2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Reaper978:
I would be pretty upset too if I spent my entire life pursuing music only to have some people on the internet rip me down for no apparent reason.
Why? What do you care what some moron says or thinks about you? Picking a fight with them -- which is what they want -- won't change their opinion anyway, at least not for the better. Validating yourself through the opinions of others is a pretty lousy way to feel good about yourself.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Some people need to repeat on a daily basis "It's just the Internet."

If you can't take the heat - people differing with your opinion - without getting pompous and defensive, maybe your should stay out of the kitchen.

I belong to another forum where - among many other things - we talk about piano because a lot of us are piano player - some professional, and most amateur (me the latter).

A person joined, announced himself as a professional here to help all of us, made assumptions of other members based on reading 1 or 2 posts, and generally made an *** of himself. When some of us gave him feedback ("Uhh...we actually have teachers who tell us obvious things like 'practice hands separate,' and we're here really just to discuss, and if we don't ask specific questions then please don't assume advice is being solicited. Also, I don't really agree with you about....anyway," he got really defensive, and name calling obnoxious.

Too bad, some of the music on his Website was kind of nice, and I'm sure he would have good things to contribute with a different attitude, and signal to noise ratio.

If you go to a dinner party only to yell and throw food whenever someone disagrees with you - no matter how smart you are - guess what, you don't get invited back.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by AD:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5C5gnAqgttY&feature=user

For the record, Disciple playing. Speaks volumes.

If there are any other clips of him, I for one would love to see them.
And so would everyone else. As they say - one swallow does not a summer make. Or, more Teutonically, einmal ist keinmal.

By the way I shall be a happy 52 next week not the innocent (I couldn't go through that again) 18 presumed by innominato.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jeez, you're old... wink

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
A youngster, by my books. Which makes me a youngster too. KbK, as well as almost being an age-mate, are you a fellow Aquarian or more of the fishy variety - said fish being known of being able to swim in opposite directions yet maintain unity, if you look at the horoscope sign.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
[edit] never mind!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Monica,

It all started to fall apart when he said he could play the Chopin Etudes and the Godowsky Chopin Etudes. I must admit I don't really understand why that caused so much skepticism given his background and skills...

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/17070.html#000012

[edit] too late!

ocd Offline
Originally posted by Innominato:
Jeez, you're old... wink
Getting older is like driving: it is a privilege, not a right. A privilege that can be cancelled at any time.

ocd

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen."
The problem is that someone at this level will obviously react at 18 year old music students challenging him.
Like a number of others, this passage struck me.

I have NOT read the thread in question, nor do I plan to. I have read plenty that seem like it.

I suspect there is plenty of guilt to throw around.

First, a true master can be a good and patient teacher. Young people are often arrogant. After all, they know what life is all about and the secrets of the universe are all plain to them! One of the jobs of us 'older folks' is to suggest to them, patiently and without venom, that their certainty about everything may prevent them from gaining a deeper understanding.

On the other hand, we all know that the anonymity of the internet creates a hot house in which the worst aspects of personality often dominate. Somebody has to be the adult, and if no one chooses to step up to that role we get a meltdown.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
What a shame to lose such a great player. I am listening to his video right now--he is magic. I have not read the thread it question either, but he's amazing and seemed to be a very great asset to this group. I have never encountered him myself, nor have I really "met" him here on piano forums, but it is sad that his knowledge is lost to us.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good grief. "...his knowledge is lost to us...." Sheesh. You'd think we were talking about Bach himself... particularly absurd coming from someone who admittedly has "never encountered" the guy, on the forums or otherwise, or even read the damn thread.

Let's be clear: we are not talking about Bach himself. Hardly. And might I suggest that people actually read the thread before making these profound statements? (You, too, David... You might find it a little beyond what you are used to around here....)

There are plenty of "great players" on these forums, and among them there is no shortage of kind, patient, decent, generous, thoughtful people, who will share their knowledge graciously, without embarrasingly overblown self-aggrandizement. We can quite easily do without the latter.

W
W
Originally posted by AD:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5C5gnAqgttY&feature=user

For the record, Disciple playing. Speaks volumes.

If there are any other clips of him, I for one would love to see them.
I am sorry that this man feels he has been "driven out" (perhaps resigned, or "gone off in a huff" may be a more apt description). His contributions to the forum were so profound I can't actually recall ever having read any of them.
However having seen his video I quite admire his touch if not his tune.
Should he wish to return does he really have to tinkle his ivories wearing fishnet stockings? or was that a trick of the light on the video?

K
K
Im an aquarian too - also heading towards antiquarian:-)

Steinway K - Kurzweil PC 88(wrecked and sold for spares) - Yamaha S90 - rhodes 760 - korg wavestation- Hammond XK1 etc..
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by J. Mark:
Good grief. "...his knowledge is lost to us...." Sheesh. You'd think we were talking about Bach himself... particularly absurd coming from someone who admittedly has "never encountered" the guy, on the forums or otherwise, or even read the damn thread.

Let's be clear: we are not talking about Bach himself.
If Bach were rude, arrogant, psychotic and aggressive with me I wouldn't give a damn about his genius and kick him out. If anyone is willing to be abused, mistreated and insulted just to have the chance to learn something new from a master ... I just say good luck with your self-confidence!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
The problem is that someone at this level will obviously react at 18 year old music students challenging him.
Like a number of others, this passage struck me.

I have NOT read the thread in question, nor do I plan to. I have read plenty that seem like it.

I suspect there is plenty of guilt to throw around.

First, a true master can be a good and patient teacher. Young people are often arrogant. After all, they know what life is all about and the secrets of the universe are all plain to them! One of the jobs of us 'older folks' is to suggest to them, patiently and without venom, that their certainty about everything may prevent them from gaining a deeper understanding.

Read the thread. No one acted like he knows everything about life and the secret of the universe ... except him!

There was no young (what the heck of a difference does it make is criticism comes from a young one or an older one?!) guy acting arrogant and presumptuous with him.

People were not skeptic of his claim just disturbed by all that pomposity that he believed allowed him to defend his dogmatic belief with aggressive insult and to bash those who thought otherwise.

OK, OK, which thread? There are a number of them.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Um, did you read *this* thread, David?

Hint: there's a link up above....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
OK, OK, which thread? There are a number of them.
LaValse posted the link above

As ever, J.Mark, sarcasm becomes you ....

Sheesh, what an ugly and childish thread that was. And yes, I do think there was ugliness and childishness all around.

Disciple has a very big chip on his shoulder, and is easily provoked. But others here seem to have really enjoyed provoking him over and over in many threads. That's a spectator sport that doesn't sit well with me. I do not know the PianoStreet history, so I'll stay out of that.

Lord only knows why I have said anything in this unfortunate thread. All it'll likely get me is some vituperative comments or more sarcasm. The fact that I see bad behavior on all sides just ensures that everyone will diss me. laugh

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission