2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
sturm Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello group.

I'm new the board, jazz, and fairly new to piano also.

For the last year I've been doodling around at the piano in my spare time. And during the holidays I bought a couple CDs to see what jazz was all about. One was by this guy named Monk and another by someone named Ellington( it wasn't until recently that I would have seen the sarcasm in this).

Anyway, I really love this stuff. And I'd liked to take piano practicing and playing a little more seriously.

I planned on getting a book by Mehegan, and it seems Abersold is recommended by a few of you, but how do I find a good jazz/blues instructor(what instruction qualities should I expect)?

By the way, I'm in Houston, Texas if anyone has a recommendation.

This leads to a second question,
Any tips on where to hear live Jazz played in Houston?

-Thanks
Sturm

G
G
That would be Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington.

As far as finding a teacher, I'd advice to find someone who is an active musician -- have a jazz trio/quartet, plays lots of gigs, plays solo piano gigs, etc. He should be able to play jazz standards without sheet music, and in different keys.

Just a little advice, hope that helps!

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
http://www.orangetreesamples.com
Mehegan's stuff is pretty theoretical, so be ready for that. I have all four of his series. Not to say don't get it, but there may be a few books more accessable than his if you're new to jazz. There is a book by Mark Levine that's pretty good, but I can't remember the name off the top. Maybe do a search...

Since you live in Houston, you should not have problems finding a good teacher. I live in the Middle-of-Nowhere, Maryland and there are some great jazz and classical teachers here. Some good places to start looking are music stores and universities.

But what gregjazz says is pretty much what I've fouund out. A working musician is going to be more in touch with what you need to know.

-----------

"Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage."

-- Winston Churchill
S
sturm Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks, for the input.

Levine has "The Jazz Theory Book" and "The Jazz Piano Book", I assume you are talking about the latter.

Again, Thanks.

G
G
Originally posted by sturm:
Thanks, for the input.

Levine has "The Jazz Theory Book" and "The Jazz Piano Book", I assume you are talking about the latter.

Again, Thanks.
Yeah, those books are really great!

Oh and don't forget to pick up copies of all the New Real Books -- especially volume one and two. smile

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"The Real Book Sicxth edition" trumps the Sher "New Real Books (Vol. 1, 2, 3, 4)"

"Hal Leonard has just released a clone of the original old bootleg Real Book and now calls it "The Real Book" Sixth Edition. It comes close to cloning the the original "old" Real Book.
The complete song list will be available online at www.halleonard.com.

Volume One of The Real Book is thought to have been created in the early 1970s by students at an Berklee college, who loaded the song list with cream-of-the-crop gems, but completely disregarded copyright law, paying no royalties to writers.

Many features of their fake book appealed to working musicians: songs with no page turns; the large, handwritten type easy to see on dark stages; the evenly spaced four-to-a-line measures; and the straightforward, sight-readable notation. Although illegal, the songbook flourished, with photocopies sold worldwide from car trunks, basements and beneath the counters of music stores. Since then, the various editions of The Real Book, Volume One – now numbering five – have become arguably the bestselling songbooks of all time; they are a mandatory purchase for first-year jazz students, and the lingua franca for gigging musicians.

Hal Leonard has been working on The Real Book, Sixth Edition for two years. The Business Affairs department has successfully licensed the majority of songs in the original edition. The few omissions of more obscure tunes are due in most part to the inability to locate the copyright holders. Dropped tunes have been replaced with exceptional standards that belonged in the book in the first place.

Editorially, project leader Jeff Arnold has painstaking reviewed all of the music in the new book, correcting errors from the original, and ensuring the most accurate, Real Book-style arrangement of every song. Hal Leonard has gone to great lengths to retain all of the stylistic elements of the previous editions, duplicating the handwritten notation, cover design, paper stock and binding.
Comments Hal Leonard Chairman and CEO Keith Mardak, “Music dealers have been clamoring for a legit version of this book for decades, because it is simply what musicians want. Although we’ve published many jazz fake books through the years, none of ours, or other publishers’, has been able to supplant The Real Book. We are very proud to be the company to bring this book to market, and the song writers and owners we work with are elated to be finally getting paid for the use of their compositions.”

Hal Leonard will bargain-price The Real Book, Sixth Edition at a musician-friendly $25, which is less expensive than the error-ridden, illegal version. The fake book will include a preface from the editors, a table of contents alphabetical by song title, and the finest 400 jazz songs ever assembled.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
T
TGG Offline
T
Sturm,

I'm in Houston and I study jazz piano with Gary Norian. He teaches his lessons out of The Piano Store at Westheimer and Kirby. His number is 281-240-1284. I recommend him without hesitation.

There are bunches of places to listen to jazz in Houston. Cezanne's on Montrose...The Magnolia Hotel downtown, Tommy's Steak and Seafood on Westheimer; Perry's on Bay Area Blvd. Bunches of places. There used to be a website called "JazzHouston" that listed all the venues. I can't find it now. You might Google it and see what you find.

Sorry about the slow response...haven't checked this forum for a while. TGG

G
G
Originally posted by rintincop:
"The Real Book Sicxth edition" trumps the Sher "New Real Books (Vol. 1, 2, 3, 4)"
Eh, I'm a Sher New Real Book fan myself. I have a few of Hal Leonard's fake books, but they are ridden with mistakes. (not to say that their "The Real Book Sixth Edition" has any errors in it, though)

I dunno. I prefer using fake books only as reference. In the end, you're going to memorize the songs anyways. Ideally you shouldn't be bringing any fake books to gigs and just have all the tunes memorized.

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
S
sturm Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I appreciate the info TGG.

As you can see, I'm not on that frequently either.

Thanks

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission