Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#113580 - 02/09/09 10:52 AM Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
mdjenkins Offline

Loc: SC
My wife and I are looking to purchase a grand Piano. My wife plays and my sons are learning currently. We have been around and have played multiple pianos and my wife finds that she likes the sound and feel of Petrof the best. We found a Petrof Model III listed for 17,900 but my concern is that the store is no longer a Petrof dealer (and was somewhat misleading about this point). The piano is new but I have to find out what year it was made. Is this price high for what is likely a 2-3 yr old Model III and should I be concerned about warranty coverage if purchasing from someone who is not a authorized Petrof dealer (they were but lost it during that whole fiasco with the distributor).
Finally, my wife's second choice is Yamaha and I found a new C3 for 23,000. Is there anything about these two pianos that might sway you one way or the other.
Thanks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#113581 - 02/09/09 05:33 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
Gary at Encore Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Our store sells the Petrof III for around $28,000. Fine lists the price as $32,780. So you have been quoted a wonderful closeout price. The Petrof sound is much different than a Yamaha. Many people, like your wife, much prefer the European sound and touch which the Petrofs have. I would not have fears about the warranty. But if you want to talk to the Petrof importer then call Al Rich the Petrof USA CEO. His email is alrich@petrofusa.com
You have found a truly wonderful piano at a wonderful, once in a lifetime, price.

#113582 - 02/09/09 05:37 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
mdjenkins Offline

Checked the serial numbers and it turns out it is a 2002 P3- still a once in a lifetime deal?

#113583 - 02/09/09 06:05 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
Gary at Encore Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I would think so. Please know that a piano needs a year or two after it is made to stabilize and hold a tuning and regulation for extended times. So the first few years the piano, which is made of wood, which adjusts, and strings with stretch, just gets better. If the piano has not been played a great deal then it is better than a new one. If the piano is currently well regulated, meaning that it plays with an even touch and with the touch that your wife likes, and it is well voiced, meaning that the hammers have been carefully worked on to yield the even tones and amount of brightness that your wife likes, then it is a great deal. If there is some thing lacking in regulation and voicing, then have the store or a RPT work on the piano. Even if this costs you a few hundred dollars it still sounds to me like a deal of a lifetime.

#113584 - 02/09/09 06:14 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
2004, 05, or 06 manufacture for an old 'new' Petrof would seem completely reasonable. OTOH, 2002 is quite a while ago.

A piano can be sold as 'new' as long as it has NOT BEEN SOLD previously. It can be sold as new even if it has seen some sort of loan or demo use. A good dealer would disclose that, but might not volunteer it unless asked.

Because of that, I would be looking into where that piano might have spent time other than that dealer's showroom and I would be paying out of pocket for a tech to inspect it. I would also be e-mailing Petrof in Europe directly about the provenance and the warranty since the warranty issued to you would likely be a GIC certificate and GIC is not the current distributor. You would need to give Petrof the exact serial number.

If everything checks out, the price is good, but not the opportunity of a lifetime. Life is so great that those opportunities come up every other day. \:D

I really like the P III personally, but the C3 has a lot going for it if you are content with its simpler tone profile.

#113585 - 02/09/09 07:34 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
mdjenkins Offline

Spoke with Petrof- because this piano was distributed under GIC, they will only honor the warranty 5yrs after date of manufacturing- thus it is no longer covered under warranty. Given this information, would you all suggest pursuing this any further and, if so, do you think a lower price is warranted given the absence of warranty coverage?

#113586 - 02/09/09 08:06 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdjenkins:
Spoke with Petrof- because this piano was distributed under GIC, they will only honor the warranty 5yrs after date of manufacturing- thus it is no longer covered under warranty. Given this information, would you all suggest pursuing this any further and, if so, do you think a lower price is warranted given the absence of warranty coverage? [/b]
Great follow-up mdjenkins!

The information you received from your inquiry to Petrof should be helpful to many buyers in your position. Since you have nothing at all in the way of a warranty, in your position I would disclose Petrof's answer to the retailer offering the leftover P III and tell him that the complete lack of any warranty is a major concern for you.

If the offered price is not lowered considerably, I would move on. If it is lowered to a level that offsets in your mind the lack of warranty, I would ask the retailer where the piano has spent its life the last seven years and how it was used. If you're satisfied by that answer, I'd recommend paying for a tech inspection. With no warranty of any kind, this would be crucial.

#113587 - 02/09/09 08:14 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by turandot:
A piano can be sold as 'new' as long as it has NOT BEEN SOLD previously. It can be sold as new even if it has seen some sort of loan or demo use. A good dealer would disclose that, but might not volunteer it unless asked.
[/b]
Even further, my understanding that is is illegal to omit a material fact in the history of the instrument. Being a "loaner", IMHO would certainly require disclosure.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#113588 - 02/09/09 09:21 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
mdjenkins Offline

Thanks- I really appreciate the input! I will let you know what I find out

#113589 - 02/10/09 05:06 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
mdjenkins Offline

Spoke with store and per their report the piano has not been out of the store. They claimed the piano was a 2005-2006 until I found out from Petrof that it was a 2002. Hard to imagine that it has been just sitting around the showroom for six years but I guess it's possible. In any event, they were not willing to negotiate the price any further.
Again, I am curious- if priced the same, which piano is considered better quality? Petrof P3 or Yamaha C3? I know they have different tonal qualities and it really depends on player preference, but is one considered better quality than another? Would one be considered a better buy than another if the price was equal?(22k)

#113590 - 02/10/09 06:04 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana, USA
mdjenkins, what is the serial number?

#113591 - 02/10/09 06:16 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
windsound Offline

Loc: IL
A 2002 Petrof is hardly considered as a "new one". Frankly speaking, I don't think the dealer has no correct knowledge about the age and I am very surprised that "They claimed the piano was a 2005-2006".

Probably it is a better option to check with more dealers in your area. Yamaha C3 is an excellent piano and it does not cost $23K in my area.

#113592 - 02/10/09 06:39 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

mdj
Steve Cohen gave you this answer yesterday on your other thread. I think it covers all the bases.

Quote:
originally posted by Steve Cohen
Yamaha C3s have a bell-like tone and great action, however the Petrof has more tonal color.
For power and/or jazz players the Yamaha would likely please. For those who stress expression Petrof is a great value.

[/b]
Now, Steve wasn't talking about a seven-year-old 'new' piano which the dealer claimed was only three or four years old. Nor was Steve talking about a piano with absolutely no warranty: a fact which the dealer failed to mention. If this guy won't budge on price, just move on.

#113593 - 02/10/09 08:26 PM Re: Petrof Model III vs Yamaha C3
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
No warranty is ... scary! What if something pops up after sales???

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (adanepst, antony, ADWyatt, 27 invisible), 1249 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153492 Topics
2249189 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
04/16/14 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
04/15/14 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
04/15/14 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
04/15/14 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission