Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1135987 - 12/28/06 12:54 PM Re: Elton John
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
That's What Friends Are For-- video for Aids

EJ is on this as well as Stevie Wonder. Many pop stars on it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg1wn_thats-what-friends-are-for

Piano & Music Accessories
#1135988 - 12/28/06 03:52 PM Re: Elton John
ARIAS Offline

Loc: Tampa Bay
thanks[/b] for sending me these great videos, I can't wait to check them out later on \:\) ;\)

#1135989 - 12/30/06 12:50 AM Re: Elton John
ARIAS Offline

WOLF:[/b] Thanks for sending us all those fabulous Elton John Videos. When Elton plays the piano, the piano and him become ONE .
It is amazing how well Elton John performed with all these different performers.........Billy joel, Dionne Warwick, George Michael.....etc.
George Michael did a better job with the "Dont let the Sun Go Down on Me " than I thought he would. I was never that crazy about him, but he did pretty good with elton in that song. I liked watching Elton with Stevie Wonder in "Thats What Friends are for" They Looked like they had great rythym together the way were rocking back and forth , it made me want to rock back and forth with them!
To any of you who havent listened yet to the Elton John Videos on this thread, What Are You Waiting For...check it out! \:D
OK I think I have made up my mind that Elton is truly the best[/b] rock pop pianist without a doubt. . He is one-of-a -kind, there will never be anybody like Elton. And he sure can ROCK!!

If I had a choice as to whose music I wanted to learn to play all of (rock-pop artist that is) it would certainly be Eltons. He has song for every mood of mine and I have alot of moods! \:D

His ability to capture any mood of the audience is truly amazing, his melodies are beautiful and soothing, I want Elton John to play Candle in the Wind at MY funeral! :p

#1135990 - 12/30/06 01:38 AM Re: Elton John
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I must admit after listening to so many Billy Joel Videos tonight... that right now I think Elton is the better singer of the two.

Sometimes (not very often) Billy oversings or doesn't place his note exactly right.He also is a bit more nasal than Elton. Not saying Billy is a bad singer at all; but that maybe Elton is a better singer technically nowadays. (perhaps when Elton burst his vocal chord, he had to learn better vocal tech. to save his career).

Then again some of the minor things I heard tonight may have just been times that Billy was tired or under the weather. Or maybe his alcoholism was a problem.

Celine Dion also sung incorrectly when she started out and nearly ruined her chords. Same goes for Kathy Mattea (Country singer/songwriter).

I still think it is a close call for me to choose Billy over Elton; the deciding factor was the ability of Billy to put everything together so well. But I could have just as easily chosen Elton John as my favorite. I change my opinon as easily as the weather though; it is so close.

It was hard to pass up brother Ray; I love him so. But I just felt EJ and BJ had the best playing chops. So Ray was my 3rd guy. Carole King is my #1 female pop/rock pianist.

It is a matter of to each his own in the end.
I just think it is great that we have both Elton John and Billy Joel having their careers parallel with each other at the same time; let alone they did a couple of tours together (Face to Face).

The world has been blessed by all the great musicians who are putting themselves out front and having dedicated their lives to making great music.

And thank god Elton John rethought his plan to not be a 50 yr old rock and roll star. He hasn't lost much over the years, his voice has a bit less range due to a vocal chord injury and probably age. But is a top knotch piano player and entertainer. And he can put on a fabulous show. I love Elton's DIVANESS also; He is a character.

#1135991 - 12/30/06 02:17 AM Re: Elton John
Music Lover Offline

Loc: USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by ARIAS:
OK I think I have made up my mind that Elton is truly the best[/b] rock pop pianist without a doubt. . He is one-of-a -kind, there will never be anybody like Elton. And he sure can ROCK!!
An excellent choice, ARIAS! \:\)

#1135992 - 12/30/06 09:48 PM Re: Elton John
ARIAS Offline

After reviewing all of the Billy Joel videos on the other threads and the Elton John videos on this thread I have concluded that:
Eltons[/b] voice has alot more power [/b]than Billy Joels'[/b] and not only that Eltons'[/b] voice just travels further than Billys[/b]

#1135993 - 01/07/07 10:00 AM Re: Elton John
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
I saw the Elton John show in Hong Kong and I was jumping out of my seat. He has so much energy and the songs just kept coming plus his band are the same people since 1972! I've been a fan ever since I can remember. The first record I bought with my paper round money was Crocodile Rock. After that show I rushed out and bought the comemmorative DVD/CD, I went back to UK and got his piano book. I'm really glad I'm not the only Elton nut. And Bernie Taupin's lyrics are among the best.

#1135994 - 01/07/07 09:29 PM Re: Elton John
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Elton plays a Roland on this Bohemian Rhapsody video... just noticed this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxv5_bohemian-rhapsody-elton-and-axel

#1135995 - 01/07/07 10:28 PM Re: Elton John
Music Lover Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ARIAS:
After reviewing all of the Billy Joel videos on the other threads and the Elton John videos on this thread I have concluded that:
Eltons[/b] voice has alot more power [/b]than Billy Joels'[/b] and not only that Eltons'[/b] voice just travels further than Billys[/b]
All things considered, I'd have to give Elton the edge as the better all-around musical/piano talent of the two, IMHO. And I don't say that to slight Billy or any of his fans. To each his own. \:\)

#1135996 - 01/07/07 10:39 PM Re: Elton John
Music Lover Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Arabesque:
I saw the Elton John show in Hong Kong and I was jumping out of my seat. He has so much energy and the songs just kept coming plus his band are the same people since 1972! I've been a fan ever since I can remember. The first record I bought with my paper round money was Crocodile Rock. After that show I rushed out and bought the comemmorative DVD/CD, I went back to UK and got his piano book. I'm really glad I'm not the only Elton nut. And Bernie Taupin's lyrics are among the best.
Thanks for sharing. \:\)

Elton has been criticized by some for not writing most of his own lyrics. But why write your own when you've got somebody like Taupin, who can do it so brilliantly?

Some of the greatest and most legendary songwriters in history, in various genres, did not write most of their own lyrics.

Like George Gershwin, Richard Rodgers, Burt Bacharach, Henry Mancini, Eddie Holland and Carole King--just to name a few off the top of my head.

#1135997 - 01/08/07 04:22 AM Re: Elton John
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Arabesque:
I'm really glad I'm not the only Elton nut. [/b]
You're most definitely not! I only started listening to his music a few months ago... my album/DVD count is up to 10. And I saw him in concert last month.

Oh and if anyone want's to see Elton at his best with just a piano and his voice, pick up a copy of "To Russia with Elton." (DVD)

#1135998 - 01/08/07 04:27 AM Re: Elton John
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Back to the original question, the "Elton John Keyboard Book" published by Hal Lennard provides note for not what Elton Played on a selection of his album tracks.

Please note: this book provides accompanyment only, great for singing along to but not great for piano solo.

#1135999 - 01/08/07 01:57 PM Re: Elton John
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

FYI Elton fans... Here is an announcement re: a princess Diana memorial event

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=88c1a9d1-c000-422f-b566-4d154f5cb749

#1136000 - 01/08/07 02:48 PM Re: Elton John
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

FYI: Elton John's Official Website
http://www.eltonjohn.com/flash_index.asp

#1136001 - 01/08/07 10:29 PM Re: Elton John
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Back in 1974 on Thanksgiving I saw Elton and a guy named John Lennon..

What a show...

#1136002 - 01/08/07 11:15 PM Re: Elton John
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I got a new cell phone yesterday, and it is pretty cool. While the other kids are listening to Ludarcis on there cell phone, i'm blasting Levon and Candle in the Wind down the hall \:D

Matt

#1136003 - 01/18/07 11:40 AM Re: Elton John
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
Wolf, you are good at seeking these things out. I go through phases of liking Elton John and then being indifferent. But I watched a few of these and was impressed. And I agree that he is probably a better singer than Billy Joel in that he has rather fewer off key moments.

I also thought that, especially for a well known actor, Ewan McGregor did a really good job of Your Song.

A

#1136004 - 01/18/07 01:36 PM Re: Elton John
lovepianowoman Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I read the biography of Billy Joel "The Life and the Times of An Angry Man". I hate the title; but I see why at times they say that. It is a wonderful book about how Billy created his career.

Elton John is one of the best pianoist ever! I liked him best in his younger days...with all the concerts...that must have been amazing! Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters is one of his best songs to me. I would love the sheet music for that( anybody know???)
I would LOVE to meet Bernie...his lyrics are wonderful...

AND i dont think anyone is alone in being the elton john freak! lol

I heart Billy Joel, Sir Elton John,Ray Charles, the Beatles, and Queen. \:\)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
10/21/14 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
10/21/14 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
Who's Online
113 registered (accordeur, anadyr21, 36251, A Guy, 29 invisible), 1287 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158405 Topics
2326236 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission