2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally posted by Jeanne W:
Originally posted by Innominato:
[b] ...on the internet you are generally speaking expected to show the same degree of politeness that you would show to acquaintances, to people that are not part of your inner circle.

That's a good point, Innominato. I certainly have been guilty of saying some nasty things my own self (opinions are opinions, after all laugh ) but those are not the kinds of things I would post on a public internet forum, where others could get hurt and angry.

I guess that has something to do with knowing what things we can express in our inner circles without fear of offending anyone - knowing where and when such talk is and is not generally acceptable and hurtful to others - and caring about others.

Something else I've been thinking about that pertains to this - people have different levels of sensitivity. Some of us here on PW may read someone's comments and think "MAN, THAT'S RUDE!" but just keep going and think not much about it - be able to tune it out. Others of us have a very hard time with stuff like that, we get REALLY angry and it sticks in our craw.

Thanks to everyone who has joined this discussion. It's been going on for a while and is getting kind of "old", but if anyone has something more to contribute, I hope you'll post, no matter what side your on. I think it helps for us to try to understand each other a little better.

smile

Jeanne W [/b]
It never gets acknowledged in anything other than a scornful way, but a bit of edginess is more interesting than silky smooth social etiquette, if more potentially offensive. This is a facet of human nature that won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I don't think it's a shameful thing.

Each social circle can ostracize as they see fit. Some do so more easily and gladly than others. ("I would never invite that person to a dinner party!" is a pretty common thing for this sort to say.)

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I've never felt the need to criticize a member here related to any question of music.

This person in question has been especially accurate in defining the way of 'playing by ear'is done, in the true meaning of the term. He responded to my explanation perfectly. This required a lot of piano understanding, that I have not come across on this website before.

His film of him playing convinced me of his talent.

Plain speaking is not always correctly understood. I for one like it and can take it usually.

Swingal

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Horace:
[QUOTE]It never gets acknowledged in anything other than a scornful way, but a bit of edginess is more interesting than silky smooth social etiquette, if more potentially offensive. This is a facet of human nature that won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I don't think it's a shameful thing.
Originally posted by Swingal:
[QUOTE]
...Plain speaking is not always correctly understood. I for one like it and can take it usually."
Hi, Horace, Swingal, thanks for posting. Couple of questions for you, if you're still around these parts.

Horace: I enjoy a good debate with a bit of sparring myself. Talking back and forth challenging each other and explaining one's point of views makes for an interesting discussion. I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, though. Can you explain what you mean by or give us an example of what you consider "a bit of edginess"?

Hi, Swingal. I have the same kind of question about what you said. Can you explain what you mean by "plain speaking" or give us an example of it?

And now a question for you both. What kinds of talk would you consider to be unnacceptable on a public discussion forum?

Hey, I guess I'm challenging you guys, but I hope it's coming across as intended - in a civilized, respectful way. laugh

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally posted by Jeanne W:

Horace: I enjoy a good debate with a bit of sparring myself. Talking back and forth challenging each other and explaining one's point of views makes for an interesting discussion. I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, though. Can you explain what you mean by or give us an example of what you consider "a bit of edginess"?
Well, for instance, I thought it was appropriate when whats-his-name (the guy that was kicked off who started this whole line of discussion), when his assertions about his ability were challenged, told his attackers to either be quiet or bet something meaningful that he can't. But I think that sort of attitude is very disconcerting to some.

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, Horace:

I've been thinking off and on about what you said. I agree with you, up to a point.

As I recall, I thought Disciple was treated harshly when he was being challenged. And I don't find anything offensive about someone challenging others by proposing a "bet". I think things escalated though and got out of hand and eventually went over the line. That's my recollection of it.

I wish we could all get along with one another.

Thanks for posting.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
K
K
Its a bit boring now he's gone, though, isn't it?

Steinway K - Kurzweil PC 88(wrecked and sold for spares) - Yamaha S90 - rhodes 760 - korg wavestation- Hammond XK1 etc..
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Dear Jeanne W.

Sorry to be so long in answering your question. I have been up to all sorts of fun and games like enjoying my 80th Birthday. Missing the topic, as I thought it had run its course. And then Easter Holidays and relatives visiting.

Plain Speaking,to me means telling the truth and being 100% genuine in the content. I dislike lies and signs of envy,for whatever reason the writer may have. Usually a lack of self belief.

Some parts of England have more plain speaking than others, as a general trend. 'Bluntness' maybe another way of describing such language.

Politicians are often skilled at making statements which contain a great deal of misleading remarks and far from plain speaking.

I firmly believe that blatant rudeness, swearing and other forms of abuse on Web-sites language, is 'not on' indeed it shows a lack of respect to someone they have never met.

I have no great experience of the trends in the U.S. I have spent far too shorter time in your country. Basically, New York, New England and New Orleans.

As I did say, 'Disciple' formed a very precise definition of my way of piano playing by ear, which was only the second time anyone has. I also saw proof of his ability by a 'youtube' example.

I hope this helps you see what my meaning of Plain Speaking is or as we sometimes say Plain English.

Kind regards,

Alan (swingal)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission