Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1133931 - 12/28/04 07:29 AM Musical categories beyond classical or not
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
I hope this hasn't been discussed at length elsewhere, so here goes..

How does everyone define various styles of music? I live in Japan (am from the US) and most of the time I talk about music in Japanese, so I sometimes have a hard time describing music in English if it's not one of the standard categories, like popular, jazz, blues, rock, ragtime, etc.

For example, what would you call the music of George Winston? How about the piano music of Sakamoto Ryuichi (composer for movies like Last Emperor)? Popular piano? Easy listening? (not one of my favorite terms) Or would you categorize this music as classical (modern classical? popular classical? now I am confusing myself!

What other terms am I forgetting? Are there other artists/styles that you think of as being ambiguous and hard to define?

Piano & Music Accessories
#1133932 - 12/28/04 10:37 AM Re: Musical categories beyond classical or not
Alanjazz. Offline

Loc: England
Perhaps Latin American is a category but rarely played on piano as a solo. Remember the rhythm is the defining part. I've not heard either of the artists you mention. Composing music for the movies is rather special and is known as film music and stands alone with that, I believe.

Of course you may well overlap such definitions as a lot depends on who is writing it and the purpose, such as stage productions which feature music.

Alan

#1133933 - 12/28/04 09:48 PM Re: Musical categories beyond classical or not
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh, and on another topic I noticed "new age" how could I have forgotten about that term! No one uses it hear in Japan, but there's a category that's called "healing music" (which I always think is used very sloppy to include widely differing styles of music), but I think "new age" in English speaking countries would be considered "healing" in Japan.

Anyway, back to film music, how about Michael Nyman (I believe that's his name) who did the music for the movie The Piano (among others). Would his music be considered only film music? (in Japan it's called healing). Is film music (that's composed by people who are still living) ever called classical?

Sorry to be so persistent, but have been thinking about genre names and wondering what other people use.

#1133934 - 12/28/04 10:02 PM Re: Musical categories beyond classical or not
SusieQ Offline

Loc: Bellevue, Washington
There is also music called "Country and Western" and another called "Blue Grass"

I don't think material written today would be considered classical, even through it would be played that style.

There must be many types of music that are regional .

#1133935 - 12/29/04 10:23 AM Re: Musical categories beyond classical or not
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
This really is a good topic, I am glad you started it.

While I enjoy playing classical piano music I grew up on "rock and roll" and I find myself gravitating toward some of that music.

While searching for music I have come upon the work of certain prolific song writers. Billy Steinberg is one that I find interesting. He wrote or co-wrote a lot of music which I always thought was written by the band performing the music. "I Drove All Night" is a good example. Steinberg and Tom Kelly wrote this for Roy Orbison but since Orbison did not have a record label at the time only a demo was made. Cyndi Lauper ended up recording it as did Celine Dion. Steinberg and Kelly have wrote a lot of very, very popular songs. They are very specialized in what they do. You will also find song writers / composers that specialize in just doing film. The music in a film is very important and these people have their specialized areas depending on what type of film is being made. I have seen documentaries on TV that focus on the work of these composers. After meeting with the director and producers of the film they not only watch the film before composing but they will screen the film as the orchestra or band is recording so that they get the coloring and timing just right. This is a very specialized work.

A visit to your local library may help you research this topic. Trade magazines for the film industry may also give you feedback. I will post a link below which will also help you research film. The film industry is fascinating in that to produce a successful film many variables are involved. Successful film production involves the contribution of many very specialized people, the music director is certainly one of the most important.

www.imdb.com

Regards,
Steve

anon

#1133936 - 12/30/04 06:16 PM Re: Musical categories beyond classical or not
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Film music is a really specialized thing isn't it! And really interesting how music is matched to scenes etc. But there are some soundtracks that are really nothing without the film, while others really stand on their own (even though they were originally designed specifically for a movie). It seems limiting to me that this kind of music must always be classified as film music, and not just be called classical or whatever. But maybe I'm too loose with calling things classical..

#1133937 - 12/30/04 06:30 PM Re: Musical categories beyond classical or not
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Very true. Music can mean different things to different people. It can touch one person's soul and leave another person cold. Maybe that is part of the beauty of it.

anon

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (36251, ando, Alux, anotherscott, 32 invisible), 1200 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153600 Topics
2251201 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
04/20/14 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission