Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1140062 - 07/30/05 03:16 PM more than one piano teacher = bad?
ignorant kid Offline

Loc: Poquoson, Virginia
Since I was 8, I've gotten classical training, and more recently (im 15) I got a serious classical piano teacher.

I've been getting more and more interested in jazz, and often find myself making up stuff, improvising, etc instead of practicing my classical material, sometimes for hours at a time.

My question is, should I get a jazz piano teacher aside from my classical one, and could having two different teachers negatively affect my progress in each genre. Also should I mention this idea to my classical teacher? Maybe jazz is better self-taught?

I haven't talked to my parents about this idea yet, but I wanted to get some feedback from people who know more about jazz, jazz teachers. etc

Thanks,

Piano & Music Accessories
#1140063 - 07/30/05 04:01 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
kateriniparalia Offline

Loc: Cali
Based on what you said, it sounds like you'd get a lot out of pursuing jazz, and you really should consider getting a jazz teacher. I'm lucky in that I was able to find someone really awesome, and my learning has really taken off since then. I think that if you're serious about the music, you'd best not rely on self-teaching alone. There's definitely great value in exploring ideas on your own, but you're almost 100% guaranteed to progress much faster, and becomes a better musician, if you find a good teacher. There are just too many subtleties that books, etc., can't comprehensively teach you for you to rely on them alone. Also, the feedback that a teacher can provide you is priceless, and goes a long way.

It's fine to have two teachers: one for each genre (unless, of course, you wanted to try to find a new teacher who does both--such an animal does exist, however they're harder to find). And I don't see any reason why you couldn't cultivate jazz and classical competence at the same time. It's really just going to double your practice time, but since you're only 15, go for it while you still can. Once you're in the rat race, it's a different story!!

By the way, many people who make the leap from classical to jazz struggle with improvisation and swing, but since you've already been tinkering with improvisation, you've probably got a decent head start already. That's to say you're obviously not too intimidated to give it a shot. It's common for folks to have psychological, etc. barriers to such a thing.

Jazz rocks, and you'll have a blast! Good luck.

#1140064 - 07/30/05 04:36 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
ignorant kid Offline

Thank you very much for your encouraging feebback. I do plan to pursue a career as a pianist (I've made a few professional appearances, actually...) I've been exposed to jazz all of my musical life and, I have to admit, when I first heard it, I hated it. But that's also exactly what I thought when I heard classical. I love the attention I get when I'm the youngest one at a jazz concert (or even a classical one). I guess tastes mature with time.

I've tried hitting the books and trying to learn jazz, but none of it worked for me - it was all either too easy or too technical and incomprehensive.

As for performing, I find jazz MUCH more fun to perform for an audience than classical (Not that I dont like performing classical) -not as much pressure for right notes, strict musicality, etc, and I like the way it's kinda "laid back" and it provides, IMO for a much more comfortable and relaxed performing experience.

I'll definately do some research and asking around about some good jazz musicians/teachers in my area. My only setback would be paying for the lessons on top of my classical lessons.

#1140065 - 08/01/05 08:49 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
ignorant kid Offline

bump ;\)

#1140066 - 08/02/05 12:54 AM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
ssdavis48 Offline

Loc: San Diego
I wish you all the best in your search for the right teacher(s).

It is possible for jazz and classical music to coexist in the same body. There is a great musician (trumpet) named Wynton Marsalis. He is the artistic director for the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra in New York. He has won 8 grammies for both jazz and classical music. You might want to check out his biography on his website-- http://www.wyntonmarsalis.net/main1.html

Again, good luck in your search.
Yamaha S90 Synth

#1140067 - 08/04/05 02:13 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
ignorant kid Offline

any more comments?

#1140068 - 08/05/05 11:36 AM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
Rob Mullins Offline

Loc: LA CA
Hi,
Having your technique at a strong stage in your classical is really helpful when approaching jazz. Be careful to not inspire fighting between the two teachers through you-a lot of teachers are very particular about what they do and won't be that openminded about you doing both.

#1140069 - 08/06/05 07:32 AM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
kawai9046 Offline

I am a jazz pianist and teacher. Over the years, I have had and still have classical piano students study jazz piano with me. It works if you have the time and energy...the combined workload can become a bit overwhelming. Up to this point I have not had a problem with conflicting pedagogy styles since the material and approach are so different. The students I've had were usually organized, focused and dedicated to music and practicing. I say go for it. One last thing to think about: Some of my classically-trained pianists come for a lesson on an as-needed basis. It works for me.

#1140070 - 08/06/05 01:34 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
ignorant kid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Mullins:
Hi,
Having your technique at a strong stage in your classical is really helpful when approaching jazz. Be careful to not inspire fighting between the two teachers through you-a lot of teachers are very particular about what they do and won't be that openminded about you doing both. [/b]
Thanks for the suggestion. I think it sounds like a good idea to keep jazz and classical material isolated whil at lessons. Wouldn't want a fight (although It could probably get pretty interesting...) :p

#1140071 - 08/06/05 02:04 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
ignorant kid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kawai9046:
I am a jazz pianist and teacher. Over the years, I have had and still have classical piano students study jazz piano with me. It works if you have the time and energy...the combined workload can become a bit overwhelming. Up to this point I have not had a problem with conflicting pedagogy styles since the material and approach are so different. The students I've had were usually organized, focused and dedicated to music and practicing. I say go for it. One last thing to think about: Some of my classically-trained pianists come for a lesson on an as-needed basis. It works for me. [/b]
Thanks for the reply.

I imagine most classically trained students that are interested in pursuing jazz instruction would have an idea beforehand about they extra time commitment. They are most likely already organized, focused and dedicated to music and practice if they have already had serious classical training. I'm interested in becoming a pianist and I think anyone who is would know that time, dedication, and focus is essential.

P.S.- Kawai9064, may I ask if you make a living as a jazz pianist and teacher?

#1140072 - 08/06/05 04:35 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
kawai9046 Offline

Primarily teaching. Been teaching for 35 years. Not playing as much jazz as I'd like to; tough to make a living playing only jazz gigs..the reality of the business, I guess.

#1140073 - 08/07/05 02:05 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
neciebuggs Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chula Vista
Hey Kid... how is VA? \:\) I cant say I miss it yet... especially the humidity!! (I was in Va Beach for 8 years)... I know of a jazz camp here in CA that is pretty amazing and I am personal friends with one of the proffessors... I suggest you find something like that to attend. Definately 2 teachers, but ensure your classical teacher knows of your goals, maybe he/she knows of someone who can get you on track with out interfering with her teaching. I have seen the kids play at jazz camp after only playing classical, and one magical week gives them such an edge! Seriously! It is a traditional jazz camp... but great things happen there. Not sure there are any on the east coast... but I know this one runs about $600 for the week, then you would need airfare to sacramento. Also I believe you have to audition to get in (send a recording). Email me if you want the link to it.

NO I am not involved at all with the camp... just have seen wonderful things happen. They also have an adult camp that I WISH i could go to! Maybe one year.

#1140074 - 08/07/05 08:11 PM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
ignorant kid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by neciebuggs:
Hey Kid... how is VA? \:\) I cant say I miss it yet... especially the humidity!! (I was in Va Beach for 8 years)... I know of a jazz camp here in CA that is pretty amazing and I am personal friends with one of the proffessors... I suggest you find something like that to attend. Definately 2 teachers, but ensure your classical teacher knows of your goals, maybe he/she knows of someone who can get you on track with out interfering with her teaching. I have seen the kids play at jazz camp after only playing classical, and one magical week gives them such an edge! Seriously! It is a traditional jazz camp... but great things happen there. Not sure there are any on the east coast... but I know this one runs about $600 for the week, then you would need airfare to sacramento. Also I believe you have to audition to get in (send a recording). Email me if you want the link to it.

NO I am not involved at all with the camp... just have seen wonderful things happen. They also have an adult camp that I WISH i could go to! Maybe one year. [/b]
Hey. Virginia isn't bad, but it's hot and humid as usual. (It was 103 degrees one day last week, with 100% humidity)

Piano camp would be something I'd definately look into. It's too late this summer, but I'm looking at a few for next year (especially Brevard in NC). Sacremento is a bit far for me to travel, but I know there are some good ones on the East Coast.

I have some connections at the university nearby and I'm gonna e-mail their jazz director and ask if he knows any good jazz pianists/teachers I could get in touch with.

Thanks for the reply.
(BTW, how does CA compare with Va Beach?)

#1140075 - 08/08/05 12:40 AM Re: more than one piano teacher = bad?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A jazz camp can be a lot of fun and inspiring but you cannot really get enough information, explanation or enough time to assimilate much in such a short time period as a week. Learning to play jazz piano is a slow and long-time consuming process. It would be a little bit like trying to learn to be a doctor in one week.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (a-z0-9, angga888, Atrys, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, 22 invisible), 1152 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294622 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission