Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1132710 - 12/08/06 06:37 PM White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
HERE IT IS! Frank and Bing singing White Christmas!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzrLrS1tQ3k
I JUST MELT! (loudly)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1132711 - 12/09/06 01:10 AM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Christmas Song sung by Nat King Cole is another one of my Christmas Favs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_QnR-yj3SA

I hope others will chime in with their favorite Christmas and Winter Songs too... chime away y'all. I wanna hear some christmas clips by some great artists past or present. Especially any with nice piano playing.

#1132712 - 12/10/06 03:43 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok another old gem...
D. Bowie & B. Crosby doing Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Pu3FU7zCI

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfindmist:
HERE IT IS! Frank and Bing singing White Christmas!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzrLrS1tQ3k
I JUST MELT! (loudly) [/b]

#1132713 - 12/11/06 01:47 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
dpvjazz Offline

Loc: phoenix az
There are two christmas cds that have most of the tunes I like and they are arranged the way I would like to play them. Jazz to the World and Concord Jazz Christmas volumes 1 and 2. I find myself playing these a lot and still enjoy them. DPVJAZZ

#1132714 - 12/11/06 03:08 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That sounds like something I would like... I am going to look them up. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally posted by dpvjazz:
There are two christmas cds that have most of the tunes I like and they are arranged the way I would like to play them. Jazz to the World and Concord Jazz Christmas volumes 1 and 2. I find myself playing these a lot and still enjoy them. DPVJAZZ [/b]

#1132715 - 12/11/06 03:28 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Brian Setzer Orch on "You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch" the Grinch songs starts at around the 5:18 mark link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmS1Z6UwJaI

I am looking for a great recording of it with some nice piano playing on it... haven't found it yet but I know one is out there.

from the movie.... (listen for the piano playing in the background
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QYFDNktnqc

#1132716 - 12/11/06 03:39 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There are hundreds maybe thousands of "versions"
of White Christmas sung by many artists..but and here's what I want to know..how many Christmas songs are their really? diffrent artists sing the same songs over and over..but how many are they?
50,60, 70? does anyone know? Bob Newbie

#1132717 - 12/11/06 03:44 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The cartoon clip... that Grinch Song
Enjoy it at the link given here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eRjGfJ9K7M

#1132718 - 12/11/06 04:00 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think there is no way of telling... because so many Christmas songs (including the first ones, carols and chants) have been passed on down through the ages. There are some websites that are sonly about Christmas Songs. Some on all sorts of carols, hymms and such. Maybe more info could be found with a little digging on the web?
Interesting question.

Or maybe a forumite with some expertise in this area could offer some information on Christmas Carols and Christmas songs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Newbie:
There are hundreds maybe thousands of "versions"
of White Christmas sung by many artists..but and here's what I want to know..how many Christmas songs are their really? diffrent artists sing the same songs over and over..but how many are they?
50,60, 70? does anyone know? Bob Newbie [/b]

#1132719 - 12/12/06 12:34 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Today I shall submit Blue Christmas by the King of Rock N Roll; Elvis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spqt6GfTBS0

#1132720 - 12/12/06 12:38 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Have yourself a merry little Christmas. J. Garland. Enjoy the video at this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSrJfXEYbtE

#1132721 - 12/14/06 10:33 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
Codetta Offline

Loc: Chino Hills, CA
I happened upon a CD with carols arranged by Tom Howard called "Traditions of Christmas". In it was the most innovative and beautiful arrangement of "Carol of the Bells" for orchestra. It is so beautiful!

Private Piano Teacher
Member: Music Teachers' Association of California
Evaluator: Certificate of Merit
Organist/Pianist: Christ Lutheran Church, West Covina

#1132722 - 12/15/06 06:52 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
I'm sure all the jazz fans here like Vince Guaraldi's Christmas stuff. There's a stylish recording titled "Have Yourself a Jazzy little Christmas" that's been out for sometime. A few years back I picked up a Charles Brown disc titled Charles Brown's Cool Christmas that I we overplay every year.

There are so many. I think my favorite jazzy Christmas number is Nina Simone's Santa Baby, recorded back in 1953. Nat Cole's The Christmas Song is another great--it wouldn't be Christmas without hearing that great arrangement at least once.

When I was a kid, my parents had a recording titled "The Night Before Christmas" by Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians. I'm not a big fan of that 40s jazz chorus style in general, or of the famous electric blender entrepreneur and his Pennsylvanians for that matter, but as a wee youngster, my head filled with sugarplums, I did enjoy that LP. I haven't found it on the CD racks over these many years, but I'm still looking. It's lost to antiquity along with other treasures, like a 78 rpm recording of the Three Stooges singing All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth that I seem to remember.

But then, the Spike Jones version is for me, the only authentic reading of that particular tune.

Of course, back then we suffered through the December chill without the seasonal bliss of hearing Elmo and Jesse's, Granma Got Run Over By a Reindeer and Jingle Bells by the Barking Dogs.

Here's to the good old days.

#1132723 - 12/15/06 07:02 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
I'm not a massive fan of Christmas, even less so the music. But the one song, the ONLY song that truely gets me in the mood:

Mariah Carey - 'All I Want For Christmas Is You'

\:\)

#1132724 - 12/17/06 10:35 AM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Euan;
I saw a link of Mariah C.'s "All I Want For Christmas" video. I'll see it I can fetch it for you.

I am now looking for "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" sung by Ella Fitzgerald (who else would I choose... I love this recording).
-----------------------
OT:
To anyone who may have wondered why I have been so quiet lately. The state of volcanoes where I live in.... also has a new distinction of HAVING THE WORSE WEATHER IN THE US! We have been having enough rain to make us consider building an ark; and new rainfall record was set this past November 2006.

But now my area has been hit with a huge windstorm with gale force winds. On Thursday night before the Seahawk game on National TV... a squall passed through that I thought was the storm the forecasters worried about. Branches were breaking off the fir trees so I decided it was best to stay home rather than go to a dress rehearsal for the Mozart Requiem concert.

Good decision to skip the dress rehersal as though there was a bit of calm after the first squall; the big windstorm hit and wrecked chaos all over the place. We have trees down on some roads at almost 1 per mile. Power lines down all over. Some traffic signals remain to be repaired. We personally lost a few shingles off the roof, but our house didn't have any trees fall on it. So far 6 people have died as a direct result of this windstorm.

And nearby our house a tall Douglas Fir fell on top of a big power line; and hung precariously over the road (a picture of this even made national TV; I didn't get to see the photo as our power was off about 24 hours).

About 350,000 folks in this state "of volcanoes"
are still without power since Thursday night and the temperatures are below freezing at this time.

The double header 250 anniversary Mozart Requiem concert/ Christmas music was a sellout but about 20-30% didn't make it into the concert hall the other night.

I am not feeling well today and I am getting dizzy and nauseated so I will be offline for awhile again... but thought it would be nice to stop on by the PW and say hello this morning.

I really missed playing with the new computer... and missed the DVR. I missed the hot food. And being able to have a hot shower. It has been a trying week and I feel so out of the loop; only having the radio and the newspaper to catch up with the news. I do believe electricity is one of the greatest things ever to be discovered and used... I don't know how the pioneers managed to get by with the cold and darkness; without going crazy.

I got to go offline again; I am feeling pretty sick at the momment; and I have a 2 hour gig to tomorrow so I should be resting. I hope others will find some cool christmas links to post on this thread...

I am hearing this now...

Ella singing....
"The snow keeps snowing; the wind keeps blowing... but I will weather the storm.
What do I care how much it will storm;
I've got my love to keep me warm...."

#1132725 - 12/17/06 10:49 AM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just threw up ... I am going offline again.
Maybe somebody else could find my a link to that tune.

I did find this though...

http://www.theguitarguy.com/ivegotmy.htm

I'll be back when I feel better.
Bye for now.

#1132726 - 12/17/06 11:35 AM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
In my book it has to be:-

Fats Waller singing and playing 'Jingle Bells'

Alan

#1132727 - 12/17/06 11:09 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I wish I could hear the Fats Waller Jingle Bell tune.

\:\( I ended up the ER today after I threw up earlier... and I finally feel well enough for a short trip on the web. I needed a little fix so I post a bit tonight and get some more rest.
I really missed the PW. It is good to be back here again. I am now a big fan of ELECTRICITY; and big trees in the wind make me queasy and nervous.

Cha Cha! :2hearts:
(Oh, that's another board)

#1132728 - 12/18/06 02:45 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's one more for the favorite Christmas Videos thread....
Trans-Siberian Orch.
Christmas Rock Canon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9DmSfufSQ

Full Version with lyrics. TSO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psd19YV8-Ww

Same song... sound quality better on it though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL24H2lXTo4

#1132729 - 12/18/06 02:56 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I had Mia fetch this up for you... Euan. ;\)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSL-kmKzCPU

This tune is really fun to sing with... has that 50's feel to it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
I'm not a massive fan of Christmas, even less so the music. But the one song, the ONLY song that truely gets me in the mood:

Mariah Carey - 'All I Want For Christmas Is You'

\:\) [/b]

#1132730 - 12/18/06 03:05 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What? No "Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer" way back then. How on earth did you ever manage without that silly merriment! ;\)

Well... then here is the video that played for 18yrs on MTV.... just for "grunt" \:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPaGQEskSKM

Quote:
Originally posted by ipgrunt:
Of course, back then we suffered through the December chill without the seasonal bliss of hearing Elmo and Jesse's, Granma Got Run Over By a Reindeer and Jingle Bells by the Barking Dogs.

Here's to the good old days. [/b]

#1132731 - 12/18/06 03:15 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

O Tannebaum.... Vince Guar. Version
youtube video cartoon link at...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw6h4mZO1oU&mode=related&search=

#1132732 - 12/18/06 03:20 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Golly! I found the whole C. Brown Christmas Cartoon over at the tube.. awesome Vince Guar. soundtrack. 25 minute show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVENmQqQyx4&mode=related&search=

#1132733 - 12/18/06 03:51 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Behold! The #1
B. Crosby singing....White Christmas in B&W vd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL_0i-iWEaE

#1132734 - 12/18/06 04:05 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmus 1953
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqIM_bPTws
Cute kiddie Christmus tune.

#1132735 - 12/20/06 11:33 PM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Another Christmas music gem...
Karen Carpenter "Merry Christmas darling"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0_W8dJptI

#1132736 - 12/21/06 06:10 AM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
brummell Offline

Loc: Illinois
Ave Maria

#1132737 - 12/21/06 10:56 AM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Re: Ave Maria
Which one?
There are at least 8 I know of...

#1132738 - 12/21/06 11:04 AM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
Grandma got run over by a reindeer
is one of my favorites.
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#1132739 - 12/21/06 11:10 AM Re: White Christmas is #1; What is your favorite tune for Christmas?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" tune...
I'll see what I can fetch up...
LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (anotherscott, A Guy, alfredo capurso, accordeur, ando, 33 invisible), 1312 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158402 Topics
2326170 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission