have a look at a book called "Jazz Keyboard Toolbox" by Bill Cunliffe, published by Alfred.

Z
Mark's book is good. I too use the book and it has filled in quite a few gaps in my knowledge of jazz piano techniques. However, I've heard more than one experienced classical player complain that the book seems to begin a discussion in the middle, and cut it short before the end.

Mark also wrote a book titled the Jazz Theory book which has more material, but does not strictly focus on the piano. My advice would be to take a look at both books. [/b]
If you want to play "jazz", rather than simply read and then memorize a repertoire of book learned cliches (which results in patchwork playing), recordings are your superior choice. Listen to jazz. Not just pianists, but all instrumentalists. Pick the musicians that you like most. Start with the linear. Single lines. Simple solos, ranging from the ultra simple, for instance, from Bob James' "1-finger" solos on the CTI recordings to the other end of the spectrum, Lennie Tristano's, Lee Konitz's, or Warne Marsh's brilliant, ultra complex, arhythmically phrased 200+ note stretches:

http://members.aol.com/virtuosic1/music/TristanoTFTpg1

Listen, listen, listen! Start by scatting the lines. Not just the notes but most importantly, the phrasing as well. Once you can scat sing with the recording, sit down and play the line as you scat it. The same way, with all of the dynamics imparted.

After awhile, you'll find that the only difference between the stretches of Charlie Parker and JS Bach is the phrasing of the components themselves.

#1132080 11/03/05 05:51 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
In my case I became attracted to certain styles and as I go back right to 1945 or so when I started my jazz piano addiction, these styles are still my basis for inspiration.

You may like to listen until you find the style you like the most and try to copy that. Virtiosic1 has it wrapped up in his advice I think.

Just that all jazz pianists like to develop their own style I believe.

Best of luck.

Alan

#1132081 11/04/05 06:21 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally posted by swingal:
In my case I became attracted to certain styles and as I go back right to 1945 or so when I started my jazz piano addiction, these styles are still my basis for inspiration.

You may like to listen until you find the style you like the most and try to copy that. Virtiosic1 has it wrapped up in his advice I think.

Just that all jazz pianists like to develop their own style I believe.

Best of luck.

Alan
Alan, who are the players that were most influential in your development?

#1132082 11/06/05 12:15 PM
J
J
Originally posted by virtuosic1:
If you want to play "jazz", rather than simply read and then memorize a repertoire of book learned cliches (which results in patchwork playing), recordings are your superior choice. Listen to jazz. Not just pianists, but all instrumentalists. Pick the musicians that you like most. Start with the linear. Single lines. Simple solos, ranging from the ultra simple, for instance, from Bob James' "1-finger" solos on the CTI recordings to the other end of the spectrum, Lennie Tristano's, Lee Konitz's, or Warne Marsh's brilliant, ultra complex, arhythmically phrased 200+ note stretches:

http://members.aol.com/virtuosic1/music/TristanoTFTpg1

Listen, listen, listen! Start by scatting the lines. Not just the notes but most importantly, the phrasing as well. Once you can scat sing with the recording, sit down and play the line as you scat it. The same way, with all of the dynamics imparted.

After awhile, you'll find that the only difference between the stretches of Charlie Parker and JS Bach is the phrasing of the components themselves. [/QB]
Good advice.

May I ask what format the file in your link is? I get nonsense when I open it.
Thanks.

Love that #11!
#1132083 11/06/05 06:07 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
virtuosic1

The pianists that influenced me the most were;-

Teddy Wilson (I actually met him after a concert in York, England in c1968) A true gentleman..... just like his playing.

Erroll Garner, Also met him, another really nice guy. I play rather to his style but not at his amazing ability and such difficult keys.

The earlier Jazz 'greats' like Earl Hines, Fats, Tatum (though impossible to copy Art) with my ability.

I also like Ralph Sutton very much. Inspiring they all are but I have my limits and I just play to please myself.

I have to be happy and carefree, otherwise I lose concentration and my ear is not fully 'on the ball'. I have a fantastic love of the piano, always have. I want to get into the rhythm, be my own group, on my own! No distractions!

I see others giving advice, saying that you or they should listen to their mentors and I do beleive that's essential to those wishing to play jazz as newcomers. Of course modern jazz is a different situation and the styles are less easy to quantify in my opinion.

Anyhow, I play as I have said above, as best I can, probably combining a few styles.

Thanks,
Alan

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission