2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
rintincop,

With just a few points and clicks, anyone can start a Google Group. You can control access, so you can limit invitations to only those you want to include. Be your own moderator, if you like. Why not set up something like alt.tristano, or rec.music.tristano?

How about alt.mercurial-geniuses?

(Sorry, I can never resist a joke.)

Seriously, rintincop, I respect you immensely and I'm in awe of Disciple's talents and the contributions he has made here. I'm not trying to trivialize this thing.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Disciple was banned not because of the "Chopin/Liszt" thread, but because he bumped several threads to make personal attacks on other posters. We all fly off the handle every now and then (after all, it's the INTERNET!); however, spamming the forum with insults is simply unacceptable.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/16868/2.html#000029
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/16830.html#000023
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/16887/2.html#000036
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/16897.html#000021
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/17073.html#000014
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/17052/2.html#000027

A poster who went under the pseudonyms "Steinway" and "B-flat Minor" did the same thing a few years ago and we banned him as well. Disciple is obviously a fine pianist and musician, but that doesn't excuse acting in such a manner.

S
S
Just want to point out something that I found interesting:

Disciple was born in 1965 per his profile. Lennie Tristano died in 1978, when Disciple was 13 years old. In one of his posts, Disciple says:

"Lennie Tristano had me playing the Chopin Etudes in every key by the age of 15 as technical exercises, many AT and well beyond prescribed tempos."

Lennie Tristano was dead for 2 years before he had Disciple playing the Chopin Etudes in every key, etc. So, from that, one could either infer that Disciple was actually playing these pieces at the age of 13 (when Lennie was still alive); or that somehow between 13 and 15, he managed to coach himself from the basis he received from Lennie? Just wanted to point this out to the King of Greece, etc.

Baldwin SF-10 320152, Marshall & Wendell, Steinway B
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Secondo:
Just want to point out something that I found interesting:

Disciple was born in 1965 per his profile. Lennie Tristano died in 1978, when Disciple was 13 years old. In one of his posts, Disciple says:

"Lennie Tristano had me playing the Chopin Etudes in every key by the age of 15 as technical exercises, many AT and well beyond prescribed tempos."

Lennie Tristano was dead for 2 years before he had Disciple playing the Chopin Etudes in every key, etc. So, from that, one could either infer that Disciple was actually playing these pieces at the age of 13 (when Lennie was still alive); or that somehow between 13 and 15, he managed to coach himself from the basis he received from Lennie? Just wanted to point this out to the King of Greece, etc.
You are so off Secondo. He's stated his age already on this forum as mid-fifties. 1965 would put him at early forties. You're OVER a decade off.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

S
S
Profile for Disciple
Member Status: Full Member
Member Number: 22236
Interests: music
Birth Date: October 14, 1965
What brand(s) of piano do you own?: Yamaha C3

This is lifted from his profile. Check it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It is not correct, he stated his actual age several times. It could be a typo. It could be 1955, that would be in the ballpark.

In a private email we were discussing his age in relation to someone I know in jazz and he said they're about the same age.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

S
S
Could be. Just something I noticed. And when I looked at his Youtube recording he looked to me like a male in his early 40's, esp to look at his hands. (I am in my mid-50's)

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks Brendan for the moderator "big heave" explanation.

I'm sure we've all got much bigger fish to fry than to get scratchy over a chappie who insinuated that he could play all the Chopin Etudes ... some of us saw through the aggrandising pitch.

From my corner it wasn't the questioned ability to play any Etude ... it was the giveaway presumption that the Etudes are anything more than Studies ... mostly lacking the charm of the works in which the constructions were later used ... as such , we are talking about a fleet-fingered dude who presently lacks the musical insight to hit the big-time.

As the word implies Etude is a Study ... Chopin was ever experimenting with structural forms ranging over the full keyboard ... his genius has led to later generations expressing such awe at the gymnastics of these experimental "bridge-building" exercises ... that general consensus would appear to have us promote Etudes to that of masterpiece ... but it's rather like finding in some dusty attic a preparatory charcoal sketch of "The Reconciliation of David and Absolom" by Rembrandt ... (we must be so lucky!) and ignoring "The Night Watch".

Etudes are Studies ... with glimpses of rhythmic structures later included in bigger works ... great for developing nimble fingers but what really counts is how the pianist interprets a Chopin Nocturne.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think it was the throwaway '..and all the Godowsky studies..' that got me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by btb:
Thanks Brendan for the moderator "big heave" explanation.

I'm sure we've all got much bigger fish to fry than to get scratchy over a chappie who insinuated that he could play all the Chopin Etudes ... some of us saw through the aggrandising pitch.

From my corner it wasn't the questioned ability to play any Etude ... it was the giveaway presumption that the Etudes are anything more than Studies ... mostly lacking the charm of the works in which the constructions were later used ... as such , we are talking about a fleet-fingered dude who presently lacks the musical insight to hit the big-time.

As the word implies Etude is a Study ... Chopin was ever experimenting with structural forms ranging over the full keyboard ... his genius has led to later generations expressing such awe at the gymnastics of these experimental "bridge-building" exercises ... that general consensus would appear to have us promote Etudes to that of masterpiece ... but it's rather like finding in some dusty attic a preparatory charcoal sketch of "The Reconciliation of David and Absolom" by Rembrandt ... (we must be so lucky!) and ignoring "The Night Watch".

Etudes are Studies ... with glimpses of rhythmic structures later included in bigger works ... great for developing nimble fingers but what really counts is how the pianist interprets a Chopin Nocturne.
I am lucky enough to study jazz and piano with Disciple/Virtuosic1. On and off for the past 20 years. I started to read this forum about 2 months ago at his recommendantion. From my recollection, you are the one that wagered your car that he could not play a Chopin Etude of your choice.
If I recall, he accepted your challenge and you never replied. Come to think of it, now that he has been banned, this is the first time you have once again spoken on this subject. Are you going to honor your wager that he accepted. Or have you no honor?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
I think it was the throwaway '..and all the Godowsky studies..' that got me.
Sitting on one of the many shelves in Disciples home are about a half dozen manuscript books containing incredible variations on Chopin Etudes that he wrote. Some mild and some fantastically wild. Some appear to be unplayable by a single pianist, but he can play them all. Some of them make the Godowski Etudes, which I cannot play but have recordings of, sound simple. One of them is poly-metric, another a 10 voice fugue, another has fast moving block-like chords based on the melody that sound like a Stan Kenton horn section with impossible counter-figures in the left hand. Things that you can close your eyes and imagine 2 or 3 pianists playing.
If anybody wants to stand behind their criticism and challenges of Disciples abilities and honor their bets, please count me in for a piece of the action.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jazzwee:
It is not correct, he stated his actual age several times. It could be a typo. It could be 1955, that would be in the ballpark.

In a private email we were discussing his age in relation to someone I know in jazz and he said they're about the same age.
Disciple was born in 1953.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by btb:
we are talking about a fleet-fingered dude who presently lacks the musical insight to hit the big-time.

And you know that he lacks insight? Based on what?
He doesn't want the big-time. He was there, could have stayed there and was uncomfortable with the big-time. Preferred the small time teaching and doing studio work. As far as fleet fingered, I had no concept of how fast fingers can play lines until I saw it with my own eyes.
There does not seem to be a technical limit to what he can play and he rarely practices. He can chord faster than most pianists can play single note lines. I'm proud to be his student and most importantly, he is a great teacher. I always learn something new every time I see him.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
[Linked Image]

S
S
Where did you get that popcorn? I want some too!

S
S
BJ were you born in 1974, or is that a typo?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
BJ, Tell us more about your "teacher"

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
BJ I think he lost his honour somewhere amidst insulting Disciple....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:
BJ, Tell us more about your "teacher"
What would you like to know? What are you inferring by putting parentheses around "teacher"? That I'm him? That I'm posting at his behest? Why is it that everyone on this forum seems hellbent on wiping their jackboots on him with lies and innuendos? Then when someone who studies with him posts the truth, there's a problem? I've never heard of such nonsense and I know that I will probably be banned for not bashing him with the rest of you. Tell your moderators to check my IP and ISP if you think I'm him

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Secondo:
BJ were you born in 1974, or is that a typo?
Are you conducting a census? I am an adult. What personal information do you require of me?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission