Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1137549 - 12/27/06 04:19 PM Best pop/rock pianists?
Astra Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Hi!
I dont know many pop/rock pianists but I wondered whos the best. Fe. Billy Joel, Elton John, Freddie Mercury, Stevie Wonder, ...
Could someone compare these and maybe any others?

Thanks

Piano & Music Accessories
#1137550 - 12/27/06 06:43 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Loc: USA
If you're asking who's the "best" from a technical standpoint, it would be pretty hard to make a valid comparison on an internet website.

From a sales perspective, Billy Joel has sold more records/CD's than any other pop/rock piano player in history. However, that doesn't necessarily mean his music is the "best".

As to who made the "best" music is a matter of personal preference and opinion. In my opinion, I would rate those you mentioned as follows:

1. Elton John
2. Billy Joel
3. Stevie Wonder
4. Freddie Mercury

Elton could compose, play and sing subtle, beautiful songs like "Candle in the Wind", as well as really rocking tunes like "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting". He's the easy #1 in my opinion.

Jerry Lee Lewis was a talented and influential pop/rock pianist you neglected to mention. His unique style and showmanship were par excellent. He definitely belongs on any short list of outstanding pop/rock pianists.

#1137551 - 12/27/06 06:54 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
I do think Billy Joel might have an edge on most of the rock pop pianists, as he not only plays well and sings, but he writes both lyrics and music. He also does well as a video entertainer.
He is extremely versatile... has written all sorts of genre... including some classical and broadway.

Ray Charles was left out too. He was one of the most influential pianists and sing songwriters in popular music to this date and like Joel has a wide range of styles including country.

But Elton is no slouch; he fortunately has Taupin and others to collaborate with.

Ray Charles is genius and did more for popular music of many types than JLL.

Freddie Mercury is good... but not as good as these others IMO.

So here is jmo my ranking of the popular rock piano entertainers

Ray Charles
Billy Joel (I am tempted to put BJ above RC but I
give the edge to the fellow Ray Charles who blazed the way for the rest)
Elton John
Stevie Wonder
Jerry Lee Lewis

#1137552 - 12/27/06 07:00 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
The Emperor Offline

Loc: Lagos, Portugal
Keith Emerson, Tony Banks, Rick Wright, Rick Wakeman...big fan of 70's prog rock \:\)

#1137553 - 12/27/06 08:23 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfindmist:
So here is jmo my ranking of the popular rock piano entertainers

Ray Charles
Billy Joel (I am tempted to put BJ above RC but I
give the edge to the fellow Ray Charles who blazed the way for the rest)
Elton John
Stevie Wonder
Jerry Lee Lewis
Judging them as ENTERTAINERS, IMO Jerry Lee Lewis easily beats them all. Nobody I know of brought more energy and excitement to the piano than Jerry Lee, and his ability to "get the joint jumpin' and shakin'" is unequalled.

When he really got going and kicked that piano bench out from under him, he could "rock the house" like no other piano player before or since.

Here is a clip of Jerry Lee's first TV appearance ever, on the Steve Allen show in the 50's. At the end of the song, even the normally reserved Allen comes over and starts jumping around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RppQRBwbhOs

#1137554 - 12/27/06 08:37 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

The original "Mr. Excitement" kicks it into high gear with "Great Balls of Fire":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qa-eKx9Du4

Who says piano playing is "boring"?! Somebody who's never seen Jerry Lee play, that's who!

#1137555 - 12/27/06 08:43 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Jerry Lee Lewis performing "Breathless", and as usual, he left his screaming audience breathless!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEbLRRxVx0

#1137556 - 12/27/06 08:55 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Jerry Lee performing "I'm on Fire". No doubt he is, as well as his audience! Check out how excited his audience gets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLVtyRvTEs

#1137557 - 12/27/06 09:00 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Check out the legends in this classic clip! Jerry Lee, Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield (the Righteous Brothers), and the late great Jackie Wilson. Rest in peace, Bobby and Jackie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5EN947EOCc

#1137558 - 12/27/06 09:58 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think JLL pulls Music Lovers heartstrings as much as Ella pulls mine. LOL

Thanks for sharing. BTW I posted "Breathless" by JLL first..... LOL.

#1137559 - 12/27/06 10:23 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Quote:
I think JLL pulls Music Lovers heartstrings as much as Ella pulls mine.
JLL isn't my all-time favorite pop/rock artist, but I don't know of any pop/rock piano player who could "get the joint rockin'" like he did.

In the 50's and 60's, he virtually single-handedly kept the acoustic piano from going extinct in the pop/rock world.

He "passed the torch" to Elton John and Billy Joel in the 70's, who proved that the piano was still alive and well in the rock era.

Elton and Billy are both outstanding, but IMO Elton's melodies and vocals have greater feeling and depth than Billy's.

#1137560 - 12/27/06 10:42 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ray Charles passed the torch to JLL.
Ray be the man.
LOL

#1137561 - 12/27/06 10:42 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

To me, that would be subjective. True, Elton's melodies are powerful things, but I can think of some outstanding songs full of emotion written by BJ (and he did both lyrics and song). BJ is a genius at writing pop lyrics.

Powerful... Goodnight Saigon , River of Dreams; Lullabye, Downeaster Alexa, My Baby Grand, Allen Town, Shameless, The Piano Man, Honesty, You're My Home, New York State Of Mind

For example:
Goodnight Saigon is a touching tribute to those who served in the Vietnam war. The intervals in the hooks/fills are there to sound oriental. Yet the tune also sounds classical at parts.

Excerpted Lyrics in Goodnight Saigon...

Remember Charlie, remember Baker
They left their Childhood on every acre
And who was wrong, and who was right
It didn't matter in the thick of the fight

We held the day in the palms of our hands
They held the night and the night
seemed to last as long as,

Six weeks on Paris Island
We held the coast line
They held the highlands

And they were sharp,
As sharp as knives
They heard the hum of the motors
They counted the rotors
And waited for us to arrive...

And we would all go down together...
We said we'd all go down together...

Quote:
Originally posted by Music Lover:
 Quote:
I think JLL pulls Music Lovers heartstrings as much as Ella pulls mine.
JLL isn't my all-time favorite pop/rock artist, but I don't know of any pop/rock piano player who could "get the joint rockin'" like he did.

In the 50's and 60's, he virtually single-handedly kept the acoustic piano from going extinct in the pop/rock world.

He "passed the torch" to Elton John and Billy Joel in the 70's, who proved that the piano was still alive and well in the rock era.

Elton and Billy are both outstanding, but IMO Elton's melodies and vocals have greater feeling and depth than Billy's. [/b]

#1137562 - 12/27/06 11:04 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Quote:
Ray Charles passed the torch to JLL. Ray be the man.
I don't know if the two are a real good comparison, Wolfie. And I'm not saying that to take anything away from the great Ray Charles. But they played completely different genres of music and had distinctly different styles.

Ray Charles was primarily a classic R&B piano player, while JLL was an all-out "rocker". I've never considered Ray's music to be rock.

JLL was a rock pianist, Ray an R&B pianist. Both undisputed legends in their own right.

Elton John proved he could "rock out" with songs like "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting", as well as play incredibly sensitive pieces like "Candle in the Wind".

Most of Billy Joel's music never really appealed to me, though there's no disputing he has been tremendously popular with many people. He's also a fine pop piano player. IMO, Elton's music had greater emotional depth.

#1137563 - 12/27/06 11:13 PM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Quote:
To me, that would be subjective.
Which is precisely why I included the abbreviation "IMO" in my statement that you're referring to. As I'm sure you already know, that means "In My Opinion". And I was referring to Elton's melodies and vocals, not the lyrics in his songs. \:\)

And as a lyricist, I'll take Bernie Taupin over Billy Joel in a heartbeat. But to each his own! I'm not criticizing your opinions in any way. ;\)

#1137564 - 12/28/06 12:40 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
The late Billy Preston is probably a good name to include on a list of rock/pop keyboard greats.

"Preston's career highlights include stints with The Stones, The Family Stone, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Mahalia Jackson, Aretha and of course the last three albums with The Beatles as well as the last ever of their performances on the roof, The Concert for Bangladesh, The Concert for George, tours with Clapton, George, Ringo and a stellar solo career singing and/or playing on monster hits "Out A Space," "Nothing From Nothing" and "Will It Go Round In Circles.""

"More recently, Billy can be heard on the latest albums by Neil Diamond and Red Hot Chili Peppers. He's also featured on the Starbucks soul album "Believe to My Soul" featuring Mavis Staples and Ann Peebles."

#1137565 - 12/28/06 12:46 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
euclid10540 Offline

I can't believe everyone is overlooking the greatest pop piano player ever - Neil Sedaka! From his biography on his official website:
 Quote:
It was classical music that shaped the musicianship of the young Neil Sedaka. At the age of eight, he had already begun his intensive classical piano training at the prestigious Juilliard School of Music, practicing up to five hours a day. And by the time Sedaka was sixteen, Artur Rubinstein voted him one of the finest classical pianists in New York City high schools. Classical music has always remained a passion for Sedaka, and though he once considered earning a doctorate in the field, it was not where he chose to forge his legend.
You should obtain his album Classically Sedaka, where he adds his own lyrics to classical songs like Liebestraume and Fur Elise. The man enjoyed two careers, early rock and roll in the early sixties, and a revival in the early seventies.

Listen to him, live in concert, and decide for yourself. You won't be disappointed, even though Neil recently celebrated his seventieth birthday.

Neil is still writing and singing hit records after fifty years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVCLdzBYjEs

#1137566 - 12/28/06 01:04 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

But... 50's rock and roll came forth from the R&B origins. Blues from the Missipi Delta came first...then Jazz which spread when blacks (northern migration) came up north for jobs ... origins are for R&B from hymns, black spirituals, blues and Jazz (R.C. 's I Got A Woman melody).... then came Rock and Roll.

Ray has had an influence on almost every kind of modern popular music.... witness RC's spirtual and country music contribution's.

I guess I'd have to say that I would tend to give the advantage towards the musician who has influenced all of the various popular music genres out there the most. But I would also say all these musicians we are discussing here in this thread have at least made significant contributions in their specific genre(s).

All have earned their due respect and are great at what they do in music.

Quote:
 Quote:
Ray Charles passed the torch to JLL. Ray be the man.
I don't know if the two are a real good comparison, Wolfie. And I'm not saying that to take anything away from the great Ray Charles. But they played completely different genres of music and had distinctly different styles.

Ray Charles was primarily a classic R&B piano player, while JLL was an all-out "rocker". I've never considered Ray's music to be rock.

JLL was a rock pianist, Ray an R&B pianist. Both undisputed legends in their own right.

Elton John proved he could "rock out" with songs like "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting", as well as play incredibly sensitive pieces like "Candle in the Wind".

Most of Billy Joel's music never really appealed to me, though there's no disputing he has been tremendously popular with many people. He's also a fine pop piano player. IMO, Elton's music had greater emotional depth. [/b]

#1137567 - 12/28/06 01:07 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ray Charles Thread---
Videos and Articles here, recently posted

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/37/689.html

#1137568 - 12/28/06 01:08 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
Music Lover Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by euclid10540:
I can't believe everyone is overlooking the greatest pop piano player ever - Neil Sedaka!
That's a pretty subjective statement on your part, Euclid. Please explain exactly what makes him allegedly the "greatest pop piano player ever". \:\)

#1137569 - 12/28/06 01:12 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here is another thread that was posted recently on Billy Joel in the Piano Forum Board... this thread has some great Billy Joel Videos in it including River of dreams, The Piano Man, Goodnight Saigon, and more.

Earlier thread on Billy Joel:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/16260.html

#1137570 - 12/28/06 01:15 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Neil sedaka; yes he wrote some fun pop songs but he seems less popular amongst the younger crowd.
BJ and EJ attract fans young and old. Calender Girl was one of his hits.

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by euclid10540:
I can't believe everyone is overlooking the greatest pop piano player ever - Neil Sedaka!
That's a pretty subjective statement on your part, Euclid. Please explain exactly what makes him allegedly the "greatest pop piano player ever". \:\) [/b]

#1137571 - 12/28/06 01:16 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I like both Taupins and Joels lyrics myself.

Quote:
 Quote:
To me, that would be subjective.
Which is precisely why I included the abbreviation "IMO" in my statement that you're referring to. As I'm sure you already know, that means "In My Opinion". And I was referring to Elton's melodies and vocals, not the lyrics in his songs. \:\)

And as a lyricist, I'll take Bernie Taupin over Billy Joel in a heartbeat. But to each his own! I'm not criticizing your opinions in any way. ;\) [/b]

#1137572 - 12/28/06 01:18 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Billy Joel doing New York State Of Mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeSWaHdlVow

BTW this tune has been covered by Bennett and Streisand.

#1137573 - 12/28/06 01:21 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Scenes from Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqgZgdkzoc

Now on this song... his (B. Joel's) style reminds me of some of the things Elton does in his playing. the same kind of feel to it.

#1137574 - 12/28/06 01:22 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
euclid10540 Offline

Okay, so Neil Sedaka is one of the greats, or at least should be mentioned with the greatest. I mention him strictly on his piano playing abilities, not as an entertainer, or rock and roll pioneer.

I feel certain if you asked Billy Joel or Elton John, they would defer to Neil for his classical background. EJ even did a song with Neil, Bad Blood. Neil has written, many hit pop songs, including two versions of the very popular Breaking Up is Hard To Do.

Also taken from his website:
 Quote:
Sedaka has embarked on a marriage of an entirely different sort by returning to the classical roots of his early years. With original romantic lyrics written by Sedaka, and set to the music of Beethoven, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, and Tchaikovsky, he has released a collection of these songs on Classically Sedaka. He has already performed a selection of these songs with many symphonies across the United States and the United Kingdom, including the Richmond Symphony, the Jacksonville Symphony, the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, and the New York Pops at Carnegie Hall. Both the critical and audience response have been phenomenal. Classically Sedaka has gone on to earn a gold record in Europe.
So, strictly from a piano playing point of view, I personally feel Neil Sedaka is one of the grestest pop piano players ever, with a career spanning six decades.

#1137575 - 12/28/06 01:27 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good Night Saigon by Billy Joel link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvIE32rdvKU

this is the pretty much the way he did it at the concert I saw... with the chopper sounds, film clips in the background,
and the singers dressed like a band of brothers. At the concert I was at they had some local vietnam vets join the circle of the band of brothers. It was very moving.

#1137576 - 12/28/06 01:31 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You know all of these artists would say they aren't no.1 Rock Pianist... all would feel almost embarrassed if someone gave them an award for being no.1 anything.

They all respect each other's body of work.
They are all professionals in the business of making music. And the cool thing is they put the piano up front and center as the instrument of choice.

#1137577 - 12/28/06 01:37 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1137578 - 12/28/06 01:37 AM Re: Best pop/rock pianists?
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Allentown performed live in Long Island Concert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOkxnk1hxRo&mode=related&search=

Below is a picture of Ray Charles and Billy joel recording "Baby Grand"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, ajames, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1554 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318796 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission