Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1138572 - 05/09/07 02:10 AM Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Watching jazz/blues players who glissando, it seems every player has their favorite way of sliding down the keyboard. Some use their thumb, index finger knuckle, two fingers, or whole hand.

I tend to use the inside of my second finger knuckle. Has anyone found their preference that works best for you?

I'm sure the wrong way could damage a piano right?

Piano & Music Accessories
#1138573 - 05/09/07 05:30 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Disciple Offline

Loc: NYC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Diane W:
Watching jazz/blues players who glissando, it seems every player has their favorite way of sliding down the keyboard. Some use their thumb, index finger knuckle, two fingers, or whole hand.

I tend to use the inside of my second finger knuckle. Has anyone found their preference that works best for you?

I'm sure the wrong way could damage a piano right? [/b]
The least painful way is coincidentally the superior way from a technical standpoint. The palm or heel of the hand with the fingers outstretched! This makes for a very smooth gliss, even on black keys or a combined white key black key chromatic gliss, the keys struck right at the juncture of where the black keys start to angle where they meet the white keys. Once you adjust the proper plane of your hand (the angle or pitch), this leaves your FINGERS free to react quickly after the gliss without hesitation or even DURING the gliss if you practice this and get good at it! Ahhhh! Sound interesting?

No more finger pain or damaged cuticles either!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5C5gnAqgttY&feature=user

#1138574 - 05/09/07 09:21 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
I usually play fast glissandi with the side of the index knuckle curled slightly. It may be painful for some but I don't find it so. I don't do many of them anyway. It hurts if you use the ridge of your thumb. I sometimes use the flats of my fingers and quickly move my elbow upwards or downwards.

#1138575 - 05/09/07 10:20 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It is interesting that people are wowed by glissandos, yet they are the one thing that someone who does not know how to play the piano can do well.

#1138576 - 05/09/07 07:59 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
westland Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
whether you use the bottom or top of the hands tends to depend on how much you sweat. I generally like my index fingernail going up (RH) and thumbnail (RH) going down. I'd need boxing gloves to use my knuckles for any length of time ... and my palm would only work for an electric keyboard

#1138577 - 05/09/07 11:18 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Disciple Offline

Loc: NYC
 Quote:
Originally posted by westland:
whether you use the bottom or top of the hands tends to depend on how much you sweat. I generally like my index fingernail going up (RH) and thumbnail (RH) going down. I'd need boxing gloves to use my knuckles for any length of time ... and my palm would only work for an electric keyboard [/b]
The palm works beautifully on either the piano action or electronic action. I'm referring specifically to the muscular part of the palm, not the central soft area. The heel of the palm, which is actually made up of the large base of the thumb (before the actual finger) and the adjacent area geographically below the pinky and 4th finger. With the plane or pitch of the hand adjusted properly, and the fingers outstretched and ready to inter-react, it glides effortlessly and you can produce some incredible effect without ever an ounce of discomfort in either direction.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5C5gnAqgttY&feature=user

#1138578 - 05/10/07 10:18 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You guys are the best!

Thanks for all your ideas. I'm still trying them out one by one.

In the beginning, the two fingers glissando was the only one I was using, but after having to bandage the fingers, I resorted to using a piece of cardboard. That's how I discovered how easy it is to damage a piano. Scratches galor on the white keys!

So I will be exploring all your great ideas.

Thanks again! Sincerely. Diane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6swDmjhqF4

Here's some pros using glissandos.

#1138579 - 06/01/07 09:51 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
ktom Offline

Loc: Somerset UK
Ive been using my index/middle fingers for decades - just tried the palm - yeah, that works! You mention damage caused by gliss'. In my experience there is a risk with electronic keyboards - on some of them the key bearings dont seem well designed to cope with the sideways stress of gliss'. Clean technique can minimise this, but I have certainly had to fix keys for cracks that looked like a product of enthusiastic R&R glissandi.. glissandos.. slides. By the way I think it wss Jerry Lee Lewis who said the trick isn't the sliding down the keys - its starting and stopping in the right places:-)

#1138580 - 06/12/07 04:20 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
pangea Offline

I always use the thumb *nail* - it makes it a lot less painful.
I used to use my index finger, but found I had to cope with regular cuts/burns around the knuckle, which makes it hard to write!
It may not be the most professional way, but it works, and its basically painfree!

#1138581 - 06/15/07 03:33 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

pangea,

Looks like you are in good company! If you watch Jerry Lee Lewis in the about mentioned Youtube video, that's exactly how he plays. With his thumb nail.

I'm still trying out all the suggested methods.

Diane
Blues/Jazz/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher

#1138582 - 06/15/07 05:15 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
ktom Offline

I sometimes use a thumbnail but it only works well in one direction (RH down or LH up) if you want to do flash two way slides you need to use your fingers as well or instead. If I have time over the weekend I might see I can can put a demo of the various techniques I can cope with on youtube. There are a couple on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsAJLc-LR2c

#1138583 - 06/15/07 07:01 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Kisch Offline

Loc: Bristol
 Quote:
It is interesting that people are wowed by glissandos, yet they are the one thing that someone who does not know how to play the piano can do well.
I think it partly depends on where and how they're done - at just the right moment at a climax they can be very effective. I don't think anyone would be wowed at a solo that consisted of nothing but glissandos!

#1138584 - 06/15/07 07:15 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
ktom Offline

Indeed - I think glissando fatigue can arise very quickly in any audience - in addition, no-one believes anything is difficult if you can do it several times in a row. More is less!!

#1138585 - 06/22/07 05:52 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
erad1948 Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I use my middle finger fingernail while bracing that finger from behind with my thumb. I don't usually glissando with my left hand, but would do the same. The other direction would require the thumb fingernail. The nails slide better than the flesh of a finger... at least I think so.

#1138586 - 06/22/07 11:36 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Monty Alexander uses his thumbnail at 1:00 in this clip. I thinks it's foolish using anything besides the fingernails for glissandos. The lips on the edges of piano keys will cut the flesh. Hammond organ players uses the fleshy parts of their hands because the keys are lighter and have a waterfall design without edges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7RKWE5Xb88

#1138587 - 06/23/07 02:45 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
ktom Offline

Nice clip - wish it were longer:-)

#1138588 - 06/23/07 11:07 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
ktom Offline

Heres some fireworks from Oscar Peterson finishing with some glissandi - using thumbnail..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kNvWQgkDcs
votes rising for the humble thumble:-)

#1138589 - 06/27/07 07:42 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Have been experimenting with all the glissando methods suggested and am really so loving using the thumbnail! Effortless really! Have to turn my hand sideways and tighten up a bit. The tip of the thumbnail glides down the keyboard really well, and it doesn't hurt!

Watching Jerry Lee Lewis' glissando using both hands, up and down the keyboard, helped quite a bit too! (So thankful for Youtube!)

PS: By the way, does anyone know why Jerry Lee Lewis was wearing a brace on his left hand in the Youtube video? Was it broken or something?

Thanks again for all your suggestions! All I know for sure is, no more bandages!

Diane,

#1138590 - 06/29/07 02:51 PM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jerry probably has tendonitis. Playing in a brace can make it worse though.

#1138591 - 07/04/07 01:19 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joe Sample recording at Abbey Roads Studios (Beatles room) plays a fast glissando at 3:06, he could only do that with his thumb nail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZguZw7Wagg

#1138592 - 07/05/07 01:35 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
I seem to remember Oscar Peterson uses his nail. Surely the nail gives a more friction free contact.

I rarely use glissando's in my impro's they seem to dramatic and un-pianistical.

Alan

#1138593 - 07/05/07 10:44 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Alan, are you saying you never use a glissando? Is this too dramatic and un-pianistical to you?

If this is child's play, then I say, let the child play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfzINXbPx5Y

Diane,

#1138594 - 07/08/07 02:38 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Diane

Hello,

Thanks for the 'you-tube' clip. Great stuff.

No, I agree that with a boogie style, glissando is fine. I have used them and just a RH 2nd finger no problem. With tough skin that I have, unfortunately, nothing on the piano hurts except joint pains, at 79 you get these. And I'm still working for a living and driving a classic Caterpillar D8 with no lightweight controls.

This girl of 11 is great, even better than Ray in my view. Boogie is super and a few short Glisses are good.

Lastly, the digital is so easy and bears no comparison with an acoustic, I find, but is great for practice due to its ease in everything except timbre.

Alan

PS;
Western Canada is superb too we went there last year, you breed some good pianists in Canada too don't you!

#1138595 - 07/08/07 05:56 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
ktom Offline

Not just Boogie!!!! Here is Horowitz playing Rachmaninoff...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1hgzvuR-tk&mode=related&search=
See what he does around 35 seconds in.... (he uses my preferred technique - fingernail) Anyway just enjoy the video - fabulous stuff!!

#1138596 - 07/11/07 12:58 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
jwjazz Offline

Loc: New York
For the black keys I like to use the ball of my fingers, with my fingers outstretched and my hand slanted.
Or I spread my hands about an octave in a V-shape, thumb one way, 4 fingers the other way, with the 4 fingers touching each other, and you can grab about the entire octave of black keys, and then gliss that way.

#1138597 - 07/11/07 02:36 AM Re: Glissando - Jazz/Blues Style
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ref; Horowitz youtube download.

I have waited for 20 minutes or so and no playing yet on the utube download.

I have had 'youtube' working usually so what might be the problem? anybody please.

swingal

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (36251, Beemer, AmyHsu, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, ando, 20 invisible), 1208 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250128 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
04/17/14 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
04/17/14 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission