Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
72 registered (36251, ando, 661-Pete, Al LaPorte, 20 invisible), 1124 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1138030 - 02/25/07 12:56 PM Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Agathis Offline

Loc: Southwest
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cWgcd8mpNXE

I know I am opening myself up to the jabs but hey, I am willing to learn. It's not great by any means and I am just now learning how to do video so it is what it is. \:\)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1138031 - 02/25/07 01:34 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Liverpool_poet Offline

Loc: Liverpool-Capital of culture 2...
very cool! just move the camera a bit more to the left so we can see your hands a bit more clearly (but still keeping your face in shot).

I'd like to see more...

\:\)

#1138032 - 02/25/07 03:16 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Liverpool_poet Offline

p.s. what are you playing it on, is it on your Baldwin Pianovelle GPS 3600 Digital Grand

??

I just have to thank you for bringing this to my attention, I saw you mention it on another thread and I'm chuffed to bits to have found it;

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathis:
you don't want any of those greatest hits books, by 'the billy joel keyboard book' on amazon and have it to your door for less than $19 (oh, i noticed you aren't in the us, shipping might be a bit more \:\) if you really want to know what he plays, this is the book. same for the elton version as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Joel-Keyboar...ie=UTF8&s=books [/b]
Put some of your Billy Joel stuff onto youtube!!!!! \:\) \:\) \:\)

#1138033 - 02/25/07 11:26 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Nicely done. Sounded great!

#1138034 - 02/26/07 10:07 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Agathis Offline

thanks, actually, I am using my 'recording rig' for that one. i have a problem of logistics in my house. the Baldwin GPS 3600 is in my living room, about 70 feet from the spare bedroom that houses all of my music stuff. only reason i use my bedroom piano instead of Baldwin is because my recording pc with firewire recording thingy sits in that bedroom so it's just easier than to disassemble a rack mound recording thing and take a desktop pc.monitor etc into living room, someday i will do it but i am just now starting to learn so not yet, i don't think my wife will be too tolerant of a desktop pc sitting on the living room coffee table very long, \:\)

i was using an old Korg full size digital on that video but instead of the Korg voice, I am using an old Oberheim piano module called 'mini-grand.' 64 poly, it was pretty good in it's day, around 1995 i think. i don't mind playing it, its still fun and a m ajor step up from the korg c5000. interesting thing, it records better than it sounds... kinda weird. i got the korg in 1989 and have been literally pounding the he__ out of it for close to 20 years and there isn't anything mechanically wrong with it whatsoever... it has survived many home 'rock concerts' without ever showing signs of use even. i was about 20 when i got it so ya know its been thru it..

#1138035 - 02/26/07 11:23 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Gilbert Offline

Loc: Ireland
I am really impressed, fantastic!

Piano: Roland FP-7

#1138036 - 02/26/07 04:41 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Agathis Offline

Thanks a bunch! \:\)

#1138037 - 02/26/07 05:37 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Codetta Offline

Loc: Chino Hills, CA
I liked it: GOOD JOB!!!! - that's one of my favorites. I also Like Elton John's music (don't tell any classical pianist's though . . .:-) )

Private Piano Teacher
Member: Music Teachers' Association of California
Evaluator: Certificate of Merit
Organist/Pianist: Christ Lutheran Church, West Covina

#1138038 - 02/27/07 10:11 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
That was great, but I wanted to hear the whole song!

Am I understanding you correctly that this was taken from sheet music? The post above said "same for the Elton John version," so I'm guessing there is a book that has note for note transcriptions? That's really cool.

#1138039 - 02/28/07 04:03 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
That was great, but I wanted to hear the whole song!

Am I understanding you correctly that this was taken from sheet music? The post above said "same for the Elton John version," so I'm guessing there is a book that has note for note transcriptions? That's really cool. [/b]
Though covered well, it wasn't note for note. If that's exactly what's written in the transcript, there are some slight inconsistancies.

http://d.turboupload.com/d/1410287/R1_0010.MP3.html

A downloadable file with examples of my jazz improvising (Accompaniament on Fender Rhodes, lead lines on Acoustic piano):

http://d.turboupload.com/d/229801/R1_0001.MP3.html

#1138040 - 02/28/07 11:26 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Agathis Offline

Quote:
Though covered well, it wasn't note for note. If that's exactly what's written in the transcript, there are some slight inconsistancies.
thanks, its a mix of whats in the Elton John Keyboard transcription book and versions Elton has done of it live over the years. Playing directly from any score is something I have tried to get away from doing. I don't think Elton ever plays something the same twice live and the solo in the EJ Keyboard book is boring compared to the live thing he's been doing. His playing on recordings is much more subdued than live so I tried to mix it up. But yes, it's not anything in particular but a mix..

#1138041 - 02/28/07 11:59 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Liverpool_poet Offline

Quote:
 Quote:
thanks, its a mix of whats in the Elton John Keyboard transcription book and versions Elton has done of it live over the years. Playing directly from any score is something I have tried to get away from doing. I don't think Elton ever plays something the same twice live and the solo in the EJ Keyboard book is boring compared to the live thing he's been doing. His playing on recordings is much more subdued than live so I tried to mix it up. But yes, it's not anything in particular but a mix.. [/b]
my vote goes for "mixing it up" \:\)

#1138042 - 02/28/07 02:03 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Derick II Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
That sounded really good. I wanted to watch more!

I must admit that digital sounds pretty darn good. I haven't heard one that sounded that good in a LONG time.

Derick

#1138043 - 03/05/07 02:04 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
lovepianowoman Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Wow!! I'm so inspired!! Iim not the only one that wanted to see more! Are you playing anymore songs by Elton John or Billy Joel?

#1138044 - 03/05/07 06:18 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
livraf Offline

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Love it ! 2 Thumbs up !

Virtuosic - Hard for me to believe that you would comment on others playing as "wasn't note for note" since you are such a big fan of jazz improv....

Maybe you should enlighten us on the way you would play it...

#1138045 - 03/05/07 06:19 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Agathis Offline

Thanks again, absolutely. I just don't have more ready yet that I am ready to post. Something happens when I hit record, I've heard it referred to as red light fever when ya can't play/sing for some reason when recording, it's getting better though and the compliments are really appreciated. Thanks!

#1138046 - 03/06/07 10:23 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
jowook Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO, USA
Very good job!!

#1138047 - 03/07/07 12:20 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by livraf:
Love it ! 2 Thumbs up !

Virtuosic - Hard for me to believe that you would comment on others playing as "wasn't note for note" since you are such a big fan of jazz improv....

Maybe you should enlighten us on the way you would play it... [/b]
You misinterpreted my post, which I imagin that everyone interpreted correctly. My comments were directed at the transcription, the book that was supposedly offering a note by note transcription of Elton John's piano part. I commented that if what he played on his Youtube video was "as written" in the book, than the book is not selling what it is touting it to be, since there are many different instances between the way Agathis played it and the way Elton played it on the original recording.

I've also found this to be true with alot of the Official Artist Series books as well. I recently picked up two books of Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson that were touted as "note for note" transcriptions on the cover with a forward of how painstakingly the dedicated writer transcribed them. I was going to use them for a few of my advanced students, as I figured it would save me the time of writing it out. I had to make so many corrections that I was cut and pasting staff paper over the errors in voicings, missing notes, and other errata. The next time I was in Sam Ash, I glanced through the Bud Powell Artist series book and while the right hand single note lines were correct, for the most part, the music of the bass clef (his "comp") differed from as recorded.

My criticism wasn't of Agathis' playing, it was of the score, if he were playing it note for note, which as it turned out, he wasn't, which is fine.

A downloadable file with examples of my jazz improvising (Accompaniament on Fender Rhodes, lead lines on Acoustic piano):

#1138048 - 03/07/07 12:25 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
virtuosic1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Thanks again, absolutely. I just don't have more ready yet that I am ready to post. Something happens when I hit record, I've heard it referred to as red light fever when ya can't play/sing for some reason when recording, it's getting better though and the compliments are really appreciated. Thanks! [/b]
Buy a few more tapes, keep the battery charger handy and keep the recorder on when you sit behind the piano to play. Not practice stuff of course, but turn it on when you are playing music. Get used to the recorder. After awhile, you won't even know it's there and you can always cull what you feel you played very well from the tapes to save and erase the rest, this way you'll have a record of it, and you'll get over any red-light anxiety.

Also, buy a tripod and place the camera so the piano keyboard can be seen more readily. There are alot of YouTube users that would really like to see your hands activating the keys if they wish to emulate what you're playing and try it themselves.

#1138049 - 03/08/07 02:17 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
NmbrNine Offline

Loc: West
Nice work Ag, from one valley piano guy to another!

Ever ripped out the gospel progressions from
"Border Song" ????

Holy Moses!!!!!!
I think you might really enjoy that one.

(I'd post 'em here, but I have a feeling you already know them, and my old ASCAP-associated father would probably rise up from the grave and kill me...)

-nine.

#1138050 - 03/08/07 10:17 AM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
InAllKeys Offline

Loc: Elizabeth, NJ
Great solo with some of your own ditties thrown in there for very good measure! I like it. When I play the solo I like to play the Am7, D9 (or is it D11?--I forget) chords in the left hand approximating what Elton did on the original recording. Great job and a great piano patch, too. Sounds nice and crisp like a well-tuned grand! I see you also have guitars and drums in the room --- multi-instrumental?

#1138051 - 03/24/07 04:03 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Liverpool_poet Offline

look what I found!!!!! outstanding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0He85AvQw

#1138052 - 03/24/07 04:29 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Agathis Offline

thank you Liverpool Poet, really appreciate that, when you post these things, particularly with vocals, you really open yourself up to criticism, thankfully, everyone has been kind so far. thanks!

#1138053 - 03/24/07 04:41 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
Agathis Offline

hey nmbrnine, absolutely, I have Border Song about 80% done... The vocals are tough, those pesky high notes, then again, I could just take it down a step like I did Vienna. \:\) great great song and i love eltons more gospely side, real cool

#1138054 - 03/24/07 05:07 PM Re: Youtube video of me doing solo to Bennie and the Jets
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
Awesome Agathis.

You made my day.

Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
Today at 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
Today at 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
Today at 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
Today at 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
Today at 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349741 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission