Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1136970 - 03/29/05 07:00 PM Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
TremolO Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Can you guys list good jazz or blues pianists or even songs. I want to open up my ears to blues piano solos and jazz etc so I can build my technique and learn to play better.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1136971 - 03/29/05 07:56 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Ballyhoo Offline

Loc: Australia
My favourites are James Booker and Oscar Peterson.

There are so many. Some others are Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, and Herbie Hancock.

#1136972 - 03/29/05 09:28 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
me_dup1 Offline

Loc: north of 53
Dave Brubeck ?

#1136973 - 03/30/05 06:01 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
MikeMcf31 Offline

Loc: Northern NJ
James Booker - "Spiders on the Keys"

#1136974 - 03/31/05 07:21 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
hgiles Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Charlottesville Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ballyhoo:
Oscar Peterson...Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, and Herbie Hancock. [/b]
I second that! Oscar is probably most accessible for the beginning listener -- and Errol Garner. Garner is not a virtuoso, but has a fun bouncy style. Stylistically it is easier to learn than some of the others.

#1136975 - 03/31/05 07:32 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Samejame Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NL, Canada
The above are all great jazz artists, but if you are looking to gwet into jazz and blues, and are just starting, I would think their abilities are just a bit out of our league.

I think you might be better off trying something a bit more basic, like some raw early blues piano stuff - Jimmy Yancey, Ray Charles (did a lot of great piano blues and gospel besides his vocal stuff) Jack Dupree, Meade Lux Lewis, Jay MacShann Pinetop Perkins, etc. All good stuff, and are the heart and soul of blues piano. From there, anything is possible.

Jamie

#1136976 - 04/01/05 05:06 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Christopher Beisel Offline

Loc: Maryland
Another vote for the early blues players. Look into books by Eric Kriss for transcriptions, style analysis and history.

Chris

#1136977 - 04/01/05 03:01 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Dave Spelvin Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
My current favorite jazz player is Brad Mehldau. Try one of his Art of the Trio discs, recorded live at the Village Vanguard in NYC. His most recent is a solo disc recorded live in Japan and I don't think it's very successful.

My ultimate favorite jazz player is Fats Waller, but I don't think I could do without Monk. Find Waller's solos recordings. Unbelieveable.

For blues, I'm partial to Duke Ellington, but that may not be what you have in mind.

#1136978 - 04/01/05 03:13 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Besides Michel Camilo, lauded by me in another thread, another very fine current (vs. dead) jazz pianist is Don Rebic. Here's a trio recording of his:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/donrebic

#1136979 - 04/04/05 10:49 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Alanjazz. Offline

Loc: England
To hgiles,

I wish I could play like Erroll Garner, about 10% as well even! Ive seen him in concerts 3 times in the 1960's I've bought most of his albums and even a DVD made in 1964 in London. It's called Erroll Garner in Performance. Still available. For a complete self taught pianist who can only play by ear, no theory no sight reading, nothing, he is a genius to my ears. What keys he played in were so utterly difficult too.

If you have only heard him before the 1960s I agree it is more as you describe but he developed a fantastic style into the 70s. He died so young at age 56.

Perhaps it is an aquired taste but I do think he was such an superb jazz piano entertainer and a really nice guy to.

Alan

#1136980 - 04/04/05 07:48 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
CJ_Morris Offline

Well Marcus Roberts is pretty amazing, worked with him at a few workshops and his solos were incredible for a blind man.

#1136981 - 04/05/05 12:16 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Alanjazz. Offline

Just to add a bit.

Clint Eastwood made a documentary shown on TV here in England about a year ago. This was a collection of 'Blues' piano players, It featured live interviews at the piano with many such as Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Jay Mc Shann, many others too even Clint played a few bars. I do not know who made this recording but it was on Sky Performance here. There is a website for Performance and anyone keen enough may like to see if a contact is there.

I like to watch other pianists on live recordings as it is inspirational to me. You can get a DVD of Bill Evans talking with his brother about how he Bill got into playing jazz. Very instructive to me.

The only problem with Videos and other recording is the shere frustration of seeing camera angles that miss the finger action just at the part you wanted.

Anyone any news about good videos & dvd's on jazz piano live. I have the recent Diana Krall one.

Alan

#1136982 - 04/05/05 02:08 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pensacola, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by Alanjazz.:
Just to add a bit.

Clint Eastwood made a documentary shown on TV here in England about a year ago. This was a collection of 'Blues' piano players, It featured live interviews at the piano with many such as Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Jay Mc Shann, many others too even Clint played a few bars. ...
Alan [/b]
I think I have this on DVD.

#1136983 - 04/05/05 02:16 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I've always liked the piano music of Mary Lou Williams. There is a certain quality of understatement and subtlety in her music which is quite unlike her more virtuosic contemporaries and which I find very attractive. She was also remarkable in that she was good at writing out what she played and her scores are well worth studying. She also possessed an amazing adaptability and diversity of style. If we compare, say, "Roll'em", "Fandangle", "Mama Pin a Rose on Me" and "A Fungus Amungus" the degree of versatility while preserving her essential musical personality is amazing.

I just wish that more of her solo recordings and scores were readily available.

#1136984 - 04/05/05 11:49 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
Gene Harris is soo sweet. Try the Live at Maybeck Cd if you want to hear solo piano. When I grow up I wanna sound like that..

#1136985 - 04/08/05 10:36 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada

#1136986 - 05/23/05 04:52 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
kateriniparalia Offline

Loc: Cali
 Quote:
Just to add a bit.

I like to watch other pianists on live recordings as it is inspirational to me. You can get a DVD of Bill Evans talking with his brother about how he Bill got into playing jazz. Very instructive to me.

Alan [/b]
Alan - can you give us the name of that DVD?

#1136987 - 05/23/05 05:16 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
jazpianizt Offline

Just stuck my head in here and saw this thread - the Bill Evans recording is called "The Universal Mind of Bill Evans". It's great - mostly dialog with his brother Harry, but he plays a number of songs also.
I've been listening to the Maybeck Recital series lately - there must be about 40 of them, and not a dud among them - all solo piano.

#1136988 - 05/23/05 07:12 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
coolgeek24751 Offline

Too bad Eric Lewis (current T. Monk Piano champion) doesn't have anything out under his name (that I know of if he does please tell me) or I would definately suggest him. Utterly amazing in his harmonic and rythmic skills though he might be too advaced for an untrained listener.

#1136989 - 05/24/05 06:25 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
hgiles Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
For a complete self taught pianist who can only play by ear, no theory no sight reading, nothing, he is a genius to my ears. What keys he played in were so utterly difficult too.
Alan [/b]
Alan,
Anecdotal evidence suggests that Garner actually could read well enough to understand what was going on in music. Perhaps he couldn't 'sight-read' as well as some would expect him to.

Self-taught? Self-learned for sure. Everyone has a teacher on some level, even if it's other musicians he is gigging with. Experience and exposure certainly taught him something.

No theory? I assure you he knew some theory. Maybe he didn't know the terminology, but he certainly knew how one chord moves to the next and how one scale might move to the next. That's theory.

Difficult keys? Is there such a thing, really? It's relative. The keys are obviously not difficult for him. If you played 75% of your tunes in Eb and Ab and played 10 hours a day you'd be good there too.

Having said that, I revere and respect the man's abilities as a pianist, no doubt. But I don't handicap him because of the myths that perpetuate about him. I think it's kind of a put-down when this stuff is said about him, although the same anecdotal evidence suggests he encouraged people to believe these falsities about him.

Garner was an excellent piano player period! I, too, wish I had 10% of his ability. \:\)

#1136990 - 05/24/05 06:46 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
nottasmartman Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Phinneas Newborn Jr. and Randy Weston are pretty unrecognized but highly skilled.

Then there's Dorothy Donegan who I heard with Marian McPartland on her piano jazz show. She played with delicate touches and extreme force all at the same time. I think McPartland was a little jealous when you listen to it.

#1136991 - 05/25/05 07:09 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westchester, NY
Here's a few more you might also want to listen to:

Dave McKenna
Lennie Tristano
Hampton Hawes
Herbie Nichols
Red Garland
Gonzalo Rubalcaba
Fred Hersh
Ellis Marsalis

I can go on ... but, the important thing is to just listen. Once you discover who you like, find out who influenced them and then go listen to those people.

Remember, it doesn't have to be strictly pianists.

Regards,

fingers

#1136992 - 05/26/05 06:27 AM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
hgiles Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fingers:
Gonzalo Rubalcaba
[/b]
Gonzo is a beast FOR SURE!!

#1136993 - 05/30/05 02:28 PM Re: Good Blues or Jazz Pianists
Alanjazz. Offline

Sorry to be late on a reply to 'Kateriniporalia'

The Bill Evans DVD is "The Universal Mind of Bill Evans"; EFORFILMS 2869016.

Hope That Helps.

To reply to H Giles, there's a book called 'Erroll Garner. The most Happy Piano' by James M. Doran; Scarecrow Press,Inc. ISBN 0-8108-1745-4

If you read that it will possibly help with any doubts about anecdotal chit chat that might roam the corridors of the pianistic institutions.

No disrespect implied to other opinions though.

Alan

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (15shoes, 36251, A Guy, aesop, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1046 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157154 Topics
2308069 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
Yesterday at 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
Yesterday at 07:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission