Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1141345 - 06/17/05 08:00 PM how long did it take you to find a good teacher?
keytops Offline

Loc: Florida
I started learning from a Christian lady out of her house. She did not teach theory and just watched me play. She was also only $15. I stayed with her for 3 months. Then I went to a woman that rented the piano storage room at a music store. She was great until after the recital. I guess she didn't feel I was serious enough for her to teach since my dream wasn't to play concerts. I was with her since January. Last Tuesday I went to Larry Eisenburg (the iceman) and I must say his teaching style is different. It's fun. More of a laid back style. I don't know how classical teachers can sit with those sticks up their butts :p

Piano & Music Accessories
#1141346 - 06/17/05 08:24 PM Re: how long did it take you to find a good teacher?
TheAsianPianist Offline

Loc: Michigan
I found my teacher from a friend of mine. This guy didnt require recitals, so i thought it was a good idea. He challenges me, but he also gives me some space to do my own thing. Instead of making me learn and memorize chords, he gives me pieces and has me learn them along the way so that i can recognize them. This guy isnt that special, but he is extremely knowledgable about all kinds of music. I mean, I learn popular music, such as Five for Fighting, and classical, such as Rachmaninoff.

#1141347 - 06/18/05 07:08 AM Re: how long did it take you to find a good teacher?
Riyoku Sakimori Offline

Loc: Chesterfield, MO
I started when I was about 3 3/4 years old, but my teacher was terrible!!! So I never learned how to sightread properly and had to look up every single note every time I played a piece until I memorized it. I stopped after half a year and got a different teacher two years later. She was okay. I studied for a year or so until I moved to America where I didn't get a teacher for another year and SHE SUCKED!!! What was wrong with her? Teaching me to BANG out a MINUET!!! So we quit with her after 3 months and didn't get another teacher until 2 years ago where I had to start at a kindergarten level all over again... At least I had fun fooling around with my own ideas to keep up my finger skills >.<

#1141348 - 06/18/05 07:09 AM Re: how long did it take you to find a good teacher?
Riyoku Sakimori Offline

Loc: Chesterfield, MO
 Quote:
Originally posted by TheAsianPianist:
I found my teacher from a friend of mine. This guy didnt require recitals, so i thought it was a good idea. He challenges me, but he also gives me some space to do my own thing. Instead of making me learn and memorize chords, he gives me pieces and has me learn them along the way so that i can recognize them. This guy isnt that special, but he is extremely knowledgable about all kinds of music. I mean, I learn popular music, such as Five for Fighting, and classical, such as Rachmaninoff. [/b]
YOU'RE LUCKY!!!!! I HAVE to do recitals and competitions and my teacher seems to make me understand her forcibly and that hurts my brain... I want your teacher... \:D

#1141349 - 06/19/05 11:12 AM Re: how long did it take you to find a good teacher?
Jamie D. Offline

Loc: Louisville, Ky
I was with my first teacher 9 years. Looking back, he was incredible. He knew what I would become before I even did.
He was not big on teaching me theory. He didn't have recitals, but student get-togethers at his place around solo&ensemble time every year and we played for each other. He taught a lot of his students theory, but not me. I was also in band, chorus etc...
When he sensed I was getting stale, he turned me over to ear-training, and would work that into my weekly lesson. Then occasionally coerced me into singing, which scared the crap out of me, but I trusted him.
A good teacher has sensitivity, and a groove with each individual student. People all learn at different paces and each mind is different. When you have a teacher that really 'gets' that, life is good. He has really influenced my life more than he probably will ever know. He took the time to figure me out as a musician.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (AZ_Astro, accordeur, Atrys, angga888, antony, 34 invisible), 1194 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251517 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission