2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I imagine the White Board is of use to learn to play a particular piece of music using a different means than the conventional way. It does not seam to teach anything about playing from memory, or by ear. Yes, it will develop the ear method by a different route.

My interpretation of 'by ear' is to memeorise the piece of music you wish to play as if you are singing it. Then the brain is recalled at the piano and you know what keys give the sounds that the song requires from your subconscious brain. The piano keyboard octave must be memorised to let the brain and fingers connect to the right notes. The white board only tells you the name of the note, correct? Or I suppose gives you the sequential fingering too. That would be OK. That is like someone teaching you the notes to play but until you master the piano keyboard in your memory that is not very useful.

swingal

I like the Shawn Cheek videos. He pulls some good licks down into their simple most form. If I had to explain them to someone, my best offer is:

MONKEY SEE - MONKEY DO.

No slur intended. I can sight read. But I would have never learned/memorized Sweet Home Alabama without Shawn and that white board.

With that said: He is no substitute for written sheet music.

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ivory, it took me some time to realise that there are more than one way to play the piano. Printed music is how I work best but I also am able to pick up on songs by ear also. The big drawback with playing by ear for me however is that each time you visit the piano you add a different touch to a song.

I'm not proud. I'll use any..... and every tool I can find to enhance my piano journey.

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.
R
R
I'd like to add my two cents on this. I was classically trained and I'm a good sight reader. Now as an older adult I'm trying to learn to play by ear, ie, without written music, in pop/folk/etc styles and it's not easy. The problem is the rhythms. The notes, chords, and technical demands in most pop and folk piano styles are not difficult, but the rhythms are, for me at least, very challenging. And here is where I find the big lack in online piano instruction--in breaking down, or slowing down, how to play the rhythms in these different styles. I think the reason is that what's going on rhythmically is complex and not easy to convey.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dannac:
but if you get headaches from blowing a trumpet, you are doing something wrong ... probably not using air/breathing correctly.

Trumpet is physically demanding now ... but it should not cause pain.
This is absolutely true. It's a well known scientific fact that throughout history trumpets have been carefully designed and painstakingly modified to solely give the listeners at close quarters a migraine headache while the trumpeteer remains quite comfortable.
If the sound causes the player pain as well as the listeners, something is horribly wrong. wink

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
To rhymes and chymes,

I think you need to concentrate on building up your memory of the music you wish to play. You need to have rhythm in your subconscious brain. This would come by lots and lots of listening to the music you wish to play. Get rhythm in your whole being, morning noon and night! Sounds easy, but I realize that practical daily events preclude that way, sometimes.

As it is impossible to know what any other human being can hear,feel or taste we can only make suggestions based on our own brain.

I have never learned music in any form. I cannot sing a note but I know all the sounds on all the keys in a piano octave and semi-tones too. But I have been playing since age about 3. My mother showed me how and taught me how to relate the keys on the piano with a sound in my head. That was 78 years ago.

Life's vagaries and needs preclude the massive piano input that develops in the subconscious brain facility. Therein lies the answer to building the memory and fingering that such an instrument requires to master.

It is vital to have rhythm in your soul. I suggest you listen to the rhythms and beats so much that you find yourself beating out sounds both in your memory, humming when possible, tapping your fingers as often as possible and so forth.

All in all, it is your whole being that must digest the music you want to play so keenly, thereby have a store of that music tucked away in the brain, awaiting your recall. We all have that ability I believe.

As an aside, I also play-along with CD,s which is a good way of learning by ear. It is the way to enable the subconscious memory and recall to function. Though I think some people have difficulty in using such a brain facility,we are not all wired up the same.

Back to 'rhymes and chymes' questions. I would think you can only try getting some score to teach you the basic beat that gives the left hand rhythm. Or listen or watch someone playing and see what the beat is like to play. I understand this is not simple any more that I find in reading music which is impossible for me.

Alan (swingal)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's a well known scientific fact that throughout history trumpets have been carefully designed and painstakingly modified to solely give the listeners at close quarters a migraine headache while the trumpeteer remains quite comfortable
laugh laugh laugh

P
P
Hello everybody,

I have signed up for the lessons of Shawn Cheek but I am not able to download the video lessons to my pc. Is it possible to download the video clip to pc?

Could you please give me a hint to do it?

Thanks,

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Quicktime .....you need the pro version.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Just a note of clarification re: Shawn Cheek and "playing by ear."

I've looked at some of his videos, and I agree it's a pretty decent way to learn a particular song... but OP should understand that the white board has nothing to do with teaching you to play by ear. The "playing by ear" part is done by Shawn before the video. He listens to recorded music, picks out the notes (he has perfect pitch apparently), and writes them down on the white board to teach you in the video. The white board is simply a different notation system, writing down the names of the notes instead of using standard notation.

Advantages IMO: easy way to learn a particular song; more accessible for those without good reading skills on a grand staff; and also... good arrangements (this is of no small importance; because Shawn picks out the parts by ear, he usually gives you exactly what the artist is playing on the recording, or at least very close, and that's sometimes hard to find in sheet music).

Disadvantages: it is indeed "monkey-see, monkey-do." You're going to learn a song, but not much else in the way of pianistic skills; if you learn to read standard notation instead of relying on his white board notation, the whole world of music is open to you instead of the few songs he decides to transcribe.

Final note: the video described by OP seems to be different, where Shawn actually explains to you the process he uses to pick out the notes and transcribe them... but that has nothing to do with the white board notation and the bulk of his videos. I haven't seen this particular video, but I also doubt it's really teaching you how to "play be ear," but more probably teaching you how to transcribe from a recording (which is of course related, but not the same thing).

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission