Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1134585 - 02/02/07 10:43 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
thanks, virtuosic! You are very reassuring. Last night I played around with the sections I want to be able to play (the beginning of Part I and the absolutely sublime section in Part I that begins at about the 7:30 mark), and you're right, they don't seem insurmountable, especially if I consider some of the runs and ornamentations as 'optional.' \:D Maybe I'll try to cobble together an abridgement that is feasible, or maybe I'll wait a couple of years until I've picked up enough technique to tackle it more meaningfully. [/b]
If you are able to play a Mozart Sonata, Bach Invention, Prelude, or Fugue, and certainly if you can play any of the Beethoven Sonatas, even if not up to prescribed tempo, you can play 99% of what Jarrett did at that Koln Concert unabridged, now, not later. Maybe some of it not quite up to tempo, but with enough certainty to do the music justice.

Stop practicing scales and arpeggios for awhile and use linear excerpts from the book for practice drills instead. You'll enrich your melodic language, be playing music instead of practicing scales, and gaining more and more insight into Jarrett's music which will allow you to master it and commit it to memory with that much more facility.

Jarrett's melodies are very simple, yet elegant. It's the way in which he embellishes these melodies, adding to their elegance, not distracting from them, that makes him Keith Jarrett. Believe me, there's as much to learn from Jarrett's musical performance here as there is from analyzing and playing any Classical piece, the music here is that good. Miss out on the embellishments, the totality, and you miss out on the entire point. Play it all. You can. Baby steps at first. Then eventually you'll be able to establish a flow and tempo, of course relying sometimes on as much tempo rubato as you need to fit all of the notes in that you can't at strict tempo being perfectly acceptible. Though now committed to paper, the nature of this music is improvisatory not compositional, right?

http://d.turboupload.com/d/1410287/R1_0010.MP3.html

A downloadable file with examples of my jazz improvising (Accompaniament on Fender Rhodes, lead lines on Acoustic piano):

http://d.turboupload.com/d/229801/R1_0001.MP3.html

Piano & Music Accessories
#1134586 - 02/04/07 12:45 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
lungfish Offline

Loc: nyc
although not exactly 'new age'
i highly recommend "Ambient 1: Music for Airports" by Brian Eno
very soothing first track. ambient says it all.

#1134587 - 02/04/07 03:21 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Good morning, Monica,

'Never say Never' is a good motto. I firmly believe that there is a corollary between practice hour numbers and acheivement in piano playing.

Jarrett is not the simplest musician to copy in my view. But I would take a great deal of notice of that post above of Virtuosic1.

I have no Jarrett recordings I don't think. So must try and get a DVD or CD any suggestions please?

Alan

#1134588 - 02/04/07 01:40 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Alan, "The Koln Concert" is the closest thing to improvisitional piano perfection on earth, imo, and it's where I'd suggest you start. I'm not even all that much into jazz, but I love that CD and play Part I just about every day, and usually more than once. A lot of Jarrett's other stuff is much more frenetic and strikes me as random fast runs up and down the keyboard--not my cup of tea. But the Koln concert...

p.s. to Lungfish: Yes, I like that Eno album quite a bit.

#1134589 - 02/04/07 06:31 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for that tip Monica, will see about ordering one.
I do find some jazz piano is too abstract and full of embellishments and in so doing, looses the melody and rhythm and downbeat which is the baseline of jazz in my book. a la, Herbie Hancock style.

Alan,

ps; I guess I'm a touch old fashioned!

#1134590 - 02/04/07 07:27 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Alan, "The Koln Concert" is the closest thing to improvisitional piano perfection on earth, imo, and it's where I'd suggest you start. I'm not even all that much into jazz, but I love that CD and play Part I just about every day, and usually more than once. A lot of Jarrett's other stuff is much more frenetic and strikes me as random fast runs up and down the keyboard--not my cup of tea. But the Koln concert...

p.s. to Lungfish: Yes, I like that Eno album quite a bit. [/b]
Excellent taste, Monica! Arbour Zena is a Jarrett album that you would also play non-stop, guaranteed. Jarrett and bassist Charlie Haden play as one mind with Jarrett's arrangements for strings in accompaniament. This is Jarrett's finest album in my opinion:

http://www.amazon.com/Arbour-Zena-Keith-...ie=UTF8&s=music

Give a listen to the three one minute examples. Incredible stuff, certainly on par with the finest of 20th century composers.

A downloadable file with examples of my jazz improvising (Accompaniament on Fender Rhodes, lead lines on Acoustic piano):

#1134591 - 02/13/07 02:54 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
Colin Dunn Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
I second Pete the bean's recommendation of Philip Aaberg. I played one of his pieces, "Montana Half-Light," at a recital last December.

The piece is not very difficult from a technical perspective (early intermediate or Grade 3-4), but has a nice atmospheric quality. It lends itself well to improvisation.

In fact, my piano teacher liked this piece so much that he learned it (and embellished upon it) so he could play it on gigs! (Took him 15 minutes, took me six weeks, but I digress...) I think this is the one and only time I actually introduced a new piece of music to a piano teacher that he wanted to play! \:\)

#1134592 - 02/18/07 02:36 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Monica,

I have ordered the K J Koln Concert and think part two will take some memorising. We'll see. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks again will talk more later.

Best regards,

Alan.

#1134593 - 02/24/07 10:34 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
 Quote:
Stop practicing scales and arpeggios for awhile and use linear excerpts from the book for practice drills instead. You'll enrich your melodic language, be playing music instead of practicing scales, and gaining more and more insight into Jarrett's music which will allow you to master it and commit it to memory with that much more facility. [/b]
Yes, this is a wonderful way to learn. I'm so heartened you think it possible to get this music down. Do you think it is possible or even worth memorising it? It seems even more spun out than a concerto.

But I think it would be better for students to study the theory and scales in tandem with work on the transcription.

There are also many more self contained transcriptions of Jarrett such as the standards available now. Whatever, it cannot be played like Czerny because it's jazz.

#1134594 - 02/25/07 12:58 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Arabesque:
 Quote:
Stop practicing scales and arpeggios for awhile and use linear excerpts from the book for practice drills instead. You'll enrich your melodic language, be playing music instead of practicing scales, and gaining more and more insight into Jarrett's music which will allow you to master it and commit it to memory with that much more facility. [/b]
Yes, this is a wonderful way to learn. I'm so heartened you think it possible to get this music down. Do you think it is possible or even worth memorising it? It seems even more spun out than a concerto.

But I think it would be better for students to study the theory and scales in tandem with work on the transcription.

There are also many more self contained transcriptions of Jarrett such as the standards available now. Whatever, it cannot be played like Czerny because it's jazz. [/b]
I've always worked on memorization not at, but away from the instrument. Jarret's lines are very melodic, memorable, and for the most part, all except for several, lengthy 16th note stretches, easily sung/hummed/scatted. Once you can divide up sections and scat them, the memorization process is nearly complete, especially if you have the accurate transcription, to correct any slight inconsistancies and illustrate the left hand accompaniament, which is not as crucial to this music as Jarrett's tapestry of melodic subjects, embellishments and variations on them. Memorizing away from the instrument engrains the music into your mind and ear rather than your fingers. The mind and ear are much better adept at memorizing music than merely relying on finger memory to get you through. Once engrained in the mind, Jarrett's music becomes a part of your musical experience, and can better serve as an influence for your playing. Learning music thusly has a much greater transfer/usability effect than merely playing it from muscular memory.

#1134595 - 03/01/07 05:35 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
livraf Offline

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Check out briancrain.com

Here are 2 of his songs on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT9mGDlRjOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPm9loEs1b8

Beautiful, enchanting melodies, similar to Jim Brickman and Yanni. Can also download free sheet music from his site.

Enjoy!

#1134596 - 03/01/07 08:54 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
Monica K. Offline

I like Brian Crain... you can hear him on Rhapsody. Thanks for the links... "Fly Away" is one of my favorite pieces of his, along with "Song for Sienna." The sheet music is also pretty easy to play, which always helps. \:\)

#1134597 - 03/01/07 09:40 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
livraf Offline

Hi Monica - I discovered Brian Crain on Satellite radio and fell in love with his enchanting melodies. Some of my favorites are "Song of the Heart", "Garden Gate" and "Sunrise". Sienna and Fly Away are beautiful selections too.

Do you have the sheet music for "Sunrise" ?

#1134598 - 03/02/07 12:05 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by livraf:
Check out briancrain.com

Here are 2 of his songs on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT9mGDlRjOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPm9loEs1b8

Beautiful, enchanting melodies, similar to Jim Brickman and Yanni. Can also download free sheet music from his site.

Enjoy! [/b]
Folks actually attend, pay money for tickets to concerts for performances of "Sunrise" and other music that sounds like first assignment homework that a beginning composition student hands in to his professor? It's the type of music you usually hear when you walk into the Sam Ash keyboard section and see 10 different people noodling on keyboards. I'm absolutely aghast that some audiences are so easy to please with such vapidity. 1-6-2-5 eight note arpeggiated accompaniament, never straying far from the root position with repetitive, ostinato melodies that never stray from the beat. Good Lord. I know I'll be slammed for it, the same way I was slammed because I disagreed with Brummel and others about Brubeck being the greatest pianist in the history of music, but I have to speak my mind on this Crain nonsense. I'll wager that anyone here on this forum that's played piano and read music for more than 6 months could turn out a dozen simple ditties like "Sunrise" within a week's time. What's next? Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? Even mentioning Crain and Keith Jarrett in the same thread is like comparing a Kalimba to a Bosendorfer Concert Grand. Crain's music reminds me of Grade 2 John W. Schaum Children's Piano Course Literature.

#1134599 - 03/02/07 12:22 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
Monica K. Offline

Ah, but it's pretty, virtuosic! ;\)

I'm not going to slam you, and I'm not going to try to argue that Crain is up there with Jarrett. But, I do like pieces with strong melodies, and Crain's work has nice strong, hummable melodies. Is Jarrett the better musician/composer? Absolutely!! I'll take the Koln concert any day over anything Brian Crain has written. [Warning: next sentence contains heresy] But I'd rather listen to Crain than some of Jarrett's more experimental wanderings up and down the keyboard...

#1134600 - 03/02/07 04:30 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ah, but it's pretty, virtuosic! ;\)

I'm not going to slam you, and I'm not going to try to argue that Crain is up there with Jarrett. But, I do like pieces with strong melodies, and Crain's work has nice strong, hummable melodies. Is Jarrett the better musician/composer? Absolutely!! I'll take the Koln concert any day over anything Brian Crain has written. [Warning: next sentence contains heresy] But I'd rather listen to Crain than some of Jarrett's more experimental wanderings up and down the keyboard... [/b]
Anyone here can already write, or be quickly taught to write similar nursery rhyme compositions. The only difference between Crain and someone on this Forum is that Crain writes nonsense like this believing that he's an artist, but the only artistry he displays is his ability to convince someone else that he's an artist, the same way that an artist will take a 50 foot steel girder, spray paint it red, name it "Sunrise", and convince not only an auction house, but a buyer that it's a work of art. Slow C major to A minor to D minor, to G7 arpeggios in the right hand, played on a Bosendorfer 9 footer, with low octave left hand pedal points will sound just as pretty, yet remain just as trivial as anything Crain has composed and recorded. That's because any tone on a well made concert grand, miked and recorded properly will sound pretty, not because Crain strung musical elements together in any type of meaningful, creative, artistic way. Hanon exercises sound pretty on the right piano.

#1134601 - 03/02/07 06:20 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by virtuosic1:
What's next? Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?[/b]
You jest, but you're more correct than you know. A number of new age solo piano albums have kiddie songs on them.
- Fresco's Law

#1134602 - 03/02/07 07:16 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
Monica K. Offline

virtuosic, can we agree that musical preferences are subjective and that people have the right to like whatever music they choose, even if it is [shudder] rap or [god forbid] Brian Crain?

#1134603 - 03/02/07 07:23 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
virtuosic, can we agree that musical preferences are subjective and that people have the right to like whatever music they choose, even if it is [shudder] rap or [god forbid] Brian Crain? [/b]
Absolutely. One person's treasure is another person's garbage. I'm simply flabbergasted that someone composing and performing such insipid music that any (and I do mean any) beginning composition student can write, and anyone that's completed the grade 1 book of any popular beginning piano course system can perform can sell concert tickets and CDs. This is "rap" for the piano. Music stripped down to its basic skeleton. His music is like exhibiting monochromatic, roller painted canvases, people paying to view the frames. Mediocrity for the sake of mediocrity.

#1134604 - 03/10/07 04:34 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
Colin Dunn Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
Anyone on this thread heard of Kostia? I have a 2-CD set, "20 Years of Narada Piano," with a selection of new age piano pieces. The second track on the first CD is "Sunrise" by Kostia, and I'd like to learn this piece someday ... but I can't find sheet music for it. Another Kostia piece, "Flowers on the Water," is readily available (and in a new age piano book I have), but "Sunrise" is nowhere to be found. \:\(

#1134605 - 03/10/07 06:12 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Dunn:
Anyone on this thread heard of Kostia? I have a 2-CD set, "20 Years of Narada Piano," with a selection of new age piano pieces. The second track on the first CD is "Sunrise" by Kostia, and I'd like to learn this piece someday ... but I can't find sheet music for it. Another Kostia piece, "Flowers on the Water," is readily available (and in a new age piano book I have), but "Sunrise" is nowhere to be found. \:\( [/b]
The advantage of recording pieces like this is that if you're even a mediocre pianist/composer, with very limited skills, you could probably knock out 10 CDs worth of music per day. Just write one long simple song with the new age formula (a few arpeggiated major and minor chords in the left hand within the key of C and play any combination of white keys with the right, repeating it several times to establish it as a motif), chop it up into 9 sections and then name each section something different and you have 9 songs, all of which actually sound almost exactly the same. Can any of these "New Age" pianists play anything else but simple modal noodling with broken triads as accompaniament?

In all probability, if you've got a few months of playing under your belt and can read music, even with rudimentary ear skills, you should be able to write out sunrise by listening. The left hand is nothing more than broken triadic chords, almost all in the root position, and all within the key of the piece. The nauseating right hand single melody lines are easily hummable. Anything you can familiarly hum, you can play at the piano. Give it a try. You shouldn't need the sheet music to figure out and play anything this fellow is playing, even if you're a beginning pianist.

#1134606 - 03/10/07 10:03 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
livraf Offline

blah, blah, blah, virtuosic....do you want some cheese with that whine ?? We have already heard enough of your rants against these "new age" pianists.

Your rants are bringing out the school girl in you....

#1134607 - 03/11/07 03:29 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
blah, blah, blah, virtuosic....do you want some cheese with that whine ?? We have already heard enough of your rants against these "new age" pianists.

Your rants are bringing out the school girl in you.... [/b]
Get the **** out of here. Like I said, one man's garbage is another man's treasure, and this garbage, this "rap" for the piano, is your cup of tea. It's admirable in a way that you can sip this and not choke yourself laughing.

Schoolgirl? Actually, my posts about this insipid music are simple facts. That's what it is. The first 8 notes of even Hanon exercise #1 are infinitely more interesting than "Sunrise". Nursery rhyme melodies that any first piano grade student could play. If you knew anything at all about piano, composition, or music in general, beyond the most rudimentary of elements, you would be able to speak about the music on a technical level instead of resorting to name calling. That's what a wuss does. They call names on the internet (not face to face), instead of debating facts as the music speakes for itself. Most pianists that I know could listen to these little gems, finally sit down behind a keyboard a week later, and play them from memory the very first time.

Learn to be tolerant of other's opinions, so you won't seem so much of an indignant fool, although the fact that you don't mind showing the full scope of your ignorance publically, is to your credit. Obviously, you can't be embarrassed, a dubious asset.

I have an idea. Why not disagree with me by doing a stunning analysis of the music? Convince me of what a compositional masterpiece this is by discussing the harmonic and melodic elements. Dazzle us with your jusical acumen. The structure and motivic development, etc.. Can you manage that, you ridiculous lightweight? Because if you can't do that, you've just illustrated that you're the little, whining schoolgirl here.

#1134608 - 03/11/07 03:14 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
livraf Offline

lol, haha, i am the one complaining ? its comical to me how a simple post about other artists can get an egomaniac like yourself all up tight...

previous post was mentioning another song named sunrise by another artist, which you dont know but have to use your egotistical sense and assumed that it is in c. Well, listen to the song first and a jazz virtuoso like yourself or an elementary grade I piano student should be able to tell it is not in c...

you have already made your point about new age and the previous post was just a simple question about sheet music; and yet you still have to get your rants in...

#1134609 - 03/11/07 03:30 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
lol, haha, i am the one complaining ? its comical to me how a simple post about other artists can get an egomaniac like yourself all up tight...

previous post was mentioning another song named sunrise by another artist, which you dont know but have to use your egotistical sense and assumed that it is in c. Well, listen to the song first and a jazz virtuoso like yourself or an elementary grade I piano student should be able to tell it is not in c...

you have already made your point about new age and the previous post was just a simple question about sheet music; and yet you still have to get your rants in... [/b]
What I said was that anyone playing all white keys, all triads that are part of the C tonality, and melodies comprised of the C scale and it's associated modes of the C scale, could both write and play music of this extremely basic, limited nature. Your reading comprehension s**ks. I never stated a key for this piece. I told him that he could duplicate it and 1000 more like it by hitting any combination of white keys. Perhaps you should go back and have an adult read my posts to you, explaining their content as you go.

For that matter, my comments were to his request for sheet music. I informed him that sheet music isn't necessary, it's that simple, and that's a fact.

I automatically assume that pianists can transpose freely from one key to another and if they can do this in C major, they can duplicate it in any of the other 11 major keys and their associated modes, because transposition should be a basic skill. Unfortuntely, it looks like I assumed too much., as this isn't 20 years ago, when "professional" pianists were expected to have those type of skills readily at hand.

It seems as though since Jarrett, this type of "New Age" piano music has taken a giant leap backwards in utter simplicity. It sounds like piano tuning, not playing. Anyone can make this type of music without any formalized compositional or piano study whatsoever. It's like if automakers decided to simplify vehicles back to the design of 1902 Oldsmobiles. No air-conditioning, no power steering, no interior, just a buckboard wagon with a 2 horsepower motor strapped over an axle. It's piano music completely stripped of all flesh, just the barest of bones. It's rap for the piano. A style evolved for music lovers of very limited musical skills, study, and creativity.

Are you ready to discuss the harmonic and melodic elements of Sunrise? Let me know when you're equipped to do so. Perhaps you have a friend someplace that knows something about the mechanics of music that you can consult. Use your lifeline. \:D

#1134610 - 03/11/07 03:37 AM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:

[/b]
All up tight? Don't flatter yourself. My pulse never rises above 52 unless I'm exercising.

What's comical to me is your inability to discuss even this most basic of music from a technical level, yet you want to pontificate about me, a subject you know even less about than music, if that's humanly possible.

#1134611 - 03/11/07 02:40 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
lungfish Offline

Loc: nyc
i too think its absurd that people pay to see and hear simplicity, but i don't have anything against the music itself. if anything it gives a mediocre player a feeling that they don't have to be extremely talented to write music and have it mean something.
the trouble is when that player believes that they're extremely good in playing simply and elementary pieces.
similarly, if livraf said that Crain is a *better* and more talented pianist than Jarrett (maybe i missed it) then that's ridiculous and obviously not true.
otherwise i think liking music like this is fine.
although if someone somehow thinks that Crain is a master of the instrument than they're sadly mistaken. but that's not likely.
i also have to stick up for people that can't talk about music technically. not particularly sticking up for livraf but for others like me who know an okay amount but are not experts on reading or talking about music. and although they don't always know the musical terms and such their passion for music suffices and is more than enough \:\)

i'm sure none of that made sense. haha.

ps- i agreed about the Brubeck thing. boy was that ridiculous.
i think he threatened you? haha.

#1134612 - 03/11/07 05:07 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lungfish:
i too think its absurd that people pay to see and hear simplicity, but i don't have anything against the music itself. if anything it gives a mediocre player a feeling that they don't have to be extremely talented to write music and have it mean something.
the trouble is when that player believes that they're extremely good in playing simply and elementary pieces.
similarly, if livraf said that Crain is a *better* and more talented pianist than Jarrett (maybe i missed it) then that's ridiculous and obviously not true.
otherwise i think liking music like this is fine.
although if someone somehow thinks that Crain is a master of the instrument than they're sadly mistaken. but that's not likely.
i also have to stick up for people that can't talk about music technically. not particularly sticking up for livraf but for others like me who know an okay amount but are not experts on reading or talking about music. and although they don't always know the musical terms and such their passion for music suffices and is more than enough \:\)

i'm sure none of that made sense. haha.

ps- i agreed about the Brubeck thing. boy was that ridiculous.
i think he threatened you? haha. [/b]
Absolutely. I never criticized anyone's like or dislike of this simple stuff that anyone can play or compose. If you like it, you like it. I simply commented on its content, making a value judgement on that alone and not judging anyone's like or dislike of it. I play and wirte some extremely complex stuff. I also play and write some simple things too. I like both, complex and simple, but if all I could do was write and play the simplest of things, I would soon tire of it and do something about it, arming myself with more technical and compositional ability.
There's nothing wrong with liking this simplest of New Age piano any more than liking the sound of a set of wind chimes in a strong breeze and I never said there was anything wrong. I just called it what it is from its technical/structural level. Wind chimes for piano. Nothing more, nothing less. At one time, avant garde afficionados paid money to sit in a theater and watch John Cage tune 12 different radios to 12 different stations and call it a composition. I guess New age afficionados paying good money to see a pianist of very limited skills play nothing more than triads and modes shouldn't surprise me. Maybe if these New Age pianists painted the piano lime green with orange polka-dots and glued a red ping-pong ball on the tip of their nose I'd be slightly less surprised.

#1134613 - 03/11/07 05:55 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
This post has taken a bit of a nasty turn. I'm outta here.

#1134614 - 03/11/07 08:59 PM Re: Getting into New Age piano music...
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete the bean:
This post has taken a bit of a nasty turn. I'm outta here. [/b]
If your constitution is that easily upset, drink an Alka-Seltzer, play a few very slow white key glisses with the sustain pedal floored throughout, just to get into the proper "New age Piano spirit", and come on back later. I think all the trouble-makers have now vacated this thread.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
31 minutes 1 second ago
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
Today at 08:56 PM
Reger's Piano Variations
by argerichfan
Today at 08:36 PM
What is the Typical Piano Consignment Split?
by Paul678
Today at 06:58 PM
In need of teaching advice!
by luepiano123
Today at 06:48 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (aesop, anotherscott, Anne'sson, accordeur, 37 invisible), 1237 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157521 Topics
2313822 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission