Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
65 registered (Auver, BabyCat, Ben_NZ, AZNpiano, angga888, 19 invisible), 1276 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1137009 - 09/01/05 01:11 PM Riff Decoder
kraniak Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I'm looking for a device that will easily and cheaply slow down the music, allowing you to pick apart complex passages. I know there are old tools out there that do this by slowing a cassette by one-half speed (1/2 speed will preserve key, albeit, one octave lower). Supposedly there are newer, digital products that will allow varied decreases in speed while preserving pitch.

Anyone familiar with or using such devises that can provide some input? I found one such product but would like to see other options (http://www.sabine.com/newsite/liveapps/ibktraka.htm)

Thanks!

Piano & Music Accessories
#1137010 - 09/02/05 02:33 PM Re: Riff Decoder
jasperkeys Offline

Loc: Safford, AZ
Hi there! I bought one online called 'Slowgold' software (on sale for about $40.00) and it does what you're talking about. It does have one slight drawback that it doesn't mention when you buy it. You can use a standard CD format song (a WAV file)and that's what the program converts. However, it will also convert an MP3 file to the necessary WAV file format for you. This is what I usually do. After I record a segment of music that has been slowed down, I will want to put it into my MP3 player so I can take it to practice with. This is the drawback: The 'Slowgold' program can't convert it back to an MP3 format for your player. However, you can find a plethora of free online converters that will take your slowed down WAV file and change it to an MP3 file if you so desire. Otherwise you can just 'burn' the file as a standard audio (WAV) file onto a CD for your CD player.
I bought this program about 9 months ago so maybe there are better programs out there now.

#1137011 - 09/02/05 05:58 PM Re: Riff Decoder
kraniak Offline

Funny you should mention SlowGold. I downloaded the demo last night and tried and liked it so I decided to buy the license (actually $49), but bailed halfway through the process because they demanded waaaay too much info (phone numbers, etc.).

I'm actually looking for a piece of hardware to do this as I don't want to bring a PC into the living room with my piano - I prefer just a little gizmo.

Thanks for the response. BTW, is it helping you to pull apart chops?

#1137012 - 09/02/05 06:18 PM Re: Riff Decoder
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
You might look at the Tascam CD-VT1 Vocal Trainer

Although it has some features aimed specifically at vocalists (like reducing the center vocals on recordings), it is also a CD player that knows several tricks with tempo, pitch, and looping that can be useful for any musician. It seems to be about $150 at Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, etc.

The high-end products in this area are probably the SuperScope line ( www.superscopetechnologies.com ) but they are much more expensive.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1137013 - 09/03/05 07:16 PM Re: Riff Decoder
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
 Quote:
Originally posted by kraniak:
I'm looking for a device that will easily and cheaply slow down the music, allowing you to pick apart complex passages. I know there are old tools out there that do this by slowing a cassette by one-half speed (1/2 speed will preserve key, albeit, one octave lower). Supposedly there are newer, digital products that will allow varied decreases in speed while preserving pitch.

Anyone familiar with or using such devises that can provide some input? I found one such product but would like to see other options (http://www.sabine.com/newsite/liveapps/ibktraka.htm)

Thanks! [/b]
I use software called Transcribe from http://www.seventhstring.co.uk

The license fee is about $40, and it works well. I'd like them to go a step further and post the notes on a staff (right now they show waveforms above a piano keyboard, and you have to chose the notes yourself.)

Anyway, give it a look-see.

#1137014 - 09/05/05 02:13 AM Re: Riff Decoder
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
There is a hardware device made by Superscope that does the job. Check it out at
www.superscopetechnologies.com
I use Transcribe. What is very helpful for transcribing heavy jazz chords is the harmonic spectrum analysis where you can see the notes of the chords on a keyboard at the bottom of the screen. A great way to check on your ear training.

#1137015 - 09/05/05 02:14 AM Re: Riff Decoder
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
There is a hardware device made by Superscope that does the job. Check it out at
www.superscopetechnologies.com
I use Transcribe. What is very helpful for transcribing heavy jazz chords is the harmonic spectrum analysis where you can see the notes of the chords on a keyboard at the bottom of the screen. A great way to check on your ear training.

#1137016 - 09/05/05 10:39 PM Re: Riff Decoder
kraniak Offline

Thanks for the responses. I pressed my laptop into service and downloaded Transcribe. It seems to be the most cost-effective solution for me.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
12/19/14 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
12/19/14 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
12/19/14 03:05 AM
Urgent need of help to learn Songs
by Fominator
12/19/14 02:11 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:36 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159973 Topics
2349294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission