Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1135670 - 05/13/07 06:41 PM American Idol Type Show - Elton John Tribute
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Some industry insiders have contacted me about a proposed "American Idol" type show, with a twist.
I told them I'd post information so they can get some input from our piano enthusiasts...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is a sort of "press release" about the proposed show...[/b]

Don't Shoot Me; I'm Only the Piano Player[/b]

Under pressure, under the lights,
alone on stage
with nothing but talent and a grand piano.

This tastefully produced, 13-week reality competition will honor Elton John using his vast musical library of original music by challenging young piano-playing vocalists to display their abilities. To win, they will also need to exhibit true showmanship and creativity through the use of original costumes and how well they arrange Sir Elton's hits to make a rendition uniquely their own.
This is not a competition of Elton John impersonators; it is a tribute to his talent and showmanship. Staff professionals will assist contestants in arranging and providing accompaniment for performances.

A contest within the contest of up and coming fashion designers will simultaneously be sponsored providing a competitive arena for retro or current, hip and outrageous outfits to be created for each routine throughout the series providing a unique visual aspect.
Every show, archived footage of Elton John is used to place each performance into context with Elton's history of the piece.

In the finale, Elton will be honored; ultimately performing in a duet with the Winner.

A show like this will make piano playing look cool again and will inspire millions of young "Next" generation viewers.

And a more detailed explanation...[/b]

A tribute to Elton John

This is a 13-week, televised piano/vocal competition where-in all contestants compete using songs from Sir Elton’s vast library of musical compositions.

• Imagine the power of a prime-time television show featuring young pianist/vocalists in wild costumes paying homage to the showmanship and music of Sir Elton. Retro is in. Reality shows are hot. They have had a profound affect on their viewing audiences. What would tens of millions of kids and teenagers watching piano playing young stars during their 15-minutes of fame do? Start to pester their parents for piano lessons maybe?

We are not looking for Elton John impersonators. We are looking for talented show people who can give a different sound to Elton’s music with their own personal style through unique arrangements. They are out there.

• This concept is bottom-up, not top-down.

• This concept costs the music industry nothing. All costs are shouldered by the television network and a great deal of the profits (millions) are structured to go to charity.

Why Elton John?

• Elton John’s music spans decades, is popular world-wide, consists of many styles
and typically features the piano as the main instrument. He has sold over 200 million records with over 50 top-40 hits! A minimum of one hit single every year from 1970 to 1999! He has written scores for children’s musicals and Broadway hits. His costumes and persona are recognized worldwide.

• Elton John’s success was a key factor in the success of the piano in Rock and Roll. Nobody has done more for the piano’s popularity. He made playing the piano look cool.

• This can be an international program as Elton John is popularity spans many continents. Benefits will be realized world-wide.

• With this competition, everybody wins.

This project, entitled “Don’t Shoot Me; I’m Only the Piano Player” is already in the hands of Sir Elton’s management and is under consideration.
--------------------------------------------

You can post comments, suggestions, ideas, etc. to this thread.[/b]
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

Piano & Music Accessories
#1135671 - 05/13/07 07:35 PM Re: American Idol Type Show - Elton John Tribute
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Great idea, there is viewers for that show but two things you have to keep in mine, piano is less popular than guitar and elton John is not so popular among teenager and young adult(15 to 25 years old).

A costume contest within the show will had a second interesting element if the piano performance is boring.

It all depends who is your target audience but I will watch that show.

For each contestant you could do a bio about there life and the piano, when and why they started playing the piano.

More we know about the contestants more with can connect to them and more we will be touch by there performance and follow them weeks after weeks.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1135672 - 05/14/07 01:19 PM Re: American Idol Type Show - Elton John Tribute
Pyano Teacher Offline

Loc: California
I think that this is a great idea. Many of my young students watch American Idol and they don't recognize most of the songs which are sung in the show. They don't watch because of who originally wrote or performed the song, they watch to see young performers like themselves or who they might want to be like. Many of my adult students would probably watch with their kids because of the Elton John aspect I imagine since many request to learn his music. I am not a popular-music teacher however, strictly classical but still, I can see a show like this generating many new students.

I do really like Elton John's music myself. I look forward to seeing this show on TV.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
59 minutes 52 seconds ago
Free Cunningham Piano Company Grand Piano
by Rich D.
Today at 11:05 AM
Baldwin capo: a metallic-buzz sound generating system
by A443
Today at 11:00 AM
MP11 sustain pedal (F30) release: possible issue?
by kanadajin
Today at 10:59 AM
Chopin - Scherzo 1 Help
by YoungNoir
Today at 10:22 AM
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, ajames, ando, 45 invisible), 1557 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157709 Topics
2316523 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission